Author Topic: Share your HTPC Setup  (Read 343061 times)

Offline jpadua

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Share your HTPC Setup
« Reply #930 on: May 18, 2006 at 09:07 PM »
So the x1300pro and the Palit 7300 may build in-component out connection sila?

I can't upgrade yet to PCI-E, kasi, mauupgrade lahat, I only have socket A processor...  HD and optical drives lang ang matitira, I'm using XPC so pati casing, etc...

By the way, my HDTV has VGA input, it can output native 480p and 1080i resolutions without any problems.
I'm just asking kasi, based sa mga forums, my TV supports (Philips 34PT8420) 720p, but I can't seem to enable it.

So baka through component lang sya magwowork.

I'm using my TV as my main monitor, pag 480p (640 x 480) ang lalaki ng icons at di mo mairun yung ibang applications. While 1080i, since interlaced, ang sakit sa mata lalo na sa text, its only good for video (overlay) viewing and some games....

are you sure? kaya ng 720p?  I also have a philips pero pixel plus and di talaga pwede mag 720p yun only 480p and 1080i

720p kasi mataas na res yun for this type of TV.  kaya kasi mag PAL progressive 575P and NTSC 480P  and 1080i signal is = 540P which is between 480p and 576p thats why kaya nya mag 1080i.  720p medyo malayo na from the 576p@50hz.

I was able to squeez a little more resolution with mine doing 800x600p @50hz  since 576p is not to far from 600p per 50Hz na yun... I doubt kaya nya beyond that.

Here's what you CAN do.

The highest resolution you can get for your TV is 720x540P  still a small rez but at least much better than 640x480. Native DVD resolution is 720x480, but since your TV can do 1080i that means it can also do 540P. So the highest you can go is really 540p  if you want a widescreen resolution Ive also succesfully done 960x540 for 16:9, since your TV is 4:3 mag mumukhang streched vertically yung destop, but then you have more screen space.

You will need powerstrip to create a custome resolution like 720x540p or 960x540p.  What I do is that I select a pre setup resolution using powerstrip meron dun under custom resolution 960x540.  I load it up to get the correct horizontal and vertical frequencies, then using powerstrip I manually change 960 to 720 and set the aspect ratio to 4:3.  Save and test.  Once you get a signal then you can use it na every time you boot into windows.

Jay

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #931 on: May 19, 2006 at 10:10 AM »
are you sure? kaya ng 720p?  I also have a philips pero pixel plus and di talaga pwede mag 720p yun only 480p and 1080i

720p kasi mataas na res yun for this type of TV.  kaya kasi mag PAL progressive 575P and NTSC 480P  and 1080i signal is = 540P which is between 480p and 576p thats why kaya nya mag 1080i.  720p medyo malayo na from the 576p@50hz.

Thanks again Jay,

Reading from this forum, supposedly my TV supports 720p (I have the 8420 model): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/printthread.php?t=587988&page=3&pp=30

Yung Nvidia driver may feature to create custom resolution right? May difference ba ito sa PowerStrip? Nag expire na kasi yung PowerStrip trial version ko, I can't seem to get "working" version... hehehhehe

Offline bote

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #932 on: May 24, 2006 at 05:22 AM »
Hi guys. I don't know what's wrong but maybe some of you might have an idea. I changed my pc into another one with Nvidia 6500 video card. I noticed now my pictures from the web come out pixelized or something. No matter what settings I make from the video card setup, it remains the same. Hope you can give me any other idea what to do.

Thanks
Classe cav 75/pio vSX 1120
Optoma uhd50x/Samsung h9500/yaqin mc10l/NAD bee515/Polk rti a7/reg rp3

Offline alexg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #933 on: May 29, 2006 at 10:10 AM »
I just put together a starter HTPC last weekend with:
Shuttle XPC SB77G5
P4 2.8 GHz
512 MB RAM
80 GB Seagate Sata
LG Combo drive
PowerColor Radeon 9550 256MB
Logitech cordless keyboard and mouse

Am using Zoom Player, and Microsoft Media Player 11.
The audio out (using coax SPDIF) from the built-in video cards goes to a Denon AVR and am using the VGA out from the video card to a Samsung 32" LCD.

So far, the PQ is a lot better from the HTPC than my Pioneer 655A DVD player. Sound is as good from the HTPC compared to my Pioneer.

Next weekend, I will test using my Infocus projectors.

Any suggestion for a decent remote control?
I went fishing the other day, and I caught a BIG ONE!

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #934 on: May 30, 2006 at 03:58 AM »
Shuttle XPC SB77G5
P4 2.8 GHz
512 MB RAM
80 GB Seagate Sata
LG Combo drive

The audio out (using coax SPDIF) from the built-in video cards goes to a Denon AVR and am using the VGA out from the video card to a Samsung 32" LCD.

