Author Topic: Plasma vs LCD ?  (Read 271795 times)

Offline rafmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Plasma vs LCD ?
« Reply #330 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 04:11 PM »
i think upscaling can only be done thru hdmi

Offline Flyboy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • I feel the need...the NEED for SPEED!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #331 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 07:26 PM »
bro pwede ba mag break in using dvd title with 1.85 widescreen resolution or cable viewing ang tamang pag break-in.

Im not so sure bro if cable viewing is better than DVD for break-in because my panny is not connected sa cable, main purpose is for HD & upscaled DVD viewing only. Im only using the break-in DVD & once in a while watch my TV series downloads on cinema picture settings only.

bro nice tip sa pag break in :D, question pala regarding pioneer dv400, does it upscale to 720p/1080i using
component video?

thanks

I agree w/bro Rafmac, I think upscaling can be attained thru HDMI connection only. Anyways, lets ask some experts here to confirm your query. Btw bro, im not an expert on this HD technology so I only based my answers from what I read here in the forum & other HD web sources... ;)

I feel the need....the need for speed...

Offline kingkydoo

• Collector
  • DVD Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #332 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 08:05 PM »
bro pwede ba mag break in using dvd title with 1.85 widescreen resolution or cable viewing ang tamang pag break-in.
bro nice tip sa pag break in :D, question pala regarding pioneer dv400, does it upscale to 720p/1080i using
component video?

thanks

Sir, I have a pioneer DV400, thru HDMI lang yung upscaling.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #333 on: Oct 05, 2007 at 12:05 AM »
I agree w/bro Rafmac, I think upscaling can be attained thru HDMI connection only. Anyways, lets ask some experts here to confirm your query. Btw bro, im not an expert on this HD technology so I only based my answers from what I read here in the forum & other HD web sources... ;)

I'm no expert either, pero share ko lang ang nabasa ko sa web.

Upscaling can be done via component connection.  An example is the old version of Samsung HD 841 DVD player, which was capable of upscaling via component.  The bandwidth capability of a component connection is sufficient to support full high definition video.

The problem is that HDMI and the movie studios did everything possible to ensure that upscaled video signals and hiigh definition video can only be transported on an HDMI connection, and they seem to have succeeded.

HDMI is actually inferior to component as regards impedance control.  According to this article http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/hdmi-cable.html, component cables offer a tighter control over cable impedance than HDMI cables.  Instead of coaxial cables, the HDMI cable standard uses twisted copper pairs.  "The problem with twisted pair is that it is not possible to maintain the same tight control over impedance as instead is possible with coaxial cables. ... (P)oor impedance control leads to signal reflections along a DVI or HDMI cable between source and sink, interfering with the bitstream originating from the source."

Despite this, manufacturers and the movie studios insist on passing upconverted and high definition signals only on HDMI.  Why?  Because the studios want the copy protection (HDCP or High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) that HDMI can provide. They can't have HDCP on component anymore because the component standard was finalized long before the creation of HDCP.  In order to apply HDCP with an assurance of compatibility across various models and brands, what they need is an entirely new standard integrating HDCP ---- and that's HDMI.

The manufacturers have led us to believe that HDMI is better because it's the high tech alternative.  It's high tech all right ---  high tech copy protection.

Other articles:

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/whats-the-matter-with-hdmi
http://news.digitaltrends.com/talkback102.html

« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2007 at 10:18 AM by barrister »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #334 on: Oct 05, 2007 at 10:31 AM »
Plasma or lcd using HDMI, DVI or Component will always UPSCALE or DOWNSCALE to their native resolution.  Whether or not your players upscale or not.  It's actually weird to have an upscaled image out of your DVD players.  If your plasma or lcd does not support the input resolution even if it can recognise and accept it, the upscaled image will just be downscaled to the display's native resolution.  You really don't need an upscaling DVD player if you already have an HDTV.  Unless you are convinced the player's upscaler is superior to what your TV has.
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2007 at 10:44 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #335 on: Oct 05, 2007 at 03:42 PM »
The bandwidth capability of a component connection is sufficient to support full high definition video.

I just want to confirm that I also noticed that my Mediagate HDD player has better 1080i video output via component than my Pioneer HDMI player.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #336 on: Oct 05, 2007 at 10:56 PM »
Why?  Because the studios want the copy protection (HDCP or High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) that HDMI can provide. They can't have HDCP on component anymore because the component standard was finalized long before the creation of HDCP. In order to apply HDCP with an assurance of compatibility across various models and brands, what they need is an entirely new standard integrating HDCP ---- and that's HDMI.

The manufacturers have led us to believe that HDMI is better because it's the high tech alternative.  It's high tech all right ---  high tech copy protection.

