Author Topic: Speaker Comparisons  (Read 204680 times)

Offline D0Hbert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Speaker Comparisons
« Reply #180 on: Feb 01, 2006 at 11:22 AM »
Pag 2 way yung speaker, the woofer may be forced to produce frequencies above its optimum range in the higher frequencies, ang kadalasan ang midrange or woofer because of the voice coil, produces a rising impedance in the higher frequencies, so pag di pinutol before that frequency range, sumisigaw na yung mid/woofer. Pag tweeter, dapat ang comfort range nyan is bago mag peak ang impedance which is usually in the range of 1.5khz or 2khz, so pag pinutol mo sya way lower than that, distortion ang lalabas sa tweeter, basag ang tunog ng tweeter and over emphasized. Hope my explanation is clear.  :D

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #181 on: Feb 01, 2006 at 11:33 AM »
Ibig kong sabihin, assuming si tweeter na lang ang tumutunog, me epekto ba yung pagka-metal nya o fabric? Isip ko kc, when cymbals crash, mas mahinahon ang tunog pag fabric.

Btw, thanks for those informative posts.

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #182 on: Feb 01, 2006 at 11:50 AM »
in my experience usually metallic tweeters reproduce cymbals clearer.

Offline D0Hbert

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #183 on: Feb 01, 2006 at 12:00 PM »
Metallic/aluminum tweeters sound emm more metallic than soft domes.  :P and pag dating sa detail, mas litaw sa metal dome. If you want more mellow highs, not as glaring and detailed, go for softdomes. Metal domes mas maganda tumunog pag cymbals, or yung bakal na ewan sa drumset, pero pag dating sa guitar, mas maganda ang soft dome, mas warm tumunog, parang nylon cords ang pina-pluck, pag metal domes ang gumitara, parang metal strings and pagka pluck. Opinion and dinig ko lang po.  ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2006 at 12:04 PM by D0Hbert »

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #184 on: Feb 01, 2006 at 12:13 PM »
Thanks, john and DOHbert. (parang John Doe hehehe)

Pareho tayo ng findings. Kaya ko nasabi na mas "bright" pag metal tweets gamit.

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #185 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 12:50 AM »
makiki-sawsaw lang po :)......please forgive these seemingly stupid questions that i would like to be clarified of coz am just a newbie in audio :-[......don't be fooled by the number of posts printed across my handle, 97% of them were posted on the DVD (video) related threads of this website ;D

i kept on reading these descriptions on speakers and even on receivers, in almost all the audio related threads herein, to wit: "bright", "bright side", "warm", "warm side", at meron pa ngang "dark side" akala mo star wars ;D ;D ;D  the usage of these descriptions here is so rampant that a 'STIGMA' has already been attached to some speakers &/or receivers as being "bright" or "warm".  some members (even those who are as greenhorn as i am in audio) would simply & conveniently categorize or generalize certain brands as "naku, bright yang speakers na yan" or "naku, pangit ang combo na yan, parehong bright ang speakers at receiver na yan" & "dapat warm ang speakers para di masakit sa tenga", or other words or phrases of similar import.  basic examples of these generalization are: yamaha receivers as "bright", B&W speakers also as "bright", HK receivers as "warm", etc.

on the other hand, i seldom encounter these descriptions and generalizations whenever i visit some international websites/forums on audio/video most especially w/ regards to receivers.  they use some other adjectives that are very specific & particular about the tonal characteristics of a certain speaker or receiver model, not merely as "bright" or "warm".  AND they don't generalize their descriptions on the whole line of models of a particular brand of speaker or receiver.

so, am just wondering on the following, and these are now my questions:

a)  is there a scientific instrument or barometer used in measuring whether a particular speaker or receiver is on the "bright side" or "warm side" as these words are understood here in pinoydvd?  if there is, what is this instrument?

b)  in the absence of such scientific instrument, is there a scientific method or research that can be conducted by which a particular speaker or receiver can be fairly tested & described as being "bright" or "warm", again as these words are understood here in pinoydvd?  if there is, is it generally accepted by the audiophile community and other audio/video organizations as being a fool-proof methodology?

