Author Topic: WDTV LIVE / WDTV2 Media Player  (Read 115018 times)

Offline Bogsle

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: WDTV LIVE / WDTV2 Media Player
« Reply #300 on: Mar 27, 2010 at 10:33 PM »
May I ask for help, please?

Does WDTV Live have problems playing .m2ts files? My officemate bought last week a WDTV Live from Greenhills.

He tried playing 2 BD ripped m2ts movies, one was 15 GB in size and the other 12 GB. The movies would play well for 2 to 3 minutes and then it would start to be quirky as the movements on the screen would slow down for a minute or so, then resume normal playing for another two minutes and then starts to be quirky again.

We played the movies on another media player, supposedly an older one but different brand, and the movies played without any problems.

The firmware on the WDTV Live was updated to 1.01.24 upon connection to the Internet and there was no problem with that.

This is very disappointing considering that the WDTV Live has a newer and faster processor.

Maybe someone have the answer to this?

Just an update...

I told my colleague to sell the WDTV Live and go for a second hand WDTV 1 because as per personal experience in the past I had no problems with the WDTV1 before and it played everything. Who needs the network port anyway if you won't be using it for downloading or accessing media over the network. All his movies are on the disk and unlike most of us here, he does not tinker with the media player but only wants a device that can play movie files.

As he was disappointed with the WDTV Live (...and I was embarrassed for suggesting it as one of the options for NMTs) he eventually agreed to go for a cheaper second hand WDTV 1.

« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2010 at 10:34 PM by Bogsle »

Offline MaCMeL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #301 on: Mar 28, 2010 at 07:02 PM »
I never used the WD TV LIVE but did a lot of work with the WDTV1, you could make it network capable also with the right adapters and software.

Never had a problem with it, hard to brick and if you can see the GUI mods that they have done with it, you will be amazed by the rich interface that you can achieve (very near into having an XBMC interface)
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.
MaCMeL

Offline phase1youth

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #302 on: Apr 10, 2010 at 05:52 PM »
currently my WDTV live has video stuttering issues on some mkv and avi files (mostly anime)

anyone has this problem? im running 1.02.21 firmware

Offline batanglambak

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #303 on: May 22, 2010 at 08:59 AM »
kumusta wifi wireless streaming using a wifi dongle? .. will have my movies on a nas .. tapos stream ko sana sa wdtv live ... anybody tried this setup? ... am thinking of getting the wdtv live or the xtreamer ... thanks ... :)
Samsung UA55KU6000
Onkyo TX-SR343
Atlantic Technology System 250.1

Offline andlisten

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Go ahead funk
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #305 on: Jun 16, 2010 at 03:11 PM »
There's some doubt that model will be imported here because it's the same as the WD TV Live except for the addition of some features allowing you to purchase/rent content online.

Unfortunately, most of those services only work in North America (Netflix) so that model is specific to the U.S. market.

Offline andlisten

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Go ahead funk
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #306 on: Jun 16, 2010 at 04:48 PM »
There's some doubt that model will be imported here because it's the same as the WD TV Live except for the addition of some features allowing you to purchase/rent content online.

Unfortunately, most of those services only work in North America (Netflix) so that model is specific to the U.S. market.

Sayang supported pa naman dvd/bd menu navigation

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #307 on: Jun 17, 2010 at 03:36 PM »
The ability to play DVD/BD Menus require chips with built-in DRM (Digital Rights Management).

Even if you can update your Live's firmware with one from the Live Plus, without the proper Sigma chip, it will not work exactly like a Live Plus.

The workaround probably is to RIP your Retail DVD to strip it of DRM so that the Live (using Live Plus) firmware can play DVD menus.

Even though technically BD Menus are said to work, I wouldn't count on it. Early BDs may probably play but new ones with Java menus won't kahit anong gawin mo.

Offline Melwyn B. Alamag

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #308 on: Jul 09, 2010 at 07:45 PM »
Just wanted to ask, has anyone here experienced skipping audio and video with their WDTV unit?  Last week i used my unit and it wasnt like this.  Now the video and audio skips which is kinda frustrating.  Could it be the HDMI cable or the unit?  I'd like to ask for opinions first before i warranty claim this unit.  Its just a month old.  Thanks

Offline jungie

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #309 on: Jul 16, 2010 at 04:30 PM »
why is it that mkv files play smoother than mp4 files (the kingdon release types)

mp4 is much smaller in files and the sound is much lower compared to the mkvs...

anyone else also noticed this?

Offline bigfleet

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #310 on: Jul 22, 2010 at 04:42 PM »
finally bought one at Pchub gilmore.

picked it over the xtreamer because of the Component video only input of my old (circa 2005) sony lcdtv.

i do notice the faults mentioned but its my first media player so Im just excited it plays all my various anime and movie files.

planning to get the tp-link 821N for wifi connection,  hope it works flawlessly since its on the approved list of WD.

