Author Topic: DVICO TViX M-6500A - Enhanced GUI, BD Menu, TrueHD, DTS-HD, and Dolby Digital +  (Read 18983 times)

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
    I’m writing this review for the benefit of members who are planning to acquire their first NMT or hard disk-based media player, or for those who are contemplating to replace their current players.

First, a backgrounder – earlier this year, I was planning to build an HTPC to complement the new flat panel display that I acquired.  My idea of an HTPC is probably a little different than the most of the HTPC setups that I’ve read in the other threads – a lot are using their HTPC’s as workhorse PC and for gaming.  My intention was to setup an HTPC that would fit in the AV rack in the living room and simply function as a media center – being in the living room, aesthetics is quite important, and that most small PC cases would not fit on standard AV racks (due to height), hence the options are limited to expensive HTPC casings (such as Antec and Silverstone HTPC cases).

The disadvantage of setting up an HTPC for the purpose that I have in mind is that it would be quite expensive and a lot of PC resources will not be utilized … then came the Popcorn Hour.  I was one of the early adapters of the PCH A-100 because it is purpose built for the functions and features that I require for an HTPC.  PCH and Egreat NMT’s would serve basically all the requirements of the end-users when it comes to video playing capability, but there’s very limited features when playing music and viewing photos (default is sequential music playing and photo viewing – I’ve read that there are tweaks or user group produced applications to improve this, but quite cumbersome to implement).  Other quirks that I’m not comfortable with the PCH are as follows – firmware is really a work in progress (some stability issues encountered), remote control is not responsive and not user friendly.  This made me rethink again about the HTPC project that I originally planned or another device that would play my music and photos the way I want it (simple lang naman requirement ko – music playlist, shuffle, and music background when viewing photos).

Then entered the DVICO TViX M-6500A.  Three weeks ago, I was on a vacation in Bangkok and Singapore.  Being frustrated with the music playing capability of the PCH, I was bent on buying an iPod dock in Singapore that is compatible with my Denon AVR and an iPod to store my music and photos – I intended to use my PCH purely for video where it was really excellent.  While window shopping in Bangkok, I came across a DVICO TViX M-6500A in an AV showroom – I auditioned the unit for more than an hour and really examined the functions and features.  What I found are as follows –

The DVICO TViX M-6500A advantages over the PCH are as follows –

• The firmware is very stable – I tried playing, stopping, FF and switching to different media files (HD video, SD video, audio, and photos) and never experienced a hang-up, and never required to reboot the system
    • The remote control is very user friendly and very responsive – dedicated buttons to jump to audio, video, photo, and setup …no need to navigate step-by-step
    • Music playing – can recognize Winamp playlist, can do shuffle play
    • Photo viewing – shuffle play and with background music is possible
    • Memory/bookmark recall – similar to standard DVD functionality … you can return to the point that you halted playing the video when you come back to play the same video
    • Power-off switch on the remote and front of unit
    • Multi-speed fan (slow, fast, and normal setting is temperature sensing > speeds-up when temperature is high and slows down when temperature is low)
    • Internal fan is super silent, not noticeable at all even at high speed
    • VFD screen display is very useful and impressive – you can use it to navigate without the tv when playing music
    • Internal HDD is formatted as Windows NTFS, hence there’s no need to install any application on your PC to recognize the HDD
    • HD Audio(TrueHD, DTS HD MA) Pass-through through HDMI support on current firmware version
    • Supports Gigabit Ethernet connection

What the TViX M-6500A cannot do

• Network functionality is limited to local network connectivity for file sharing and media center functionality – no access to Youtube or Internet TV (these were the functions that I was really excited when I bought my PCH, but in the long run, it is really much better to use such functions on your PC – navigating through these using the PCH remote is not the best thing to do)

The TViX M-6500A is quite expensive in Bangkok (almost PhP 35k with only 320GB HDD bundled in the package).  I got a good deal however in Singapore – it was around PhP 19k without HDD + PhP 8k with 1.5TB HDD.  I decided to sell my PCH and replace it with the TViX M-6500A.  There was a higher model, the M-7000A – there was no difference in specs and functions, the only difference is the cylindrical metal chassis of the M-7000A which was aesthetically impressive … for an additional S$100 however, I decided to shell that amount for the HDD.

In summary, I got the TViX M-6500A for its stability, overall features, and user friendliness – it’s probably what most consumers want in an appliance.  Admittedly, the unit is more expensive than PCH and Egreat, but it is still cheaper than an HTPC and I can say that the switch was really worth it.

