Author Topic: blu ray discs good price  (Read 13934 times)

Offline ultimax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
blu ray discs good price
« on: May 24, 2010 at 06:19 PM »
Just wanted to inform you guys. Saw some blu ray discs at cinema square makati for 600. packaging is for real. and only plays on blu ray players (of course). nice titles.....

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: blu ray discs good price
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010 at 06:31 PM »
Just for clarification bro, how would you know it plays only on BD player? Did the seller test the disc using a BD player? Which floor is the seller located?

Offline ultimax

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010 at 10:55 PM »
Just for clarification bro, how would you know it plays only on BD player? Did the seller test the disc using a BD player? Which floor is the seller located?
no, I would'nt know, no bd player there, no hd monitor  and I don't think the seller will open a sealed box just to test it. He insisted it's the original and can be returned if it's fake. bad for business if his lying. Or you can wait for feedbacks in this forum coz im sure one way or another somebody's gonna try it.
from the basement parking, climb the stairs then ride the escalator up one floor then make a u turn and walk towards a stall before reaching the corner on the left. BTW: don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to help this guy sell his stuff. just providing info to bd fanatics.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010 at 11:16 PM »
No I'm not. I am indeed a BD fanatic thus my questions to you in the hope that you may have verified it na. :)

P600 is a very good price but somehow I have my doubt. On well, I may drop by the place within the week to verify it. No BD player, no problem. Just a regular DVD player will do. :)

Offline ultimax

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010 at 08:55 AM »
I would appreciate if you could give me feedback. It could help me decide to buy a bd player.  ;)

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010 at 10:15 AM »
Just wanted to inform you guys. Saw some blu ray discs at cinema square makati for 600. packaging is for real. and only plays on blu ray players (of course). nice titles.....

MCS is known as the place in makati for pirated discs. At P600, that's expensive even if it's bluray since pirated discs have no resale value. Also, the vendors have been selling dvd 9's in blu ray packaging for almost 2 years now, how do you know that's not the case if you don't open it?

Offline coffeetiger

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010 at 11:08 AM »
Did you ask the vendor if these are imports or local release bds?  What are some of the titles that they are selling, new or old releases?

P600 price tag is too expensive for a bootleg and too cheap for an original sealed new release BD, though I think it's about right for used old releases.

I think vendors believe that blu-ray quality movies that play on dvd players is actually a selling point.  Most people would be happy to buy blu-ray quality movies and have them play on their dvd players.  It saves them from upgrading to an expensive BD player.  So I think the vendors will gain nothing by lying and stating that these will play only on bd players... unless it's true.

But... it's still best to get confirmation from someone who has actually bought it.  ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010 at 12:24 PM »
OP says the BD discs can be played in BD player only (presuming this info comes from the seller).

So I think the vendors will gain nothing by lying and stating that these will play only on bd players... unless it's true.

But... it's still best to get confirmation from someone who has actually bought it.  ;D

Or unless the sellers themselves got misled into believing that the BD discs can actually play on BD player only....but I've a feeling they may be out there to prey on gullible victims. Oh yeah, this weekend I will visit them & will create havoc if it's not true! All hell will break loose!  ;D

MCS is known as the place in makati for pirated discs. .....how do you know that's not the case if you don't open it?

Yes, that's my thought. I'll buy one, open & test in front of the seller & make him eat his words if not true....  ;D

ultimax, could you describe a bit more details of the stall location? Is it located in the middle of ground floor? Or located inside the shop space together with other DVD vendors? Or the seller's store is standalone? You mentioned from the car park basement, next level up the staircase is  basement 1 where plenty DVD sellers, bingo, & arm dealers located. Using the escalator is next level (ground floor).

Offline ment

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010 at 12:30 PM »
hmm :) if they are old titles then pwede yan ..... pero kung new and recently released BD titles .... welll i'll have some doubt .....

Be careful ....... and yes there are existing pirated BDs (using BD-R disc) around na selling for about that price.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010 at 06:13 PM »
OP says the BD discs can be played in BD player only (presuming this info comes from the seller).

