Author Topic: Gold Lion KT88 impressions?  (Read 1357 times)

Offline muypogi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Gold Lion KT88 impressions?
« on: Mar 26, 2009 at 05:41 PM »
Thinking of getting this tube. Any impressions? Anybody used it here on their amps?

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
Re: Gold Lion KT88 impressions?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2009 at 09:23 PM »
I asked someone here or at WS the same question before, in his SE amp, among the new production tubes, this was his top pick  followed by JJ KT88 and Tungsol  6550.  He also mentioned that the Tungsol produced the most amount of bass.

Thinking of getting this tube. Any impressions? Anybody used it here on their amps?

Offline romymartinez

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 04:01 PM »
1. On a DIY triode-strapped PP amp which can take KT88, 6550, EL34 and KT77 tubes. Compared to JJ KT77 the Gold Lion KT88 is understandibly more powerfu, fuller and more dynamic. For female vocales the JJ KT77 seems as nice. Speaker used was a vintage 8" single-driver (fullrange) Jensen Model 1 sealed bookshelf with around 93 db sensitivity).

2. On a DIY SE amp which can take KT88, 6550, EL34 and KT77 tubes. I was able to listen to Gold Lion KT88, Siemens EL34, JJ KT77, GE 6550 and new production Tungsol 6550. They have different characteristics. The Siemens are untouchable in female vocals and light accoustic jazz. It could have been my perfect tube if only its bass is punchier. Again the KT88 is very powerfull, dynamic and not bad with vocals. It is to me the best overall. The KT77 is not too shabby all-rounder either, though leaner than the Gold Lion KT88. The GE 6550's bass performance is untouchable, very brusko, best for heavy rock. The new production Tungsol 6550 is quite similar to the GE 6550. If I'm too lazy to tube roll (change tubes depending on musid and mood) the Gold Lion KT88s are spending longest time on-board! BTW, speaker used are 6.5" Fostex fullrange driver in a 'Half Chang' BVR (big-vented reflex) enclosures with about 94db sensitivity

Note: When I tried both tube amps with much less sensitive two-way bookshelfs, the results were not as impressive. The bass were not as tight and the presentation was not as dynamic. I guess speaker synergy plays big time.

romymartinez

Offline muypogi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2009 at 06:58 PM »
Thanks! 

Offline Tube Pro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • It occupied 1,500 square feet and weighed 40 tons:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2009 at 10:20 PM »

Based on my research on the KT88's available (NOS) as I am to build a 60-watt amp using KT88, I've found out that,
the SED is the most durable with the best build.
The Genelex Gold Lion, then the EH and then the Sovtek are next.
The JJ/Tesla is a better sounding tube but with slightly less durability.
The Chinese KT88 is the least durable and poorest sounding but cheapest.
I've also posted this to your thread at WS.  ;)
Hope it helps...  :D

Good Luck~~
UNIVAC: a device, which contained 20,000 vacuum tubes!