Author Topic: "LEACH Amp"1000 watts double barrelled topology for SUBwoofer  (Read 23878 times)

Offline Lilo_improbum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
sa mga DIY'ers  im  askng lng kng may nakagawa na ba nang 1000 watts sub amp?  Using Leach amp Designs ?  ???  Na pwd gamitin pang mobile... Sa mga nakagawa na ... how's the Performance?  Pwd kaya ito e compare sa mga Pricey Branded Amps sa RAon.. thanks!     ;)

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
Re: "LEACH Amp"1000 watts double barrelled topology for SUBwoofer
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2008 at 10:09 AM »
sa mga DIY'ers  im  askng lng kng may nakagawa na ba nang 1000 watts sub amp?  Using Leach amp Designs ?  ???  Na pwd gamitin pang mobile... Sa mga nakagawa na ... how's the Performance?  Pwd kaya ito e compare sa mga Pricey Branded Amps sa RAon.. thanks!     ;)

The last leach power amp i sold was in early 90's and as far as i know it is still in service by some mobile user somewhere in Bacolod/Visayas area.... ;D
I had a setup in my shop around the late 80's and early 90's....My speakers were DIY, with 15inch Westwell woofer, 12inch lo-mid, 8 inch high-mid, and 2 soft dome tweeters in a 4way cross-over system....the passive cross-overs was also DIY.

Those who heard it were fascinated by the sound even if it was an open-air type set-up, not tiring to the ears even on loud volumes.... ;D

That was an original Leach super amp double barreled amp rated at 250watt into 8 ohms, it has 2 channels, the power traffo is an EI with 2inch center leg stacked to 3inches, the core alone is about 11kgs. It had 8 T03 metal type power transistors from ON-Semi(MOtorola) MJ15003/MJ15004. The heatsinks are heavy types with a 4inch fan blowing into it... the rails are +/-85 volts dc. If using MJ21194/MJ21193 you can up the rails to +/- 95 for about over 300 watts....you will need a hevier transformer than what i used.

that amp can be scaled to 1000 watts if that is what you want.....you can bridge it so that it delivers 500 watts into 8 ohms...you can use as many as 32 output trannies from the original 16.... ;D
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline Lilo_improbum

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2008 at 08:34 PM »
Sir Tony ask lng ako, paanu nyu nakuha ang "Leach Amp" ? Pumunta kayu nang Bacolod? Sir, Im From Bacolod too, the City of Smiles.. Di ko mahanap yun sa Bacolod nung nandun ako..Hehee Pwd mu ba ibigay ang address or name para mapuntahan ko sa pag uwi ko by next year.. Im currently working here in Laguna sa Silicon Company... Same din tayu nang Hobby... audio listening or simply sound trip... hehe Help me naman... . Curios lng ako.. .

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2008 at 10:27 AM »
Sir Tony ask lng ako, paanu nyu nakuha ang "Leach Amp" ? Pumunta kayu nang Bacolod? Sir, Im From Bacolod too, the City of Smiles.. Di ko mahanap yun sa Bacolod nung nandun ako..Hehee Pwd mu ba ibigay ang address or name para mapuntahan ko sa pag uwi ko by next year.. Im currently working here in Laguna sa Silicon Company... Same din tayu nang Hobby... audio listening or simply sound trip... hehe Help me naman... . Curios lng ako.. .

no, someone from there bought the amp from me.... ;D i worked for a long time at Advanced Micro Devices Phils....till '88 and before that with other semicon comapnies, that was before i started working overseas in 1994... ;D
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline Lilo_improbum

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2008 at 07:15 PM »
sir tony favor naman   :'( ... if you catch your friend who bring your sweet "LEACH Amp" paki tanung naman kung saan at kng kaninu nya nakuha ang LEAch aMP mu... thanks! Salamat!   :)

Offline Lilo_improbum

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2008 at 07:21 PM »
my diagram ako nang Amp using MJL21194 500 watts nakuha ko sa internet tapus meron din akong nakuhang  isa pa sa internet na Diagram Using ON Semi MJ15004 300 watts... SAM Electronic Projects yun...Kasu?? Di pang sub ang Amp Design.... . .Yung Subwoofer Schematic sa soundwesthost yung Rod Elliots ok din ba??  may nag try na Sir TONY??  thanks!