Other articles:

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/whats-the-matter-with-hdmi
http://news.digitaltrends.com/talkback102.html

Actually, they can't have HDCP even if component standards were finalized today.  Because HDCP works only in the digital domain.  Component is analog.  And more relevantly, you need digital encryption algorithms to implement DRM. There's no way to do that with analog signals.  That's why they came up with HDCP to enforce DRM on high resolution. And yes, studios will not release high def titles without some acceptable copy protection scheme. 

HDMI is a high bandwidth parallel audio ad video interface and admittedly, the committee approving the HDMI standards were more interested giving it all the bandwidth possible to accommodate every conceivable audio video and data transmission for future needs that they forgot about ensuring quality signals at long distances.  They must have assumed rightly or wrongly that the average home doesn't need cable runs longer than 5 meters.  ;D They could have used the HD-SDI (High def serial digital interface) standard used in professional studios using coax over a hundred meter without degradation in quality but unfortunately the SDI standards are digital video only.  HDMI can transmit many types of digital signals all at once.  Bear in mind it has 19 wires  in one cable run.  ;D  Just too bad, the integrity of the video signal can start to degrade after just one foot.   ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2007 at 11:00 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13

Offline Tonmeister

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • The Art Of Sound
  • Liked:
« Reply #338 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 09:56 AM »
plasma or lcd? i think it depends on your application since both are not perfect video displays but have respective strengths and weaknesses. if you have the space and will use it for tv/movie viewing, then i'll go with plasma. if limited space and/or want to integrate it with your multimedia system (pc, gaming, etc.), then i suggest lcd. bottom line, either one works as long as it will make you happy  ;D

Offline parak

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #339 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 10:26 PM »
plasma or lcd? i think it depends on your application since both are not perfect video displays but have respective strengths and weaknesses. if you have the space and will use it for tv/movie viewing, then i'll go with plasma. if limited space and/or want to integrate it with your multimedia system (pc, gaming, etc.), then i suggest lcd. bottom line, either one works as long as it will make you happy  ;D

also, if you are going bigger than 42", nagmumura yung plasma vs. LCD counterpart, lalo na yung 50" pataas, laki difference sa price

Offline IceTea

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Temet Nosce.
  • Liked:
« Reply #340 on: Nov 07, 2007 at 10:24 AM »
Hi,

I would like to seek your opinion on another aspect of this topic.  The power consumptions of these items.  I understand that Plasma is higher in terms of power consumption than LCD.  I also heard that Plasma generates more heat than LCD.   :)

Offline threadlock

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #341 on: Nov 07, 2007 at 12:29 PM »
Advantages of Plasma over LCD:
1. Deeper blacks, better contrast ratio, displays blacks more accurately than LCDs especially for dark coloured movies.
2. Better viewing angles, although LCDs are already improving in this area.
3. Some LCDs tend to blur images especially during fast movie scenes or sports. I've seen so many Sony bravias on store displays has this nasty effects.
4. In my opinion, plasmas reproduce brighter colour than LCDs.
5. For me, plasma has the edge in terms of picture quality over LCD.

Advantages of LCD over Plasma:
1. Higher native resolution of similar size plasma.
2. Less power consumption.
3. Some says that LCDs last longer than plasmas.
4. Do no suffer from screen "burn in" effect.

For me, i'll just wait for SED TV  ;D
http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/sed_tvs.htm
With too many options you could end up not choosing one

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #342 on: Nov 08, 2007 at 01:32 AM »
For me, i'll just wait for SED TV  ;D

You'll be waiting for a very long time.

I started waiting for SED TV sometime in March 2006.  I lost hope and gave up in January 2007.

Here's a brief history:

1986 - Canon began SED research.
1999 - Canon announced immediate commercial production.
2000 to 2004 - no SED TV.

2004 - Toshiba and Canon announced a joint venture and a commercial launching by 2005.
2005 - no SED TV.

2006 - SED prototype shown at the Consumer Electronics Show; announced commercial availability by end of 2006.
April 2006 - Nano-Proprietary sues Canon, for violation of exclusivity agreement.
End of 2006 - no SED TV.

Feb 2007 - Canon lost the case on the ground that its Toshiba joint venture violated the exclusivity agreement.
May 2007 - Canon announced postponement of SED TV launch.

