Author Topic: Analog and Digital Connections  (Read 980 times)

Offline coastal

• Trade Count: (+265)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Analog and Digital Connections
« on: Nov 24, 2010 at 06:00 PM »
I have my universal player that is connected via optical for digital and rca for analog to the avr. Recently kasi some of the sacds that i got are, i think, in analog and no sound would come out of the receiver since the analog marker would light up in the avr instead of digital. Sol i installed an rca cable which allowed the analog sound to come out at the avr. Will this be in anyway harmful to the avr? Or not? TIA for the advise.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
Re: Analog and Digital Connections
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2010 at 07:25 PM »
Dapat sir meron sound yan AV/R mo. Baka sa input selection lang. My entry level pio AV/R's digital input can be programmable. Since, yun universal player mo is connected digitally na (Dvd input), most likely the AV/R (Dvd input) is programmed to receive the data via HDMI combined with optical. You can connect the RCA from your player sa CD input ng AV/R then select CD sa selector when you want to listen to your player via analog.

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2010 at 10:27 PM »

in my own understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) SACD's can be played only by dedicated player and should be connected via RCA analog connection to AVR/amp with 5.1/7.1 ext. inputs. Digital (optical/coax) connection works only on DVDaudio/HDCD/EnhancedCD/CD and other audio formats. ... :)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline coastal

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2010 at 06:28 AM »
Thanks for the reply sirs. I did programmed the "audio" avr for optical (digital) and rca (analog) and in source/auto mode. Both connections are in their respective dvd input slots. I am only using a 2,0 speaker system for this. Some of the sacds would play in both digital and analog while some would automatically select the analog. Just wondering if two inputs in the two dvd input slots would have any adverse effect on the avr. Same as with my ht setup. I have my universal player connected via hdmi to the tv and a separate optical cable to the avr so the kids can watch it even without turning on the avr para tipid sa kuryente. Yun lang if i play an audio disc on the player the tv has to be turned on so i connected another separate rca cable na nilagay ko sa cd slot (analog) to override the hdmi. Now if want to use the ht for music i just select the cd input on the avr instead of the dvd and no longer need tp turn the tv on. Ok lang ba to? Or im just waiting for a disaster to develop? Maraming salamat uli for your advise! ;D

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2010 at 06:58 AM »
in my own understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) SACD's can be played only by dedicated player and should be connected via RCA analog connection to AVR/amp with 5.1/7.1 ext. inputs. Digital (optical/coax) connection works only on DVDaudio/HDCD/EnhancedCD/CD and other audio formats. ... :)

yes sir. Tama. May mga AV/R din kasi na may 5.1 inputs.

Offline coastal

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2010 at 10:02 AM »
Yes I would definitely do that when I am able to complete the 5.1 speaker setup. However, as of now nga I'm just using a 2.0 system with bookshelf speakers and the sound of the sacd (analog only) did come out only when I added the rca cable wires while the other sacds (digital) would still output in digital. Btw my player is an onkyo dv-sp502 dvd/sacd/dvd-a player and has no hdmi output so I initially I connected the optical output to the dvd input of the avr. Cds would play and come out in digital as well as the other sacds until I encountered the analog sacds. Thanks for the info and direction. ;D