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2008 at 06:02 AM »
sir tony favor naman   :'( ... if you catch your friend who bring your sweet "LEACH Amp" paki tanung naman kung saan at kng kaninu nya nakuha ang LEAch aMP mu... thanks! Salamat!   :)

ho got the amp from me, i used to sell high power amps, before i went overeas as an OFW.... ;D

you can learn more about Leach amps here: http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/index.html and the super leach amp here: http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/superamp/ .....

Leach is a professor at Georgia Tech. teaching electrical engineering subjects....he designed those amps and is the most non-commercial succesfull diy project anywhere...

some of the commercial amps that adopted his design(topology) are Heatkit and Crest to name a few...

do not be obsessed with power....power in watts does not give the total picture of what an amp can do....

to me capability at 2ohms is better indicator of how srtrong an amp is... ;D

Offline Lilo_improbum

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2009 at 12:52 AM »
happy new year!!!   ;D   :D  Sir, alam ko magaling kayu dtu..hehehe Pwd bang patulong? Sir kelangan ko nang Turns per volt nang na design ko na Traffo... 8 inch ang thickness nang Core 2 inch ang center leg... 220 to 50 0 50.... may nagawa na akong calculations pero nag da doubt ako kng susundin ko..kasi yung nagawa nang frend ko grabi uminit ang EI Core.... Sir Help me naman.. Pwd SANA...   ::)      hehehehehe

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2009 at 08:05 AM »
happy new year!!!   ;D   :D  Sir, alam ko magaling kayu dtu..hehehe Pwd bang patulong? Sir kelangan ko nang Turns per volt nang na design ko na Traffo... 8 inch ang thickness nang Core 2 inch ang center leg... 220 to 50 0 50.... may nagawa na akong calculations pero nag da doubt ako kng susundin ko..kasi yung nagawa nang frend ko grabi uminit ang EI Core.... Sir Help me naman.. Pwd SANA...   ::)      hehehehehe

Wow....that's about more than 26kilos iron and about 4~5kgs magnet wire........you may be better off splitting that traffo to 2 traffos with 4in stack by 2 inch center leg... ::)

Each one of those will be good for about 1.9kVA ...... ;D  more than enough for a 1000watt amp......what are your rail votages?

A 1000watt 8ohm amp will have about +/-140volts dc on each rails......you will need a 230:200 volts center-tapped traffo...with the primary current of ~9amps, you will need a gage14 magnet wire with 200 turns.....you secondary will use gage13 magnet wire with 174 turns, tapped at 87 turns..I am not sure that these wires will fit in the window which is a 1in by 3 inch...you have to figure it out yourself and make adjustments as requried...i came up with these figures while typing but i am certein it will work....

A 1000watt 2ohm amp OTOH can get away with +/-85 volts for which you will need a 230:120 volt taffo...using the same core area, you primary is still #14 with 200 turns, but your secondary will have 104 turns #11 magnet wire tapped at 52 turns....

There is a trick in winding that i use on the secondary, that is biffiliar winding....i have used it on all my SS amp traffo builds...

The biffiliar method uses two wires winding at the same time, so in the 1000w 2ohm traffo case, two of the gage 11 wires are wound at the same time, coil turn counting is then 52 instead of 104....did you follow me?

