Author Topic: Polk Audio TSi series - Outstanding Performance, Amazing Value  (Read 71287 times)

Offline metalgodz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • there is a GOD and you're not him...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Polk Audio TSi series - Outstanding Performance, Amazing Value
« Reply #90 on: Mar 15, 2009 at 02:47 PM »
IMO, wire is wire. Kahit pa galing Raon. ;D

+1, can't really spell the difference between generic and branded cables (except for the claims made by the manufacturers... ;D ;D ;D)

Offline asakky

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #91 on: Mar 16, 2009 at 08:21 PM »
IMO, it is comparable to both Infinity and JBL.

The original question (of lakambini) was "to what speaker brand po comparable ang sound ng tsi? wharfedale or b&w?"

I take it that the Polk=Infinity=JBL sound is somewhat different than (and distinguishable from) the Wharfedale sound?

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Mar 16, 2009 at 09:53 PM »
The original question (of lakambini) was "to what speaker brand po comparable ang sound ng tsi? wharfedale or b&w?"

I take it that the Polk=Infinity=JBL sound is somewhat different than (and distinguishable from) the Wharfedale sound?

Wharfedale is a bit laid back. I listened to Wharfedale at Theater Works. After listening to Wharfedale, retreat ako agad sa mga Euro brand speakers.

I have an Infinity setup and was also able to listen to the JBL Studio L Series, I would assume the same for Polk since all these are American speaker manufacturers.

I guess American speakers equals more forward sound while UK/European speakers equals more laid back sound.

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #93 on: Mar 16, 2009 at 10:50 PM »
Wharfedale is a bit laid back. I listened to Wharfedale at Theater Works. After listening to Wharfedale, retreat ako agad sa mga Euro brand speakers.

I have an Infinity setup and was also able to listen to the JBL Studio L Series, I would assume the same for Polk since all these are American speaker manufacturers.

I guess American speakers equals more forward sound while UK/European speakers equals more laid back sound.

i agree with sir blued888

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Mar 16, 2009 at 11:15 PM »

The price of the Polk Audio TSi series is similar to that of Wharfedale. I do not want say anything about the sound of wharfedale (which are very good speakers) but I want you all to read the review of a customer who purchase the entry level Polk Audio TSi 300 floor standing speakers from amazon.com in the States:

These speakers are great with almost any kind of music. Crisp, filled with great dynamics in sound, and potent at any volume level, these speakers are truly amazing for the price. I purchased two of these towers and power them through a Sony 2.0 channel stereo receiver. They stand right in front of me at my computer desk.

Sound is clear through all thresholds. Nice bass, good (though slightly muddled) mids, and very good highs. The speakers carry the music very well from a variety of styles (from rock to pop to classical). They are very good with the lows. Vocals are clear and distinct against the background of instruments.

For the aborning audiophile I highly recommend these speakers. Comparatively they are inexpensive and they reproduce significantly higher grade music and sound than do a standard set of lower level Sonys, such as the SS-B3000 set. Sound, with good cables, is better reproduced, more certain and pronounced, and of far greater quality. The dynamics are unmistakeably cleaner.

If you are on a budget these will cost you less that $500 for a pair and you will get amazingly upgraded sound for the price. You could go with a set of lower level Sonys for less than $150, but I assure you that the clarity and power of the music will be embarrassingly reduced if you go that route with speakers. There are three components to good music: source (computer, CD player, radio, etc...), power (receiver or amp), output (speakers, headphones). All are important, but which one do you think is going to bring the sound into your ears? If you are going to extend your budget for sound upgrade perhaps you should start with the speakers. That's what I did and from where I sit right now (yes, I'm listening to some rock at the moment) I made the correct decision.

Offline asakky

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Mar 17, 2009 at 11:09 AM »

Interesting, now that you mention it, I see that there are quite a number of hits on the web for "Wharfedale laid back". I think I remember seeing the word 'muffled' used also by some. I just wonder whether 'laid back' and 'muffled' are describing the same thing, and whether that is something that has to do with frequency response, or whether that is something more complicated and harder or impossible to quantify than just frequency response.

If there is a geographic or cultural pattern (e.g., US vs. British or European) to laid backness or forwardness, I wonder where Canadian speakers (PSB) would fall on the spectrum. Somewhere in between?

Also, I wonder where Philippine speakers (in the thread entitled "CUSTOM SPEAKERS OF NIRVBKR, SIMPLY THE BEST!!!") -- http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=3694.0 -- would fall.

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #96 on: Mar 18, 2009 at 11:51 AM »
Mga Sir,

IF I buy a TSi speaker will I immediately hear its "sound" or will it also require some break-in period?