Maybe it's a DVD disc containing AVCHD video.

If so, it won't play on an SD DVD player, but it will play on BD players that are AVCHD compatible, although it still wouldn't be a real BD, and quality would be lower than a real BD.

I first learned about that from sir ninjababez in October 2008.  Here's a Nov. 2008 thread (now locked) started by sir Mouldingo: http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=88233.0

That thread lasted only 3 hours before it was locked, so expect this one to be shut down really soon ...  :D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010 at 06:22 PM by barrister »

Offline coffeetiger

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010 at 07:02 PM »

Yes, that's my thought. I'll buy one, open & test in front of the seller & make him eat his words if not true....  ;D

Ok, then let us know... and if you find out that it's not true, make him eat more than just his words!  :D

Offline TOP 20

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • Turn, Turn, Turn
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010 at 01:07 AM »
Too good to be true but will still wait for Paul's findings.

Everything to gain & nothing to lose, specially to some (like me) who are on a tight budget ;)
Ecclesiastes 3:1-9
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.

Offline froshie1

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010 at 01:41 AM »
May nakita din ako nyan sa may dampa; iyong mga restaurants na kung saan magpapaluto ka sa may Macapagal. Sa likod nun may bluray disc na 600pesos.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010 at 05:09 AM »
Ok, then let us know... and if you find out that it's not true, make him eat more than just his words!  :D

Eh...I would love to but I'm afraid anything more may result in severe physical harm & legal action. :P
Maybe I'll show some of my "Wing Chun" skils to the vendor! ;D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010 at 05:54 AM by pchin »

Offline TOP 20

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • Turn, Turn, Turn
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010 at 05:27 AM »
Eh...I would love to but I'm afraid anything more may result in severe physical harm & legal action. ,D

Go Bruce! Oops, should be go Paul! ;D
Ecclesiastes 3:1-9
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010 at 05:56 AM »
Go Bruce! Oops, should be go Paul! ;D

Chris, perhaps you could give a few pointers... ;D

Offline dencio105

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 205
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010 at 07:02 AM »
I'm also waiting for sir Paul's feedback on this.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010 at 09:01 AM »
It's easy to recreate BD kuno ngayon with all the torrents that are available on the web. Just download, convert using any editing program like Nero 9, burn on a DVD 9 and sell to a guilible buyer. :P

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010 at 10:12 AM »
This could be BD ISO burned straight on BD25 disks - that requires BD player for proper playback.  They can possibly be quite transparent to the source depending on the size of the original file(s) and sometimes, kasya pati some of the special features.   Titles can be totally new - because they could have possibly been ripped straight from original BDs warehoused somewhere and waiting for the official release date -2 weeks na meron BD ISO (25GB) and BDMV (34+GB) ng Alice in Wonderland - pure BD rips - and they're not even officially released yet.  that's just one example.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010 at 10:22 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010 at 11:11 AM »
Puwede!!!

Sabi sa Lowyat (Malaysian forum), meron na raw fake BD 25 @ RM48 (P672.49), and BD 50 @ RM58 (P812.80).  DVD9 containing BD to DVD transcode is RM15 (P210.18):

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1203583/+60

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010 at 03:30 PM by barrister »

Offline ultimax

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010 at 11:18 AM »
Could be. However I have been searching the web and still couldn't find info about bootleg 25 gig blu ray disc. All I found was the upscaled dvd 9 recorded close enough from a 720p resolution and being sold as blu ray kuno. To date this is still china and malaysia's preferred bootleg format (because the media is cheap). Ultil someone with a blu ray player tried it, we'll end up just speculating. Again, according to the seller it's the "original" and can be "returned" if not satisfied. It could be a new pirated mkv. format, original, or smugggled. Just out of curiosity if it's really a 1080p resolution disc with all the features of the original, then the industry is once again in trouble. I do not own a bluray palyer yet, but since my niece is an executive in warner brothers based in burbank ca., she brought me blu ray discs as pasalubong and she'll stop doing this if she found out I'm into bootleg.

