Author Topic: Plasma vs LCD ?  (Read 271614 times)

Offline ericag_ph

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Plasma vs LCD ?
« Reply #750 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 12:25 PM »
That's an easy one really...same reason why HP bought Compaq...and will soon buy EDS for several billion dollars.  ;D

It's called market share.   A larger market share whether its from Plasma or LCD or some other product that the company doesn't have paints a picture of a healthy growing, diversifying company.
Which investors like to see, so they can put their money into that company....
which then boosts the stock price of the company...
so everyone is happy  ;D

Nothing to do with Plasma or LCD's technical merits, but it's ability to affect the cashflow equation of the company  ;D Sometimes, the bonus is the free publicity  ;D  Can't put a price tag on that one  ;D

You should ask yourself why does LG and Samsung still manufacture plasmas despite LCD dominance in sales? Paki sagot naman 'to. Peace!
PLASMA PA RIN! ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2008 at 12:26 PM by ericag_ph »

Offline surg

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #751 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 12:34 PM »
Did your friend at LG tell you to get Plasma because it uses glass and not plastic?
Plasma needs glass because of the gasses involved.  Similar to the common light bulb.  ;D  
LCD can use plastic or glass... same base plastic formula used in autos, energy efficient plastic-buildings, even Formula 1 race cars and space ships  ;D

Just because Plasma uses glass, and not plastic, doesn't speak of its quality, but of the material required to use the technology effectively.  What material can do the job best at the least cost?    

It is also why technicians, or engineers, do not run these billion dollar corporations...the finance people do  ;D

Plasma pa rin!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

HELLO???
PLEASE
read again my post before you comment. The glass panel issue was ONLY my opinion as stated in my post: "I think plasma was not used in PC/Laptop bec plasma are made of glass so its heavier..."
My friend told me to get a plasma bec of its better PQ AND [b]durability[/b] AND reliability AND NOT because its made of glass NOR did he say that its more durable and dependable bec its made of glass

Hope the BOLD and italized letters helped so you can better understand my post
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2008 at 12:36 PM by surg »

Offline logan21

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #752 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 12:39 PM »
haha wow all out war ba to plasma vs LCD? hehe  ;D

for me, if compared side by side, plasma's PQ is waaaaaay better than lcd... although i own both types hehe.. (recently bought Panasonic 50pv80 & my old Samsung 32r81), i watch more sa plasma than my LCD. of course mas bago and malaki kasi  :P

as of durability, i think parehas lang sila coz plasmas now also boasts of 100,000hrs lifespan for their panels...

I think its all about preference... just do your research first before buying para walang sisihan hehe 8)

ako i spent countless hours reading and researching sa internet on which is better but every technology has its pros and cons so its still your decision in the end..  I ended up buying plasma and i think its a worthy investment.. ;D
Certified Blu-ray Addict!!!

Offline alvinh

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy your gears. Have fun in your journey.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #753 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 12:40 PM »
It will all boil down to each ones preference,

I still remember (being a fairly new member) when I initially browsed thru the threads to hopefully make a wiser decision on which of the two technology I should consider...being my very first HDTV. There were unending shifts on my mind from LCD to Plasma and back. And several auditions.
In the end, I made a choice that was best suited for my own reasons. Not necessarily that it (LCD) was the best PQ. However, I'm still happy with what I am using now for viewing movies. There will always be something better. I think that's why we all embraced SARS.

The points everyone shared regarding LCD vs Plasma should be sufficient for a "simple buyer" like myself to make a wiser decision. I believe that this is what the thread is all about. Hats off to everyone!

In the end, IMO only, the passionate (passionate is an understatement by the way) veteran members of pdvd, especially the SARS practitioners, earned their seats to suggest what would be a good choice. If i were to make a judgement based on their HT set up alone and their screenshots, a consumer like myself would most likely just say that "this person knows what he or she is doing". Credibility is not even an issue.

So, IMHO, if it's Plasma Pa Rin!, I have no doubt that it is. Exactly why it's still on my HT plan. ;D
Learn the technology but also learn to trust your ears and eyes...and enjoy the journey.

Offline surg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #754 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 12:43 PM »
Nothing to do with Plasma or LCD's technical merits, but it's ability to affect the cashflow equation of the company  ;D Sometimes, the bonus is the free publicity  ;D  Can't put a price tag on that one  ;D

Also the reason why Panasonic stopped production of plasma panels. It's not because plasma are inferior to lcd but bec they can cut production cost by just outsourcing panels from Matsu**ta. Just like Sony outsourcing lcd panels from samsung

BTW, from the way you talk about stock price, do you trade in stocks? in P6?