Tnx

Offline ment

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Mar 18, 2009 at 12:29 PM »
base sa experience ko .......... it will smoothen out lang after proper break-in (24-30 hours) ....  bass should sound better and fuller and tweets will be smooth and not harsh when properly broken in ... :) overall it should become warmer

as for me .... every morning i still play music at break-in volume ;D ...
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2009 at 12:42 PM by ment »

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Mar 18, 2009 at 07:07 PM »
Mga Sir,

IF I buy a TSi speaker will I immediately hear its "sound" or will it also require some break-in period?

Tnx

it will sound good after an hour or so of playing but it will keep getting better until fully broken in. :)

Offline Sanjay

• DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Mar 28, 2009 at 06:06 PM »
Check out the Polk Audio TSI300; TSI100; CS10 & PSW125 setup at architectural audio in Greenbelt One.

Offline ment

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Mar 30, 2009 at 12:40 AM »
changed my speaker wires to ga#12 ones from ga#16 ......

i bought the gauge 12 wires from my suking car audio shop (the use this for subwoofer connections)

SQ greatly improved! :thumbup: i highly recommend this :)

Offline xdaatom206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Apr 27, 2009 at 02:15 PM »
What is the volume setting if you are "breaking in" your speaker? should it be 9 o clock or 1 o clock newbie here.

I also have a Dared MP-5 and i would like to have a seperate speakers for this baby.
What BS would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Offline ment

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2009 at 12:33 PM »
basta whispering volume lang :) yung tipong bedroom music background lang heheheh

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2009 at 07:42 PM »
What is the volume setting if you are "breaking in" your speaker? should it be 9 o clock or 1 o clock newbie here.

I also have a Dared MP-5 and i would like to have a seperate speakers for this baby.
What BS would you recommend?

Thanks in advance
for more info on speaker breakin:
http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/speaker-break-in-fact-or-fiction
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline ment

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2009 at 11:27 AM »
thanks mark ..... after purchasing CS10 last sunday evening, ngayun naka 3 channel setup nako  polk TSI series speakers :)

layo ng sound quality ..... its like North pole to south pole and back! I want to watch all my DVD collection over again hahaha

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2009 at 12:12 AM »
thanks mark ..... after purchasing CS10 last sunday evening, ngayun naka 3 channel setup nako  polk TSI series speakers :)

layo ng sound quality ..... its like North pole to south pole and back! I want to watch all my DVD collection over again hahaha

you're welcome. 'til the next upgrade. :)

Offline ment

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2009 at 10:31 AM »
^^^^ wah! virtually new palang speakers ko upgrade na naiisip mo? :P

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2009 at 10:58 AM »
^^^^ wah! virtually new palang speakers ko upgrade na naiisip mo? :P

ha ha. you need a new tv and sub diba? he he. :)

Offline Sanjay

• DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2009 at 12:33 PM »
Check out the Polk audio TSi series speakers. The Following models are available:
TSi500 

Your screen will be jealous
The TSi500 is the flagship of the TSi series and will take center stage of your system. With four 6.5" drivers, it has the power handling and performance capability to satisfy the music or home theater aficionado. Use a pair by themselves in a high quality 2 channel system for music. Or pair them up with a CS20 center channel, TSi200's for surrounds and a PSW series subwoofer and you'll have one incredible sounding home theater system!
TSi400

Middle of the Pack
The TSi400 approaches the performance of the TSi500 but improves upon TSi300's. If you don't need the extra bass response or power handling, the TSi400 is the speaker for you. With three 5¼" drivers and 1" silk dome tweeter, the results are higher power handling and extended bass capability over the TSi300. TSi400 is incredible for high impact movies and music.
TSi300

Look mom- no stands!
The TSi300 is the most compact tower speaker in the TSi series. Its affordable price and small footprint means they can be used as the front channels in a home theater system or as the main speakers in a music system without needing to find room on a shelf or buy additional stands. With two 5¼" drivers and a silk dome tweeter, it has the same soul as its taller relatives. For home theater, pair them up with TSi100 surrounds, CS10 center and PSW Series subwoofer and you've got an awesome system.
TSi200

Bookshelf Speaker with the Heart of a Tower
Can't fit the TSi300? The TSi200 is the best performing bookshelf speaker in the TSi series, great for use where high quality audio is needed. The dual 5 ¼ inch midbass produce rich and warm sounding making your music and movies sound their best.
TSi100

It's a Front Speaker, It's a Surround Speaker, It's the TSi100!
The TSi100 is the most compact bookshelf speaker in the TSi series, great for use just about anywhere. Put them on a shelf or on speaker stands. Or hang them on the wall with their integrated wall mount brackets. Music or movies are no sweat for the TSi100. Assign them to surround duty or as the main speakers in your home theater system- they can do it all. Use them on their own, or add a subwoofer to really bring out their performance.
CS20

Big Screens Deserve a Big Center
Let CS20 be the anchor to your multi-channel home theater system and is the perfect match for larger TSi Series speakers. CS20 allows a seamless transition between the fronts of your home theater system, providing a rock solid center image and crystal clear dialog. CS20 too big to put over your TV? No problem, just flip it over and put it underneath- its angled top will point the sound right at you.
CS10

The Most Important Speaker in Surround Sound
The CS10 center, like its larger brother the CS20 sounds just as good but is a little smaller. It still has an angled top allowing you to invert the speaker and place it below your TV- directing sound towards the listening area. CS10 works great with the TSi100, TSi200 and others.

