Author Topic: Marantz Receivers  (Read 270428 times)

Offline edboy7

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • My name is Juan Antonio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Re: Marantz Receivers
« Reply #780 on: May 04, 2005 at 06:31 PM »
Pre, Im using 2ohms speakers w/ my Marantz SR4400.  One year old na at so far wala namang problema.  Usually ang volume ko ay nasa 20.

really?....im now saving mollah for diamonds 9.6(6ohms) for my sr4300  would i hav any heating probs? ::)

Offline JT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #781 on: May 04, 2005 at 06:34 PM »
really?....im now saving mollah for diamonds 9.6(6ohms) for my sr4300  would i hav any heating probs? ::)

Marantz should be able to handle 6ohms easily kasi kasama talaga sa specs nya yun.  Nag experimento lang ako to use it with 2ohms (kasi gusto gusto ko itong aego speakers).  Buti na lang eh walang naging problema.

Offline Lawin

• Collector
  • Trust in the Lord . . .
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #782 on: May 16, 2005 at 10:59 AM »
Guys,

Any feedback on the performance of SR4400 paired with MS Premiere (satellite speakers & sub combination) currently on promo with abenson for P32,900.00? My usage will be for a 7' x 15' A/V Room and usage will be 70% HT and 30% Music.

Appreciate comment & feedback with regards to said package. TIA.

regards...

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #783 on: May 16, 2005 at 11:09 AM »
Guys,
Any feedback on the performance of SR4400 paired with MS Premiere (satellite speakers & sub combination).

Perfect pair if you prefer more on music.

Offline shotgun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Noob
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #784 on: May 17, 2005 at 12:09 AM »
Hi Lawin,

Could you expound a bit more on the comment? Is the SR4400 + MS Premier poor/average/good when it comes to movies? Sorry, just curious. Just came back from 5th ave and Listening in Style. I'm choosing between the Marantz + MS combo or a Yamaha 450 + NS-P436 since they're both in my price range.

Thanks!
+63917-8261578

Offline Lawin

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #785 on: May 18, 2005 at 09:40 AM »
Hi Shotgun!

I have already auditioned the Marantz SR4400 & MS Speakers and its fine with me ALTHOUGH I'm more inclined with the Yamaha RXV650+WHarfdale Speakers (but I have budget constraints), I have not audition yet the RXV450+Yamaha Speaker package (Satellite +sub)+dvd player which is tempting at less than 30k (cash price nga lang). How is it compared woth the marantz package?

cheers...

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #786 on: May 18, 2005 at 09:51 AM »
Hi Shotgun!

I have already auditioned the Marantz SR4400 & MS Speakers and its fine with me ALTHOUGH I'm more inclined with the Yamaha RXV650+WHarfdale Speakers (but I have budget constraints), I have not audition yet the RXV450+Yamaha Speaker package (Satellite +sub)+dvd player which is tempting at less than 30k (cash price nga lang). How is it compared woth the marantz package?

cheers...

in any system, speakers are always the weakest link. so try to get the best you can afford. i suggest getting the rx-v650 plus a pair full range speakers first. complete the setup as budget permits.

but if you're ok w/ sub/sats, get the mordaunts.

Offline shotgun

• Collector
  • Noob
  • Liked:
« Reply #787 on: May 18, 2005 at 09:58 AM »
Hi Lawin,

I auditioned the Yamaha 440 and 450 with 2 sets of satellites. I can't remember the model but the satellites included with the sub 30K setup was a bit harsh to say the least. The second satellite set (P436/6.1) which comes at a 4.5K premium sounded much warmer, but still not as good as the MS Premier/Marantz combo IMHO. However I was more keen on auditioning the audio instead of HT. For HT purposes, the Yamahas sounded good.
+63917-8261578

Offline shotgun

• Collector
  • Noob
  • Liked:
« Reply #788 on: May 18, 2005 at 10:05 AM »
in any system, speakers are always the weakest link. so try to get the best you can afford. i suggest getting the rx-v650 plus a pair full range speakers first. complete the setup as budget permits.

but if you're ok w/ sub/sats, get the mordaunts.

That's pretty funny. I was talking to an audiophile friend of mine last night and he said the same thing. So, it's better to go about it slowly... if I do so, it widends my options... but increases my headaches with more options!  :o
+63917-8261578

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #789 on: May 23, 2005 at 05:47 PM »
Does the new (xx05) receivers of Marantz has a built-in room eq? O0

Offline Lawin

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #790 on: May 24, 2005 at 12:16 PM »
Hi Guys!

Any feedback on Sr4500 and Gale 30XX combination? How is it in  Music and HT? TIA...

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #791 on: May 24, 2005 at 12:23 PM »
Hi Guys!

Any feedback on Sr4500 and Gale 30XX combination? How is it in  Music and HT? TIA...

i would consider the mordaunts instead of the gales. anyway, 5th ave carries all three, audition and pick what's best for you.

