Author Topic: HDMI Deep Color  (Read 2972 times)

Offline DVDMe

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
HDMI Deep Color
« on: Oct 15, 2009 at 03:26 PM »
hi,

why is hdmi deep color important in bluray players? some pioneer blu-ray have 48bit hdmi deep color. thanks.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Re: HDMI Deep Color
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2009 at 09:40 AM »
Deep color I think is the next generation of video color system which gives better quality of video considering the additional color element besides the traditional RGB. It is an added attraction to bluray players because this color scheme may be implemented through the bluray disc which will be played by the player. However, until now i think the technology has yet been perfected. If you want to benefit from this, it requires that the source material and the equipment to output this should also be deep color capable.
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline DVDMe

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2009 at 10:54 AM »
Deep color I think is the next generation of video color system which gives better quality of video considering the additional color element besides the traditional RGB. It is an added attraction to bluray players because this color scheme may be implemented through the bluray disc which will be played by the player. However, until now i think the technology has yet been perfected. If you want to benefit from this, it requires that the source material and the equipment to output this should also be deep color capable.

thanks for the reply :)

Offline fakuryu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm with CoCo
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2009 at 11:44 PM »
Ndi ko matandaan kung saan ko nabasa pero a 5kphp HDMI cable does not make a difference from a 200 php HDMI cable from CDRking and that a HDMI Deep Color cable does not mean anything.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2009 at 06:25 AM »
Ndi ko matandaan kung saan ko nabasa pero a 5kphp HDMI cable does not make a difference from a 200 php HDMI cable from CDRking and that a HDMI Deep Color cable does not mean anything.

depends on what version of cable you have. there are some cables still supporting hdmi 1.2 specs, which means it does not support deep color. only the latest specs which is hdmi 1.3 a to c supports deep color. that being said. you are right. if both cables (expensive and cdrking) are hdmi 1.3 spec'ed, in theory it should perform the same, the only difference is maybe in build quality.

as for deep color meaning anything, i think sir jerix has answered the question already:

If you want to benefit from this, it requires that the source material and the equipment to output this should also be deep color capable.

so even if you have it, but the bluray and your bluray player does not support it, it may be nothing, but as any technology, it takes time before it goes mainstream.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2009 at 06:51 PM »
Frankly, if anyone has seen how gorgeous a well configured HD set-up can do in producing vibrant 24-bit colors on a 42 inch 1080p LCD or Plasma over HDMI 1.3 with BD materials as they are, I don't see how doubling that to deep color can be perceptually any better.  People already have a hard time distinguishing between 720p and 1080p on even a 42" LCD, any further improvement on what we have today given the hardware we have  is already going beyond the point of diminishing returns.

Deep color might matter in 2k resolution though.  But we're talking 100" LCD TVs or wall-to-wall wrap around LCDs for surround video.  And that needs more bandwidth and disc capacity than what BD can provide.  But that might not happen in our lifetime as the next trend in home video entertainment is High Resolution 3D - reproducing the IMAX 3D experience at home.  There are already HD LCDs made for home 3D using stereoscopic eyeglasses.  Not your old red and green lenses.