The Polk Audio TSi series is available in both black and cherry.
Polk Audio Speakers are available in the following stores:
- Sights and Sound in Shangrila Mall - 6341789
- Theater Works in Trinoma Mall - 9013975
- Stop Look Listen in Robinson Pioneer - 6873550
- Architectural Audio in Green belt 1- 8116715
- Acoustic Dimension in Rockwell Mall - 7561579
- SGT Home Theater in Salcedo Vill. - 8138443
- Hi Fi Lounge in Festival Mall Alabang - 8428133
- Cebu Circuit in Cebu CIty - 032-231-3598
- Audible Illusion in Timog - 3743620
- AV Shop in Quezon City - 09173273083
- Cardinal Audio in Greenhills - 72111104
-

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2009 at 02:57 PM »
If you're going for TSi200s for front speakers, would you be better of with CS20 than CS10 or would that be too powerful for the 200s?

Offline Sanjay

• DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2009 at 03:12 PM »
If you are using the TSi200, which is just a bookshelf speaker, you will be fine with a CS10.

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2009 at 07:11 PM »
If you are using the TSi200, which is just a bookshelf speaker, you will be fine with a CS10.

Would the answer still be the same with a TSi 300?

Offline ment

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2009 at 08:27 PM »
supposedly, base sa ka chat ko sa polk mismo, for TSI series floorstanders CS20 center speaker dapat. CS10 is secondary if space is an issue.

ako i use CS10 coz base sa dimension, its too big para ipatong ko sa 21" TV  ang CS20 :o .... and the space between my main speaker is just about 4.5 feet apart. ..... so the CS10 will be more than enough to anchor my center sounds....

Pero layo daw ng SQ between CS10 and CS20 .... pinapa demo nga ni AVShop kasi daw when i listen to it i might opt for the bigger one instead ..... so i declined  ;D budgetted!

Offline Sanjay

• DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2009 at 08:51 PM »
Would the answer still be the same with a TSi 300?

For fronts, If your using the TSi100 or TSi200 bookshelf speakers, I would suggest you go for the CS10 center, if you are using the TSi400 or TSi500 floorstanding speaker, then I would suggest the CS20. If your using the TSi300 entry level floorstanding speaker, then you can go for either the CS10 or CS20.

Best thing is to go for an audition. All the shops selling Polk Audio speakers have the CS10 and CS20 in stock.

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2009 at 06:41 PM »
Newbie question.  Just wondering about the TSi 300 and 200.  I notice that both speakers have the same drivers except the the 300 is a floor stander and the 200 is a bookshelf.  Does being a floorstander help the sound quality of the 300 or is the extra price just for the extra timber?

Thanks.  Just wondering if the price difference of the 200 and the 300 would be worth it or if I should just think about the 400 if I want a floorstander.

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2009 at 06:56 PM »
Newbie question.  Just wondering about the TSi 300 and 200.  I notice that both speakers have the same drivers except the the 300 is a floor stander and the 200 is a bookshelf.  Does being a floorstander help the sound quality of the 300 or is the extra price just for the extra timber?

Thanks.  Just wondering if the price difference of the 200 and the 300 would be worth it or if I should just think about the 400 if I want a floorstander.

Best would be, to audition.

Think of the TSi300 as the TSi200 integrated with speaker stands. Minsan kasi yung cost for a good quality speaker stand plus bookshelf, equivalent na rin sa price nung floorstander.

Offline ment

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2009 at 07:15 PM »
there may be tonal difference since the volume of the box is different na ...... despite having the same drivers

the smaller box tends to be more accurate, the bigger tends to have more depth ....... just my thoughts lang :)

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2009 at 08:53 PM »

The tsi300 would give a better bass extension than the tsi200. For the price of the tsi200 plus stands you'd be better off getting the tsi300. :)

Offline Sanjay

• DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2009 at 09:48 PM »
If you add the cost of stands and a TSi200, your better off getting a TSi300. Why don't you audition the TSi200, TSi300 & the TSi400 before you make any decision. I have indicated above  a list of stores that sell Polk Audio speakers, any of those stores will be more then happy to set up an audition for you.

Offline t43m4n

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: May 22, 2009 at 10:12 PM »
how much is the tsi200?