Author Topic: WD TV HD Media Player  (Read 181800 times)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: WD TV HD Media Player
« Reply #150 on: Dec 11, 2008 at 09:10 PM »
May problema pa rin pala sa codec-firmware compatibility.

Please post what video spec combinations work well (container/codec/bitrate combinations).

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 09:35 AM »
Based on Gren's initial impressions, it's telling me that most files tagged 720p would work fine (MKV or AVI container, video bitrate 7kbps below).

And for those interested in 1080ps, it's telling me to wait for updates, or just stay away from those high bitrate encodes so as not to get disappointed.

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2646
« Reply #152 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 10:43 AM »
me seller sa tpc 5850 benta niya

http://tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=2705294
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline burnok123

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 10:45 AM »
if 720p has no problem...gren is it possible that all contents on the drive will be 720p only?

coz may panel is 32" but HD ready.  i think theres no difference in PQ using 32" panel...im a correct guys?

thanks....

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 10:51 AM »

coz may panel is 32" but HD ready.  i think theres no difference in PQ using 32" panel...im a correct guys?

Not exactly.  Dont think of the encoded files in terms of 720p or 1080p resolution per se as they are essentially compressed files.   Think of them in terms of video bitrates.  For the most part, a higher bitrate video stream should look better unless your TV is 14 inch. 
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2008 at 10:52 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #155 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 11:09 AM »
if 720p has no problem...gren is it possible that all contents on the drive will be 720p only?

thanks....

i think you will be very happy by just playing 720p files in your set-up. at the same time, you save a lot of disc space for more movies.

i actually only collect 720p movies. with some 1080p, and watch this on a 37" lcd panel. my eyes cant tell the difference between the two files and if there is a difference, its something i can live with by watching the 720p file. but the 1080p file is double in size (usually).

and now that i have shifted to projector viewing, i thought i would see a big difference now that its already in a bigger screen. but happy to report that on my 85" inch screen, i still find the 720p file very acceptable and the difference is not that big for me to shift to 1080p files. sayang kasi yung hdd real estate.

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #156 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 11:58 AM »
i think you will be very happy by just playing 720p files in your set-up. at the same time, you save a lot of disc space for more movies.

i actually only collect 720p movies. with some 1080p, and watch this on a 37" lcd panel. my eyes cant tell the difference between the two files and if there is a difference, its something i can live with by watching the 720p file. but the 1080p file is double in size (usually).

and now that i have shifted to projector viewing, i thought i would see a big difference now that its already in a bigger screen. but happy to report that on my 85" inch screen, i still find the 720p file very acceptable and the difference is not that big for me to shift to 1080p files. sayang kasi yung hdd real estate.

good to hear that! i might as well stick with 720p then, sayang space.  ;D

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 12:36 PM »
eto naman ang opinion ko...libre na nga bakit pa titipirin?   ang mura naman ng HDD real estate para tipirin  ;D  so kung makukuha mo, why not?

for the sake of science, sinong may gustong mag-compare ng 720p TDK (that you have) sa TDK (that I have - 16GB, 12mpbs)?

in my case, it's pretty obvious the softness of 720p encodes compared to 1080p for most titles.
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2008 at 12:42 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline burnok123

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 12:50 PM »
tama po...if i have the luxury of having lots of Hdd's, high bandwidth DSL and 37"+ panels i'll go with 1080p... ;D

but if im using 32" panel only i think 720p is enough..im i right?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 01:23 PM »
tama po...if i have the luxury of having lots of Hdd's, high bandwidth DSL and 37"+ panels i'll go with 1080p... ;D

but if im using 32" panel only i think 720p is enough..im i right?

Anything that is free should be considered enough out of courtesy.  ;D  Anything better than avi or DVD is enough... It's not a question of enough or not enough.  Again these are the most important conditions - if you can somehow manage to get it and your hardware can handle it,  why not.   Pati nga 32 inch HDTV na super fine pitch CRT, kitang mas maganda yung 1080p ei.

Right now, I really don't see the point of conserving hard drive space given the nature of contents we are talking about, and the fact that you can delete it anytime anyways.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 01:25 PM »
eto naman ang opinion ko...libre na nga bakit pa titipirin?   ang mura naman ng HDD real estate para tipirin  ;D  so kung makukuha mo, why not?

for the sake of science, sinong may gustong mag-compare ng 720p TDK (that you have) sa TDK (that I have - 16GB, 12mpbs)?

in my case, it's pretty obvious the softness of 720p encodes compared to 1080p for most titles.

hehehe, you might be right sir clondalkin, nobody can argue against that, a higher bit rate file will definitely sound or look better. but as previously discussed in a thread somewhere, some people dont like the encodes to be too crisp and clear, iba pa rin yung may konting film-like feel to it. but of course the wow factor of seeing these 1080p encodes are really... WOW!  :o :o :o That's why i remembered during the shoot out, the nmts won over bds because of how these 1080p files were encoded.

anyway, kung saan tayo masaya eh d okey, atleast there are choices for everyone. your lucky you have 4tbs worth of hdd real estate (and growing i presume) and ultra fast dsl connection, some of us might not have the resources to buy so many hdd in such short time span, so getting the same number of titles like you will only take us 2 tb of hdd (for 720p files) which is a 50% or difference in both time and money.  :)

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 01:28 PM »
In my opinion, given the price point of the WD TV, and since Im confident that it will play 720 encodes well enough, then it's a fairly good product.

But I would love to see it play 1080ps too,and flawlessly, if at all possible.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 01:38 PM »
In my opinion, given the price point of the WD TV, and since Im confident that it will play 720 encodes well enough, then it's a fairly good product.

