Author Topic: Samsung 40A650 impressions  (Read 14967 times)

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
Samsung 40A650 impressions
« on: Dec 20, 2008 at 05:16 PM »
The 40A650

After weeks of contemplation I finally gave in and purchased the Samsung 40A650 full HD T.V, this was influenced by the very good performance of the cheaper 32A550 and I needed to have a higher end Full Hd panel - that's an LCD, to compliment my Panasonic 42PY800, another very good 1080p performer but on plasma's side.

I won't go through with the specs on paper but rather on how the unit performs in "real life"

Blu-Ray/DVD

Using a Pioneer DV610v we watched the Lord of the Rings "Return of the King" dvd set at 1080p, the cavalry charge towards the end of the movie was presented in a very panoramic manner with no hints of slow-down or pixelation. On blu-ray we tested the Transformers from chapters 18-25, just to check if the extremely fast paced action, which involves high speed chases and rapid mech transformations would slow the unit down. Pleasant surprise! No hitch at all! With everything flowing smoothly despite so many things happening on-screen at the same time. For black levels, we used the very dark Underworld Evolution blu-ray and switched off all the lights to verify just how consistent the backlight and black levels are, it's still not as solid as my Panny 42PY800 with pockets of somewhat grey areas that's supposed to be pitched black, and we still observed a few sections of uneven lighting. Not really a big deal and you can simply over-look this minor set back. Since this is LCD, you don't get any green phosphor lag (those annoying green trails on plasma) in high contrast areas and some may say - That's lcd and you'll get motion blur instead! Based on what we've seen with our test materials above, the A650 does not seem to have that issue.

PS3/Xbox 360

The weakness of the so-called "game mode" feature of Samsung was that it gave you great input response time but at the expense of picture quality (lower models define graphics in a somewhat pale manner). This unit has a very good looking picture with game mode switched on! Colors are vibrant and with jaggy's kept to a bare minimum. The game we used to test this is a 2.5D Japanese game called "Battle Fantasia", the game is known to bring out jaggy edges because it's a mixture of hand drawn sprites over polygons. Normally, the overly sharp picture definition of an LCD will make you want to slip this game back to your CRT monitor. We didn't have that feeling with this unit, as it displayed the game in a crisp and clean way. If this model displays great picture quality on a graphically inferior game, I can't wait to see it play 1080p native games like MGS4^^^

Cable

No cable yet, still need to channel this thing.

Sound

No complains here, I'm not really into the audio stuff.

Initial impressions

May not be the cheapest LCD but based on how it performs so far, it's ONE OF THE BEST LOOKING, BEST PERFORMING FULL HD PANELS OUT THERE! Hopefully, when I do get the time I'll compare this with the Panasonic 42PY800! I'd like to see how Sammy's 1080 24P "Real Movie" or it's Auto motion plus compares to Panny's intelligent frame creation.

I'm still playing with this toy and will try to give more updates...soon

Added info:

Dvd and Blu-ray set to 1080p, game was set to 720p.

Thanks to Vic of Sights and Sounds for another smooth purchase, too bad I was not able to get this during those funky sale dates=(

Anyone care to share their experince with this unit? You may also want to share a few settings as well ;)

Thank you...
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2009 at 02:50 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline mac_mini

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Samsung 40A650 impressions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2008 at 05:45 PM »
congrats on  your new set :)

Offline epic

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2008 at 06:01 PM »
Congrats on your latest tech toy.... care to share how much you got it here or by PM to be discreet... Thanks..

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2008 at 06:17 PM »
congrats on  your new set :)

Thanks!

Congrats on your latest tech toy.... care to share how much you got it here or by PM to be discreet... Thanks..

Ok I'll send the price.

Offline jojitv

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2008 at 07:06 PM »
Thanks!

Ok I'll send the price.

Sir, pa-send narin kung magkano kuha mo at kung saan. ;D Thanks and congrats on your new gear.
SARS!!!

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2008 at 07:07 PM »
Sir, pa-send narin kung magkano kuha mo at kung saan. ;D Thanks and congrats on your new gear.

Sir, sa sights and sounds. Cge pm ko yung price^

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2008 at 07:23 PM »
The 40A650

After weeks of contemplation I finally gave in and purchased the Samsung 40A650 full HD T.V, this was influenced by the very good performance of the cheaper 32A550 and I needed to have a higher end Full Hd panel - that's an LCD, to compliment my Panasonic 42PY800, another very good 1080p performer but on plasma's side.

