Author Topic: MKV question:setting up new pc need suggestions  (Read 7944 times)

Offline defjam

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
MKV question:setting up new pc need suggestions
« on: Nov 19, 2008 at 10:04 AM »
guys can i play these files on my windows media player or do i have to install new codecs to play them?if so where can i get the latest codecs?my wmp is version 9. sorry sa noob question :D :D
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2008 at 01:19 AM by defjam »

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: MKV question
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 10:43 AM »
guys can i play these files on my windows media player or do i have to install new codecs to play them?if so where can i get the latest codecs?my wmp is version 9. sorry sa noob question :D

Windows Media Player cannot play MKV files.. Download an MKV player from the net..
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline defjam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 10:51 AM »
whats the most reliable mkv player sir?any suggestions? :)

Offline demmet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I follow the worldwide rule "Sharing is Caring"
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 11:06 AM »
vlc and kmplayer  ---google it. ;)

Offline simonzaide

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • "anything is possible"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 11:13 AM »
im using vlc right now seems to do the job pretty well

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 11:23 AM »
Make sure also your video card can handle the "resolution" of your mkv file..
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline Rak-Rak

• DVD Addict
  • MKV Addic
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 08:20 AM »
Make sure also your video card can handle the "resolution" of your mkv file..

mkv files rely more on Processor power than videocard.
except for newer 1080p mkv files that tags the videocard for acceleration.

Offline defjam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 12:04 PM »
my processor is only a p4 na 2.66ghz (i dont know kung tama pinag sasabi ko?di talaga ako techie i usually ask a techie friend to fix the pc for me if may sira) tapos memory is only 512mb..i tried to play an mkv file na 720p resolution and choppy nga ang labas sa pc, but when i play the file sa egreat ok naman sha..ano ang kailangan ko palitan sa pc ko para mag play man lang ng 720p mkv files?

OT: your probably asking why i need to play the files in my pc if i have an egreat naman...answer is the movies na hindi naman masyado pang ht sa pc ko pinapanuod to save on electricity :D kuripot no?and movies such as mama mia and sex in the city na wife ko lang nanunuod sa pc nalang kasi she doesnt know how to operate the gears :D :D baka masira pa iyak ako nun :D

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 12:12 PM »
my processor is only a p4 na 2.66ghz (i dont know kung tama pinag sasabi ko?di talaga ako techie i usually ask a techie friend to fix the pc for me if may sira) tapos memory is only 512mb..i tried to play an mkv file na 720p resolution and choppy nga ang labas sa pc, but when i play the file sa egreat ok naman sha..ano ang kailangan ko palitan sa pc ko para mag play man lang ng 720p mkv files?

OT: your probably asking why i need to play the files in my pc if i have an egreat naman...answer is the movies na hindi naman masyado pang ht sa pc ko pinapanuod to save on electricity :D kuripot no?and movies such as mama mia and sex in the city na wife ko lang nanunuod sa pc nalang kasi she doesnt know how to operate the gears :D :D baka masira pa iyak ako nun :D
save up and change the whole setup bro .. :)
that is because youll be spending a lot to upgrade a p4 2.66ghz and ram (ddr) ..
besides iirc p4s fsb is just around 133-166mhz .. its just too slow .. sorry :(
ninjababez online ..

Offline defjam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 12:28 PM »
save up and change the whole setup bro .. :)
that is because youll be spending a lot to upgrade a p4 2.66ghz and ram (ddr) ..
besides iirc p4s fsb is just around 133-166mhz .. its just too slow .. sorry :(

:D bro you lost me at "besides iirc p4s fsb is just around 133-166mhz .. its just too slow" di ko alam kung ano ung "iirc" and ung fsb :D. if ever i decide to upgrade what should i buy and how much do you think is the damage compared to saving up and buying a new setup? kasi i only use the pc for watching movies and downloading, a little net surfing,no games.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 12:49 PM »
:D bro you lost me at "besides iirc p4s fsb is just around 133-166mhz .. its just too slow" di ko alam kung ano ung "iirc" and ung fsb :D. if ever i decide to upgrade what should i buy and how much do you think is the damage compared to saving up and buying a new setup? kasi i only use the pc for watching movies and downloading, a little net surfing,no games.

