Author Topic: A few Panasonic Plasma Questions  (Read 15954 times)

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
A few Panasonic Plasma Questions
« on: Jan 27, 2009 at 12:11 AM »
Just ringing up a few questions regarding the Panny Plasma

1) I heard that the picture quality of plasma's improve over time, is this true or another myth?

2) Is it safe to use Dynamic mode after the 100 hours break in? (I noticed some games really look great on my PY800 when set to "Dynamic" mode)

Thank you very much.

Offline mac_mini

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A few Panasonic Plasma Questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2009 at 09:13 AM »

1) I heard that the picture quality of plasma's improve over time, is this true or another myth?

Myth siguro yan :)

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2009 at 09:43 AM »

too early to tell, but for me its a myth  :)
2) Is it safe to use Dynamic mode after the 100 hours break in? (I noticed some games really look great on my PY800 when set to "Dynamic" mode)
yes its pretty safe, btw i use ECO (nakasanayan na), but during fight night round 3 gaming i set it on DYNAMIC, di pwedeng hindi ..  :D :D ...
Thank you very much.
ninjababez online ..

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2009 at 09:56 PM »

in other forums, various panasonic plasma users in say that their units improve over time especially after 1000 hours.
its not certified true, but atleast, such testimonies are "music to the ears and warmth to the hearts" of other users especially to new plasma users like me :)

i also read that any setting is safe even during the first 100 hours (even for those users breaking-in their units, lalo na sa anti break-in crusaders :)) IMO, wala naman mawawala to break-in for 100 hours (thats why i watch movies at settings i want, except that it should be stretched to full screen, stay away fr static image and tally my viewing hours until reach the 100-hour level). gusto ko kasi ma enjoy na agad unit ko while breaking-in in this way :).

are you done breaking your unit in? in your experience, may issue parin ba ng IR if watching movies with black bars on top and below the plasma screen?

Offline gisan925

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2009 at 10:22 PM »
how do you guys keep track of the break-in time? tnx!
Onkyo875 PV80 MA RS6  BD55 Pio610 RA03 Azur 640C Yaqin MC10T

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2009 at 07:40 AM »
for me 24hours on white wash will do ..  ;)
ninjababez online ..

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2009 at 11:56 AM »

for me, I just list down the accumulated hours of watched movies in full (stretched) screen at preferred settings 

Offline jinx999

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2009 at 04:17 PM »
I'm just curious if people get bothered by the reflection you see on your plasma screens.  I don't have this issue because i'm using an LCD but a lot of people seem to think that Plasma is better.  I've also seen Samsung series 8 LCD to have a hint of gloss in their screen.  It does bother me to see myself while watching.

Offline gisan925

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2009 at 10:01 PM »
for me 24hours on white wash will do ..  ;)

How do you do the whitewash method?-tnx

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2009 at 11:14 PM »
Sir,

Yung no.1 myth siguro - otherwise mas mahal 2nd hand unit sa brand new  ;D ... pero sana totoo  ;D ;D ;D

Regarding no.2, there should be no issue on Dynamic Mode after the break-in period ... just a matter of preference on viewing ... preset modes are well within the standards of the equipment manufacturer
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 07:55 AM »
How do you do the whitewash method?-tnx
set the screen brightness and contrast on full 100%
then run a full white bright background via display properties of your computer.
me, i used dpt, via htpc  :D
lg plasma tv has this white wash option via menu.
ninjababez online ..

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 08:53 AM »
I'm just curious if people get bothered by the reflection you see on your plasma screens. 

Yes kung di pa ako naliligo.   :)  Just have to sit farther or control the ambient room illumination if it bothers you too much. 

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 11:39 AM »
I'm just curious if people get bothered by the reflection you see on your plasma screens.  I don't have this issue because i'm using an LCD but a lot of people seem to think that Plasma is better.  I've also seen Samsung series 8 LCD to have a hint of gloss in their screen.  It does bother me to see myself while watching.

Yes, it would bother me if I were to see reflections on my screen.  But ambient light in my viewing room is controlled.

It's a trade-off between picture quality and reflections.  Choose a non-reflective screen and glare will not be an issue, but picture quality will be worse.  Choose a reflective screen and picture quality will be better, but glare will be a problem. 

Choose a reflective screen and control your ambient light, and you get the best of both worlds --- better picture quality without glare issues.

...  a lot of people seem to think that Plasma is better. 

Actually, there are more people who think LCD is better.  And worldwide sales figures will show that the overwhelming majority of users prefer LCD over plasma.

Forum posts will show a preference for plasma, but forum members are not representative of the average TV buyer, because forum members are the enthusiasts who comprise a small minority of users.   

« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2009 at 11:51 AM by barrister »

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 02:34 PM »
I'm just curious if people get bothered by the reflection you see on your plasma screens.

This is the same thing that I was very keen on observing when initially shopping for a flat panel because of probably reading too much expert and user reviews .... but come to think of it, we've been using crt monitors for all the years that the LCD and plasma technology did not become mainstream, and we are not complaining of its reflective screen ... if there's a lot of reflection when watching crt, you usually just turn off the lights or close the curtains - same thing with plasma - no issue for me  :)
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2009 at 03:18 PM »
Me too. My room is not completely dark and I was worried regarding all the discussion about reflections. I got a plasma anyway and if it turned out to be really bad I was prepared to black out part of the window. It turns out it wasn't any worse than the CRT I'd been using for several years. I can live with it for the most part. If not, I just wait for it to get late in the afternoon or evening before I start watching movies. It's only really apparent with dark movies.