=========================================================

Whatever happened to SED TV?
It was going to be the tech to beat LCD and plasma

James Rivington
Oct. 3, 2007

http://www.tech.co.uk/home-entertainment/tv/tvs-displays/sed/features/whatever-happened-to-sed-tv

« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2007 at 07:29 PM by barrister »

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #343 on: Nov 08, 2007 at 06:37 PM »
Hi,

I would like to seek your opinion on another aspect of this topic.  The power consumptions of these items.  I understand that Plasma is higher in terms of power consumption than LCD.  I also heard that Plasma generates more heat than LCD.   :)

I own a plasma tv. My electric consumption increased, but only slightly, when i upgraded from a regular CRT tv, to a plasma. I watch TV approximately 1-2 hours a day on weekdays, and maybe 4 hours to sawa (depending on schedule) on weekends. For comparison, my electric bill increased more over the summer when I used the aircon extensively, than when I switched from CRT to plasma.

Re heat, medyo mainit nga. Pero not enough to make me not like watching tv. ;D

Offline IceTea

• Collector
  • Temet Nosce.
  • Liked:
« Reply #344 on: Nov 09, 2007 at 08:59 AM »
I own a plasma tv. My electric consumption increased, but only slightly, when i upgraded from a regular CRT tv, to a plasma. I watch TV approximately 1-2 hours a day on weekdays, and maybe 4 hours to sawa (depending on schedule) on weekends. For comparison, my electric bill increased more over the summer when I used the aircon extensively, than when I switched from CRT to plasma.

Hope you don't mind.  What was the size of your CRT and your plasma?  Size does matter, when we're talking about power consumption of TVs.   ;D  AFAIK, CRT has the biggest power rating, but since consumers usually go for a bigger Flat TV, then they say it equalize the rating.

Re heat, medyo mainit nga. Pero not enough to make me not like watching tv. ;D

Does the heat affect you when you're watching, or just when you're near the Plasma?  Obviously, we won't stand near a big TV Set when we're watching.   :D

TIA. ;)

« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2007 at 09:18 AM by IceTea »

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #345 on: Nov 09, 2007 at 05:01 PM »
you will only feel the uncomfortable heat if you approach within 1 1/2 feet from the screen, farther than this hindi na sya noticeable, and yes pati na sa electric bill hindi sya noticeable specially if you enjoy watching your favorite movies  ;)
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #346 on: Nov 10, 2007 at 04:16 PM »
Hope you don't mind.  What was the size of your CRT and your plasma? 
Does the heat affect you when you're watching, or just when you're near the Plasma?  Obviously, we won't stand near a big TV Set when we're watching.   :D

TIA. ;)

my CRT was 25". Heat has no effect while watching.

Offline chris69ners

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • "If u shake it more than twice, ur playin with it"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #347 on: Nov 10, 2007 at 04:39 PM »
Quote from av_phile1
Plasma or lcd using HDMI, DVI or Component will always UPSCALE or DOWNSCALE to their native resolution.  Whether or not your players upscale or not.  It's actually weird to have an upscaled image out of your DVD players.  If your plasma or lcd does not support the input resolution even if it can recognise and accept it, the upscaled image will just be downscaled to the display's native resolution.  You really don't need an upscaling DVD player if you already have an HDTV.  Unless you are convinced the player's upscaler is superior to what your TV has.

Ill be getting a 42pv70 soon and also plan to buy a philips dvp5986 upscaling dvd player to match with the tv. What will be the best resolution setting on the hdmi output to match the tv for me to get the best possible picture?

Do I really need an upscaling player or just stick to my reg one using component video since the tv has a built in upscaler already? May igaganda pa ba talaga ang pic quality pag hdmi ginamit?
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2007 at 04:02 AM by chris69ners »
7.2 / Wharfe9 / HK245 / Sony 65X7500D / Philips5986 / Sony RackSys / DQ12x2 / Xtreamer Elvira

Offline tsai

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #348 on: Nov 24, 2007 at 07:25 PM »
they are both great. But beware of eye fatigue that LCD could cause you. The backlight of LCD is too bright and therefore our pupil will be force to work extra hard while watching LCD. You will end up with red and teary eyes after a movie or two.

My LCD for the Laptop has caused me enough problems already. definitely a no no for my kids, who spend too many time with TV. M very happy with my plasma. Heard Pioneer is coming up with a new range call KURO m so exciting to see their new product.

i also hate the whitish color that LCD is deliverying

Offline kenjibaboy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Panasonic Plasma vs Philips LCD?
« Reply #349 on: Dec 20, 2007 at 01:47 AM »
Help!  I'm torn between the 42" Philips PFL7422 and the Panasonic 42" Viera Plasma model TH-42PV70 (mainly because they both fit my budget). 

I've researched a bit about Plasma vs. LCD, but I still can't weigh the pros and cons.  Panasonic boasts of a higher contrast ratio and overall better picture quality, while Philips claims its advanced technology and *2 megapixel* resolution beats plasma.

I will be using it mostly for my PS3 and for watching DVDs.  I might use it as my monitor for my PC, too.