Offline jungie

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #311 on: Jul 24, 2010 at 01:24 PM »
pls post if u have tried tp-link 821N working thanks :D

Offline bigfleet

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #312 on: Jul 31, 2010 at 05:27 PM »
jungie,

checked sa amazon.com, yun buffalo wli-ul-gcn something pinaka madami users paired with wdtv live kaya yun ang binili ko.  as reported nag connect agad sa wrt320n.  bought sa silicon valley sm marikina. 

but may performance lag (kaya ko gusto mag tplink 821n because cheapest na 300mps speed pero wala ako makita sa lowest price na willing ko i-bayad) pag playing mp4 and mkv greater than 7gb, mga 1080p files.  parang nag bbuffer or something kaya kailangan rewind mo ng kaunti then resume play.  about every 20-30mins na uulit ito.  youtube speed plays like sa pc.

yun price difference ng buffalo 150mpbs vs. yun tplink 821n, pwde na ako mag experiment gamit cdrking wifi-n usb adapter.  php600 lang 300mbps na pero questionable durability.  wdtv live daw prefers ralink chipset pero may mga realtek based (re8188 ata) adapters nag work.  sana mag work sya sa wdtv.  one of these days dalhin ko sa cdrking wdtv,  kung mag light up adapter mas malaki chance na mag work sya  better kung may monitor para makita mo talaga kung working/looking for networks.

Offline carrots

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #313 on: Aug 04, 2010 at 10:45 PM »
Hi Guys,
 I'm using a WDTV LIVE plugged into a Dlink gigabit router that has my dlink dns 323 NAS plugged into it as well.

My prob is that .mkv video playback (720p) movies, are stuttering from time to time. It's really getting very annoying  >:( >:( >:( since the movie playback stutters so bad that i have to rewind or fast-forward and rewind again to that particular scene that hanged.

I already tried accessing the NAS on wdtv live as a NETWORK SHARE and not the Media server option which did solve the problem but then the stuttering came up again a few days ago.

Hope the gurus here can help me on this, Thanks in advance :)

*additional info:
I'm using CAT6 data LAN cables, firmware 1.08 on DNS, not sure of the firmware on my wdtv live thou...

Offline warfab

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #314 on: Aug 13, 2010 at 05:55 AM »
Another tip for WDLXTV Live (B-rad.cc Custom Firmware) users:

Create an empty txt file on the root of your primary usb drive and rename it "video_resume_point_table".

Now you'll have a persistent resume even after you turn off your wdtv live completely! ;D

This only works from v0.4.2.1 of B-rad's WDTV Live custom firmware onwards

Offline boogieman9092000

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
WD tv live problem
« Reply #315 on: Sep 09, 2010 at 05:34 PM »
Guys, ask ko lang, nag download ako ng HD na DTS movie pero pag play ko gamit ng WD TV live ( DTS capable) nag switch na ako ng DTS sa audio option ng WD Tv pero ayaw lumabas DTS sa screen ng Amplifier, ang naka sabi  Pro Logic enhansed lang. Gamit ko is Yamaha DSP-1 na amplifier, tapos naka optic cable ako.

Thank you guys

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
Re: WD tv live problem
« Reply #316 on: Sep 09, 2010 at 06:47 PM »
Guys, ask ko lang, nag download ako ng HD na DTS movie pero pag play ko gamit ng WD TV live ( DTS capable) nag switch na ako ng DTS sa audio option ng WD Tv pero ayaw lumabas DTS sa screen ng Amplifier, ang naka sabi  Pro Logic enhansed lang. Gamit ko is Yamaha DSP-1 na amplifier, tapos naka optic cable ako.

Thank you guys

i dont have wdtv live and not using yamaha ampli, i hope this will help...
try to check if wdtv's audio setup is transmitting DTS to your amplifier via digital out as "raw"

Offline boogieman9092000

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #317 on: Sep 09, 2010 at 09:31 PM »
i dont have wdtv live and not using yamaha ampli, i hope this will help...
try to check if wdtv's audio setup is transmitting DTS to your amplifier via digital out as "raw"

Thanks, pero, how do you check it? sorry, not really that familiar.. thanks

Offline EDIGeek

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #318 on: Sep 09, 2010 at 11:23 PM »
I have also a WD TV Live. I bought it from JBL at Fort. Yung optical cable di maalis sa Unit.  I use this with my Polk Soundbar 360.

Eto yung problema

1. Optical cable stuck sa unit
2. Audio from movies is intermittent. Minsan meron, minsan wala.
3. RCA output is not working - audio part. so i really need to use the optical cable.

Sabi nang JBL meron daw talagang di kaya output yung audio. Kesyo kailangan daw magandang optic cable etc. Anyway i sent it to them 1 week na wala pa ako feedback. I am giving them some leeway kasi okay naman kausap. Ang nakaka asar lang - eto parati ang salita - WE CANNOT PROMISE ANYTHING BUT WE WOULD HELP!!! - hanep sa customer service. To think na under warranty pa yung unit. I bought it a month ago. Kaya nga may warranty - IT IS AN IMPLICIT PROMISE to FIX andy defects. IT IS A RESPONSIBILITY AND LIABILITY OF THE Seller.