Okay barrister! I am about to post when you posted first and found a website about this issue! It's now getting interesting...

Offline Pandidoy

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • Collector
  • pandidoy
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 113
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010 at 12:32 PM »
Hmm punta nga ako ngayon. Check ko lang. Malapit lang ito sa office.

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010 at 01:31 PM »
Regardless, the price of P600 is still too high for bootlegs, even quality ones. Also, I don't think there's enough owners of blu ray players to support the pirates.

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010 at 03:42 PM »
Regardless, the price of P600 is still too high for bootlegs, even quality ones. Also, I don't think there's enough owners of blu ray players to support the pirates.

agree.  my average spent for original BDs (pdvd marketplace, amazon & other sources) is P674 per BD( i computed just now ) so i'd still go for orig BDs. 

Offline Pandidoy

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • Collector
  • pandidoy
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 113
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010 at 03:46 PM »
agree.  my average spent for original BDs (pdvd marketplace, amazon & other sources) is P674 per BD( i computed just now ) so i'd still go for orig BDs. 

+1

Went there 30 minutes ago  ;D, OMB guys were all over the place  ;D so no chance to see/inspect the item

Offline ultimax

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010 at 03:56 PM »

you'll be surprised this guy was the first in MCS to sell the dvd9 fancy packaging with blu-ray logos and also the small plastic blu ray case that contains improved dvd9 resolution and also the first to sell those sequel movies in nice tin cases and now the controversial bd disc. he got special customers including foreigners.

Offline ultimax

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010 at 03:57 PM »
Eh...I would love to but I'm afraid anything more may result in severe physical harm & legal action. :P

to bruce lee and jet lee...this guy is a brother muslim and it's their turf so good luck.

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010 at 03:58 PM »
I just have a feeling this is a ripped BD encoded on a dvd9 with a bluray packaging exactly like the original.  Sealed!  If this is the one, the SRP of P600 is way too high.  I got mine (a couple of titles) last year for P100 only! After watching them, I swore never to buy again because it's just the same as the dvd9s priced at P60 and lower.  Pardon me ha?  But this was before.  Nung wala pa akong HDTV at BD.  Ngayon, nagbago na po ako ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010 at 05:26 PM »
Quote from the link posted by Atty barrister

Quote from lowyat forum:

Pirated Bluray A - this type of pirated blu-ray , is actually a dvd, all the content was copied from BluRay and they put it inside dvd, this one can only be played on dvd. Rm13 - 20 <---- Its called BluRay rip (Ripped from the original blu-ray disc)

Pirated Bluray B - this type of pirated blu-ray , is actually a pirated BluRay , can play only on BluRay players, its really ripped from blu-rays.Rm 48-50 <------- This called BluRay Copy (Copied 100% from the original BluRay disc 1 to 1)

Those that are selling P70-P100 is under Pirated Bluray A. As for the P600, it would fall under Pirated Bluray B (if what the vendor saying is true as the OP did mention it can only play in BD player).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010 at 06:12 PM by pchin »

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010 at 06:01 PM »
Lemme expound on Pirated Bluray B since this is where the interest lies.

Nearly all Commercial BD material have some form of encryption. For those wishing to sell material using the BluRay format, they need to author them with some form of Digital Rights Management (DRM) to protect the copyright holder from piracy. DRM methods for Bluray consist of AACS and to a minor degree Macrovision. You can google/wiki them.

Anyway, that's what stops the average person from buying a Commercial BD, popping it in a PC with a Bluray burner and making a backup.

However, AACS and Macrovision algorithms have been cracked by off-shore entities like Slysoft (makers of AnyDVD).

In essence, Slysoft (and other similar Bluray ripping software) allow you to "strip" the DRM of the Commercial BD so that it can be played using either a Media Player capable of playing BDMV/ISO content.

So what devices can play BD stripped of DRM?

1. Standalone Bluray Players
2. PCs/MACs that can play m2ts files (VLC only plays main movie feature). PowerDVD9 for full playback.
3. Media Players (products like the C200 & the Dune Base/Prime can play BDMV/BD ISO/Backups).