But I would love to see it play 1080ps too,and flawlessly, if at all possible.

+1 sir clondalkin, sa equipments, as much as possible it should play everything para if ever one is ready to take the plunge with regards to higher bit rate files. then they should not have to upgrade their hardware again.

btw, it so apt that right now that you also have 1080 post as well!  ;D

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 01:43 PM »
+1 sir clondalkin, sa equipments, as much as possible it should play everything para if ever one is ready to take the plunge with regards to higher bit rate files. then they should not have to upgrade their hardware again.

btw, it so apt that right now that you also have 1080 post as well!  ;D

Oo nga no..hehe

BTW, why worry about getting 1080ps.  Let Gren and the likes of myself worry about that.  Just make sure you have the container.  O diba  ;D ;D ;D

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 01:44 PM »
Oo nga no..hehe

BTW, why worry about getting 1080ps.  Let Gren and the likes of myself worry about that.  Just make sure you have the container.  O diba  ;D ;D ;D

haha. tama ka dyan sir!  ;D

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 02:00 PM »
Oo nga no..hehe

ALRIGHT!!! :D :D :D

Offline gren

• Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 04:39 PM »
your eyes get used to the details and you tend to notice flaws after a while.  the issue isn't as much detail (pretty -similar- between 720 and 1080) but you tend to see more x264 related compression artifacts on low bit rate files.

you also sacrifice a lot of colour information, something i never noticed until someone pointed it out to me (since i've always claimed not to be a -colours- guy, rather, i'm more of a -details- person).

check 10000 BC in bluray and try to compress it to 4gb, and you'd see that the skies just do not look the same shade of blue.  and this is compressing from 17gb down to 4gb (4:1 ratio).  Some films also show more artifacts than others, compare IRobot in its original form, to a 15gb version down to a 4gb and a 2gb one.  Note the introductory screen, compression is very much evident there.

thing is, for new viewers, the increased 'detail' offsets all other artifacts/compression-related loss; but the more you watch, the more you might notice flaws; of course, your mileage will definitely vary.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 05:01 PM »
Korek, compression artifacts/blockings especially sa monotonous background and facial complexion. Definitely more visible on 720p encodes.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Dec 13, 2008 at 12:40 AM »
Korek, compression artifacts/blockings especially sa monotonous background and facial complexion. Definitely more visible on 720p encodes.

+1 agree! but the point is.... still acceptable to me.  ;D

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Dec 13, 2008 at 12:41 AM »
mga sirs! wag na tayo mag talo. point is, to each his own!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline vwbeetle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Dec 13, 2008 at 07:54 AM »
i got the wd tv player, after some research i decided that for my needs its the best buy out there

my intial impressions-- i was correct :)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Dec 13, 2008 at 10:34 AM »

Good for you, sir vwbeetle.  The way I see it, you'll be disappointed if you're looking for cutting-edge tech.  But you'll be happy if you're looking for something cheap and simple.

Please advise:

Is it true that a 1TB takes way too long to scan at initialization?

If I want initialization scan speed to be similar to the loading speed of a standard DVD , what My Passport maximum size would you recommend?

« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2008 at 10:43 AM by barrister »

Offline defjam

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: Dec 14, 2008 at 11:51 AM »
saw this player yesterday at one of the shops in vmall. they were selling it for 5.9k. i dont know if you can haggle the price pa. :D

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Dec 14, 2008 at 11:58 AM »
saw this player yesterday at one of the shops in vmall. they were selling it for 5.9k. i dont know if you can haggle the price pa. :D

very nice price. oks to for 2nd mkv unit, since it has a small foot print, great for travelling.  ;D

Offline demmet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I follow the worldwide rule "Sharing is Caring"
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Dec 14, 2008 at 12:02 PM »
Good for you, sir vwbeetle.  The way I see it, you'll be disappointed if you're looking for cutting-edge tech.  But you'll be happy if you're looking for something cheap and simple.

Please advise:

Is it true that a 1TB takes way too long to scan at initialization?

If I want initialization scan speed to be similar to the loading speed of a standard DVD , what My Passport maximum size would you recommend?

From my own personal experience,i haved a WD 1tb and it takes only 1 to 1 1/2 minutes for the loading speed.( 150(still growing) Mkv files)

for your query for the passport,give me some time.have to pick it  2morrow morning.(2 250g Passport). ;D ;D ;D

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
Western Digital WDTV Media Player for Flat Panels
« Reply #175 on: Dec 14, 2008 at 01:24 PM »
I put up this thread to discuss about Western Digital WDTV. Anyone is free to post his opinion of how it performs with the HD flat panels.

WESTERN DIGITAL WDTV MEDIA PLAYER

Check out this reviews:

http://www.popphoto.com/testsreviews/5648/wd-tv-product-review.html

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Western Digital WDTV Media Player for Flat Panels
« Reply #176 on: Dec 14, 2008 at 01:32 PM »
I think this belongs to the NMTs section?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: Dec 14, 2008 at 03:10 PM »
Thanks, sir.  250GB sounds just about right.  Not too small, but at the same time not big to be slow and expensive.

I'll wait for your post. 

Offline joeyrodil

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi to everyone!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: Dec 14, 2008 at 04:52 PM »
have anyone tried if DTS decoding is supported in this device?
do not do unto others what can you do for today

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Dec 14, 2008 at 06:02 PM »
have anyone tried if DTS decoding is supported in this device?

i dont think its supported, you have to have a receiver to decode dts.