So far, the PQ is a lot better from the HTPC than my Pioneer 655A DVD player. Sound is as good from the HTPC compared to my Pioneer.

Hi Alexg congratulations on your HTPC.  Problem is there is no available remotes here in the philippines, if you plan to get a TV Tuner, the sapphire theatrix TV tuner comes with a Cyberlink remote control.  Its very good actually, problem is its not programmable but it is compatible with MCE by default.  If you know all the shortcuts you can change the remote control options of zoomplayer to use the shortcuts of MCE so that the remote will work with it.  In other words you will have to reprogram keyboard shorcuts of zp to accomodate the remote.

If you can have this bought in the states, The imon remote is pretty good, you can program it to any software that supports keyboard shortcuts. 

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #935 on: May 30, 2006 at 07:07 AM »
I saw a PC remote at Projector World in SM City a month ago for HTPCs.  They give this as a freebie when you buy a projector from them.  You might want to ask from them if it is still available.

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #936 on: May 30, 2006 at 07:51 AM »
Hi Alexg congratulations on your HTPC.  Problem is there is no available remotes here in the philippines, if you plan to get a TV Tuner, the sapphire theatrix TV tuner comes with a Cyberlink remote control.  Its very good actually, problem is its not programmable but it is compatible with MCE by default.  If you know all the shortcuts you can change the remote control options of zoomplayer to use the shortcuts of MCE so that the remote will work with it.  In other words you will have to reprogram keyboard shorcuts of zp to accomodate the remote.

If you can have this bought in the states, The imon remote is pretty good, you can program it to any software that supports keyboard shortcuts. 

Thanks, I will be getting a DVB-S card instead of a TV tuner, we do not have cable at our Village (am currently using DreamTV).

I was playing with my setup last night, installed ffdshow, avisynth. Am getting stutters and 100% CPU usage on some resizing filters. I canot make the ffdshow with SSE2 to work, any ideas how? Thanks!

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #937 on: May 31, 2006 at 08:07 AM »
I was experimenting with ffdshow and some denoiser, resizing and sharpening filters from the other forum I am member of (AVS) and the results are fantastic on my LCD, better than the upscaling DVD player that my brother-in-law have me tried!

I will post pix soon!

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #938 on: May 31, 2006 at 02:41 PM »
I was experimenting with ffdshow and some denoiser, resizing and sharpening filters from the other forum I am member of (AVS) and the results are fantastic on my LCD, better than the upscaling DVD player that my brother-in-law have me tried!

I will post pix soon!

Yup thats true! you are actually post processing the DVD not just upscaling.

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
« Reply #939 on: Jun 01, 2006 at 03:49 PM »
Hi Jay (jpadua),

Lapit na ako magpatulong sa iyo, my stuff is all here, very busy lang entertaining.   Next week, let's start building my HTPC.

Thanks in advance.

voj

Online Gubs

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #940 on: Jun 02, 2006 at 05:28 PM »
Hello,
    Just want to ask if its worth using the vga out of my video card to the bnc rgbh/v input in my sony HDTV ready tv?Its the same as vga 15 pin in I think.
Im currently using the 6600gt component cable adapter and the picture quality is already better than our stand alone pioneer after setting output to 1080i.
Its already a as sharp if not sharper (using image sharpening)and has less blocky artifacts in dark scenes.
This is with low tech powerdvd and not theatertek or zoomplayer that you guys use.
Just asking if direct vga in would produce better quality and avoid overscsan issues compared to the component adapter.Im curently out of town and can get a vga to 5 bnc brakeout cable in the area, just wondering if its worth searching for.
Thanks in Advance
Gubs

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #941 on: Jun 03, 2006 at 07:17 AM »
Hi! Actually yes VGA is RGB.  Using component output is a step up from s-vid, but there is still some encoding going on in the video card to 720p or 1080i.  If you use VGA there is no encoding.  The resolution that you are currently using will be sent to directly your display.  To get 720p set your resolution to 1280x720 to get 1080i set your resolution to 1920x1080 (make sure you select interlaced in the advanced options).

Its worth it, so go ahead and get a VGA to BNC :) There are only 5 signals in a VGA cable, Red, Green, Blue, Horizontal and Vertical sync, = RGBHV

Online Gubs

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #942 on: Jun 03, 2006 at 09:55 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply,
Now I have to look for the cable around here in the Singapore computer shops or maybe Audio video stores.
Thanks again.
Gubs

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #943 on: Jun 03, 2006 at 01:08 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply,
Now I have to look for the cable around here in the Singapore computer shops or maybe Audio video stores.
Thanks again.
Gubs

is BNC your only option, doesnt your display have VGA input ir DVI?