What do you guys think?:)

Offline jonick

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: Panasonic Plasma vs Philips LCD?
« Reply #350 on: Dec 20, 2007 at 10:34 AM »
i vote for the panasonic. i had 2 philips 42"plasmas last year and after 6 and 8 months both tv's broke down on me and customer service is very bad plus repair time is soooo long with philips until now still my tv hasnt been fixed(7months na). i will never buy from philips again. i have the panasonic 42" pv70 plasma used it mainly on ps3 and works perfectly

Offline kenjibaboy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #351 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 02:03 AM »
7 months? tagal naman nun! i'm more or less convinced to get the panasonic. brought my ps3 to the shop and tried out some of the games both on the philips tv and the panasonic tv. medyo malaki nga yung difference in terms of color quality. so i'll most probably be getting the plasma tv anytime this week...unless someone can give me a good enough reason why panasonic's not a good buy. :)

Offline jayelgee

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #352 on: Jan 02, 2008 at 01:39 PM »
i vote for the panasonic. i had 2 philips 42"plasmas last year and after 6 and 8 months both tv's broke down on me and customer service is very bad plus repair time is soooo long with philips until now still my tv hasnt been fixed(7months na). i will never buy from philips again. i have the panasonic 42" pv70 plasma used it mainly on ps3 and works perfectly

Have the same bad experience with Philips TV.  Had a Philips 34" Pixel Plus CRT which I bought only some three years ago.  Having it fixed now but it's taking some time and they can't even give a definite answer when they expect to finish the job.  Instead of waiting, I bought a Panasonic 42PV70 and will just try to dispose of the Phililps CRT instead.  Like you, Philips is in my blacklist already.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #353 on: Jan 04, 2008 at 07:28 PM »
American Love Affair with TVs Grows More Intense, Says IDC
© Business Wire 2008
2008-01-03 13:48:39 -

"... For future TV purchases, LCD technology is heavily preferred over Plasma by the respondent base, 73% to 20%, respectively..."

http://www.pr-inside.com/american-love-affair-with-tvs-grows-r369333.htm
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2008 at 07:31 PM by barrister »

Offline athos45

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #354 on: Jan 05, 2008 at 03:00 PM »
they are both great. But beware of eye fatigue that LCD could cause you. The backlight of LCD is too bright and therefore our pupil will be force to work extra hard while watching LCD. You will end up with red and teary eyes after a movie or two.

My LCD for the Laptop has caused me enough problems already. definitely a no no for my kids, who spend too many time with TV. M very happy with my plasma. Heard Pioneer is coming up with a new range call KURO m so exciting to see their new product.

i also hate the whitish color that LCD is deliverying

i definitely agree. I've tinkered with the contrast and brightness of my 32' Samsung to cope with eye strain but it still isn't working well for me. I guess it's one way of saying that 2 hours a day is just right, no more no less............

until i get a Plasma :)

Offline doughn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • sleepyhead
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #355 on: Jan 05, 2008 at 07:46 PM »
for movies.. simply plasma

for multimedia and games and movies.

before my heart belongs to plasma, upto now for movies plasma is the best choice for flat panel, but now i have change of heart na... hehehe  LCD na, kc ayaw ko ng break-in period of 100hr.  also im afraid (eventhough some say its not true..but what if??) of burn-in possibilities of plasma.  and i want to use the lcd for internet and ps3

just me. peace man
7.2.4 system
Focal
Marantz
Epson
SVS
Elitescreen
Velodyne
Xbox1S
Nvidia
Berkline
Logitech
QED
Kimb

Offline tambutsoo

• Collector
  • YO Wazzup :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #356 on: Jan 18, 2008 at 11:30 AM »
madali masira ang Philip's. na pansin ko lang lahat ng tv product nila sirain

Offline boglers

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #357 on: Jan 22, 2008 at 07:18 AM »
i have the same dilemma before... Philips LCD or Panny Plasma... but now, its a pick between the Panny or the Pioneer plasma :) Kaso doble presyo ng Pioneer...ok sana ang video quality...
Panasonic 42PV70H
ONKYO-505
Pio-DV600
Wharfs 9.1/DFS/CS
US A

Offline blackie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #358 on: Jan 22, 2008 at 08:08 AM »
Have three panasonic TV's at home.  All working fine, i've had the two for some years now.  Currently enjoying the third, in fact i think i'm gonna name her ;D

Good Luck on whatever you decide to purchase ;D

Cheers ;D
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline Simple Mind

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #359 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 04:25 AM »
Guys visit kayo sa Philips website, may customer support link dun...Makakatulong yun sa problem nyo regarding support for defective Philips unit...eto website...http://www.p4c.philips.com...very accommodating ang customer care center nila...try nyo. :)