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #755 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 12:43 PM »
Now why don't they use plasma for the PC market if it sooo much better in PQ?

I think it has less to do with PQ than LCD simply being the right technology for the job.  The screen size & dot pitch of computer monitors are too small for plasmas, and image retention will be a problem since the display image is mostly stationary in computer usage.  Not to mention lower power consumption and longer lifespan makes LCD's more appropriate for computer monitor use.  For large cinemas, both LCD & Plasma flat panels are wrong for the job; projectors rule on that one.  Home theater is where the gray area is, since all 3 technologies do a fine job.
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2008 at 12:45 PM by bababundok »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #756 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 12:45 PM »
Us "simple buyers" and "simple research" buying LCD out-sold plasma 8:1

There's more of us  ;D than you  ;D ;D ;D ahahaha 

That's true.  LCD outsells plasma by a wide margin.

Last year, LCD sold better overall, but plasma outsold LCD in the 40-inch-plus category.  This year, LCD outsells plasma even in the 40-inch-plus category:

LCD TV Shipments Double Plasma In 40 inch Plus Category; LCD Share Reaches 68%
08-02-07
http://www.rtoonline.com/content/article/Aug07/LCDShareTo68Percent080207.asp

Sir nemesis sells way more plasmas than LCDs.  Maybe it's because he has a specialty shop, not a store for general appliances, which would be more representative of the buying trends of the average Juan de la Cruz.   

No stats are avaiable in the Philippines, so it's hard to confirm the sales ratios.
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2008 at 12:45 PM by barrister »

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #757 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 12:55 PM »
Also the reason why Panasonic stopped production of plasma panels. It's not because plasma are inferior to lcd but bec they can cut production cost by just outsourcing panels from Matsu**ta. Just like Sony outsourcing lcd panels from samsung

pioneer ata bro .. :D
afaik matsush!ta is panasonic and panasonic was a brand name made by matsush!ta for the US market .. :)
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2008 at 12:56 PM by ninjababez »
ninjababez online ..

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #758 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 12:55 PM »
Really, guys, someone here needs help on selecting PLASMA or LCD...
the "experts" who did their "research" ;D can do better than just say "here's what I bought",
it will be good if you buy the same thing.    ::) ::)
Get PLASMA...it's got the BEST PQ....  :o  duhh....
Get LCD it's better than PLASMA   ;D duhh...

So...to the poster, since your situation is unique:    ;D

In decision making, here's the method used by NASA to bring home the Apollo 13  ;D
It can be applied to anything, is the point I want to make.   ;D
By doing this, you leave nothing to CHANCE;D  ie chamba lang

In basic decision making analysis, list your objective.

Purpose:  ie. "Buying a TV"

What are your WANTS vs MUSTS from the list below?
Bear in mind more "musts" will limit your selection.

List OBJECTIVES  (and alternatives for each objective)                               
Price?    ex: ...MUST be P30000 or less...
Size?     ex: ...WANT 32" to 40"... alternative is a 42" modelxyz123
Picture Quality?  <--- note this is just ONE in many, so it's NOT everything  ;D
Audio Quality
Ports needed?
Brand?
Primary use = as a TV?
Secondary use = as PC Monitor?
Type of viewing?
Ambient light performance?
Access to source material (DVD,cable,divx,etc.)?
Portability?
Color?
Can be wall mounted?
Can be carried by one person?
Can be carried by two people?
Will used by kids?
Power consumption?
Re-sale factor?
Status symbol factor?  <-- to some this is actually very important  ;D
etc...etc...etc...

Next, What is the importance level of each?  (to answer this, determine if
it is mandatory, measurable, realistic.  if you say yes to all 3, then its a MUST)  ;D

Next, Put weights on those WANTS.  ie  1 to 10 (10 being highest)  ;)

Next, Evaluate the alternatives?   :P
ex:  What are the different choices available to you?  model xyz123, model abc234
ex:  Screen the alternatives:  Does the the alternative meet each MUST?  If not, discard it from your list.
ex:  Compare the alternative with each WANT:  How does the alternative perform against each WANT listed above

Next, Asses the RISKS:  :o
Assess the risks involved and identify any consequences, probabilities , impact of  those risks to YOU.

ex:  Plasma --> Image retention aka "temporary" Burn-in / probability = high / impact = high
ex:  LCD --> Dead pixels / probability = high / impact = low
ex:  CRT --> etc...etc...
ex:  OLED -->  etc..etc..
ex:  RPTV --> etc...