Online Gubs

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #944 on: Jun 03, 2006 at 04:30 PM »
Wala e its a KV-hr34m61 a 2003 model still sold in the Sony.com,ph site got it at a very good price at the Abenson walthermart sale.
only has hiscan components and this rgbhv 5 bnc input.
Anyway ok narin kung vga input na analog I dont think theres much difference with dvi at this size of screen.Sana nga normal vga in na lang kesa tong professional grade video 5bnc input.
Ty
Gubs

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #945 on: Jun 05, 2006 at 02:17 AM »
Wala e its a KV-hr34m61 a 2003 model still sold in the Sony.com,ph site got it at a very good price at the Abenson walthermart sale.
only has hiscan components and this rgbhv 5 bnc input.
Anyway ok narin kung vga input na analog I dont think theres much difference with dvi at this size of screen.Sana nga normal vga in na lang kesa tong professional grade video 5bnc input.
Ty
Gubs

maganda yan, you'll see a big difference

Online Gubs

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #946 on: Jun 07, 2006 at 10:55 AM »
Tried the bnc cable with rca adapters. ganda nga for 1024 x 768reg computer res.Pero when i feed it 1080i theres two much flicker,much more than the component dongle.Is there anyway to avoid this.Some forums I read said raising refresh from 24 to 30 will help but it does not want to go past 25 in the advanced timings panel.
Is there anyway or I have to mess with powerstrip to make custom refresh and resolutions.Anyway after using my sisterinlaws bravia 40 inch with mac mini attached it seems the lcd is better  for displaying the desktop with sharp text etc flicker free.though the movies did not look too good.
This sony seems kinda blured for text etc. but good for pictures and movies.
Any suggestion would help.Ty
Gubs

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #947 on: Jun 07, 2006 at 11:22 AM »
Shuttle XPC SB77G5
P4 2.8 GHz
512 MB RAM
80 GB Seagate Sata
LG Combo drive

I just upgraded my processor to a 3.2GHz P4 and installed a TwinHan DVB-S card, and the XPC is not very happy about this, the cooling fan is always at maximum RPM and it is very noisy.

So I would need to get a new motherboard and use a spare Lian Li case that I have (tower case).

I can retain my old P4 3.2 or get an Athlon64 processor, in either case, I would need to get a new motherboard with SLI. Which one should be better the Intel or the AMD for Zoom Player, ffdshow and avisynth?

Thanks.

Online Gubs

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #948 on: Jun 07, 2006 at 11:23 AM »
Ok na pala. refresh rate overide to 30 reduced flicker ty.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #949 on: Jun 07, 2006 at 02:27 PM »
I just upgraded my processor to a 3.2GHz P4 and installed a TwinHan DVB-S card, and the XPC is not very happy about this, the cooling fan is always at maximum RPM and it is very noisy.

So I would need to get a new motherboard and use a spare Lian Li case that I have (tower case).

I can retain my old P4 3.2 or get an Athlon64 processor, in either case, I would need to get a new motherboard with SLI. Which one should be better the Intel or the AMD for Zoom Player, ffdshow and avisynth?

Thanks.

Ive had numerous successes with Athlon64s with both heat and silence.  and Athlon64 3200 venice core is a good starting point, I use AMDs cool and quiet also.

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #950 on: Jun 07, 2006 at 02:33 PM »
Ive had numerous successes with Athlon64s with both heat and silence.  and Athlon64 3200 venice core is a good starting point, I use AMDs cool and quiet also.

How about running Zoom Player with ffdshow, avisynth and other filters, including resizing and noise reduction?

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #951 on: Jun 09, 2006 at 08:44 AM »

I just put my Shuttle for sale on the Member's Exchange section (http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=53224.msg587769#msg587769), I will be going ahead and gettign the MSI mobo with SLI and a new Radeon 6600GT graphics card in SLI config. I will be retaining my P4.

Based on other forum, the Athlon 64 is quite hard to configure using zoom player, ffdshow and avisynth, they have more success on P4, beside, I was able to configure zoom player, ffdshow and avisynth including trimension on my shuttle, I should be able to do it again on my new setup.

Thanks!

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #952 on: Jun 09, 2006 at 12:53 PM »
I just put my Shuttle for sale on the Member's Exchange section (http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=53224.msg587769#msg587769), I will be going ahead and gettign the MSI mobo with SLI and a new Radeon 6600GT graphics card in SLI config. I will be retaining my P4.

Based on other forum, the Athlon 64 is quite hard to configure using zoom player, ffdshow and avisynth, they have more success on P4, beside, I was able to configure zoom player, ffdshow and avisynth including trimension on my shuttle, I should be able to do it again on my new setup.

