Author Topic: Samsung A550 impressions (Will update with the 30k to 1 contrast ratio ver)  (Read 26587 times)

Offline mickmads

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Samsung A550 impressions
« Reply #30 on: Oct 31, 2008 at 07:49 PM »
Hello po mga sir.

Question po regarding the sammy 32a550: ano po ang totoong end-to-end width niya? Some sites kasi nakalagay 865mm...some naman 31.5 inches...ano po ba talaga? Baka po pwede sukatin ng mga owners dito...shelf ko kasi 33 inches ang kasya na width...I asked SnS kanina and yung reply nila eh "Typically a 32 inch Sammy LCD has these dimensions: 865.0 x 499.8 x 79.0mm" so i assume di talaga nila sinukat.

TIA po

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #31 on: Oct 31, 2008 at 08:50 PM »
Hello po mga sir.

Question po regarding the sammy 32a550: ano po ang totoong end-to-end width niya? Some sites kasi nakalagay 865mm...some naman 31.5 inches...ano po ba talaga? Baka po pwede sukatin ng mga owners dito...shelf ko kasi 33 inches ang kasya na width...I asked SnS kanina and yung reply nila eh "Typically a 32 inch Sammy LCD has these dimensions: 865.0 x 499.8 x 79.0mm" so i assume di talaga nila sinukat.

TIA po

Mga ganun yun. When you say "typically" I think it means the average. My A550 has the same measurement. (865.0). What is your projected size ba? I'll try to measure it when I get home. Width lang ba?

Kung urgent need mo look at the Sammy Phil website accurate yun when it comes to dimensions. I checked the dimensions of my old 37R8 (before purchase)  because, I needed to make sure it would fit a particular shelf space, tama naman.

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2008 at 08:55 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline mickmads

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Oct 31, 2008 at 08:58 PM »
ok tnx po...according to samy phil website 865mm talaga ang width...di kasya sa shelf ko sayang

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Oct 31, 2008 at 09:02 PM »
ok tnx po...according to samy phil website 865mm talaga ang width...di kasya sa shelf ko sayang

Opo sir tama po yun ganun din po kasi yung akin. As far as I can remember yung sa sis ko na R8 na 32 nasa flat 800.

Offline louiemark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Nov 10, 2008 at 12:37 AM »
Sino nakagamit na ng samsung 32a550 as PC monitor?

magtatanung lang ho sana, kasi kaka bili ko lang din ng samung 32a550. I have an issue kasi na i can't make the pc work via hdmi connection. ayaw lumabas ng display sa tv pag hdmi gamit. i have an 8600gt sonic video card, it has two dvi slots then i use a dvi to hdmi female socket, then an hdmi cable from the socket to the hdmi slot of the tv. i read na sa hdmi2 slot dapat kabit pero ayaw pa din. currently i connected my pc via VGA lang, mejo hindi sharp ung image using vga eh, parang may konting shadowing effect... na experience nyo din po ba ito?

Offline Reply_SnS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Nov 15, 2008 at 09:29 PM »
Samsung models re-stocked at Sights and Sounds! (ALL WITH PHILIPPINE GUARANTEE)

Send us a PM for price list.

Offline ru$h

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Nov 16, 2008 at 04:01 PM »
how much na ang 32/42/37/ a550 ngayon? is it worth the upgrade from r81?

@Carlo777:

from your own personal experience, which do u prefer more? Pana lx80, LG plasma or this one?

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Nov 16, 2008 at 04:33 PM »
how much na ang 32/42/37/ a550 ngayon? is it worth the upgrade from r81?

@Carlo777:

from your own personal experience, which do u prefer more? Pana lx80, LG plasma or this one?

For all around purpose and price ratio I'd go for the 32A550, some say you can't tell the dif between 720p and 1080p at this size. For movies, yes, it's hard to tell the difference but for games, when you activate the just scan of the A550 @1080p you will see that it presents a cleaner and a better defined picture.For me, the 37 Toshiba CV500 is still the best for games, the "game" picture setting is cool to the eye, Samsung is still on the brighter side, but it was fixed via calibration naman.

