Author Topic: Atheism/Agnosticism in the Philippines  (Read 79599 times)

Offline Panmunjom

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Atheism/Agnosticism in the Philippines
« Reply #1080 on: Sep 09, 2011 at 03:05 PM »

Just saw this thread. Nice read.

I believe in God.  I hope I will not be asked to justify my belief.

I also believe that you need not believe in God for you to be saved. We are only humans, I know that God will not judge us merely on our beliefs, but on how we conducted ourselves on the basis thereof.

I respect those who say that they are atheist or agnostics. I have met several already. Some are even my friends. I'd like to think that salvation is also for them.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
« Reply #1081 on: Feb 05, 2012 at 10:33 PM »
Hey, did anyone watch Filipino atheist Red Thani's interview with Boy Abunda? It's about freakin' time secularists get more face time in the mainstream Filipino media.

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #1082 on: Feb 25, 2012 at 10:37 PM »
ninjababez online ..

Offline RU9

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • “While we have time, let us do good”
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4

Offline darth mond

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #1084 on: May 29, 2013 at 10:13 PM »
Been seeing a lot of posts in FB about the Pope's views and tolerance on atheism.  Seeing that I agree on some points raised on an article, I reposted one. True enough, a former classmate started posting on my wall about atheists being redeemed but salvation is not for them. So much for tolerance on other people's belief. Buti pa si Pope.

Offline the_w0rks

• Trade Count: (+146)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I love the smell of pizza all day,everyday
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #1085 on: Jun 06, 2013 at 01:21 PM »
Is this the right section to wonder about why we exist and whether there's an afterlife? haha

each time a girl asks me about my belief in the after life, I go all scientific on the girl.

I was raised by my VERY religious lola to go to church every sunday. She never failed to pick me up and bring me and my siblings to church on sundays. At such an early age,however, I already thought that all this religion thing was bogus.

I guess for me, to see is really to believe.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1087 on: Dec 13, 2013 at 02:40 PM »
Bogus or not, it is in our genes. Literally. Scientists have identified a gene present in all living men that predispose them to believe in a supreme presence.

Throughout the ages, groups of people or tribes who somehow collectively believed in some god or afterlife, better coped to survive and continue the lineage. All living men today can somehow have ancestors that began believing in a supreme being or afterlife.

How this gene gave an advantage is not clear. One can only guess that for example, a man in a dire situation who had hope will do all that he can to get out of it. Or a community with a religion is kept in social order for fear of supernatural punishment. Those without order eventually wiped each other out. There can be many reasons.

Offline sirhc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 191
« Reply #1088 on: Dec 13, 2013 at 03:11 PM »
A village which does not have religion flourishes.

The article's argument regarding religion being roadblock in development is a bit too shallow for me. Working all the week's day is not that big of a deal. Besides, its already a safety standard that you have to have a rest day for a proper work-life balance. Although you can increase your output with that, the problem is it would not be sustainable in the long run and is bound to hit burn-out issues. My 2 cents worth.
Never stop learning.

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1089 on: Dec 13, 2013 at 03:27 PM »
The article did not say that. It simply gave everyday work as one of the reasons it is flourishing. The article was never about the village not having a religion. It was about a man who went out and changed a collective mindset to bring themselves out of poverty. one woman pointed out that they were spiritual.

Offline sirhc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 191
« Reply #1090 on: Dec 13, 2013 at 03:43 PM »
The article did not say that. It simply gave everyday work as one of the reasons it is flourishing. The article was never about the village not having a religion. It was about a man who went out and changed a collective mindset to bring themselves out of poverty. one woman pointed out that they were spiritual.

yes, I'm aware of that, I just spoke out my mind since Klaus just stated that his hyperlink was titled "A village which does not have a religion flourishes". Also, it was about the Sabbath Day that the article attributed to religion. Hence, my comment.
Never stop learning.

Offline leomarley

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #1091 on: Feb 15, 2014 at 08:29 AM »
Yep. God's a dick. or a drunk. or crazy. maybe all of them.

Before Jesus arrived and his divine father chilled out, the Old Testament God was, ironically, kind of a hellraiser. He was not a nice guy. He really liked killing people. And he may have actually been insane, if his willingness to randomly murder devout worshippers like Moses was any indication. Here are the 12 craziest, most awful things God did in the Old Testament, back before that wacked-out hippie Jesus softened him up.

http://io9.com/gods-12-biggest-dick-moves-in-the-old-testament-1522970429?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #1092 on: Jul 07, 2014 at 11:05 AM »
http://www.rappler.com/move-ph/ispeak/62086-long-overdue-apostasy?

"I gave unsolicited guidance as a 'believer'; presumptuously doling out Bible verses as if they were freshly-baked cookies... I sincerely apologize to those who had to endure this brief phase when I foolishly fancied myself an evangelist. I honestly wish I could bake you all real cookies."

Offline thebat

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2184
« Reply #1093 on: Jul 07, 2014 at 11:29 AM »
Subscribing ang learning more about the topic.
Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline Hammerheart

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • DVD Guru
  • Formerly known as tormentor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #1094 on: Jul 07, 2014 at 02:22 PM »
Oh my god if there is a god
Save my soul if i have a soul.

