Author Topic: Netbook as dedicated music player  (Read 4075 times)

Offline KEN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Netbook as dedicated music player
« on: Dec 19, 2011 at 07:15 PM »
anyone tried using netbook as dedicated music player ? i was out of the audio/video circle for almost 5 yrs -went to  pursue another fashion. While cleaning my cd's and gear the other day the idea of converting my CDs into audio file struck me...

Thinking of using an atom based netbook running Itunes and using a usb sound card -bheringer uca202 going to my external  DAC...  my Cd collection is not that much and in future i can add external drive to the net book.  I need only 2 ch, no need for wifi, audio streamming nor LAN.

Although I have an old IBM P4 laying around which i believe can also serve as music player but the size of the casing, kb/mouse and display discourages me from utilizing it.

any advise ? forget olive or peachtree its beyond my budget although very much desirable...he...he...he

tia

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Netbook as dedicated music player
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2011 at 07:24 PM »
anyone tried using netbook as dedicated music player ? i was out of the audio/video circle for almost 5 yrs -went to  pursue another fashion. While cleaning my cd's and gear the other day the idea of converting my CDs into audio file struck me...

Thinking of using an atom based netbook running Itunes and using a usb sound card -bheringer uca202 going to my external  DAC...  my Cd collection is not that much and in future i can add external drive to the net book.  I need only 2 ch, no need for wifi, audio streamming nor LAN.

Although I have an old IBM P4 laying around which i believe can also serve as music player but the size of the casing, kb/mouse and display discourages me from utilizing it.

any advise ? forget olive or peachtree its beyond my budget although very much desirable...he...he...he

tia

This should be very possible sir. You can also try NMT instead of a notebook. Though I think the quality of the sound would greatly depend on your external DAC. I’ve tried the NMT route, convenience wise yes its good but sound quality, I find it lacking. But if your notebook has a competitive soundcard + a decent external DAC ( with a good quality ripped music), think you will be fine.
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2011 at 09:19 PM »
This should be very possible sir. You can also try NMT instead of a notebook. Though I think the quality of the sound would greatly depend on your external DAC. I’ve tried the NMT route, convenience wise yes its good but sound quality, I find it lacking. But if your notebook has a competitive soundcard + a decent external DAC ( with a good quality ripped music), think you will be fine.

hi anchit i love the sound of my extenal DAC although it quite old but it can process/up convert up to 24bit/196khz unfortunately it has only a fiber optic and coax input. In my situation where i want to utilize my old 2 ch setup, it seems netbook is the most economical way of digitizing/playing my CD collection and at the same time make a backup copy of it.  what is NMT ?

Anyone kindly post your ideas or experiences on this... need lots of input before doing it....
tia

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2011 at 12:07 PM »
I am currently doing the same thing.  My current setup is ACER Netbook to a Dayton DAC  to the AMP. The Dayton dacs lacks a bit of bass compared to my HK Player, but  the convenience of having access to all your collection at the click of the mouse is priceless ( enough for me to retire my player and all of those CD) 

Future plans
1. Change the DAC to a better one.
2. Go wireless with Apples Airport Express.

Dont know which will come first. ;D

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2011 at 01:02 PM »
Guys anong magandang windows software music player ang gamitin for FLAC files?
I'm planning to use my laptop too for all audio playback. I will also DAC through USB then to a power amp.

Thanks  :)

Offline qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2011 at 01:05 PM »
Foobar is pretty popular for FLAC playback

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2011 at 01:26 PM »
I am currently doing the same thing.  My current setup is ACER Netbook to a Dayton DAC  to the AMP. The Dayton dacs lacks a bit of bass compared to my HK Player, but  the convenience of having access to all your collection at the click of the mouse is priceless ( enough for me to retire my player and all of those CD) 

hi gguy,

I'm already happy with my audio setup with my external DAC but i'm sure most of us has a lot of CD collection the we purchased just because we like one ot two tracks of the album, with the computer based audio player making playlist from all of you collection would be just a mouse click away... and its priceless as you said. My only concern now is that my extenal DAC  has only fiber optic and coax connection, I've checked the Bheringer UCA202 from the net but i'm not sure if its fiber optic output bypass its internal DAC.
any info on this  ? 
tia

tia

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2011 at 01:40 PM »
Guys anong magandang windows software music player ang gamitin for FLAC files?
I'm planning to use my laptop too for all audio playback. I will also DAC through USB then to a power amp.

hi im also newbie on this and tried only Itunes and it seems ok with my needs and its free but i'm not sure if it can play FLAC or convert it into its own lossless format. What are you planning to use to connect your laptop to the external DAC ? because im also on the same situation and needs a lot of info before i purchase the netbook.

tia

Offline qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2011 at 05:06 AM »
Why would you want to bypass the internal on the UCA202 ?

hi gguy,

I'm already happy with my audio setup with my external DAC but i'm sure most of us has a lot of CD collection the we purchased just because we like one ot two tracks of the album, with the computer based audio player making playlist from all of you collection would be just a mouse click away... and its priceless as you said. My only concern now is that my extenal DAC  has only fiber optic and coax connection, I've checked the Bheringer UCA202 from the net but i'm not sure if its fiber optic output bypass its internal DAC.
any info on this  ? 
tia

tia

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2011 at 01:47 PM »
Why would you want to bypass the internal on the UCA202 ?

gguy, i want to utilize my  MF XDACv3/X10v3/XPSUv3, its old but I love the sound of this combo., but I check the net it seems UCA202 cannot pass 24bit/192khz, i saw a lot of review regarding M2Tech but  it has only coax output. Im tryig to check musiland monitor 02 which has toslink and coax output.  The external DAC i'm using has only 1 coax and 1 Toslink input and i'm already using the coax  for my CD player which  only has coax output. For now I still like to keep my cd player hence looking for a USB-SPDIF/toslink
converter.