Thanks!

Hi Alexg,

you might be able to sell faster and to a targeted audience sa tipidpc.com, thats where I sell my computer related stuff.  Just a tip! :)

Jay

Offline voj

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #953 on: Jun 14, 2006 at 09:24 AM »
Hello HTPC gurus,

I'm down to the last two component in my acquisition phase to build my HTPC.

- Athlon 64 3200+
- motherboard ?

or

- Intel D 903 dual core
- Intel D945GNTL motherboard

The boards would probably cost the same but the intel dual core is P4500 more expensive than the Athlon.

Can you please give me some advice.

Athlon 64 is highly recommended by jpadua but the dual core is the next thing in PC, should I make the jump or is the performance just about the same. I've gone overboard over some of the my purchases so the price difference, at this point, is a non-issue.

Thanks in advance.

voj

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #954 on: Jun 14, 2006 at 10:23 AM »
I have built a couple of HTPC's in three weeks, the first attempt was a 2.8 P4 no HyperThreading on a Shuttle XPC case, with PowerColor 9550 and 512MB RAM. Running zoom player, ffdshow with avisynth filters produced a lot of stuttering so I have to reduce the settings. So this config is not quite good.

After two weeks, I bought an MSI P4N SLI-FI with a 3.2GHz P4 with HT, 1GB dual channel DDR2 RAM, Nvidea 6600 GT (for now only single card, but soon would be on SLI), 550 watt Enermax PSU on a spare Lian Li case I have lying around. Performance is great but the NOISE is very annoying (P4's and the Nvidea 6600GT generates so much heat I need to use a total of 6 fans on the case including the PSU fan!)

I have a 64bit AMD Athlon at work and it runs very, very cold compared to my P4.

If have to build another PC for HTPC, I would surely go for an AMD X2 (which would be my project soon!) Of course, an X2 is prohibitively expensive. I think the Athlon 64 3200+ should do the job. If you will be  using zoom player, ffdshow and avisynth, just keep your filters, denoising, sharpening and resizing moderate.

Offline Meridian-Audio

• Collector
  • www.grupotoyota.com.ph
  • Liked:
« Reply #955 on: Jun 14, 2006 at 11:54 AM »
Im into upgrade nrin ng HTPC. I have purchased VENICE A64 3000+.
Im planning to use MSI K8N4 n diamond series board okey ba combination?
Or any board recommendation?
Thanks

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #956 on: Jun 14, 2006 at 01:27 PM »
Thanks

I always liked the MSI boards, experienced less problems with them than with the other brands. I always specify MSI for our company's purchases too!

You cannot go wrong with your combination.

Offline voj

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #957 on: Jun 14, 2006 at 01:53 PM »
Thanks

magkano yung ganitong msi board?

what about those asus boards that can handle 64 /64fx 64x2, parang maganda yung possiblity of stretching the life of the board starting from a single core then upgrading later to dual core? prohibitive ba cost?

Offline Meridian-Audio

• Collector
  • www.grupotoyota.com.ph
  • Liked:
« Reply #958 on: Jun 14, 2006 at 10:03 PM »
@alexg,
Thank you very much for the reply.. Actually subok ko na MSI board sa PC kaya lang di ko lang alam performance nya sa athlon lalo na sa A64. One of my PC using MSi board & its been 3 years na wala parin problema working great parin till now..

@rentacolor,
The board price is around 12k sa philippine market. I am considering DFI lanparty nga kaya lang inde ko alam kung meron distro dito baka problem ko kung magpawarranty ako ;-( . Asus is okey pero I think yung mga Intel chipset nila ang highly rated palagi. Medyo naguguluhan pa nga ako. tsk. tsk. tsk. Hirap talaga upgrade itch... hehehe.
Masakit sa ulo at bulsa.. hehehe

Try ko muna hanap ng medyo okey na review na board. hay!!! naku..

Offline voj

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #959 on: Jun 15, 2006 at 11:46 AM »
it seems that most of you go for the Athlons.

Q.: Asus and DFI (the RS482), if I read the specs correctly can handle both the Athlon 64 or the Athlon 64X2, did I read the specs correctly?  That means I can use the Athlon 64 3200 now (which fits my needs) and later on upgrade to an Athlon 64X2 when the price drops considerably without changing mobo?

Q.: Do you know who sells these boards? If it is tipidpc, please supply username of seller.

Hard disc question:

Q.: Is it advisable to get a separate smaller HD for boot/programs? Or should I just partition the 250GB hD that I have with a small one for programs and the rest for storage.  Should I waste precious real estate on my case for this?  My PC case can handle 4 HDs aside from the usual optical drives.

Thanks.

voj