Disclamer: i start my transformer designs this way, the final numbers may change although very small since you still need to make sure that these copper wires will fit the transformer window, which in this case is 1inch x 3 inches....you also have to consider thickness of your insulating materials, then all things considered, you can decide final wire sizes and number of turns....

mos of my transformer builds do not end up using first calculation data, you have to check and re-check, the final consideration being wether it fits the window or not....

in the end you will be rewarded with a functioning traffo

you may also want to look here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119958&highlight=
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2009 at 11:59 AM by TonyT »

Offline Lilo_improbum

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2009 at 03:42 PM »
Wow! Salamat naman sa pag share nyu nang KNOWLEDGE nyu sir... Sir, tanung ko lng accurate kaya ang voltage reading nun each winding?? gamit ang digital tester? Pwd nyu ba e share yung 4mula paanu nyu na come up yung turns? kasi sa School ang daming calculations to make a good Traffo,tapus matindi uminit.. . Im planning to make the thickness of the core to 6 inch using 2 inch Center Leg..Meron ako nun sa bahay about 16 kilos, planu ko magdagdag another  6 kilos para di kapus yung EI Core... Planu ko secondary voltages wud be 50 0 50..Meron kasi akong di natapus na AMp..  :-\   yun ay Similar sa WestRack design..dun ko nabili sa Bacolod, kit yun..Almost complete, Traffo na lng talaga ang kulang... tapus meron pang Isa akong gagawin traffo sa Amp3 ni sir Pilyo...Which is 45 0 45 ang secondary voltages my plan and to produce 15 or 20 ampere current...nakakahiya na kng kayu pa ang gagawa nang Primary and Secondary Turns.. Kng pwd sana bigay nyu na lng ang RECIPE...hehehe  ;D  Let me do the MAth sir... Pero??? kng talagang gustu nyu kayu na.. WOW!!! bait nyu naman... hehehe   ;D   Salamat Sir sa Time na binuhus nyu sa Curiosity ko.. Thanks sa pag FEED UP my Hungry Curiosity ... hehe

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2009 at 04:49 AM »
Wow! Salamat naman sa pag share nyu nang KNOWLEDGE nyu sir... Sir, tanung ko lng accurate kaya ang voltage reading nun each winding?? gamit ang digital tester? Pwd nyu ba e share yung 4mula paanu nyu na come up yung turns? kasi sa School ang daming calculations to make a good Traffo,tapus matindi uminit.. . Im planning to make the thickness of the core to 6 inch using 2 inch Center Leg..Meron ako nun sa bahay about 16 kilos, planu ko magdagdag another  6 kilos para di kapus yung EI Core... Planu ko secondary voltages wud be 50 0 50..Meron kasi akong di natapus na AMp..  :-\   yun ay Similar sa WestRack design..dun ko nabili sa Bacolod, kit yun..Almost complete, Traffo na lng talaga ang kulang... tapus meron pang Isa akong gagawin traffo sa Amp3 ni sir Pilyo...Which is 45 0 45 ang secondary voltages my plan and to produce 15 or 20 ampere current...nakakahiya na kng kayu pa ang gagawa nang Primary and Secondary Turns.. Kng pwd sana bigay nyu na lng ang RECIPE...hehehe  ;D  Let me do the MAth sir... Pero??? kng talagang gustu nyu kayu na.. WOW!!! bait nyu naman... hehehe   ;D   Salamat Sir sa Time na binuhus nyu sa Curiosity ko.. Thanks sa pag FEED UP my Hungry Curiosity ... hehe

I you want to learn more, you can go to Pete Millete's site and download these books: The Radiotron Designe'rs Handbook3 and 4, i like the Radiotron Designer's handbook 3 more, mas madling basahin....http://www.pmillett.com/tecnical_books_online.htm

if you ask me, you really do not need those heavy cores, even if you use 3.5 inches stack if 2 inch core it is still good for 1.5kVA, but hey do not let me stop you... ;D

there is a nice disscussion thread by pinoys at www.diyaudio.com ....http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1701025#post1701025

some formulas i use: VA= (Ac x 5.56)squared , where A is cross-section of core, i.e. a 2 inch center leg stacked to 6 inches will have core area of 12sq inches, stacking factor of say 90% makes the effective core area at 10.8, so then the power handling of the core is 3.6kVA (kilovolt-amperes)