IIRC  :D
fsb is like a path where the data travels .. :)
IMO p4 processors are too old to get a decent upgrade ..
a 15k budget should give you a decent htpc .. :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 01:00 PM »
Windows Media Player cannot play MKV files.. Download an MKV player from the net..

My WMP plays MKV files, forgot how I did it though.

Offline defjam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 01:03 PM »
IIRC  :D
fsb is like a path where the data travels .. :)
IMO p4 processors are too old to get a decent upgrade ..
a 15k budget should give you a decent htpc .. :)

di ba pwede ung processor lang change ko and add a 1gb ram?or parang domino effect yan na if i change the processor, i have to change the mother board etc etc? kasi i have 2 hd's na 250gb and 40gb, 2 dvd drives.will it still cost me 15k or does the 15k come with the hd's and dvd drives na?

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 01:05 PM »
My WMP plays MKV files, forgot how I did it though.
its because windows media player uses the codecs you downloaded  :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 01:08 PM »
di ba pwede ung processor lang change ko and add a 1gb ram?or parang domino effect yan na if i change the processor, i have to change the mother board etc etc? kasi i have 2 hd's na 250gb and 40gb, 2 dvd drives.will it still cost me 15k or does the 15k come with the hd's and dvd drives na?
with your existing hardware .. id say youll save around, more or less 5k  ;)
ninjababez online ..

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 01:12 PM »
Defjam, I would not advise you to spend money for upgrades on that old rig.

Tama si Ninj.  Save money and build a new one that is 1080p capable.

You have to have a C2D or equivalent system in order to play to 1080ps.  There is no way you can upgrade from a P4 to a C2D because the old motherboard will not support C2D at all.   It may not even support a Pentium D.

If ever you want to re-use any part, most likely yung hard drive lang (SATA ba?), the desktop case and the optical drives.   Your RAMs will be too slow.  

Offline defjam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 07:42 PM »
ok sir so ano ung mga recommended nyo na parts?bali all i need is a  1.new motherboard 2.new processor 3.at least 1gb ram or 2gb..is that it or do i need a vid card as well?and ano ung mahina lang sa electricity na parts kasi baka mamaya kahit im not using the pc to watch movies malakas parin ung consumption nya. ;D

Offline defjam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 08:13 PM »
BTW i dont need the mobo to have hdmi connection kasi i have an egreat that i have connected to my tv, i will use the pc lang to watch series/movies na pwede na sa 17" lcd ko. masaya narin ako sa bose speakers ko kaya all i need is for the mkv files that are in 720p/1080p to work flawlessly(audio and video) without hiccups. :) i dont use my pc rin for gaming.internet lang and movies. suggest naman kayo ng rig na di naman kamahalan pero of course wag din ung sandali lang baka bumigay na. kumbaga sa receiver ung mid level na :D help htpc gurus! :)

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2008 at 06:29 AM »
ok sir so ano ung mga recommended nyo na parts?bali all i need is a  1.new motherboard 2.new processor 3.at least 1gb ram or 2gb..is that it or do i need a vid card as well?and ano ung mahina lang sa electricity na parts kasi baka mamaya kahit im not using the pc to watch movies malakas parin ung consumption nya. ;D
processor amd 5000 + x2 (or above) - 3.3k
mobo 780g - 3.3k
2gb ram - 2k (or less)

no need to get a video card since the 780g chipset was designed to run hd contents  ;)