c)  in the absence of these two, is there a published audio (or audio/video) journal, book, or magazine that contain & cronicles the opinions, observations and conclusions of world-renowned audiophiles, sound/accoustic engineers & other audio/video experts, categorizing certain speakers/receivers or their particular models as being on the "bright side" or "warm side", again as these words are understood here in pinoydvd?

in the absence of any of the three (3) above, curious lang po ako as to how the rampant descriptions & generalizations of certain brands of speakers & receivers, either fairly or unfairly, have evolved here in pinoydvd ::)......i think there has to be some basis for this phenomenon :o.......di kaya dahil nagkataon lang na halos karamihan ng magagaling at may ginintuang mga tenga sa odyo dito sa pinoydvd ay pare-parehas ang panlasa or preference pagdating sa kung ano ang nasa "bright side" or "warm side".

is this just a consensus here at pinoydvd or there's some solid basis for these generalizations ::)...... nagtatanong lang po at hindi nakikipag-debate ;D ;D ;D, thanks a lot in advance 8)

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #186 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 01:24 AM »
ahhh...generalization and sweeping remarks...things one must avoid in this hobby of audio:)

the best thing to do is audition, have an open mind....audio is very subjective. One man's disdain is another man's bliss.

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #187 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 05:49 AM »
Yes there is a tool, your ears... hehehe ....seriously read one of the reviews in Stereophile,  One reviewer would  say something like "These speakers are warm" and would follow with "but lets wait for Johns measurements to confirm this".  the reviewer uses his ears to "measure" the response of the component whereas John (John Atkinson- editor) uses some form of tools to measure the response of the component

makiki-sawsaw lang po :)......please forgive these seemingly stupid questions that i would like to be clarified of coz am just a newbie in audio :-[......don't be fooled by the number of posts printed across my handle, 97% of them were posted on the DVD (video) related threads of this website ;D

i kept on reading these descriptions on speakers and even on receivers, in almost all the audio related threads herein, to wit: "bright", "bright side", "warm", "warm side", at meron pa ngang "dark side" akala mo star wars ;D ;D ;D  the usage of these descriptions here is so rampant that a 'STIGMA' has already been attached to some speakers &/or receivers as being "bright" or "warm".  some members (even those who are as greenhorn as i am in audio) would simply & conveniently categorize or generalize certain brands as "naku, bright yang speakers na yan" or "naku, pangit ang combo na yan, parehong bright ang speakers at receiver na yan" & "dapat warm ang speakers para di masakit sa tenga", or other words or phrases of similar import.  basic examples of these generalization are: yamaha receivers as "bright", B&W speakers also as "bright", HK receivers as "warm", etc.

on the other hand, i seldom encounter these descriptions and generalizations whenever i visit some international websites/forums on audio/video most especially w/ regards to receivers.  they use some other adjectives that are very specific & particular about the tonal characteristics of a certain speaker or receiver model, not merely as "bright" or "warm".  AND they don't generalize their descriptions on the whole line of models of a particular brand of speaker or receiver.

so, am just wondering on the following, and these are now my questions:

a)  is there a scientific instrument or barometer used in measuring whether a particular speaker or receiver is on the "bright side" or "warm side" as these words are understood here in pinoydvd?  if there is, what is this instrument?

b)  in the absence of such scientific instrument, is there a scientific method or research that can be conducted by which a particular speaker or receiver can be fairly tested & described as being "bright" or "warm", again as these words are understood here in pinoydvd?  if there is, is it generally accepted by the audiophile community and other audio/video organizations as being a fool-proof methodology?

c)  in the absence of these two, is there a published audio (or audio/video) journal, book, or magazine that contain & cronicles the opinions, observations and conclusions of world-renowned audiophiles, sound/accoustic engineers & other audio/video experts, categorizing certain speakers/receivers or their particular models as being on the "bright side" or "warm side", again as these words are understood here in pinoydvd?

in the absence of any of the three (3) above, curious lang po ako as to how the rampant descriptions & generalizations of certain brands of speakers & receivers, either fairly or unfairly, have evolved here in pinoydvd ::)......i think there has to be some basis for this phenomenon :o.......di kaya dahil nagkataon lang na halos karamihan ng magagaling at may ginintuang mga tenga sa odyo dito sa pinoydvd ay pare-parehas ang panlasa or preference pagdating sa kung ano ang nasa "bright side" or "warm side".