Number of turns for Primary is 1600/A = 1600/10.8, so we have 148 turns....

these are the easy parts, the fun part i leave up to you, finding out the secondary turns and wire sizes that will fit your available window, which is 1inch by 3....

if you read and understand my previous post, you can do it on your own...good luck... ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2009 at 04:45 AM by TonyT »

Offline Lilo_improbum

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2009 at 07:24 PM »
a milion thanks Sir... hehehe    ;D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 04:29 AM »
a milion thanks Sir... hehehe    ;D

my pleasure.... ;D BTW, are you using new cores? where do you get them and for how much?

let me know if there is something else i can help you with....sending you pm so we can continue thru emails, if you need stuff for  making transformers i have excel spreadsheets that can help you..... ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2009 at 08:15 AM by TonyT »

Offline Lilo_improbum

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2009 at 08:19 PM »
nasa Bacolod yun sir..bago yun nasa karton pa.. magdadag pa nga ako ako nang 6 kilos for sir pilyos amp3... im planning to make your suggestions using 4 inch stack... Using a 2 inch center leg, my primary will be 220 and my secondary will be 42 0 42 volts.. hehe  Sir, pwd mu ba ako igawa nang kung ilang turns sa primary and secondary?? thanks! kulang ang restday ko eh.. hehehe kng pwd lng thanks!   ;D  sir salamat sa lahat nang tulong nyu Technical.... .  :D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 10:10 AM »
nasa Bacolod yun sir..bago yun nasa karton pa.. magdadag pa nga ako ako nang 6 kilos for sir pilyos amp3... im planning to make your suggestions using 4 inch stack... Using a 2 inch center leg, my primary will be 220 and my secondary will be 42 0 42 volts.. hehe  Sir, pwd mu ba ako igawa nang kung ilang turns sa primary and secondary?? thanks! kulang ang restday ko eh.. hehehe kng pwd lng thanks!   ;D  sir salamat sa lahat nang tulong nyu Technical.... .  :D

yes, fire me an email and i will give you design details.... ;D

Offline Lilo_improbum

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2009 at 07:31 PM »
Salamat
 ;D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2009 at 10:22 AM »

Lito, will this be the same as thoe cores sold by DEECO, i purchase about 10kgs during my last rotation for about 90 pesos per kilo, this is the white ones.....parehas ba ng cores mo?

Offline Lilo_improbum

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2009 at 09:24 PM »
Lilo poh... hehe i never see the deeco e core ... pero sa palagay same lng poh ang mga e core.. sa tantya ko sa manila din nang galing ang mga E Core... bout sa designs  po gawan nyu po ako ha.. thanks!  try kong pumunta nang deeco next week sa raon... para ma compare ko naman... hehe    ;D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 04:28 AM »
disclaimer: the following design is how i would wind the traffo from your spec. you can use it at your own risk: ;D

Core material: EI 2 in. x 4 in. stack, core rating = 2500VA
Core weight  : 12 kilograms approx.
Primary Turns: 200
Primary Wire : awg. #14 single formex magnet wire, approx weight, 1.4kilograms
Primary coil : 5 layers at 40 turns per layer
Primary coil build-up : 5 x 1.63 = 8.5mm. (excluding insulating materials)
Primary coils DC. resistance: 0.57ohms or less approx.
Primary coil rating at @ 700cm/ampere = approx. 1100watts
Secondary Turns: 76
Secondary Wire : awg. #11 single formex, approx. weight, 1.1kilograms
Secondary coil : 3 layers at 27 turns per layer
Secondary Coil build-up : 3 x 2.3 = 6.9mm. (excluding insulation materials)
Secondary coil DC resistance = 0.1 ohm or less approx.