I won't go through with the specs on paper but rather on how the unit performs in "real life"

Blu-Ray/DVD

Using a Pioneer DV610v we watched the Lord of the Rings "Return of the King" dvd set at 1080p, the cavalry charge towards the end of the movie was presented in a very panoramic manner with no hints of slow-down or pixelation. On blu-ray we tested the Transformers from chapters 18-25, just to check if the extremely fast paced action, which involves high speed chases and rapid mech transformations would slow the unit down. Pleasant surprise! No hitch at all! With everything flowing smoothly despite so many things happening on-screen at the same time. For black levels, we used the very dark Underworld Evolution blu-ray and switched off all the lights to verify just how consistent the backlight and black levels are, it's still not as solid as my Panny 42PY800 with pockets of somewhat grey areas that's supposed to be pitched black, and we still observed a few sections of uneven lighting. Not really a big deal and you can simply over-look this minor set back. Since this is LCD, you don't get any green phosphor lag (those annoying green trails on plasma) in high contrast areas and some may say - That's lcd and you'll get motion blur instead! Based on what we've seen with our test materials above, the A650 does not seem to have that issue.

PS3/Xbox 360

The weakness of the so-called "game mode" feature of Samsung was that it gave you great input response time but at the expense of picture quality (lower models define graphics in a somewhat pale manner). This unit has a very good looking picture with game mode switched on! Colors are vibrant and with jaggy's kept to a bare minimum. The game we used to test this is a 2.5D Japanese game called "Battle Fantasia", the game is known to bring out jaggy edges because it's a mixture of hand drawn sprites over polygons. Normally, the overly sharp picture definition of an LCD will make you want to slip this game back to your CRT monitor. We didn't have that feeling with this unit, as it displayed the game in a crisp and clean way. If this model displays great picture quality on a graphically inferior game, I can't wait to see it play 1080p native games like MGS4^^^

Cable

No cable yet, still need to channel this thing.

Sound

No complains here, I'm not really into the audio stuff.

Initial impressions

May not be the cheapest LCD but based on how it performs so far, it's ONE OF THE BEST LOOKING, BEST PERFORMING FULL HD PANELS OUT THERE! Hopefully, when I do get the time I'll compare this with the Panasonic 42PY800! I'd like to see how Sammy's 1080 24P "Real Movie" or it's Auto motion plus compares to Panny's intelligent frame creation.

I'm still playing with this toy and will try to give more updates...soon

Added info:

Dvd and Blu-ray set to 1080p, game was set to 720p.

Thanks to Vic of Sights and Sounds for another smooth purchase, too bad I was not able to get this during those funky sale dates=(

Anyone care to share their experince with this unit? You may also want to share a few settings as well ;)

Thank you...

Congrats Carlos.  I am sure you will love it.
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline fernando_montalban

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2008 at 08:00 PM »
I also got a 40A650 from SnS.
I'd like to thank Carlo777 for replying to my inquiries...
Looking forward to your settings when you get yours calibrated... hehe... (gamitin ko for baseline settings)

From my PM to Carlo777,
As of now, my settings are based on these sites...

The most helpful one I saw was this... (maganda yung links na included)
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080519191429AAQiyyP

as well as these...
http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/calibration-guide/samsung-ln52a650.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/9602-12576_7-0.html?messageID=2510694

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2008 at 09:52 PM »
Congrats Carlos.  I am sure you will love it.

Thanks Kenny! Your Transformers Blu-Ray test material really shows if a t.v can deliver!

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 01:34 AM »
Thanks Kenny! Your Transformers Blu-Ray test material really shows if a t.v can deliver!

And your recommendation on the Panny PV80 was stellar.   Kids have been spellbound using there PS3.  We have already been through the 150 hour "extensive" break in period.  Just 50 more to go :)
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline jojitv

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 04:23 AM »
Sir, sa sights and sounds. Cge pm ko yung price^

Got it. Thanks for the info sir. I'm still choosing between the A550 and A650. ;)
SARS!!!

Offline lucky023

• Collector
  • The Blu side of the force is calling you..
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 09:02 AM »
i want this lcd really bad.  ::)
Sammy Series 5
Harman Kardon AVR
WDTV HD Player
Sammy BD-P1500

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 12:14 PM »
And your recommendation on the Panny PV80 was stellar.   Kids have been spellbound using there PS3.  We have already been through the 150 hour "extensive" break in period.  Just 50 more to go :)

You're going for the 200 hours mark? Wow, I think 100 hours is good enough.