is this just a consensus here at pinoydvd or there's some solid basis for these generalizations ::)...... nagtatanong lang po at hindi nakikipag-debate ;D ;D ;D, thanks a lot in advance 8)

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #188 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 06:42 AM »
ahhh...generalization and sweeping remarks...things one must avoid in this hobby of audio:)

the best thing to do is audition, have an open mind....audio is very subjective. One man's disdain is another man's bliss.

this is exactly my honest belief sir john5479, thanks 8)

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #189 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 06:48 AM »
Yes there is a tool, your ears... hehehe ....seriously read one of the reviews in Stereophile,  One reviewer would  say something like "These speakers are warm" and would follow with "but lets wait for Johns measurements to confirm this".  the reviewer uses his ears to "measure" the response of the component whereas John (John Atkinson- editor) uses some form of tools to measure the response of the component

ano po kayang 'tool' ang ginagamit ni Mr. John Atkinson "to measure the response of the component" as you put it, sana hindi lang ang tenga nya, hehehe ;D ;D ;D

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #190 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 08:12 AM »
BULLSEYE! Na DaLi mo pre! Musta na!?..... :) ;D

Senor!  ;D busy and still hoping to be with the group again  ;)

to comment on the post of Classicman, either of the two terms (warm or bright) or other terms maybe to describe what you hear when listening are not at all connected to being good or bad. You say and consider it good or bad when you hear it and also actually feel it. If it annoys your ears then its bad, if it triggers some good feelings then its good. So whats the heck? its all in one's ears i supposed.

Many members here shuns out equipments which they believe give bright output. Thats a choice really, because if they dont like it, my ears does. In our own world of listening i tell you both of us are happy with it. If they can reach that level of nirvana in their own world, of course i can achieve that too in my own world.

Try to list all known gears here, be it amps, speakers, ICs, wires, etc., and draw the line between the warm sounding and bright sounding. I did this once -- and after that i realized, that though we can all go to that level of satisfaction, mine is cheaper than theirs ;D

« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2006 at 08:14 AM by jerix »
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #191 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 08:35 AM »
Metallic/aluminum tweeters sound emm more metallic than soft domes. :P and pag dating sa detail, mas litaw sa metal dome. If you want more mellow highs, not as glaring and detailed, go for softdomes. Metal domes mas maganda tumunog pag cymbals, or yung bakal na ewan sa drumset, pero pag dating sa guitar, mas maganda ang soft dome, mas warm tumunog, parang nylon cords ang pina-pluck, pag metal domes ang gumitara, parang metal strings and pagka pluck. Opinion and dinig ko lang po. ;)
I find soft dome tweeter produced more realistic mids than metal. A speaker with softdome tweeter & a ribbon tweeter might be an advantage. (IMHO)
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 09:11 AM »
I check the FR curve (if available) and see whether it coincides w/ what my ears tell me.

Generalizations are just conclusions based on samples. Not absolute truths.
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2006 at 09:14 AM by bumblebee »

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #193 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 11:47 AM »
in my experience usually metallic tweeters reproduce cymbals clearer.

John,

Sama mo horn tweeter.. ;D

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #194 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 12:34 PM »
two words: AUDITION MO!!!!! :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #195 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 01:41 PM »
makiki-sawsaw lang po :)......please forgive these seemingly stupid questions that i would like to be clarified of coz am just a newbie in audio :-[......don't be fooled by the

ako rin ... pasawsaw!!!  ;D  ;D

he he he. kung bago ka rin sa pinoydvd forum - ingat ka talaga - dami mahilig mag-generalize! nakakita ng specs, may conclusion na rin sa performance.

On the tweeter side, I have some materials which I wanted to hear in horn tweeter, some on soft domes, and some on metal domes. As it has been known on some forum, no single speaker is do-it-all sa lahat ng music genre. Know what you want to listen to,and get it. Comparison is good in this regard, if people who compares lay the perimeters of comparison: the amp used, the software listen to, the speakers, otherwise I just don't know to whom it can be useful.