I have a plasma question though. Has anyone noticed those diagonal criss-cross patterns on the screen? Parang steelwire fence yung pattern. It's barely visible and only when it's off or the image is really dark--and even then only if you're really looking. Or is that just me? I have a pv8.
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2009 at 03:27 PM by sardaukar »

Offline samlowry

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2009 at 02:26 AM »
don't notice any fence pattern.  My only gripe is the pinkish hue on gray and white flat images/fields but otherwise it's awesome.

Panasonic 58pz800u and BD55
Onkyo 876
Ps3/Xbox360
Dynaudio 6.1

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2009 at 01:38 AM »
Guys for cable, where is your P-NR set? Off, weak, mid or strong?

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2009 at 02:16 AM »
i dont really use the noise reduction feature.  it doesnt feel like a tv if turned on.  but thats just me :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2009 at 02:28 AM »
i dont really use the noise reduction feature.  it doesnt feel like a tv if turned on.  but thats just me :)

Oh ok, this is just for cable, it's set on "weak" by default and I keep it there.

Thanks^

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 11:33 PM »
I have one question.  When will we get these 46 inch 1080P Pannys here in the Phillies at those prices.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=pe_19010_11238090_pe_i1/?docId=1000336001
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 01:23 AM »
I have one question.  When will we get these 46 inch 1080P Pannys here in the Phillies at those prices.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=pe_19010_11238090_pe_i1/?docId=1000336001

Looks cool Kenny!

Anyway, how's your unit?

Back to topic:

I heard these panels operate best using the models "native" resolution so I stick to 720p for the PV8/80 and 1080p for the PY800, does that mean I'm not giving my lower end plasma's justice for not moving them up to 1080p?
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2009 at 01:36 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 01:30 AM »
Looks cool Kenny!

Anyway, how's your unit?

Hi Carlo......Had it calibrated and am loving it.  am very happy with my choice of plasma the PV80.

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 01:32 AM »
Hi Carlo......Had it calibrated and am loving it.  am very happy with my choice of plasma the PV80.

Cool, never had mine calibrated^^^ Could you share your settings via pm? Thanks!

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 01:45 AM »
in other forums, various panasonic plasma users in say that their units improve over time especially after 1000 hours.
its not certified true, but atleast, such testimonies are "music to the ears and warmth to the hearts" of other users especially to new plasma users like me :)

i also read that any setting is safe even during the first 100 hours (even for those users breaking-in their units, lalo na sa anti break-in crusaders :)) IMO, wala naman mawawala to break-in for 100 hours (thats why i watch movies at settings i want, except that it should be stretched to full screen, stay away fr static image and tally my viewing hours until reach the 100-hour level). gusto ko kasi ma enjoy na agad unit ko while breaking-in in this way :).

are you done breaking your unit in? in your experience, may issue parin ba ng IR if watching movies with black bars on top and below the plasma screen?

Meron pa din sir, after watching a movie I go to a blank input screen and I could see a very feint image of the bars. However, na pansin ko na after the "break-in" mas mabilis mawala yung I.R. Sa PY800 naman kahit hindi pa tapos yung 'break-in" mabilis talaga mawala yung I.R=)

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 01:59 AM »
Cool, never had mine calibrated^^^ Could you share your settings via pm? Thanks!

will do tomorrow
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline bmsantillan

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 12:09 PM »
pa share din ng settings pls via PM  :) TIA!

Offline gisan925

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 02:24 PM »

bro, pa pm settings. thanks-gi ;)

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 11:22 PM »
Meron pa din sir, after watching a movie I go to a blank input screen and I could see a very feint image of the bars. However, na pansin ko na after the "break-in" mas mabilis mawala yung I.R. Sa PY800 naman kahit hindi pa tapos yung 'break-in" mabilis talaga mawala yung I.R=)

thanks bro

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Feb 04, 2009 at 12:04 AM »

update: 
was able to ask my neighbor to "loan" me his skycable connection for a week. (for trial purposes with a little payment)  ::)
some channels have bad receptions (channels that i dont think ill be watching):P
but most were 40% better than my previous destiny cable connection.  yes 40% :D :D
downside, i had to use the P-NR options on discovery and others.  which made my catv viewing experience way better :D :D
not the way i wanted it to be but compared to my previous connection, i cant complain!  ;D ;D
ninjababez online ..

Offline bongcastaneda

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 05:31 AM »
Plasma when first introduced was actually a big hit BUT when the image burn in issues became widely known people avoided them .
However new Plasma TVS have emerged with anti burn in image technology and have greatly reduced the burned in image problem to practically zero.
Still most people think that plasmas wont last as long as LCDs and up to now avoid them since they didnt know of the new plasmas with anti imageburn in tech. (kulang sa commercials)
Its also a fact that up to know many sales people are still not informed and will discourage people from buying plasma further discouraging
worlwide adoption of plasma over lcd.
nakatatak na sa isip ng tao kasi.
It will take time to reverse their thinking.
But honestly i see a lot of people converge around plasma tvs and they come back to compare the image with LCD tvs.
Nadidiscourage sila ng sales people ng LCD when they ask about plasma.
Pero siempre impressed sila sa plasma kaysa sa LCD maski ba sony bravia lcds cant compare sa HD plasma.