I don't have an LG plasma so I can't say, the only advantage of the LX80 over the A550 is the perfect viewing angles.

Btw, I also have a 37R81, the picture of this unit is still very good and can hold it's own compared to the other models we mentioned here. If you're upgrading from that unit, again go for the A550 becuase of the full 1080p support. If you will upgrade from an R8 to an LX80 parang sayang lang bec the PQ dif is minimal tapos you'd still get a max of 1080i.

Just an honest regular consumers perspective.
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2008 at 04:39 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline azr1992

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Nov 17, 2008 at 05:25 AM »
Are the features and functions of the LA32550 worth the price increase over the LA32450?

Offline [joms]

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #39 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 06:59 AM »
What is the Philippines model of the Samsung PN50A550 ?   Does anyone know?  :)
Great minds discuss ideas. Small minds discuss people.

Offline ru$h

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 11:29 PM »
i see. how would you rate the PQ of the r81 and a550 in a side by side comparison?

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 02:41 AM »
i see. how would you rate the PQ of the r81 and a550 in a side by side comparison?

For Movies:

Can hardly see the difference, but the A550 has a refined version of the movie plus option (Still quirky sometimes)

For Cable:

None, nope, nada=) No difference

For Games:

Yes, if set at 1080p the A550 shows a more detailed and refined picture quality over the R8.

Offline ozziedlc

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 02:27 PM »
Also got the 550 as a computer monitor. I noticed that for watching movies on an HTPC, a lot of the bugs in the movie plus option goes away when you set the refresh rate to 50 Hz (default is 60 Hz), which more evenly matches 24p material. Don't know if this is bad for the TV though since the manual recommends 60 Hz, does anybody know?

Offline louiemark

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Nov 20, 2008 at 10:02 AM »
32a550 user too. Napansin ko nga din pag naka enable to either low mid or high and movie plus at some point nagiging choppy yung playback ng movies. I watch movies from my pc's hdd btw. So when ever i watch movies i simply switch off the movie plus.

another thing since i had a difficulty having my 32a550 to work as a pc monitor i'd like to share what i learned. I connected my pc to the tv via the HDMI2 slot. by default you'll notice that the picture doesn't look natural as a typical desktop pc. I tried tweaking with the picture options and all the sharpness/contrast/brightness/color/tint thing to come up with an authentic desktop look (picture quality that's sharp on the texts and very readable even on small fonts). Btw i also connected my pc via VGA so this was my point of reference because it yeilded what an ordinary desktop pc looks like. Then i stumbled to this option on the tv, On the menu -> sources/connection (forgot the exact menu title, but its the bottom tab on the left of the main menu), you will find the EDIT NAME option. Since the manual suggests that if you connect a PC via DVI/HDMI you should hook it the HDMI2 slot, edit the name of HDMI2 into "PC". By default you can see all the names of the sources into "--------". Instantly you'll notice the difference that the texts are very sharp and not hard on the eyes. Nevertheless, some of the picture options will be unavailable when you name HDMI2 to PC. So i guess if you'll be watching movies you can just switch back the HDMI2 so you can have full access of the picture options and all.

Hope this info helps. Hand down for this panel, i'm a very proud owner of the 32A550, Thanx Sir Vic of S&S!
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2008 at 10:04 AM by louiemark »

Offline ozziedlc

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Nov 20, 2008 at 05:28 PM »
Tried comparing having my video card output 24 Hz and 50 Hz (with movie plus). Both seem to get rid of judder when the camera pans or the environment is moving quickly, but 50 Hz with movie plus makes the environment a lot clearer. Made the comparison based on a 1080p mkv of Indiana Jones (particularly during the chase scene in the jungle), the Incredible Hulk (fight scene with the abomination), and Iron Man (when he flies off to Gulmira). There's still a little choppiness but I only notice when I'm sitting less than 4' away, even when set to high.

louiemark, saw somewhere in AVSforum that changing the HDMI name to "Game" takes out a lot of the input lag. At first, I also noticed that text doesn't appear as fine but I think my fonts became more "natural" when I took out the option for Clear Type in Display Settings.

