Author Topic: The Peque Gallaga Thread  (Read 125329 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: THE PEQUE GALLAGA THREAD
« Reply #450 on: Jul 07, 2007 at 07:45 PM »
Abbo's name was Melchor. In the original 5hour cut, there was a relationship that developed between him and Trining's character, played by Cherie Gil.

Offline jdv1229

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #451 on: Jul 07, 2007 at 07:48 PM »
was there really? that would be strange i'm glad that it wasn't included in the film...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #452 on: Jul 07, 2007 at 07:51 PM »
You can see the tension between Melchor and Trining when the tulisanes met the two families and had a violent encounter with them at the forest and abducted Trining.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #453 on: Jul 07, 2007 at 08:02 PM »
It was already cut by Peque, audio_jolog the 5hour cut. Yup, so many scenes were left already on the cutting floor even the Zen preparation of Joel and Ronnie Lazaro before trekking in the forest to save Trining from the bandits' hideout.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #454 on: Jul 07, 2007 at 08:19 PM »
The Zen preparation was one of the best scenes in the 5hour cut. Too bad those scenes were already thrown away.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #455 on: Jul 07, 2007 at 08:41 PM »
Nah bro, the 5hour cut doesn't exist anymore.

The most complete version is the 3hour plus running time.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #456 on: Jul 07, 2007 at 09:22 PM »
Welcome, bro. Kindly check the archive of Cinema One for ORO PLATA MATA's sked. They show it once in a while.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #457 on: Jul 24, 2007 at 09:09 PM »

Peque Gallaga as creative consultant for LIGAW LIHAM with Karylle on the set in Negros Occidental. Photo taken from keating's cd press kit.
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2007 at 09:10 PM by keating »

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #458 on: Jul 24, 2007 at 09:20 PM »
Pareng pogi, ilang beses mo na napapanuod yung Oro Plata Mata?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #459 on: Jul 24, 2007 at 09:24 PM »
Hundred times, man. I can now even memorize all the dialogue in that film.

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #460 on: Jul 24, 2007 at 09:27 PM »
^wooow....I envy you....yang Oro Plata Mata ang isa sa mga movies na gusto kong mapanuod ulet! Last time I watch it was on VHS at or Beta pa when I was in Grade 6! Twice ko palang sya napapanuod >.<

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #461 on: Aug 01, 2007 at 12:27 PM »
Peque did a string of tv shows during the 70's with Butch Perez. I was still a toddler when he did THE FABULOUS GAMBOA SHOW which for no apparent reason, the main star didn't show up for his own tv show.

CHAMPOY was pure fun, the gags still relevant up to now if you happen to catch the re-runs on channel 9.
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2007 at 12:30 PM by keating »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #462 on: Aug 02, 2007 at 01:48 PM »
THE FABULOUS GAMBOA SHOW came out 'round 1968-1969, on IBC 13 which at that time was still owned by Andres Soriano Jr. and managed by Henry Canoy of the RMN RAdio Network. Am still digging-up info on this show.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #463 on: Aug 02, 2007 at 06:46 PM »
I thought it was in the 70's RMN. I wonder how did they manage to make the show alive and kicking since the lead star didn't appear and always has a reason whatever it is.

The Peque and Butch combo followed it up with THE HILDA AND WALTER SPECIAL. And yes, Peque and Butch still bond until now. Too bad Peque should have made more wonders in HAPLOS.
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2007 at 11:08 PM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #464 on: Aug 25, 2007 at 10:31 AM »

FILIPINO vs. FILIPINO

by Arlene Babst (Reprinted from Bulletin Today, 5 January 1983)

The film ORO PLATA MATA certainly deserves to be discussed for its artistic achievements which are many. Those of you who've already seen it and the crowds were always SRO during its run at the Film Center have noted its meticulous attention to detail, its consistently professional photography, and the superb control exercised by its director Peque Gallaga, control evident in practically every frame of the three-and-a-half hour epic.

The film is in fact, so successful that it must inevitably be viewed on the multi-dimensional level, where not only its artistic accomplishments come to fore but also those achievements in other fields-the historical or political, to name two others.

The film centers on two wealthy family (hacienderos) and how it survives the Second World War and the Japanese occupation of the Philippines.

But viewed in a historical or political mood, the movie practically screams out this vision: there was only one Japanese soldier ever shown in the entire picture. The rest of the time, only the Filipino was depicted, the Filipino's way of life whether he was the rich haciendero or the exploited farm hand; the Filipino's manner of coping with disaster, whether by resisting, collaborating or adding to the disaster; the Filipino's way of preserving his human community, or else destroying it with his own greed and bestiality.

