Author Topic: Plasma vs LCD ?  (Read 271701 times)

Offline ruth2art

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Plasma vs LCD ?
« Reply #840 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 01:17 AM »
i agree...

PLASMA PA DIN!!! :D :D :D
"There is always, always, always something to be thankful for."

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #841 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 07:07 AM »
Moderators:  Some people here should get their FACTs right before making FALSE and INACCURATE, DEFAMATORY, PROFANE, OBSCENE, accusations.  I will wait for your action on the matter.

FACTS that i know ..
plasma has better PQ compared to lcdtv ..
plasma faster response time compared to lcdtv ..
lcdtvs are priced higher than plasma ..
lcdtvs are outselling plasma tvs ..

no more OT please ..

ninjababez online ..

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #842 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 08:07 AM »
As if there is any of the mods around to care what has been going on in this thread. So how about more popcorn, anyone? ;D ;D ;D

At ito, cupcake pag ayaw mo ng popcorn... ;D ;D ;D

Sir,

Cheese flavor...?  :P

Honestly it will all boil down to what the buyers preference is, though the points raised by ninjababez are really ideas to be considered when buying a flat TV, but the fact remains that not all eyes were created equal, may mga mata na nagagandahan sa PQ ng LCD and others sa PQ ng plasma, the least we can do is respect each ones preference, such ideas indicated in the argument in the previous page on says that we cannot change each others mind naman na. So quit raising new topics to be argued... its pointless and useless...

cheers..!

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #843 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 08:34 AM »
The Imaging Science Foundation (ISF) states the the most important aspects of picture quality are (in order): 1) contrast ratio, 2) color saturation, 3) color accuracy, 4) resolution.

So if you are looking for a panel, and PQ is of utmost importance in your buying decision, consider those aspects.

Plasma is generally superior to LCD in all other aspects except resolution.   But then again, resolution is just 4th on the list.  And resolution can be altered by your viewing distance.  ;)

After having posted that....its still the buyer's decision.   ;)

« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2008 at 09:47 AM by Munskie »

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #844 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 08:43 AM »
The Imaging Science Foundation (ISF) states the the most important aspects of picture quality are (in order): 1) contrast ratio, 2) color saturation, 3) color accuracy, 4) resolution.

So if you are looking for a panel, and PQ is an utmost importance in your buying decision, consider those aspects.

Plasma is generally superior to LCD in all other aspects except resolution.   But then again, resolution is just 4th on the list.  And resolution can be altered by your viewing distance.  ;)

Sir, pero plasma pa rin...?   :D

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #845 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 09:37 AM »
and because of your posts, im now convinced even more to change my display .. from LG 32" plasma to ..
panasonic 42" PV8  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2008 at 09:41 AM by ninjababez »
ninjababez online ..

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #846 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 10:02 AM »
I will reopen this thread because its very informative.

We are all responsible members here. Pls stick to the topic and lets have a healthy discussion.
This is my first and last warning to everyone.

Offline Bolshoie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #847 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 08:05 PM »
I have an LCD TV but mostly I have to agree with almost everyone here that Plasma has superior PQ than LCD but it doesnt mean that I wont be loving baby anymore its just that im just redying her replacement in the future

Offline stoksman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #848 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 10:22 AM »

So if you are looking for a panel, and PQ is of utmost importance in your buying decision, consider those aspects.

I think that there is a good deal of confusion that arises in comparisons between  720p and 1080p resolutions. First, the current assumption that 1080p is always the “better” choice relies completely on the assumption that resolution is the most important indicator of overall performance—an assumption that really does not hold up in many situations. In fact, a recent SMPTE (Society of Motion Pictures and Television Engineers) study found that the four aspects of a picture that the human eye “sees”—in order of importance - are:

1. Contrast Ratio/Dynamic Range
   2. Color Saturation
   3. Colorimetry/Color Temperature or Grayscale
   4. Resolution

So, all else being equal, resolution is actually the last item on the list in terms of picture quality and evaluation. High contrast ratio and accurate, deep color reproduction are generally greater contributors to overall perceived quality.

Marketing hypes insists that higher resolutions are better but the scientists states otherwise, so wag kayong masyadong maniwala sa mga salesmen, yung mga mata nyo gamitin nyo para sa final decision nyo sa pagpili kung anong flat panel tv ang bibilhin nyo. Sa aking paningin (aking sariling mga mata), plasma pa din...he,he,he.... Isa pa, ang binili ko ay 32 LG na plasma....

Offline Geren

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #849 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 10:25 AM »
Reading this thread reminded me of the time when i have made a decision to buy an HDTV. I used to turn green with envy, everytime i pass along shop windows displaying these wide screen TV's. It's really hard for a first time buyer, especially if it's hard earned cash we are talking about, to make that jump to the hometheater world. I almost made a spur of the moment decision to buy an LCD when i saw a sale on Abenson's early this year. Fortunately for me, i also passed by Theaterworks and saw those gorgeous plasma's on display. (Bought my Onkyo from Sights and Sounds). Seeing the price difference between the Plasma and LCD from Abenson made me wonder if perhaps there's something wrong with plasma technology, as i have not been up to date with these LCD and plasma thing, at that time. Pinoydvd came to mind - maybe the members there know better. (Was a member years ago but stopped visiting the forums for a very long time).

