Author Topic: New to NMTs - any recommendations?  (Read 1856 times)

Offline JayRob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New to NMTs - any recommendations?
« on: Apr 08, 2013 at 12:56 AM »
Hello all. I hope all is well with evrybody. I thought of starting a new topic regarding nmt suggestions as existing ones already have long threads that go back  few years ago.
I just bought a new 42" led tv and i'd like to compliment it with a media player to play movie content of external hd/usb.
What would you get - measy, xtreamer elvira, acryan, mede8er, wd? I don't like popcorn hour as it is expensive.
You can remove 3D from the equation as I'm not into that - makes me dizzy.hehe

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
Re: New to NMTs - any recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2013 at 11:22 AM »
Hello all. I hope all is well with evrybody. I thought of starting a new topic regarding nmt suggestions as existing ones already have long threads that go back  few years ago.
I just bought a new 42" led tv and i'd like to compliment it with a media player to play movie content of external hd/usb.
What would you get - measy, xtreamer elvira, acryan, mede8er, wd? I don't like popcorn hour as it is expensive.
You can remove 3D from the equation as I'm not into that - makes me dizzy.hehe

if you are happy with the USB interface of your TV as playback, try it first. when you see the gap, you will opt for an NMT.

if 2D ka, and you have an iPhone/Ipad/Itouch - look for airplay feature.
if you are into games from google play, ask your supplier of NMT if you can download programs directly from Google Play without any need to ask the manufacturer for an equivalent app(*.apk file).
if you are into playback, check mo HiMedia Q5,

But dont discount the 3D players since the quality of its 2D picture quality has improved, plus support for audio types (if you plan to have a receiver  + seperates).

gusto mo 3x the price, or PCH, then go for HTPC, keep in mind its 1 year warranty, and with the manufacturer builds,that die after 18 month, cost  favors you to go NMT route, not to mention the complexity isnt for everyone.
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2013 at 08:16 AM by toys4geeks »
toy

Offline ana.pereira2011

• Collector
  • "He who does not economize will have to agonize"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2013 at 08:02 AM »
htpc is better in the long run
To earn what you can; spend what you must; give what you should, and save the rest—this is thrift.”

Offline JayRob

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2013 at 06:49 PM »
Arntcha on the other thread  ranting about how better htpc is as opposed to nmt? Whatever you say, I don't care about htpc, I have a laptop, tablet, desktop, a nice component for audio, a good led tv. I buy for practical purposes and not some high tech gear but features are useless simply because I ain't gon use them. Htpc for simply viewing movies loaded within my portable drive??? Nah, thanks but no thanks. I appreciate you sharing your two cents though ana.

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2013 at 06:52 PM »
What is your budget?

Offline JayRob

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2013 at 10:49 PM »
Thanks for the replies... I've narrowed my choices to xtreamer elvira and ac ryan play on or ac ryan play on mini. Which one plays all if not most movie format? Also, can these nmts play movie/video to tv via hdmi and audio to home theater via rca (red&white). Will that set up work?

Offline ert

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2013 at 09:06 AM »
Thanks for the replies... I've narrowed my choices to xtreamer elvira and ac ryan play on or ac ryan play on mini. Which one plays all if not most movie format? Also, can these nmts play movie/video to tv via hdmi and audio to home theater via rca (red&white). Will that set up work?

you may want to try Popbox v8 by Popcorn Hour which also has RCA cable included :)

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2013 at 01:00 PM »
Don't get an entry level NMT.  You'll understand the meaning of "you get what you pay for".  At first you'll be satisfied with avi, then 720p mkv, then 1080p mkvs, then remux mkvs, then bd isos.  Make sure your NMT will be able to handle the biggest file size possible without stuttering. And another thing, also ask what is the largest capacity hard drive your NMT can read. 
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2013 at 01:02 PM by nerveblocker »

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2013 at 01:24 PM »
1185 to 1186 chipset will be ok...
Love me or hate me.....

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2013 at 11:10 AM »
i would recommend xtreamer sidewinder 3 ... value for money if you're on a budget
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline okirampa

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013 at 09:00 PM »
Mga sir im planning to buy an NMT this weekend. Im torn between Egreat R6Aii and WD TV Live Streaming (2011). ano ba mas ok sa dalawa? Thanks for the help.

Offline xgh0st12x

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • DVD Guru
  • Reboot nang reboot! Punyeta, puro na lang reboot!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013 at 09:27 PM »
1185 to 1186 chipset will be ok...

id go for 1186 chipset. kahit hindi ka fan ng 3D or dont have a 3D capable Tv. Things change. and so do your preferences at times. best be prepared when they do. ;) konti lang naman difference.

Egreat R6S user here. :)
Formerly SonOfKratos

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013 at 12:35 PM »
id go for 1186 chipset. kahit hindi ka fan ng 3D or dont have a 3D capable Tv. Things change. and so do your preferences at times. best be prepared when they do. ;) konti lang naman difference.

Egreat R6S user here. :)

Seems the 1186 is a cooler chip (literally) vs the 1185
toy