Offline itgbkj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Home Theater and Photography tandem
  • Liked:
« Reply #792 on: May 24, 2005 at 01:03 PM »
Gales are cheaper than Mordaunts?  Are they?  anyway, just to share, I almost did get the Marantz - but I settled with Yamaha.  :)

Good luck to your new toys!

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #793 on: May 24, 2005 at 01:13 PM »
Gales are cheaper than Mordaunts?  Are they?  anyway, just to share, I almost did get the Marantz - but I settled with Yamaha.  :)

Good luck to your new toys!

yup, gales are cheaper.

Offline Lawin

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #794 on: May 24, 2005 at 01:57 PM »
Gales are cheaper than Mordaunts?  Are they?  anyway, just to share, I almost did get the Marantz - but I settled with Yamaha. 

I'm also considering Yamaha RXV450/RXV650 as oppose to the Marantz SR4400/SR4500... any particular reason why you got the Yamaha instead of the Marantz?

Due to budget constraints, I'm also considering pairing the Yamaha or Marantz with DTX speakers. Appreciate any feedback, experience with said combinations.

Offline itgbkj

• Collector
  • Home Theater and Photography tandem
  • Liked:
« Reply #795 on: May 24, 2005 at 03:31 PM »
I'm also considering Yamaha RXV450/RXV650 as oppose to the Marantz SR4400/SR4500... any particular reason why you got the Yamaha instead of the Marantz?
Due to budget constraints, I'm also considering pairing the Yamaha or Marantz with DTX speakers. Appreciate any feedback, experience with said combinations.

Hi Lawin, why Yamaha?  I've read the reviews lately and it seems that Yamaha is gaining ground and recognition in the HT receivers stuff.  I still am not convinced with their speakers tho.  The selling point of Yamaha for me was when the seller said that Yamaha has been recognized worldwide on their receivers - check-out best receivers in the audiophile websites.  So, it must be good.  After which, I think Marantz has limited resources in our country - e.g. repairs and support.  I am not so sure about this.

As for Dai-ichi's DTX, I am and was an owner of DTX Center Speaker (want to sell it, you see).  Sad to say, I am not really satisfied with its performance.  If you can stretch your budget just a bit, go for Wharfes - or Gales - good buy yun.
But then, if resources only permits the DTX... I've read the reviews in the Dai-ichi speakers... ok naman daw.

If I may add info - try not to settle with un-branded DVD players.  You'll benefit In the long-run the more expensive players.

Offline deo

• DVD Guru
  • 'Evening...commissioner :D
  • Liked:
« Reply #796 on: May 25, 2005 at 01:59 PM »
Can a marantz SR4500 drive a B&W 602 S3?

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #797 on: May 25, 2005 at 02:01 PM »
Can a marantz SR4500 drive a B&W 602 S3?

oo naman :)

Offline deo

• DVD Guru
  • 'Evening...commissioner :D
  • Liked:
« Reply #798 on: May 25, 2005 at 02:13 PM »
oo naman :)

binebentahan kasi ako ng tropa ko eh...i was just wondering, karamihan kasi ng combination na nakikita ko is hk-b&w and denon-b&w. Thanks for ur feedback.

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #799 on: Jun 03, 2005 at 03:16 PM »
OT:
the sr4500 can be had for 17k in 5th ave. since you've visited 5th in sm north, you may want to listen to some mordaunts. though more expensive, they are better built to say the least, and sounded better for me.

you also might want to drop by digital dreams (katapat lang). they sell the HK avr130 for 17+k. not much bells and whistles, but quite powerful and is also warm.

the diamonds are a bit laid back. "dull" would be too harsh a term to describe them. i once owned the 9.1's and for me, sounded really good.

if you can, try building your system little by little so you'll have no regrets in the end.

hope to hear more from you, sir. happy hunting.

LOL! i'm at a loss for words so pardon from the wharf owners here. yeah, the 5th ave. sales guy did advise me to get the sr4500. we just talked on the phone so have no time to ask some more questions. what are the improvements on the 4500 as compared to the 4400? i've d/l the 4500 manual but so far not so lucky with the 4400.

seems there is a preponderance of votes for the marantz/ms premiere combo here. i think i will consider that also. just that when i was looking at the MS it looked so HTIB to me.... while the gale seems to be a "proper" speaker system. any more comments?

anyway, will look at the H/K AVR, too. hmmm..... and i thought my head will stop spinning already after i sort of settled with the marantz/gale combo.  :-[  ;D
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #800 on: Jun 03, 2005 at 03:23 PM »
seems there is a preponderance of votes for the marantz/ms premiere combo here. i think i will consider that also. just that when i was looking at the MS it looked so HTIB to me.... while the gale seems to be a "proper" speaker system. any more comments?

you're probably referring to this.

i was referring to this :)

anyway, will look at the H/K AVR, too. hmmm..... and i thought my head will stop spinning already after i sort of settled with the marantz/gale combo.  :-[  ;D

;D welcome to the club ;D

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #801 on: Jun 03, 2005 at 04:55 PM »
you're probably referring to this.

i was referring to this :)

;D welcome to the club ;D

hi bumblebee.... we meet again.  ;)

yes, i was referring to the first pic coz someone mentioned that it was being offered with the marantz in SM appliance  center for P32,900. i do remember seeing that package in sm so i assumed it was the one being talked about here.