Notes:
1. the primary VA rating is way higher than primary coil rating, so that our transformer is expected to run cooler.
2. Interleaving the E and I, 1 to 1 is recommended for manimmum field radiation.
3. Total weight of built-up transformer = 14.5 kilograms approx.
4. Total buil-up of coils(primary and secondary) is about 15 mm. so 10mm is available for insulation and bobbin, perhaps a small voltage coils can be further added (there is room for extra windings) depending on how you wind the transformer.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2009 at 04:31 AM by TonyT »

Offline Lilo_improbum

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 07:29 PM »
Salamat naman... . hehehe ;D

Offline Lilo_improbum

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2009 at 08:51 PM »
sir tony ang ginawa nyu pong calculations para po ba sa 42 0 42   20 ampere traffo na i  rerewind ko???  salamat sir.. .  :)

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2009 at 04:39 AM »
sir tony ang ginawa nyu pong calculations para po ba sa 42 0 42   20 ampere traffo na i  rerewind ko???  salamat sir.. .  :)

yes.........if you have further questions just ask...

Offline Lilo_improbum

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2009 at 10:38 AM »
Sir Curios lang ako since may leach amp kayu.. anu ang gamit nyu na Subwoofer Amp? DIY?? Branded? ???

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 10:24 AM »
Sir Curios lang ako since may leach amp kayu.. anu ang gamit nyu na Subwoofer Amp? DIY?? Branded? ???

hindi ako gumamit ng subwoofer sa Leach amp, DIY na speaker ang gamit ko, 15in westwell woofer, a 12 inch low mid, an 8 inch high mid, soft dome tweeters in a 4-way system and a 6 cu. foot baffles...... ;D that was a long time ago, circa 1994..... ;D

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 10:46 AM »
size na ng ref yan tony...  ;D ;D ;D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 04:08 PM »
size na ng ref yan tony...  ;D ;D ;D

oo nga ano? ;D  ;D i could have made a mistake, i remember the dimesions as 44inH x 23 inW x 17in D, walang ngang 6 cu ft, my bad... ;D.....

my leach amp can drive it with gusto, no sign of fatigue...... ;D

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2009 at 11:00 PM »
oo nga ano? ;D  ;D i could have made a mistake, i remember the dimesions as 44inH x 23 inW x 17in D, walang ngang 6 cu ft, my bad... ;D.....

my leach amp can drive it with gusto, no sign of fatigue...... ;D

still a big one, must have sounded great indeed.  ;)

i had a similar huge speaker system during my high school days that I put together using 15" jbl woofer and an altec lansing horn connected to a coral passive crossover.

up to this day, I still wonder how marvelous it would have been to have heard my leach amp drive those monstrous speakers...  ;D

Offline Lilo_improbum

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jan 17, 2009 at 09:10 AM »
sir good AM! hehe mangungulit naman ako.... yung winding ko sa secondary planu ko ibaba nang 39 0 39... magtatanung uli ako kong ilan yung turns sa secondary for 39 0 39  20 amperes , yung 39 volts kng ilang turns, bago mag center tap..at saka yung total turns of winding sa 39 0 39...Salamat siR..  :D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jan 17, 2009 at 10:14 AM »
sir good AM! hehe mangungulit naman ako.... yung winding ko sa secondary planu ko ibaba nang 39 0 39... magtatanung uli ako kong ilan yung turns sa secondary for 39 0 39  20 amperes , yung 39 volts kng ilang turns, bago mag center tap..at saka yung total turns of winding sa 39 0 39...Salamat siR..  :D

for 39v-0-39v, turns = 76 x (78/84) = 72 turns ang secondary. center tap yung gitna, so 36-tap-36...

Offline Lilo_improbum

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jan 17, 2009 at 03:12 PM »
Salamat po! sir tony Expert talaga kau...tHanks! dI pala kayu nagamit nang sub...malalakas naman kasi ang woofer nyu malaki pa ang box....maY IDEA kau bout passive or active crossover? tHanks!