OT na yata ako....anyway yung pag adjust nang settings just use the remote and nasa screen naman. You need to scroll down and look for it. Same icon naman yung settings parang geared wheel...
Hope this helps...
ROTEL RA-11
Pro Ject TT
Pro Ject Speaker Box5
Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary ed.
ROTEL RDV 1093

Offline boogieman9092000

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #319 on: Sep 09, 2010 at 11:47 PM »
I have also a WD TV Live. I bought it from JBL at Fort. Yung optical cable di maalis sa Unit.  I use this with my Polk Soundbar 360.

Eto yung problema

1. Optical cable stuck sa unit
2. Audio from movies is intermittent. Minsan meron, minsan wala.
3. RCA output is not working - audio part. so i really need to use the optical cable.

Sabi nang JBL meron daw talagang di kaya output yung audio. Kesyo kailangan daw magandang optic cable etc. Anyway i sent it to them 1 week na wala pa ako feedback. I am giving them some leeway kasi okay naman kausap. Ang nakaka asar lang - eto parati ang salita - WE CANNOT PROMISE ANYTHING BUT WE WOULD HELP!!! - hanep sa customer service. To think na under warranty pa yung unit. I bought it a month ago. Kaya nga may warranty - IT IS AN IMPLICIT PROMISE to FIX andy defects. IT IS A RESPONSIBILITY AND LIABILITY OF THE Seller.

OT na yata ako....anyway yung pag adjust nang settings just use the remote and nasa screen naman. You need to scroll down and look for it. Same icon naman yung settings parang geared wheel...
Hope this helps...

Hahaha, thanks.. pero i already set the WDTV sa DTS setting, pero ayaw pa rin lumabas kasi sa AMP yung DTS, naka pro logic lang..

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #320 on: Sep 10, 2010 at 02:19 AM »
Yamaha DSP-1 like this;

I can't find any reference to your amp except for the above. And if it is the pictured unit, I can't see any reference to it supporting DTS

Offline boogieman9092000

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #321 on: Sep 10, 2010 at 08:09 AM »
Yamaha DSP-1 like this;

I can't find any reference to your amp except for the above. And if it is the pictured unit, I can't see any reference to it supporting DTS

Sir, hindi yan yun, baka old model yan.. yung sa akin may DTS and optical in, the funny thing is kapag DVD gamit ko, nag DTS yung amplifier, pero kapag WDtv ayaw mag DTS... ano kaya dapat, I also tried using another WDtv, may 2 kasi ako... pareho ayaw mag DTS... thanks

Offline boogieman9092000

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #322 on: Sep 10, 2010 at 08:24 AM »
mga boss, eto yung AMP, may nakita ko sa pinoydvd
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,120490.0.html thanks guys

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #323 on: Sep 10, 2010 at 10:14 AM »
like Reynold, sa palagay ko limited lang ang kakayanan ng dsp-1 para tapatan ang mga bagong gears and their features. so it's either deal with what (limited capabilities) it can do or bite the bullet and upgrade your receiver.  ;)

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #324 on: Sep 10, 2010 at 10:34 PM »
Your DSP-A1 should support DTS, not unless HD Audio talaga encoded ang movie, then we have the same problem...

as bro praktikal's advice, Upgrade!!! ;D ;D ;D
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline d-mark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • rock on
  • Liked:
« Reply #325 on: Sep 13, 2010 at 11:46 AM »
im a wd tv live user too, ok naman may dts... im using an old onkyo dts 5.1 receiver, try to set your wd tv live audio setting to digital....  :)

Offline boogieman9092000

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #326 on: Sep 15, 2010 at 09:43 AM »
im a wd tv live user too, ok naman may dts... im using an old onkyo dts 5.1 receiver, try to set your wd tv live audio setting to digital....  :)

how do you change it to digital? gamit ko na is optic cable. and DTS yung WD tv live ko kasi, sayang naman kung bibili ng bago, less than 2 months old pa lang =)

Offline d-mark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • rock on
  • Liked:
« Reply #327 on: Sep 21, 2010 at 06:27 PM »
how do you change it to digital? gamit ko na is optic cable. and DTS yung WD tv live ko kasi, sayang naman kung bibili ng bago, less than 2 months old pa lang =)
go to settings........ audio/video........ change audio from stereo to digital....... make sure nakaconnect ... optic cable

Offline pooch

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #328 on: Oct 23, 2010 at 08:54 PM »
tried the usb wifi of the xtreamer, works well

Offline Theus

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #329 on: Oct 31, 2010 at 02:23 PM »
guys, pwede ba usb hub sa wdtv live?  i just got another 1TB and was wondering kung pwede mag usb hub.  thanks.