Finally, make a decision, (add them up)  ;D  ;D
....for as long as you accept the risks to gain the benefit of your choice  ;D

I've read this whole thread and it seems comparison really is for 42" up. How about for 32"? Some posts say that when buying below 42", LCD is better since there won't be too much difference in PQ, plus you get it cheaper. I've inquired with the resellers here, and the price of the LG 32" Plasma and 32" LCD TVs (Toshiba 32Av500/Samsung 32A450/Panasonic 32LX80) are just the same. I don't think I'd be using it for my laptop, but it wouldn't hurt I guess if it had that feature in case I would be needing it. About the break-in, I understand why it is needed but I don't understand how it is done hehe. We would be placing it in our room, with a sliding translucent glass door. I'm just a yuppie, and this would be a big investment for me. Any help would be appreciated, my partner and I just want the best value for our money :)
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2008 at 01:16 AM by ericag_ph »

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #759 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 01:00 PM »
I think it has less to do with PQ than LCD simply being the right technology for the job.  The screen size & dot pitch of computer monitors are too small for plasmas, and image retention will be a problem since the display image is mostly stationary in computer usage.  Not to mention lower power consumption and longer lifespan makes LCD's more appropriate for computer monitor use.  For large cinemas, both LCD & Plasma flat panels are wrong for the job; projectors rule on that one.  Home theater is where the gray area is, since all 3 technologies do a fine job.

If money is not an issue, I'm pretty sure that majority will own the three technologies.
I have an LCD...an old Plus PJ waiting for an upgrade...and saving up for a Plasma.
Para wala ng confusion in the future... ;D ;D ;D

I agree. The PJ has always been my first choice in viewing movies.
When it got brighter in the room as my lifestyle changed, the LCD became another option.

Learn the technology but also learn to trust your ears and eyes...and enjoy the journey.

Offline surg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #760 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 01:02 PM »
pioneer ata bro .. :D
afaik matsush!ta is panasonic and panasonic was a brand name made by matsush!ta for the US market .. :)

hehe typographical error. Thanks

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #761 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 01:08 PM »
I've read this whole thread and it seems comparison really is for 42" up. How about for 32"? Some posts say that when buying below 42", LCD is better since there won't be too much difference in PQ, plus you get it cheaper. I've inquired with the resellers here, and the price of the LG 32" Plasma and 32" LCD TVs (Toshiba 32Av500/Samsung 32A450/Panasonic 32LX80) are just the same. I don't think I'd be using it for my laptop, but it wouldn't hurt I guess if it had that feature in case I would be needing it. About the break-in, I understand why it is needed but I don't understand how it is done hehe. We would be placing it in our room, with a sliding translucent glass door. I'm just a yuppie, and this would be a big investment for me. Any help would be appreciated, my partner and I just want the best value for our money :)

go for PLASMA na 32, pag di mo na gustohan palitan ko ng LCD. ;)
32inch LG plasma Rocks! pero madami akong lcd 4 sale....hehehehe
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2008 at 01:09 PM by Nemesis91 »

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #762 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 01:11 PM »

ex:  LCD --> Dead pixels / probability = high / impact = low

I have seen dead pixels in LCD monitors, and they lit up like twinkle stars...

just a question to LCD owners, kumukutikutitap ba ito in dim lit rooms...?

I think that is a huge factor to consider rather than IR...

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #763 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 01:15 PM »

So far, i have not seen anything na kumukutikutitap sa 46W300.
But next time i watch, I'll see if I notice anything.
Baka makita ko if hahanapin ko ;)
Will get back to you if meron.

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #764 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 01:16 PM »
No need to get defensive  ;D  ;D  ;D
Just returning the favor hehehe  ;D  ;)

HELLO???
PLEASE
read again my post before you comment. The glass panel issue was ONLY my opinion as stated in my post: "I think plasma was not used in PC/Laptop bec plasma are made of glass so its heavier..."
My friend told me to get a plasma bec of its better PQ AND [b]durability[/b] AND reliability AND NOT because its made of glass NOR did he say that its more durable and dependable bec its made of glass

Hope the BOLD and italized letters helped so you can better understand my post

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #765 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 01:17 PM »
Panasonic has a good article on the LCD vs Plasma question:

Plasma or LCD: Which format is the right choice for you?

http://www.panasonic.ca/English/audiovideo/plasma/lcdorplasma.asp

Conclusion

Now, which product is right for you? From a technology standpoint, LCD is better suited for smaller screen sizes and regular TV viewing because of its bright clear picture.