Thank you Sir Vic and Sights and Sounds! Loving the Samsung and the installer came in yesterday to attach the wallbracket (He scratched it up but it's small and barely noticable  :P) And thank you for the OR - finally have my tax shield.

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #45 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 08:00 AM »
Tried comparing having my video card output 24 Hz and 50 Hz (with movie plus). Both seem to get rid of judder when the camera pans or the environment is moving quickly, but 50 Hz with movie plus makes the environment a lot clearer. Made the comparison based on a 1080p mkv of Indiana Jones (particularly during the chase scene in the jungle), the Incredible Hulk (fight scene with the abomination), and Iron Man (when he flies off to Gulmira). There's still a little choppiness but I only notice when I'm sitting less than 4' away, even when set to high.

louiemark, saw somewhere in AVSforum that changing the HDMI name to "Game" takes out a lot of the input lag. At first, I also noticed that text doesn't appear as fine but I think my fonts became more "natural" when I took out the option for Clear Type in Display Settings.

Thank you Sir Vic and Sights and Sounds! Loving the Samsung and the installer came in yesterday to attach the wallbracket (He scratched it up but it's small and barely noticable  :P) And thank you for the OR - finally have my tax shield.

i also made a comparisson between 24hz, 25hz and 23.963hz... based on my observation, this settings matches specific materials because there were 1080p & 720p mkv's that plays flawless in 23.963hz but stutter on 24hz & 25hz... and there were 1080p materials that stutter in 23.963hz, 24hz & 25hz but flawless in default 60hz... this is just my observation...

therefore, i just set it to 60hz (default) so it could play all flawlessly... i don't know if hz setting affects clarity/color/sharpness of picture... i tried to distinguish but i don't have the "gifted eye" ;D

any inputs mga ser?

Offline ozziedlc

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 07:47 PM »
I'm not using powerstrip to set refresh rates, just the nvidia driver so I can't comment on refresh rates other than 24/25/30/50/60Hz. And I didn't mean to confuse anyone. IMO, I just noticed that the movie plus option works great only with 50 Hz. 60Hz plays anything flawless... but without movie plus. Noted the same thing though- some movies don't look so natural at 24 Hz and there were some movies I played that had problems with audio (unsynchronized). To take advantage of the 24p film playback of the 5 series, one might need a dedicated Bluray player.

Also, question's still up: Will setting my refresh rate to 50 Hz cause long term damage? The manual (either local or U.S. version) says its not supported even though it CAN readily accept the signal via HDMI without any display issues.

Offline mjt926

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Nov 24, 2008 at 09:27 PM »
Anong recommended na display settings ang ginamit nyo? at sound sttings din? hindi kasi masyado maganda ang sounds ng set. :)
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2008 at 09:27 PM by mjt926 »

Offline Bolshoie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Nov 25, 2008 at 06:57 PM »
Anong recommended na display settings ang ginamit nyo? at sound sttings din? hindi kasi masyado maganda ang sounds ng set. :)

minsan talaga pag di na tayo kuntento sa sounds galing sa tv speakers mas recommended na to use external ones specially if you love watching movies, marami na murang htib ngayon sir atleast naka 5.1 ka pa ;)

Offline Niknok

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Nov 25, 2008 at 07:30 PM »
Sino nakagamit na ng samsung 32a550 as PC monitor?

magtatanung lang ho sana, kasi kaka bili ko lang din ng samung 32a550. I have an issue kasi na i can't make the pc work via hdmi connection. ayaw lumabas ng display sa tv pag hdmi gamit. i have an 8600gt sonic video card, it has two dvi slots then i use a dvi to hdmi female socket, then an hdmi cable from the socket to the hdmi slot of the tv. i read na sa hdmi2 slot dapat kabit pero ayaw pa din. currently i connected my pc via VGA lang, mejo hindi sharp ung image using vga eh, parang may konting shadowing effect... na experience nyo din po ba ito?

does your vga cable have a ferrite core? this helps remove/reduce the shadowing effect.