OT ulit: wow, lupet ng 2nd setup. do you happen to have a price for that system? seems that teac copied their side-firing woofer design from mordaunt.

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #802 on: Jun 03, 2005 at 09:13 PM »
OT...

those are the new avant floorstanders w/ the 905 center. i don't how much they are except for the ms909 sub w/c is 26k (shown) and the ms914 (not shown, 2-way w/ 6.5" woofer) w/c retails for 16750. the ms906 (smaller floorstander in the pic) costs more than the ms914.

Offline mYKi

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #803 on: Jun 04, 2005 at 07:41 PM »
I passed by at 5th Avenue in Shangri-La and I was surprised that they already have the SR7500 (for P44,900) and the flagship SR-8500 (for P81,600). They said they already had it for a month.

These receivers as well as the SR-4500 and SR-5500 have been well-reviewed according to some forums.

I also saw that they already have Marantz DVD players as well like the DV-6500 (for P31,000) which is a well-reviewed SACD and DVD-Audio player as well.

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #804 on: Jun 05, 2005 at 02:17 AM »
finally.....  ;D after some long and lonely nights surfing these forums and reading every review of items in my shortlist, i have bought me a brand spanking new gold-plated (or at least gold-fascia'd  ;D) marantz sr4500. being that the H/K and the marantz are touted for their musicality.... looks  8) winning it for the marantz this time is all i can say of my choice.

i had narrowed down my choices on that avr together with the yamaha rxv450 and the H/K avr130. they are about separated by a not so considerable spread of 2T pesosesoses. i had the chance to audition the H/K and from my non-audiophile grade ears i can just discern some difference from the yamahas of old (haven''t really tried the 450 yet). maybe it's the not so loud volume when i auditioned it, not affording the avr to flex its muscles. but i can't really bring them to neighbor-annoyance level too in our area as we have plenty of next-door neighbors.

anyway the yammies are about at the bottom of my shortlist due to my 60%-40% in favor of musical requirements. it may be used 70%-30% HT but i still gave greater emphasis on musicality. to be fair, most reviews of the 450 gave it kudos for the improvement in the musical department. so maybe it all boiled down to personal preference.

Offline Maestro

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #805 on: Jun 06, 2005 at 06:58 PM »
congratulations sir! ... hope you enjoy your new toy!
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2005 at 06:59 PM by Maestro »

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #806 on: Jun 07, 2005 at 01:19 AM »
congratulations sir! ... hope you enjoy your new toy!

thanks, maestro. i surely would like to.... just that it hasn't been delivered as yet.  :D i'm just excited to try out every concert dvd's of my brother and from some friends as well.

i just wish i had a room as nice as where we auditioned them friom.  :(

Offline Vhongbiker

• DVD Addict
  • musika atbp.
  • Liked:
« Reply #807 on: Jun 07, 2005 at 05:47 AM »
i just wish i had a room as nice as where we auditioned them friom.  :(

magkakaroon ka rin nyan bro, HINAY HINAY LANG..... hehehe.....
btw. congrats sa bago mong laruan ;)
Pray not for a lighter burden,
but for a stronger back....

Offline garee

• DVD Addict
  • "your look, sounds familiar"
  • Liked:
« Reply #808 on: Jun 07, 2005 at 09:49 AM »
congratz potpot_888 on your new toy.
what speakers are you pairing it with?
and how much is the sr4500?

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #809 on: Jun 07, 2005 at 11:46 AM »
congratz potpot_888 on your new toy.
what speakers are you pairing it with?
and how much is the sr4500?

thanks, vhong and garee. the 4500 came in at a reduced price of ~P16,625 but they say they will be jacking up the price probably by next month. if the price increases with the amount they quoted me with.... i will be one happy camper for getting this avr early.

i'm pairing the 4500 with a set of gale speakers. i think this will be just perfect for my rather small receiving area. besides, the neigbors will love me to death if i even turn up the knob past 9o'clock.  :D  i have a larger bedroom but the acoustics is really atrocious as compared to the sala. 

as i've said, i will be even happier if it can approximate the spread that it displayed at the showroom though. the spread of the sound that this combo puts out is really impressive. it will be delivered hopefully today but setup will have to wait for the weekend. crossing my fingers....