tia

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2011 at 02:07 PM »
hi im also newbie on this and tried only Itunes and it seems ok with my needs and its free but i'm not sure if it can play FLAC or convert it into its own lossless format. What are you planning to use to connect your laptop to the external DAC ? because im also on the same situation and needs a lot of info before i purchase the netbook.

tia

Yup iTunes is not capable of playing FLAC files. Need to convert pa to ALAC...
Planning to connect my laptop to external DAC through USB  ;)

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2011 at 02:25 PM »
Yup iTunes is not capable of playing FLAC files. Need to convert pa to ALAC...
Planning to connect my laptop to external DAC through USB  ;)

shifting to digital audio idol? maraming magandang usb dac na 24/96khz capable.
CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2011 at 02:53 PM »

Ano bang masasuggest mo master Pat?  :)

Gamit ko kasi ngayon is NMT(FLAC)-HDMI--->AVR--->Power Amp

Hirap kasi sa NMT kailangan nakabukas ang TV para sa monitor mo. Sayang sa kuryente  ;D

Offline lncc63

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2011 at 03:07 PM »
My office setup has been mostly driven from my netbook through a Super Pro DAC.  However since I also use the netbook for other things there isn't much space, I tried using a XTreamer PRO.  The difference in SQ was clear - the netbook+DAC (playing FLAC files by the way) is much better than the NMT. 

The problem is it can be hassle to have to go to the netbook after a selection finishes. 
RX-V3800
RTi A9+CSi A6+A4+FXi A6+2*DSW660
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2011 at 07:31 PM »
how does the behringer compare to the MF Vdac V3 ?.  i ordered the UCA202 since its cheap enough to experiment. where did you get the vDAC V3 ? price na rin if you dont mind. thanks

gguy, i want to utilize my  MF XDACv3/X10v3/XPSUv3, its old but I love the sound of this combo., but I check the net it seems UCA202 cannot pass 24bit/192khz, i saw a lot of review regarding M2Tech but  it has only coax output. Im tryig to check musiland monitor 02 which has toslink and coax output.  The external DAC i'm using has only 1 coax and 1 Toslink input and i'm already using the coax  for my CD player which  only has coax output. For now I still like to keep my cd player hence looking for a USB-SPDIF/toslink
converter.

tia

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2011 at 09:11 PM »
how does the behringer compare to the MF Vdac V3 ?.  i ordered the UCA202 since its cheap enough to experiment. where did you get the vDAC V3 ? price na rin if you dont mind. thanks

I got it almost 4yrs ago na (KSA based ako) and i believed MF already stop the production of this series, if i'm not mistaken they now have the  V series. I didn't yet order the UCA202 still cheking review's & info. but the more i checked the more i got  confuse on  how to proceed.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2011 at 03:02 AM »

Yup!  ;)

Gamit ko kasi ngayon is NMT(FLAC)-HDMI--->AVR--->Power Amp

Hirap kasi sa NMT kailangan nakabukas ang TV para sa monitor mo. Sayang sa kuryente  ;D

I've auditioned the musiland and price is so reasonable w/o compromise in SQ. I'm getting one also.

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2011 at 12:59 PM »
Yup!  ;)

I've auditioned the musiland and price is so reasonable w/o compromise in SQ. I'm getting one also.

San ba available ang musiland DAC sir Nelson?
What model are you getting sir?

Offline jlester87

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2011 at 01:08 PM »
hmm yung cheap dac ko naman na encore enma mas maganda yung tunog pag sa core i5 laptop/pc siya nakakabit... tried 2 netbooks already, parang ayaw niya sa mabagal na processor  :) ganyan din ba sa ibang dacs?
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2011 at 01:09 PM by jlester87 »

Offline niceNslow

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2011 at 01:28 PM »
gagamitin ko yung 2008 aluminum macbook as a source, ano magandang bang for the buck na dac + speakers? balak ko sana yung fiio + superlux na hd661 na headphone? sa speaker ba kaya ng fiio ang bookshelf speakers?

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2011 at 01:39 PM »

musiland seems to be a good option.

i would like to try one too after i get a decent headphone siguro.
CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2011 at 08:12 PM »
San ba available ang musiland DAC sir Nelson?
What model are you getting sir?

May parating si Paul aka Billabong. Hopefully sa January dumating. Either the 01 or 02 model. Very neutral siya when paired with transparent gears.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 608
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2011 at 02:34 AM »

I wouldn't say without compromise, pero it's excellent for the price. I can still think of many better solutions, but they just cost far more. The measured performance is better than what most systems can deliver, kaya supposedly imperceptible ang contributed noise or distortion niya in most cases. Depende na lang sa buyer if the sound character works for him/her or his/her system.

One thing that really works in favor of Musiland is that it uses the Bulk Transfer mode, which guarantees data delivery. Any other USB DAC or interface that I know of utilizes Isochronous Transfers, which makes them more prone to skipping a beat when you're doing something else in the computer (or using other USB devices). If setup properly, the only time the Musiland units should fail in delivering continuous output is when you're saturating the USB bandwidth (like if you're copying gigs of data to/from an external USB drive). Despite this, a work-around is possible, in the form of connecting it to another root hub (most computers have at least two).
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2011 at 06:35 AM by Stagea »

Offline qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2011 at 08:22 PM »
Any difference if you run the netbook on batteries only ?

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 608
« Reply #24 on: Dec 27, 2011 at 09:47 PM »
Any difference if you run the netbook on batteries only ?

Some notebooks + interfaces exhibit greater jitter when running from AC, but better implementations generally should not get much of an impact.
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2011 at 09:48 PM by Stagea »