The vision is precise, merciless. At last we have a film brave and enormous enough to zero in on the Filipino man and woman alone, without the crutches or scapegoats of external influences, no matter how powerful. Here at last we are given the Filipino as a self-sufficient cosmic being, self-sufficient even in his deficiencies and therefore self-sufficient in his salvation.

Naturally the Spanish influence is there, and heavily. Of course, America as savior is there, too, obviously it is the Japanese invasion that wrecks the idyllic pleasures of life on a plantation (idyllic that is, if you owned the plantation; as oppressive as a war if you merely worked on it.)

But all throughout the film, the vision focuses upon the Filipino driving home the fact that upon the Filipino and the Filipino alone rests the fate of the Filipino way of life, the Filipino family, the Filipino individual. We see the family flee to the forests and there try to rebuild its shattered way of life, and we are made to understand that in such apparently helpless flight , there is still the fierce determination of that Filipino family to maintaon itself, to live the way it wants to live, and eventually, to fight all those who treaten to destroy it.

And who is the greatest threat to this family of average Filipinos, average in their greed, their sloth, their thoughtlessness, as well as their resilience, their capacity for merriment in the face of hell, their stoicism? Who is their greatest enemy? Fellow Filipinos. Not the Japanese or the war, but fellow Filipinos; in the film, a band of vicious tulisanes bestial enough to kill their own sons and wives, or to torture their own compatriots.

The film coincedes wiht history and politics in this bitter realization. Filipinos have always been the greatest destroyers of fellow Filipinos over centuries of collaborating with foreigner fevered with the desire for profits and power. And by the same token, Filipinos must become------when? the greatest protectors and defenders of fellow Filipinos, and of this beautiful, beloved land which so many have already tried to destroy.
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2009 at 01:16 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #465 on: Aug 25, 2007 at 07:26 PM »
why don't you put up a website for Peque?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #466 on: Aug 25, 2007 at 07:30 PM »
I have plans, will talk first to him to make it official. I had the rare chance to see last night ORO PLATA MATA with subs at the house of Peque's friend. Fantastic! The one that they show in Belgium although the party scene is quite dim.

Jojo do you remember if the one you saw at MFC has subs?
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2007 at 07:32 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #467 on: Aug 25, 2007 at 07:36 PM »
during the MIFF? it was subtitled but the theatrical release wasn't although both were uncut...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #468 on: Aug 25, 2007 at 07:42 PM »
Its the most complete so far, the one that I saw last night. You can see the cook I don't know if that's Joey Reyes walking in the corridor before a long shot of the kitchen table were the guests eat at the party scene. And Joel Torre seats at the shoehouse while talking to Cherie before they went inside the villa.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #469 on: Aug 25, 2007 at 07:49 PM »
unfortunately, i don't remember the scenes you mentioned... i have to see it again.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #470 on: Aug 25, 2007 at 07:52 PM »
It was probably the print that they screen at MFC in 1982.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #471 on: Aug 25, 2007 at 07:59 PM »
maybe but i really don't remember those scenes.. that's probably why Peque wanted to re-edit the cinema one copy...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #472 on: Aug 25, 2007 at 08:00 PM »
Its mind-boggling that the copy from Cinema One has no subs!

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #473 on: Aug 25, 2007 at 08:05 PM »
their copy came from the CCP's only existing print...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #474 on: Aug 25, 2007 at 08:10 PM »
Yup I almost forgot the one that CCP auctioned. Peque probably owns the existing copy that has subs.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #475 on: Aug 25, 2007 at 08:12 PM »
that's a possibility although i was told that the CCP print is in bad shape as well.  all of their archival copies have been transferred to betacam-SP...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #476 on: Aug 25, 2007 at 08:19 PM »
Betacam-Sp is different from umatic, Jo?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #477 on: Aug 25, 2007 at 08:22 PM »
it's different... betacam-SP as i was told is more suited for archiving.

Offline telonistas

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #478 on: Aug 26, 2007 at 12:40 AM »
Betacam-Sp is different from umatic, Jo?

umatic is 3/4 inch video tape that is purely analog. 80s to 90s tech while betacam uses 1/2 inch video tape but it can record on component signal as well as analog. best format for budget archiving. digital betacam is the best but a lot more expensive. cost of tape and dubbing service.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #479 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 02:48 PM »
Albert Martinez on ORO PLATA MATA:

" I still regret and feel guilty everytime I see Peque for not doing it, because during those times I was doing 3-4 movies simultaneously on my home studio Regal Films and the location of ORO is so far."
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2007 at 02:56 PM by keating »