Author Topic: Power Efficient Recievers (Class D amp)  (Read 2333 times)

Offline AlvinladeN

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Power Efficient Recievers (Class D amp)
« on: Jul 10, 2013 at 09:30 PM »
how efficient are they? anyone here can post an actual power consumption of a class d based amp/receiver?

my Onkyo 608 consumes 120w at high volume. 70w when on w/ no sound and less than 1w on standby. thinking of upgrading my avr to a class d based receivers if it can help reduce my electricity bill  :)

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
Re: Power Efficient Recievers (Class D amp)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2013 at 09:34 PM »
if your constantly using your AVR for several hours a day, then it may pay off to change to a more efficient AVR,  if not stick to what you have.  Changing an older ref might be a better solution to your electricity bill

how efficient are they? anyone here can post an actual power consumption of a class d based amp/receiver?

my Onkyo 608 consumes 120w at high volume. 70w when on w/ no sound and less than 1w on standby. thinking of upgrading my avr to a class d based receivers if it can help reduce my electricity bill  :)

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2013 at 09:46 PM »
I must agree with qguy on that. ;)

Kung gagastos ka ng ubod ng laki para sa bagong Class-D amp, then it's not worth it. Bigla pa ang cash-out mo hindi tulad pag sa kuryente installment... ;D
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline kemozavi

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.soundsolutionsph.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2013 at 02:52 PM »
Alvin, i had a customer who purchased 3 dayton Dta100as, same problem as yours, what he did was he purchased a Home Theater preamp, connected three dayton dta100s used those as power amps and a bash 300s subwoofer plate amplifier which is also a class d amp,

helped him with the insallation when it was finally running it sounded good, we were able to go fairly loud cause everything under 80hz was going to the bash amp, it was great on music too.

whole setup was running cold all through out couldnt imagine it consuming a lot of electricity too bad i wasnt able to bring my wattmeter, but the whole setup should be running under 20watts bash excluded normal listening levels...

dayton dta100s consume 1.4 watts idle, 4.5 watts maximum power, bash 300s does 7 watts idle under 20watts maximum power.

there are a lot of class d power amps out there like from sure that are buiilt for HT check em out wattage marami narin malalakas

besides electric consumption baka improve din performance ng system

Offline legato

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM »
Wanted to ask for those who use class D amps, can a Dayton DTA-100a (or a Topping TP22) + Bookshelf speakers fill a 25+ sq.meter room?

Was able to audition the Dayton DTA-1 + Wharfedale 9.1 BS and medyo bitin for a 15 sq. meter room so was thinking above.

Offline rochie

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2013 at 11:47 AM »
Wanted to ask for those who use class D amps, can a Dayton DTA-100a (or a Topping TP22) + Bookshelf speakers fill a 25+ sq.meter room?

Was able to audition the Dayton DTA-1 + Wharfedale 9.1 BS and medyo bitin for a 15 sq. meter room so was thinking above.

ano po sensitivity nung bookshelf? and how loud po ang normal listening level nyo? when i was still using dta100+ bookshelf enough na para sa living room and adjascent kitchen dimension of 3.5X10meters(35sqm).

Offline legato

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2013 at 12:39 PM »
ano po sensitivity nung bookshelf? and how loud po ang normal listening level nyo? when i was still using dta100+ bookshelf enough na para sa living room and adjascent kitchen dimension of 3.5X10meters(35sqm).

Thanks for this, exactly what I wanted to know.

Malakas within reason, yun di naman mainis kasama sa bahay. Was thinking the Wharfedale 9.1 dahil yun na ata pinakamura. Looking for cost efficiency as well.

Trying to compare it to an Audioengine A5+ which I also auditioned and sakto lang sana yun.

So my question really is, is the class D + book shelf more or less equivalent to an audioengine A5+?

Offline kemozavi

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.soundsolutionsph.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2013 at 11:14 PM »
Thanks for this, exactly what I wanted to know.

Malakas within reason, yun di naman mainis kasama sa bahay. Was thinking the Wharfedale 9.1 dahil yun na ata pinakamura. Looking for cost efficiency as well.