Once you got your contents loaded, it’s simply plug-and-play without worries … you really do not have to wait for the next firmware update to get the features and functions that you need … HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2010 at 09:18 PM by raptor »
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
Re: DVICO TViX M-6500A
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2008 at 04:01 AM »
Here are some pictures of the unit taken from DVICO website -

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2008 at 04:08 AM »
Here are some pics of my setup and the TViX M-6500A in action -

Setup shown on pics: Panasonic 42PV8, Denon 1909, Pioneer DV400, DVICO TViX M-6500A, Dali Concept 6 & Center

Offline bono vox

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2008 at 11:33 AM »
bro, is this available locally, where and how much?

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2008 at 12:14 PM »
Here's a link to a review of the TViX M-6500A (with some comparisons with PCH) -

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/0,39029552,49297843,00.htm

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2008 at 12:21 PM »
bro, is this available locally, where and how much?

Sir,

Earlier models are available at Villman, you can check-out their website.  I asked the distributor in Singapore, if he can shipped it here in the Philippines - it is possible with a minimum order of 5 units, but the estimated price after shipment is around PhP 21k without the HDD ... i'm thinking that the price is quite stiff in comparison with the local competition (Egreat and PCH), hence I did not pursue to post an interest check for a group buy.  Personally however, being an owner of PCH for almost 6 months and having thoroughly gauge the features and functions, I can say that the higher price of the TViX M-6500A is well justified.
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2008 at 12:33 PM by raptor »

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2008 at 12:24 PM »
Here's the rear view of the TViX M-6500A -

I forgot to mention in my review another cool thing about this device - you only need a power cord to connect it to the AC supply.  There's no bulky AC adapter needed - hate those adaptors from laptops, printers, etc. > magnet for all sorts of dirt
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2008 at 12:25 PM by raptor »

Offline jvm

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2009 at 09:35 PM »
Where is the service center of Dvico here?

The display of my Tvix6500 dimmed.

Offline fredmontano

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2009 at 03:22 PM »
Has any one tried using a modded firmware created by BADEIP for this unit? With that firmware yu can download torrents and other stuff.  ;)

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2009 at 04:02 PM »
Has any one tried using a modded firmware created by BADEIP for this unit? With that firmware yu can download torrents and other stuff.  ;)

sir, please share the link, i'm willing to try it ...TIA  :)

Offline TeddyCuds

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • This is It!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2009 at 04:16 PM »
di ba pwede sa 4100SH tong firmware? :(

Offline fredmontano

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2009 at 08:22 PM »
sir, please share the link, i'm willing to try it ...TIA  :)

Here is the link http://www.binary-art.net/?p=1354

Remember use it at your own risk as I cannot guarantee that it will work 100% on your unit!.

But who cares, you can always perform a safe firmware upgrade as instructed on dvico website to flash it back to original firmware.  :) That's the good thing about TVIX you can always revert back to the original firmware should any bad circumstance happen like brownouts when doing a firmware upgrade. ;)

Offline fredmontano

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2009 at 08:34 PM »
di ba pwede sa 4100SH tong firmware? :(

Might not work as they both differ in the chipset used. The M6500 uses a more advanced Sigma design EMP8634 while the 4100SH uses the older EMP8623.

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2009 at 01:13 PM »
new firmware available for M6500, here's the link - http://dvdnews.free.fr/TViX/M-6500/

CHANGELOG:

Changes from 1.3.95
- Video playback
- Improved AVI and MKV playback
o Improved compatibility
o Now, support MKV chapter.
If a file has chapters, ¡°CHAPTERS¡± OSD will be shown.
Can navigate to specific chapters using the previous, next key and Go-To popup.
o Fixed the bug that system reboot when playing DIVX(extension) files with embedded subtitles.
- Supports change of embedded subtitles in mp4 files.
- Supports moving 15sec back and forth on DVD with the up and down keys just like other files
- Fixed the pitch change when volume is changed with specific files.
- Fixed audio is out through HDMI when DVD is playing even though HDMI audio out is off.

- Audio playback
- Supports 24bit flac files
- Supports M4B files
- Fixed OGG does not sound on HDMI after boot.

- Picture playback
- Now, users can preview thumbnails if the files have a thumbnail in them.
o User can change the view mode just like the icon mode.
o On the thumbnail view mode, users can select files to view using Zoom, 0 and Scroll keys on the Remote controller. The menu will be shown on the bottom of the screen.
- Improved compatibility
- Shows EXIF information correctly.