Offline thebat

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2184
« Reply #1095 on: Jul 07, 2014 at 02:28 PM »
Parang mahirap magbasa ng thread nito with my virgin religious beliefs. :-)
Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline AppleMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #1096 on: Jul 28, 2014 at 10:49 PM »
Tanong lang po paano ba nag-exist ang universe or ang tao?
KEF Q100
NAD C326BEE

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1097 on: Jul 28, 2014 at 11:02 PM »
Tanong lang po paano ba nag-exist ang universe or ang tao?

that's what scientists are trying to find out.

Offline irmscher

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 156
« Reply #1098 on: Jul 28, 2014 at 11:07 PM »
If it hasn't been quoted yet, allow me:

“There is something infantile in the presumption that somebody else has a responsibility to give your life meaning and point… The truly adult view, by contrast, is that our life is as meaningful, as full and as wonderful as we choose to make it.”
― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

Offline AppleMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #1099 on: Jul 28, 2014 at 11:24 PM »
Ano po ba yung missing link? nakita na po ba?  ;D ;D ;D
KEF Q100
NAD C326BEE

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #1100 on: Jul 29, 2014 at 08:00 AM »
In fairness to science pag di pa kayang sagutin sinasabi ng mga scientists na hi di pa nila alam ang sagot for now.

Sa religion pag di kayang sagutin misteryo daw. Trinity is still a mystery.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #1101 on: Jul 29, 2014 at 10:23 AM »
Ano po ba yung missing link? nakita na po ba?  ;D ;D ;D

Chinaman daw yun missing link.  ;D

joke!

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1102 on: Jul 29, 2014 at 01:45 PM »

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #1103 on: Jul 29, 2014 at 11:05 PM »
Christianity is doing the right thing even it is against morality* and religion.

* world's morality
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2014 at 11:08 PM by dpogs »
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline panzimus

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1104 on: Jul 30, 2014 at 01:03 AM »
how do we really know what is really right and what is really wrong?

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #1105 on: Jul 30, 2014 at 01:16 AM »
how do we really know what is really right and what is really wrong?

we can't... human alone can't distuingish the difference between right and wrong... we dont have the ability to determine what is right or wrong... we are only guided on what is acceptable within our society or particular group of people...
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline dodie

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1106 on: Jul 30, 2014 at 02:07 AM »
I walk by faith, not by sight. I who is finite will not try to grasp the infinite, much less exhaust it. I cannot understand it now and the rational mind does not accept it now, because the mind sees only the tangibles. about the intangibles, although i live with a measure of awareness that some things exist in the intangible, seldom do i consider this world in my everyday living, because so much of my existence is defined in the concrete. but faith alone changes that. I do not know what a perfect world will be or should be, but God does. I have God's promise that it will be perfect, that i will be satisfied with it and that nothing will ever come along to destroy that bliss.  I, who believe in God, rest in that blessed hope. And i know it will be true because God, in His holy word, has told me so....

skeptics and non believers, with some respect, would be like Moses, seeing the promised-land before dying but never entering into it.
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2014 at 02:10 AM by dodie »
WCH CM U?

Offline panzimus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1107 on: Jul 31, 2014 at 01:33 AM »
In fairness to science pag di pa kayang sagutin sinasabi ng mga scientists na hi di pa nila alam ang sagot for now.

Sa religion pag di kayang sagutin misteryo daw. Trinity is still a mystery.

for me, pag laging sinasabi ng religion mo na misteryo ang mga bagay na di masagot, there's something wrong with that religion. God provides the answers that we need. All we have to do is ask...at syempre samahan ng logical na pagiisip. God is very logical for me. May paliwanag ang lahat. How can someone na Almighty will only leave the unexplained as a mystery? He provides the answers.

And I really believe there is a God. Just look at how our universe was created, it should really, really be chaotic with everything goin on in it, but still, everything is in order. Sa dami daming asteroids, comets and what have you na gumagala sa universe, or even sa galaxy natin, we are still here and alive. As He said, His house is a house of order. Dumating na ko sa point na almost mawala na ang faith ko, but every time I look around, look at nature, look up in the sky...it would really show that there is a Supreme Being managing all of this. There is a God. You might not have a specific religion that you belong to, but I find it really difficult to deny there is a God.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2014 at 01:36 AM by panzimus »

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1108 on: Jul 31, 2014 at 06:37 AM »
for me, pag laging sinasabi ng religion mo na misteryo ang mga bagay na di masagot, there's something wrong with that religion. God provides the answers that we need. All we have to do is ask...at syempre samahan ng logical na pagiisip. God is very logical for me. May paliwanag ang lahat. How can someone na Almighty will only leave the unexplained as a mystery? He provides the answers.

And I really believe there is a God. Just look at how our universe was created, it should really, really be chaotic with everything goin on in it, but still, everything is in order. Sa dami daming asteroids, comets and what have you na gumagala sa universe, or even sa galaxy natin, we are still here and alive. As He said, His house is a house of order. Dumating na ko sa point na almost mawala na ang faith ko, but every time I look around, look at nature, look up in the sky...it would really show that there is a Supreme Being managing all of this. There is a God. You might not have a specific religion that you belong to, but I find it really difficult to deny there is a God.

there may be a higher being or not but i think that if he is out there, i doubt he's like the one in the bible or in the koran.

Offline panzimus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1109 on: Jul 31, 2014 at 08:26 AM »
there may be a higher being or not but i think that if he is out there, i doubt he's like the one in the bible or in the koran.

that's interesting bro, ano tingin mo the Supreme being would be like?