Plasma works best for living/family room or home theatre style applications because of its faster response time, natural colour reproduction and high contrast in typical home lighting conditions. Fast action sports and movies with dark scenes always look best on a plasma television. It really is all about the application and not about the technology.
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2008 at 01:17 PM by barrister »

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #766 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 01:18 PM »
It is. but compaired to a whole image (IR), a dot is acceptable to me, in my case.
Plus, it can be made to go away as well (dead pixel).

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #767 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 01:21 PM »
Panasonic has a good article on the LCD vs Plasma question:

Plasma or LCD: Which format is the right choice for you?

http://www.panasonic.ca/English/audiovideo/plasma/lcdorplasma.asp

Conclusion

Now, which product is right for you? From a technology standpoint, LCD is better suited for smaller screen sizes and regular TV viewing because of its bright clear picture.

Plasma works best for living/family room or home theatre style applications because of its faster response time, natural colour reproduction and high contrast in typical home lighting conditions. Fast action sports and movies with dark scenes always look best on a plasma television. It really is all about the application and not about the technology.

In another words LCD is for PC. ;)

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #768 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 01:25 PM »

its annoying .. most of the time .. dun nakafocus attention mo ..
last year i had that same issue with my viewsonic lcd for my desktop .. its so annoying that i sold it 2k less than the original price .. used it for 3 days (less 10 hours) .. :(
ninjababez online ..

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #769 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 01:29 PM »
So far, i have not seen anything na kumukutikutitap sa 46W300.
But next time i watch, I'll see if I notice anything.
Baka makita ko if hahanapin ko ;)
Will get back to you if meron.

you can easily spot a dead pixel by using primary colors..
e.g. black spot (dot on a navy blue background)

software download here: http://www.dps.uk.com/download.php?file=4
instructions/description here: http://www.dataproductservices.com/dpt
ninjababez online ..

Offline jackstone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #770 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 01:42 PM »
go for PLASMA na 32, pag di mo na gustohan palitan ko ng LCD. ;)
32inch LG plasma Rocks! pero madami akong lcd 4 sale....hehehehe

Wow, this would be the best deal hehe. I'll take your word for it sir ;)

Offline jackstone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #771 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 01:43 PM »
thanks sa mga advice hehe. peace tayo lahat dito  8)

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #772 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 01:49 PM »
thanks sa mga advice hehe. peace tayo lahat dito  8)
so far healthy pa naman yung discussion eh .. so far    ::) ::)
ninjababez online ..

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #773 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 01:56 PM »
you can easily spot a dead pixel by using primary colors..
e.g. black spot (dot on a navy blue background)

software download here: http://www.dps.uk.com/download.php?file=4
instructions/description here: http://www.dataproductservices.com/dpt

Thanks for the suggestion. This will make my life easier.  ;D

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #774 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 02:09 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. This will make my life easier.  ;D

no problem .. check out the bottom part of that page .. it has instructions on how to easily detect dead pixel and stock pixel as well .. happy hunting!   ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2008 at 05:47 AM by ninjababez »
ninjababez online ..

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #775 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 02:43 PM »
However  ;D  ;D

What then is the true cause that Pioneer has to outsource the primary component of their Plasma?
To answer that...you would probably need to see the books...or talk to one of the directors  ;D
but in the end it would likely trickle all the way to the "buyer", who spends more often on LCD than Plasma.
 ;)  They wouldn't have to do that if buyers bought more Plasma from Pioneer  ;)

As you have observed, Manila malls have Plasma and LCDs side-by-side.  But as you stated,
where you are at, the malls carry only LCDs.  That probably didn't happen overnight.  Plasma was beaten
out by LCD somewhere along the lines.

I don't know....would you say where you are at, people know how to make better choices?  ie.  LCD?

Here, it would seem to me, that the only thing going for Plasma is PQ...but my recent post suggests there
are far many more factors that would affect buying a TV than just PQ.  :)

...and Plasma PQ rocks...only if there is no IR, green phosphor, judder, and after a 200hr break-in,
which come as a RISK to anyone who purchases a Plasma  ;D

Accept those risks, if you choose to benefit from a Plasma's good qualities.