Trying to compare it to an Audioengine A5+ which I also auditioned and sakto lang sana yun.

So my question really is, is the class D + book shelf more or less equivalent to an audioengine A5+?

Hi legato, sabi nga nila dito, best to audition both then let your ears decide, personally I wouldnt partner the dta1 with a wharfedale 9.1 cause that speaker is really hard to drive, i had better results with like the polk tsi100.

you can always try out the dta1 first if the volume isn't enough you can always have it exchanged for a dayton dta100a or like the dayton apa150

visit the showrooms and try pairing them with different speakers, i'm sure you will find a match that will satisfy both your needs and budget.

Offline F. Dandy

• Collector
  • - diy electronics stuff -
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2013 at 02:39 AM »

Hi, my first post in technical thread,  just new here in the forum.   Its a good question as it is related to the concern of the world,  about caring the mother earth, environmental friendly ---- ECO product or full eco product, energy start,  which posses the idea of low power consumption.

Let me see :

Active high Power both channel driven   :  120W
Active no music input                          :  70W
Standby Mode                                    :  <1W,   say  0.80W

How did you measure the power, using wattmeter?   I assume the power is the WATT, as there are 3 types of power we can have (signle phase household AC power),  the Watt, VA and VARS.   The Watt is the one we pay to Meralco.

Speaking only to my class D amplifier which was carefully design on our finger tips, 

Active high Power "both channel driven" by sinewave at rated load  @ the following power  :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Power Output        Power meter     Efficiency
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     2W(rms) ouput =   10W,           20% effiicient
     4W(rms) ouput =   12.45W,       32.12% effiicient
     10W(rms) ouput =  19.77W,      50.5% effiicient
     50W(rms) ouput =  80W,           62.25% effiicient
     100W(rms) ouput =  134W,        74.6% effiicient

Note:
both channel driven means, both the L and R are simultaneously driven, the given power is in Stereo

Active no music input                          :  7.62  W
Standby Mode                                    :  0.92W --- power down the amplifier

If  I compare that with a class AB amplifier subjected in the same condition as above,  at rated power of 100W(rms) stereo driven by sinewave, the efficiency I can get based on the same power supply is about 52.9%.  The active mode without music is about 9.9 ~ 10.2W.

I used sinewave signal,  using music test is harder for repeatability. I also did not take into account some loses in the power supply, which in reality, there are loses in the psu, but using the same PSU between a class-AB and class-D,  that loses will be same, and I got a result that indicate how efficient is class D.

When I used my class-D amplifier at normal listening level for audiophile music,  I can read the power from my Power meter about 8.49 ~  10.5W (say 11W),  with rock music with lots of Bass with the same volume level, I can read about  15~20W.  It is a different story of power consumption when using music as source, much lesser than using a sinewave signal.,  hope it can help
simply dandy
  wechat : diycenter

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2013 at 03:10 AM »
The efficiency being talked about (and sometimes raved about) in Class D amps is about their ability to amplify signals with the least power loss.

Heat is a by-product of amplification, of which the efficiency is mostly based on. Hence, an amplifier's efficiency characteristic has a direct correlation to how much wasted heat it produces.

Theoretically, Class D amps are 100% efficient, but in real world scenarios this only falls to about 80% to as much as 90%. Compared to most Class AB amps that most conventional receivers have, Class AB amps can go no more than 70% realistically.

Please bear in mind that this efficiency is the ability of the amplifier to sample the input signal, draw power from it's power supply and mimic the input signal and throw all that to the output and to your speakers. In short, Class D amps WILL still draw huge power from the psu no matter how efficient they are. The Law of Conservation Of Energy still applies.

However, Class D amplifiers are still the most efficient class of audio amplifiers and will consume a little less energy for the same output level as compared with any other class of audio amplifiers out there. How much less or how much you save in electricity is still a very varied question to answer but one thing is for sure, it will be less. Although efficiency alone is not enough, there's the question of reliability, serviceability and more, but that's for another topic.

Cheers