- General
- Readability of characters has been improved including the subtitles
- Now supports more Wi-Fi modules
o D-link DWA-140(11n) (HW Ver: B1) and D-link DWA-110 (HW Ver: A1) are supported now.
- Now, FTP and SAMBA server start up option can be set on the setup.
- Now, users can change the FTP password.
- Now, users can set ID and password for the SAMBA access.
- Now, supports NTP server sync. (Settings for the NTP on the DTV tab moved to the network setting tab)
- Known issues for Video related
- Some TP/TS information may not correct.
- When HD Audio pass-through is on, S/PDIF does not output.
- When HD Audio pass-through is off with HD audio stream, the playback is not smooth.
o When DTS audio setting is digital, HDMI audio is ON and HD audio pass-through is set to ON, then audio is not heard on the SPDIF output.
o For the same setting, if HDMI audio is set to OFF, then audio is HEARD on the SPDIF output.
- Some TP/TS files may cause the system rebooting.
- Some WMV may not play correctly.
- The digital output for AAC/WMA is disabled.
- Does not support PCM audio track on MP4 now.
- Some low sampling frequency(below 32KHz) on AVI and MKV may not sound on HDMI.
- For MP3 files with low sampling frequency, the TVIX might crash while playing or trick play like FF or RW.
- M4A files are not supported now and AAC may not played correctly and this will be fixed on the later version.
- Known issues for PVR
- After channel changed, you may not here audio in short time. This is the bug from the chip manufacturer. To solve this, you can press DTV key or Audio key on the remote.

- Known issues for Video related
- Some TP/TS information may not correct.
- When HD Audio pass-through is on, S/PDIF does not output.
- When HD Audio pass-through is off with HD audio stream, the playback is not smooth.
¡Û When DTS audio setting is digital, HDMI audio is ON and HD audio passthrough is set to ON, then audio is not heard on the SPDIF output.
¡Û For the same setting, if HDMI audio is set to OFF, then audio is HEARD on the SPDIF output.
- Some TP/TS files may cause the system rebooting.
- Some WMV may not play correctly.
- The digital output for AAC/WMA is disabled.
- Does not support PCM audio track on MP4 now.
- Some low sampling frequency on AVI and MKV may not sound on HDMI.
- Some MKV with AAC may not sound.

- Known issues for Audio and pictures playing
- For MP3 files with low sampling frequency, the TVIX might crash while playing or trick play like FF or RW.
- M4A files are not supported now and AAC may not played correctly and this will be fixed on the later version.

- Known issues for PVR
- After channel changed, you may not here audio in short time. This is the bug from the chip manufacturer. To solve this, you can press DTV key or Audio key on the remote.

- Known issues for general issues.
- If you play files without refreshing the file list after delete files through FTP or SAMBA server, the system will reboot.

*** If you play files with HD audio tracks like Dolby TrueHD, , Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD MA or LPCM, you better turn on HD Audio pass through on the setup even though you don't have a receiver that supports decoding of these formats. Otherwise, you will hear strange noise with some repetitive popping noise. Currently, we don¡¯t support core decoding, if you don't have a HD audio decoder receiver, you need to select other then these HD audio tracks audio track for now.

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 11:51 AM »
Noticed this can be used as a PVR using the digital tuner.  Can this also record from an analog source using an external tuner?

On a different note, I noticed Villman selling a TViX M-5100SH.

http://www.villman.com/Product-Detail/M-5100SH

Price is at 23k with a 500mb HD.

Looks like the M-7000A.

Could this be the 7000A for a different market?  Or older version ba ito?

http://www.tvix.co.kr/Eng/products/5100sh.aspx

After doing a little more research, older version pala ito ng 7000a.  Villman still has the 4100SH rin... Older version of 6500a at 20k with 400gb HD.  Anyone with the older models?  What are the advantages of the 6500/7000a over their older siblings?
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2009 at 12:12 PM by dips15 »

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #15 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 01:45 PM »
Here's a comparison table between the models:

The main one is HDMI 1.3 vs 1.2 of the older model so that means no HD Audio for the 4100/5100. The 6500a/7000a also has more memory so the GUI is richer.

I have the 4100SH and in terms of playback of HD mkv files I have yet to come across one that gives it serious problem. It's a good player all in all but I'll admit it is pricey compared to the competition.

Offline pekspert

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cell 0916-777-3000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #16 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 03:07 PM »
this is still the top dog of nmt's afaik. They wouldnt budge on their srp's even though there already is competition. I want to get the 6510A but still waiting for the price to drop.
84" 100" 120" 150" Motorized or Manual Projector Screens still available. Just pm.

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 03:24 PM »

The main one is HDMI 1.3 vs 1.2 of the older model so that means no HD Audio for the 4100/5100. The 6500a/7000a also has more memory so the GUI is richer.

I have the 4100SH and in terms of playback of HD mkv files I have yet to come across one that gives it serious problem. It's a good player all in all but I'll admit it is pricey compared to the compe***on.

Yeah I would agree that the main distinction is 1.3 vs. 1.2.  Is there any way around the no HD audio thing?  I'm not very familiar with how these pass through things work but won't it let the audio pass through and let an A/V receiver decode it for HD audio?