I think there is no such thing as standard that can dictate how an art should be appreciated - the art of listening. For technology measurement, yes - but how warm is warm or how bright is bright is too affected by so many factors affecting the reproduction of music in one's home.

But I will make a bet with Kimpao  ;) - mine is cheaper!  ;D (hi sir, peace) - and am not in Nirvana ... am in heaven  ;D  ;D

Audition is the only key to determine sonic performance as far as your ears are concerned. And no tools can measure how good a sonic performance is - though it can give you tech data. have you heard of a tool that measure soundstage, imaging, depth, heights, etc (ano nga ba itong mga ito?  ;D  ;D  ;D)

Pero let's accept the facts:
Life in this world is not fair!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D...
some have 'golden ears' (ano yun???)  ;D
some have cheap gears to enjoy (congrats kimps)
some have cheaper gears to enjoy the more (congrats me  ::))
some have expensive gears and yet not happy  :P.

Those that generalize ... you now knew ... just don't know what they are talking about!  :P  :P

O sya, i-audition na yung mga FS sa buy&sell section!!!
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #196 on: Feb 03, 2006 at 09:41 PM »
the posted questions above were meant to drive a point more than to solicit advices on what kind of gears to acquire since my HT set-up is quiet complete already kahit panay on the "bright side" lang, if we are to follow the generalization being practiced here, hehehe ;D ;D ;D

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #197 on: Feb 04, 2006 at 05:38 AM »
eh ano kung- bright brighter brightest, warm warmer warmest, dark, darker darkest....
nakakaantok, mas nakakaantok, pinaka-nakakaantok ;D

kung saan ka maligaya doon ka... @ the end of the day, IKAW ang makikinig at manonood sa HT/ audio setup mo ;D

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #198 on: Feb 07, 2006 at 09:31 AM »
ako rin ... pasawsaw!!!  ;D  ;D

he he he. kung bago ka rin sa pinoydvd forum - ingat ka talaga - dami mahilig mag-generalize! nakakita ng specs, may conclusion na rin sa performance.

On the tweeter side, I have some materials which I wanted to hear in horn tweeter, some on soft domes, and some on metal domes. As it has been known on some forum, no single speaker is do-it-all sa lahat ng music genre. Know what you want to listen to,and get it. Comparison is good in this regard, if people who compares lay the perimeters of comparison: the amp used, the software listen to, the speakers, otherwise I just don't know to whom it can be useful.

I think there is no such thing as standard that can dictate how an art should be appreciated - the art of listening. For technology measurement, yes - but how warm is warm or how bright is bright is too affected by so many factors affecting the reproduction of music in one's home.

But I will make a bet with Kimpao  ;) - mine is cheaper!  ;D (hi sir, peace) - and am not in Nirvana ... am in heaven  ;D  ;D

Audition is the only key to determine sonic performance as far as your ears are concerned. And no tools can measure how good a sonic performance is - though it can give you tech data. have you heard of a tool that measure soundstage, imaging, depth, heights, etc (ano nga ba itong mga ito?  ;D  ;D  ;D)

Those that generalize ... you now knew ... just don't know what they are talking about!  :P  :P

Ah!!! Errrrr.... ::) aHobbit, you "LOST me with hello".  ;D  Duhhhhhh?????......................... 

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #199 on: Feb 07, 2006 at 10:10 AM »

Uy! panay second hand ang gamit ko ah! Finally, I was able to get hold of a surplus cdp from the supermarket for less than 1.7k.  ;D , except for the TT and cart.  ;D ;D

I definitely agree with you on this. So called tools for measurement? Errrrrrr......CRAP! Best to rely on your ears not on those so called tools (meron nga bang tool na nagme-measure ng soundstage, image, depth?........... Ang alam ko tenga mismo ng nakikinig yun eh.)  ;D ;D ;D

Kelan ba naging fair?.....  ;D ;D ;D

Umaapaw sa tenga an l*ga kaya nagkukulay "gold" ang kanyang "ears".    ;D ;D

ah basta!  >:( pareho mura gamit natin.  ;D ;D ;D   But seriously and speaking of speakers, got mine for a bargain even though the brand is somewhat bordering on mid to highend speakers.  ;D ;D