But try not to think that Plasma is all PQ   ;D  Afterall, we are not one-dimensional creatures  ;D

« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2008 at 02:43 PM by ericag_ph »

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #776 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 03:03 PM »

;)  Bring the popcorn  ;D

haha wow all out war ba to plasma vs LCD? hehe  ;D

Offline busabos

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #777 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 03:15 PM »
Now I'm finally confused  ;D
I am just dying to see someone post once more "Plasma pa rin"!!   ;D

I thought that Plasma gave absolutely the best PQ, a tad better, over a calibrated LCD?
So I'm now wondering, what is this green phosphor issue with Plasma?   ???

And from the previous postings... It even retains images...like "HBO" on the screen if left running for 3 hours on the HBO channel.

And I'd have to watch in zoom mode and adjust contrast levels to 50% less for 200 hours, turn black bars to gray color, just to break-in a Plasma.
(Which in my case is 200 days from the time I would buy it, if I would only watch 1 hour per day).

Really, I think that is just way too much work for a simple buyer.  :P

So how can Plasma say it has the best PQ now?  ???

If I understand the claims here correctly Plasma has the best PQ...but...but...it seems to clear to me now...
it is best as long as you don't experience the Image retention and green phosphor..and judder?  ..and only after you break it in 200 hrs later...

Did I get that right?

Right, but at the end of the day Plasma still has the best PQ.  Image retention will go away after a short period of time (based on my experience) while Image burn is already a thing of the past. 

If you dont want to experience the draw backs of what you mentioned, then you can settle for an lcd.  However if you still want the best of the best in terms of PQ, then go for Plasma.  I don't think there's an LCD that can outperform or at least match PLasma in terms of PQ, but if there's such, Im pretty sure it's REALLY expensive.

My suggestion, and this is really easy  ;D, STOP researching and looking for advantages and disadvantages of LCD and Plasma.  Let your eyes decide and visit your nearest appliance store.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #778 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 03:19 PM »

Here, it would seem to me, that the only thing going for Plasma is PQ...but my recent post suggests there
are far many more factors that would affect buying a TV than just PQ.  :)

...and Plasma PQ rocks...only if there is no IR, green phosphor, judder, and after a 200hr break-in,
which come as a RISK to anyone who purchases a Plasma  ;D

Accept those risks, if you choose to benefit from a Plasma's good qualities.

But try not to think that Plasma is all PQ   ;D  Afterall, we are not one-dimensional creatures  ;D

As if naman choosing LCD doesnt have its risks....

Theres the dead pixel, the motion blur, less than stellar response time, the viewing angle.........

You have all that, and then you still have to think, that the other technology has a better PQ in terms of contrast ratio and color accuracy.

You accept those risks, then you still try hard to calibrate the PQ, thinking it will be at par at the other technology's PQ.  But no, it still falls short, coz the other guys have calibrated their Plasmas too.  

Where does it leave it, if its up to me?

.....Id rather have PLasma's risks, than LCD risks.   At least with PLasma, I know I have the better PQ.

I know PQ isnt everything, but Im not a simple buyer.   I get value for my money by prioritizing what I want in something.   And in buying a flat panel, PQ gets a huge chunk of that priority pie.

The true simple buyers out there are the LCD owners who mostly doesnt care about the disadvantages of their panel.   Or any other panel.  

The simple buyer who pretends is the one who disses a 100 hour breakin and the importance of PQ......then calibrates his panel to say it is at par with the other technology.

Enough with the FUD, both panel has its own risks.  Just enjoy your TV.  ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2008 at 03:22 PM by Munskie »

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #779 on: Aug 13, 2008 at 03:24 PM »
If you let only EYES decide (ie. you are thinking one-dimensionally),
which we know some members here are guilty of  ;D  ;D
then no other criteria will even be considered.  ;D

What if later on, I need to carry the unit around, portability? ...or what if kids will use it...etc...
Letting ONLY EYES decide - that's a poor way of making decisions.  ;D  ;)

Criteria/decision making - ie. same technique NASA uses - I have listed it just a few posts above.
Hope it helps you, it can be applied to anything ;D

My suggestion, and this is really easy  ;D, STOP researching and looking for advantages and disadvantages of LCD and Plasma.  Let your eyes decide and visit your nearest appliance store.