Offline jojitv

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Nov 26, 2008 at 11:51 AM »
does your vga cable have a ferrite core? this helps remove/reduce the shadowing effect.

I do notice some shadowing effect, but it's barely noticeable. I don't think my cable has ferrite cores.
SARS!!!

Offline louiemark

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Nov 27, 2008 at 10:48 AM »
I dont use the VGA cable anymore to connect my pc to the tv. Currently i use HDMI2 port, i edited the name of HDMI2 to PC then like magic...the desktop image realy looks sharp without any shadowing effect whatsoever.

Offline Rak-Rak

• DVD Addict
  • MKV Addic
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Nov 27, 2008 at 11:25 AM »
I dont use the VGA cable anymore to connect my pc to the tv. Currently i use HDMI2 port, i edited the name of HDMI2 to PC then like magic...the desktop image realy looks sharp without any shadowing effect whatsoever.

It really look like a regular PC monitor? how does it look with playing 1080p MKV movies?

Offline louiemark

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Nov 27, 2008 at 05:38 PM »
@ Rak-Rak

Yes it does look very much like a pc monitor...its just that its way bigger! haha. But the texts are realy sharp and easy on the eyes when reading small texts (font 12 times new roman). Haven't tried watching bluray with my pc. But if with the ps3 on hdmi1 then edit name of hdmi1 to PC nothing will happen compared when u editname hdmi2 (which is my pc) to PC, the monitor wil refresh then instantly the texts and images are sharp like a pc monitor.

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Nov 27, 2008 at 06:14 PM »
Hi, i am still undecided on which one to buy... The Panasonic 37LX80 or the Samsung 37A550?

Anyone who can give me an idea about the difference in performance between these 2 lcds as well as price comparisson (cash and credit card)?

a little help here mga sirs, or a recommendation if there are still brands/models better than these 2 lcds, of course it should be within the price range of these units ;)

thanks,
reynold :)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline mjt926

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Nov 27, 2008 at 08:31 PM »
Help. Anong recommended display settings nyo sa samsung la32a550?

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Nov 27, 2008 at 10:31 PM »
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FOR TOMMOROW!
Join the 1 DAY SALE on November 28, 2008

Samsung 32" Full HD LA32A330 at P27500. cash. Add P5K for a htib HTZ210.
- strictly 1 day sale, no sale extension
- no free delivery
- Samsung Phil. warranty.
- Free Christmas Concert DVD and CD. (New Added Promo)
- Free TV calibration within Manila after 60 days TV purchase.

Visit Sights and Sounds 4th level Shangri-La Plaza.

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose IƱigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Nov 28, 2008 at 03:25 AM »
Hi, i am still undecided on which one to buy... The Panasonic 37LX80 or the Samsung 37A550?

Anyone who can give me an idea about the difference in performance between these 2 lcds as well as price comparisson (cash and credit card)?

a little help here mga sirs, or a recommendation if there are still brands/models better than these 2 lcds, of course it should be within the price range of these units ;)

thanks,
reynold :)

As far as I know the A550 is already full HD while the Panny LX80 is only HD ready... haven't seen a 37" A550 locally though... alam k0 32" then jumps to 40" yata

Offline red_one

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Nov 28, 2008 at 06:33 AM »
i saw a toshiba 32cv500 and samsung 32a550 side-by-side at a shop playing the same HD source. i stayed for 30 minutes watching both and i preferred the picture quality of toshiba. although it is not full-hd, i find the colors more natural, vibrant and pleasing than samsung.

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Nov 28, 2008 at 07:47 AM »
As far as I know the A550 is already full HD while the Panny LX80 is only HD ready... haven't seen a 37" A550 locally though... alam k0 32" then jumps to 40" yata

correct bro... walang 37" sa series 5... malamang series 4 yung compare nya sa panasonic...