BTW i dont need the mobo to have hdmi connection kasi i have an egreat that i have connected to my tv, i will use the pc lang to watch series/movies na pwede na sa 17" lcd ko. masaya narin ako sa bose speakers ko kaya all i need is for the mkv files that are in 720p/1080p to work flawlessly(audio and video) without hiccups. :) i dont use my pc rin for gaming.internet lang and movies. suggest naman kayo ng rig na di naman kamahalan pero of course wag din ung sandali lang baka bumigay na. kumbaga sa receiver ung mid level na :D help htpc gurus! :)
well youre in luck cause emaxx 780g has all 3 display connection .. d-sub (vga), dvi, and hdmi ..  :D
you can use the vga for your monitor and hdmi for your hdtv (you may not want to use this but atleast youll have the option  ;)  )  :D

btw if you dont like/trust the brand name emaxx, you can get either a gigabyte or asus
and if you dont like ati chipset, you can use the nvidia chipset counter part (ask nerveblocker, he owns one)  :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline defjam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 22, 2008 at 09:17 AM »
processor amd 5000 + x2 (or above) - 3.3k
mobo 780g - 3.3k
2gb ram - 2k (or less)

no need to get a video card since the 780g chipset was designed to run hd contents  ;)
well youre in luck cause emaxx 780g has all 3 display connection .. d-sub (vga), dvi, and hdmi ..  :D
you can use the vga for your monitor and hdmi for your hdtv (you may not want to use this but atleast youll have the option  ;)  )  :D

btw if you dont like/trust the brand name emaxx, you can get either a gigabyte or asus
and if you dont like ati chipset, you can use the nvidia chipset counter part (ask nerveblocker, he owns one)  :D

wow at least below 10k sya :D  :)

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Nov 22, 2008 at 09:47 AM »
wow at least below 10k sya :D  :)
that doesnt include the powersupply and case .. :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline defjam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Nov 22, 2008 at 10:15 AM »
that doesnt include the powersupply and case .. :D
do i nees to replace the power supply and case o pwede na ung luma ko? :D matipid ba yan sa kuryente kasi ung new amd parang more efficient ca electricity db?

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 22, 2008 at 11:00 AM »
do i nees to replace the power supply and case o pwede na ung luma ko? :D matipid ba yan sa kuryente kasi ung new amd parang more efficient ca electricity db?
get a new psu .. :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline defjam

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: MKV question:setting up new pc need suggestions
« Reply #23 on: Nov 22, 2008 at 11:08 AM »
 :D mukhang new pc na nga kailangan ko.oh well step by step nalang muna.i'll stick with my old pc muna then next year nalang bili ng bago.thanks sa mga advice :D

Offline carlhenry

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2009 at 08:44 PM »
kung gusto mo sobrang tipid sa kuryente buy an acer aspire x3200 sa villman! hehehe yun ang use ko..
its around 16k without a monitor. super tipid xa sobra. best buy kasi its an htpc - home theatre PC. dolby digital pa!
perfect setup na wala na kelangan change except for the ram for watching videos.

here's the link:
http://www.villman.com/Product-Detail/X3200

upgrade mo na rin sa 2GB yung ram para sure ka kaya nya play lahat ng smooth especially mkv files.

no need to upgrade your current system kasi baka marealize mo kelangan mo upgrade lahat.
getting a new processor will cost you a new mobo. and im thinking kelangan mo rin upgrade video card mo
at least geforce 8-series (8400, 8500 models and so on...) better if 9-series kasi mas madami silang features on video playback.
getting a new ram compatible for your new mobo rin kelangan mo consider... and the list goes on....

pero if insist mo upgrade yung current system eto yung highlights ng must haves:
graphics card: nvidia 9400 or up
procie: core2 duo at least 2.4GHz
2GB ram
a certain codec pack (k-lite codec pack) or player (i've heard kmplayer are one of the fastest and best on playing mkv files.)

Offline dm1179

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2009 at 03:32 PM »
sayang, phased out na ung acer x3200 sa villman website. replaced by acer x1200 which is almost 18K.
...guaranteed to rock your world!

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 05:50 AM »
sayang, phased out na ung acer x3200 sa villman website. replaced by acer x1200 which is almost 18K.
you can always assemble a clone unit  :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 07:01 AM »
Mas mura pa. ;D

Kotak mo si kiko. ;)

Last week ang estimate price niya, mga 12K na lang, XP ang OS. ;) :D