Got it. Thanks for the info sir. I'm still choosing between the A550 and A650. ;)

Sir, the A550 is also a very good T.V the main difference between the two would be:

-The A650 defines Dynamic mode better (Solves the overly bright issue)
-A650 has 4ms response time vs 5ms for the A550
-The A650 has a slightly better motion flow
-The A550 frame looks better, personally I'm not a big fan of a red T.V (My only complain with the A650)

Oh, I forgot the A650 has a higher contrast ratio (but for me paper specs are not really very important)

IMPRESSION UPDATE:

Tested MGS4, on the A650 and what can I say...PERFECT! The game looks absolutely stunning and moves very well, no stutters, no motion flow issues, no ghosting of any kind!

Tested Resistance "Fall of man" and compared it with my PY800

Panasonic 42PY800 on Standard, Samsung 40A650 on "Game-Mode"

1) On the 1st level of the game (Yes, 1st level pa lang ako, very bad with fps types of games) I did very quick pans, moving swiftly from left to right.

-Both units did not loose any form of detail bec. of motion blur
-When not moving the PY800 has a slightly better picture quality, but the green phosphor lag became evident during the quick pans. (not a big deal for me dahil na sanay na din ako)
-There is no way for me to scientifically measure input lag, but both units seem to be very responsive.

More updates when I have more time^

« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2008 at 12:44 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 03:05 PM »
A very impressive breadth and depth review that makes it a valuable guide to TV buyers. I always learn valuable things from this member's review, not just at first reading, but read it over and over to learn more about the product. Good work, Mr. Carlo777!
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2008 at 04:08 PM by E-reply »

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 05:52 PM »
A very impressive breadth and depth review that makes it a valuable guide to TV buyers. I always learn valuable things from this member's review, not just at first reading, but read it over and over to learn more about the product. Good work, Mr. Carlo777!

I don't feel like a complete newbie now after that statement^

There are still numbers and figures (Tech specs) about a T.V that I'm still trying to learn, but right now - I just trust my eyes!

Offline jojitv

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 06:03 PM »
Thanks sir Carlo777. Your posts are very informative and helpful for those who are on the hunt for new TVs. With your input, along with other members, I'm now leaning towards the A650. ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2008 at 06:05 PM by jojitv »
SARS!!!

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 06:10 PM »
Thanks sir Carlo777. Your posts are very informative and helpful for those who are on the hunt for new TVs. With your input, along with other members, I'm now leaning towards the A650. ;)

Thank you sir!

I get a lot of Pm's about what T.V to buy and I always tell them to consider these rules:

1) Trust your eyes and not the specs
2) Don't outsource your eyes to anybody, bec at days end you'll be the one to watch the T.V, not me nor the seller. (Don't follow the bandwagon)
3) Stick to your budget! I won't pay over 5k in terms of price difference between two models that will only provide an incremental differences in terms of pq!
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2008 at 01:58 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2008 at 11:37 PM »
you did it again buddy .. a very informative review.  :D

btw try playing games more often .. games doesnt end in the 1st chapter you know .. :D :D (ofcourse im kidding ;D )  merry xmas Carlo777
ninjababez online ..

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2008 at 12:30 AM »
you did it again buddy .. a very informative review.  :D

btw try playing games more often .. games doesnt end in the 1st chapter you know .. :D :D (ofcourse im kidding ;D )  merry xmas Carlo777

I'd love to go beyond chapter 1 but games like Resistance or Call of Duty or any FPS makes my head spin...

CERTIFIED SUPER FRUSTRATED FPS GAMER HERE...Merry x-mas to you as well!

Oh and one more thing? Do you play fps games? If you do, what's a good viewing distance for these critters? I get dizzy in like 15 mins, I'm really starting to love the genre, but I can't seem to get rid of the motion sickness :(
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2008 at 12:36 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2008 at 01:07 AM »
I'd love to go beyond chapter 1 but games like Resistance or Call of Duty or any FPS makes my head spin...

CERTIFIED SUPER FRUSTRATED FPS GAMER HERE...Merry x-mas to you as well!