Mga na hoyo, naloko o na-ahente ang tawag diyan.  ;D ;D ;D

Scholar ata sir nun bata-bata pa.  ;D ;D

sir mukhang may binebenta ka sa Buy and Sell section.  Shameless plug yan.................. Ahehehehehehe  ;D ;D

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #200 on: Feb 07, 2006 at 01:17 PM »
kim, na-compare ko yung Dali Concept 6 vs. the Monitor Audio RS1...talagang maganda yung - PAREHO!
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #201 on: Feb 07, 2006 at 02:04 PM »
kim, na-compare ko yung Dali Concept 6 vs. the Monitor Audio RS1...talagang maganda yung - PAREHO!

di pa, rinig ko na both but on different occassions plus different room conditions.  hirap i-judge.

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #202 on: Feb 07, 2006 at 03:08 PM »
Life in this world is not fair!!!      ...
some have 'golden ears' (ano yun???) 
some have cheaper gears to enjoy the more (congrats me  )
some have expensive gears and yet not happy  .

LOLZ!!! ;D ;D ;D
nag assemble ako ng athlon64 3500+ and it costs me 95thousand and still i am not happy. ???
yet, nakamana ako sa bayaw ko ng AIWA mini compo, pero hanep sa ganda ng performance! you can close your eyes and feel as if the singer is besides you, malambing, parang tubo ang tunog. ;D
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #203 on: Feb 07, 2006 at 03:21 PM »
di pa, rinig ko na both but on different occassions plus different room conditions. hirap i-judge.

ako, same room condition, same gears...tama ka, mahirap i-judge...

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #204 on: Feb 07, 2006 at 06:02 PM »
LOLZ!!! ;D ;D ;D
nag assemble ako ng athlon64 3500+ and it costs me 95thousand and still i am not happy. ???
yet, nakamana ako sa bayaw ko ng AIWA mini compo, pero hanep sa ganda ng performance! you can close your eyes and feel as if the singer is besides you, malambing, parang tubo ang tunog. ;D

Sir 2ny, bakit mo ibinubunyag ito . . . pinakaiingatang sikreto ko ito!  ;D

Nag-aabang ako ng Teac L70 2nd hand, pati na sharp ***** atbp, pag nabalitaan ng iba, tiyak tataas na naman ang presyo ng mga ito (like what is happening in pier)  >:(

If no buyer knows, and the seller dont know what he is selling, the more you can haggle the price ... as in almost libre na!  ;D  ;D  ;D ..... and you will be in cheap paradise (ayoko na ng nirvana at heaven - iba naman  ;D )

Congrats to your AIWA mini compo!!!  ;) Ano speaker kabit mo?
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2006 at 06:03 PM by aHobbit »
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #205 on: Feb 07, 2006 at 08:18 PM »
OT: pangit yang teac L700 hehehe ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2006 at 08:21 PM by john5479 »

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #206 on: Feb 08, 2006 at 07:54 AM »
Congrats to your AIWA mini compo!!!   Ano speaker kabit mo?

yung speaker na kasama nya ;D take note, ang speaker cable yung original na gage22.
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #207 on: Feb 08, 2006 at 08:56 AM »
Ganda naman talaga Aiwa. Gamit ko nga Aiwa NSX-320 speakers. Speaker cable ko nga DIY lang (from Home cable galing iyung RG-59 coax - libre).
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2006 at 09:01 AM by rascal101 »

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #208 on: Feb 08, 2006 at 09:03 AM »
sir 2ny, hindi ka pa nagsasawa sa aiwa mo?  ..or rephrase-- di ba nakakasawa ang aiwa?  ;D ::)
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2006 at 09:06 AM by oweidah »

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: Feb 08, 2006 at 03:18 PM »
sir 2ny, hindi ka pa nagsasawa sa aiwa mo?  ..or rephrase-- di ba nakakasawa ang aiwa?  ;D ::)

di naman, mas matagal kasi ako sa harap ng pc, i get to listen to it because of my teenage son ;D