The 4100SH isn't priced to badly on TPC if it really more stable than the others.  Comparable with PCH and Egreat.

this is still the top dog of nmt's afaik. They wouldnt budge on their srp's even though there already is compe***on. I want to get the 6510A but still waiting for the price to drop.

Where can you find a 6500a locally?

Offline uvax

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #18 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 04:02 PM »
Yeah I would agree that the main distinction is 1.3 vs. 1.2.  Is there any way around the no HD audio thing?  I'm not very familiar with how these pass through things work but won't it let the audio pass through and let an A/V receiver decode it for HD audio?

It's a hardware limitation so there's no way around it. Anyway, I haven't seen an mkv file yet with HD Audio yet. One more thing you should know - Tvix doesn't have a bittorrent client like the other NMTs.

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 04:38 PM »
It's a hardware limitation so there's no way around it. Anyway, I haven't seen an mkv file yet with HD Audio yet. One more thing you should know - Tvix doesn't have a bittorrent client like the other NMTs.

That should make the decision easier... if the TViX is really more stable/ nicer looking and better remote then maybe at the same price, could be the safer bet.

I don't really intend to use the bittorrent client anyway.  I save everything on my PC hard drive and back up everything on DVDs before erasing them.  Problem I guess is how to fit mkv's on DVDs. 

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 10:10 PM »
you can still have HD audio with the older versions by using the fiber optic or coax cable out connecting to your AV receiver

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jun 04, 2009 at 11:57 PM »
you can still have HD audio with the older versions by using the fiber optic or coax cable out connecting to your AV receiver

Thanks but the ad I found was apparently a bit old.  Decent price for a TViX though.  I'll wait around and hopefully a good buy will come around. 

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #22 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 12:17 AM »
Thanks but the ad I found was apparently a bit old.  Decent price for a TViX though.  I'll wait around and hopefully a good buy will come around. 

ganda brader dips noh! ;D pinag aaralan ko na rin itong TViX ;D
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jun 05, 2009 at 12:33 AM »
ganda brader dips noh! ;D pinag aaralan ko na rin itong TViX ;D

Ganda talaga!!! Aesthetically, at least in the pictures, the TViX is the best.  Would be the best fit (aesthetically) in every HT set-up.  Budget is a different thing.  The 6500A can be bought through ebay at around 18-19k including shipping to the Philippines.  I've done some back reading on other sites, the 4100SH was available at around 7-9k.  (Last stocks na ba yun?)  Again, am not in any rush hopefully a good buy can be found.

Most bang for buck is obviously the m34a at around 8-9k.  A110 and HDX is at the same range of around 13k. 

I thought of building an HTPC.  Pero video card pa lang for that already costs a lot of money.  Might still be cheaper to buy an NMT and other hardware for what I intended the HTPC to do.
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2009 at 12:34 AM by dips15 »

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jun 07, 2009 at 12:21 AM »
I'll be in Singapore next week, returning on June 13 .... i'll check the latest prices and update you guys

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jun 07, 2009 at 12:38 AM »
Apparently, Axis Global has ceased from distributing DViCO TViX products so its pretty difficult to find any TViX products in the local market.  I'm not sure if any other company is bringing in these products. 

Offline toughthrone

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jul 16, 2009 at 10:58 PM »
can you attach an external dvd drive to play dvds from this?

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
DVICO TViX GUI Enhancement
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2010 at 08:57 PM »
TVXIE has been around for quite some time in the open source community ... this is the tool for importing thumbnails and movie info from IMDB and other providers ... DVICO has officially released it on their website, and it's available even for the older TVIX models (e.g. M4100SH).  Following is the new interface using TVXIE -

and here are sample previews when you select a title

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
Re: DVICO TViX M-6500A Comprehensive Review
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2010 at 09:16 PM »
The feature requirement for NMT's have now greatly improved ... previously, people were only asking for NMT's to have DTS Downmix ... now, people are requiring the following features - Bluray Menus (for full BD rips), TrueHD and DTS-HD pass through, Gigabit Ethernet, and others ... luckily my more than year old M6500 can still handle those, and besides DTS-HD and TrueHD it also supports Dolby Digital Plus ...following screenshots are from full BD rips - Sony Bluray Demo and Dolby High Definition Demo ... AVR used is a Denon 1909

Dolby TrueHD

BD Menu Screen

Movie Info

AVR Output

DTS-HD

BD Screen Menu

Movie Info

AVR Output

Dolby Digital Plus

Movie Info

AVR Output

Setup Photos

Offline joey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
one of the seller from us said that the innards of the new 7 series is the same as 6500a. is this true? also when booting up, is that the normal time of booting like 20-30sec?