Oh and one more thing? Do you play fps games? If you do, what's a good viewing distance for these critters? I get dizzy in like 15 mins, I'm really starting to love the genre, but I can't seem to get rid of the motion sickness :(
it really depends.  if its fight night party with my buddies, its usually under 5ft.  (sikip ng apartment ;D )
regular gaming though around 6ft. max at 8ft.  :D :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 26, 2008 at 01:35 AM »
it really depends.  if its fight night party with my buddies, its usually under 5ft.  (sikip ng apartment ;D )
regular gaming though around 6ft. max at 8ft.  :D :D

Fight Night I guess is a fighting game so under 5ft is really sweet for that genre, but how about let's say COD or a similar fps game do you go all the way back to 8ft? What kind of games require you to move all the way back to that viewing distance? Your personal experience will really come in handy (seems you're a marathon gamer :))

Thanks a lot for the advise ;)

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2008 at 02:05 AM »
Fight Night I guess is a fighting game so under 5ft is really sweet for that genre, but how about let's say COD or a similar fps game do you go all the way back to 8ft? What kind of games require you to move all the way back to that viewing distance? Your personal experience will really come in handy (seems you're a marathon gamer :))

Thanks a lot for the advise ;)
same goes for fps games bro .. :)
i prefer 5-6 ft since i want a to maximize the size of my tv .. 42" is still small i guess, i mean when you get used to it   :(
ninjababez online ..

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2008 at 10:01 AM »

Sir, the A550 is also a very good T.V the main difference between the two would be:

-The A650 defines Dynamic mode better (Solves the overly bright issue)
-A650 has 4ms response time vs 5ms for the A550
-The A650 has a slightly better motion flow
-The A550 frame looks better, personally I'm not a big fan of a red T.V (My only complain with the A650)

Oh, I forgot the A650 has a higher contrast ratio (but for me paper specs are not really very important)

I compared 40A450, 40A550 & 40A650 sa Abenson Shangri-la...
I found motion in A550 seems not natural... If sound has an echo... this model has one in terms of picture motion (don't know the term for this)
For me A450 is better than 40A550 (although the specs of the latter is outstanding than the former) in terms of picture motion... I can't see the difference in terms of contrast and pixels (HD ready vs. Full HD panel).
I find A650 best among the 3 said models... I can't see the difference of higher pixels of A650 from A450 but I find the contrast of A650 better (based on displaying black pictures/scenes)

happy holidays :)

Offline JollyBMcDonald

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Dec 26, 2008 at 10:11 AM »
Carlo777,

Kindly PM the price of this baby.  I'm also in the hunt for the best LCD my limited budget can buy. 

And thanks for the very informative review.  This is exactly what I'm looking for in a product review... actual impressions rather than being so technical w/c we won't understand anyway.  You narrowed down my shortlist with this review.

I guess i don't have to wish you Merry Christmas as surely yours is really a happy one now that you have your new toy.   ;D

JollyBMcDonald  8)
Triumph is just "umph" added to "try".

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Dec 26, 2008 at 10:13 AM »
More Units Available

40A650 at cash P79990. Add P5K for a HTZ210. Visit or call for more discount.

Sights and Sounds 4th level Shangri-La Plaza. Tel. 634-1789 to 90. Mobile 0917-5413491.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Dec 26, 2008 at 10:34 AM »
Carlo777,

Kindly PM the price of this baby.  I'm also in the hunt for the best LCD my limited budget can buy. 

And thanks for the very informative review.  This is exactly what I'm looking for in a product review... actual impressions rather than being so technical w/c we won't understand anyway.  You narrowed down my shortlist with this review.

I guess i don't have to wish you Merry Christmas as surely yours is really a happy one now that you have your new toy.   ;D

JollyBMcDonald  8)

Thanks! Btw, Vic of sns also known here as e-reply posted the price already. I got it from them^

Offline JollyBMcDonald

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Dec 26, 2008 at 10:56 AM »
Oh thanks... that was quick.  BTW, what's the difference with the LN vs. LA models.  Is your unit the LA-40A6501R or LN?

Thanks again

JollyBMcDonald  8)

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Dec 26, 2008 at 11:02 AM »
Oh thanks... that was quick.  BTW, what's the difference with the LN vs. LA models.  Is your unit the LA-40A6501R or LN?

Thanks again

JollyBMcDonald  8)

LA sir! LN, I think is a designation for the U.S market.
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2008 at 11:03 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline JollyBMcDonald

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Dec 26, 2008 at 11:14 AM »
Ok. Thanks. I guess I have to take a quick trip to SnS one of these days. 

Only problem now is how to convince the wife.  :-[

Happy holidays.

JollyBMcDonald  8)

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Dec 26, 2008 at 11:19 AM »
Ok. Thanks. I guess I have to take a quick trip to SnS one of these days. 

Only problem now is how to convince the wife:-[

Happy holidays.

JollyBMcDonald  8)

That is always very difficult^^^

Anyway, Merry Christmas and Happy Hunting!