I have faith on the members of this community. I believe that the members are very objective and responsible people. I believed them when they say that burn-in is not an issue, but to be sure, just do the 100 hour break-in procedure. I would rather suffer a 100 hour break-in period than watching on with a lower picture quality (for me) for the rest of my TV's lifespan. The very few times when i experienced image retention did not bother me at all as it literally fades away as soon as i watch and enjoy the next movie.

To all members - Thank you for helping me make the right decision based on my preferences.

Cheers to everybody!!! More Power to PinoyDVD!!!

You are infected by SARS!
Denial is a symptom of addiction.
Resistance is futile!!!

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #850 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 11:06 AM »
Consumers Upgrade, but to Smaller TVs
By ERIC A. TAUB
Published: August 15, 2008

Americans are not just switching to smaller cars. They are also buying smaller TVs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/16/technology/16tv.html?ref=business

« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2008 at 11:06 AM by barrister »

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #851 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 04:02 PM »
Smaller TVs are cheaper and appeals to the mass market.  No doubt LCD rules in sales because of its affordability.  It's only lately that we find plasmas in 32" while LCD 32" is in the market for quite sometime.  Besides, most ordinary consumers are more concerned about price rather than picture quality.  Dito nga sa Pinas e, people buy pirated dvds (there are even xx-in-1 movies in one disc!), despite knowing that their picture quality is inferior than an original DVD9 disc.   :-[
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2008 at 04:12 PM by milken »

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #852 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 04:28 PM »
Interesing facts...LCD is slowly eating into PDP territory...

"PDP shipment growth surged in Q2 by 35% Q/Q and 34% Y/Y as 32” HD shipments were initiated by Vizio into the US market, quickly rising to almost 13% of all PDP shipments for the quarter. 42” PDP shipments also rose in Q2, climbing 86% Q/Q, but 50” PDP shipments were flat Q/Q as LCD proved a tough competitor at 50-54”."

"Overall LCD TV gained share during the quarter, rising from 77.5% to 79.8% unit share, a new high. LCD TV also gained against PDP in the 50-54” size category, rising to a new high of 46.1% with most 52” LCD TVs selling at a substantial premium to comparable PDP models. LCD did drop from 97.7% to 93.6% of shipments at 32” though, as 32” HD PDP entered the size category during the quarter."

http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde/xchg/displaysearch/hs.xsl/7034.asp
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2008 at 04:47 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #853 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 04:42 PM »
I was standing right in front of two 65 inch panels side by side last night;  A Panasonic PZ800 and Sharp's Flagship R series showing the finals of Olympic judo in Bic Camera near Ginza.  Katabi ng Sharp yung 50V flagship ng Sony.  In all honesty, I cannot decide which looked better for that particular TV broadcast.   The colors of the Pany are just as appealing as the brightness and clarity of the Sharp and Sony straight on.  A regular viewer would not watch his/her TV on the edges right?  

LCDs sell more than Plasma not only due to better marketing, more makers, more sizes but also because its PQ actually looks absolutely fantastic if you feed it with the right signal.  My LCD showed as clearly and as beautifully as my Plasma that Michael Phelps did not win today.   ;D

But I appreciate that right signals are not necessarily available in any location.  So what you should do is to bring whatever equipment you have to the store (PS3, Xbox360, BD, HD-DVD, DVD, DVD Recorder, Videocam, Recorded TV show, VHS, Betamax, your HTPC, your Popcorn, your cellphone, etc.) and asked to be allowed to test all of these to see with you own eyes what to expect when your bring the equipment home.   If you are a serious buyer, I dont think the seller would refuse such kind of tests (and inconvenience) at the store, but just be considerate of the time or day, and bring your own test equipment and data.    Take note of the illumination of the store and compare that with your own TV room.   This is an important factor as Plasma shines better in the dark while LCD excels when it's bright.

Many first time buyers are confused and endlessly second guessing themselves because of the amount of this investment, whatever the salesmen are saying, whatever Pana and Samsung or Sony or Sharp are publishing, and the claims of the members of this board.   The thing is, most everybody is biased.  Who cares what the experts think if you and family prefer another?    If "you are a serious buyer NOW, I would try to spend more time doing tests and observations in stores than reading about specs and reviews and claims and posts.  That way, you'd better appreciate that both technologies have weaknesses that you simply have to accept.

So whether Plasma pa rin or LCD pa rin, decide it with your own eyes while considering your particular needs and applications.   Seriously, I like both.  LCD and Plasma complete each other.

BTW, neither one will be obsolete until you get the itch to buy a new one.

« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2008 at 04:47 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline danrd

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Do it now while you still can!
  • Liked:
« Reply #854 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 04:54 PM »
I was standing right in front of two 65 inch panels side by side last night;  A Panasonic PZ800 and Sharp's Flagship R series showing the finals of Olympic judo in Bic Camera near Ginza.  Katabi ng Sharp yung 50V flagship ng Sony.  In all honesty, I cannot decide which looked better for that particular TV broadcast.   The colors of the Pany are just as appealing as the brightness and clarity of the Sharp and Sony straight on.  A regular viewer would not watch his/her TV on the edges right?   

LCDs sell more than Plasma not only due to better marketing, more makers, more sizes but also because its PQ actually looks absolutely fantastic if you feed it with the right signal.  My LCD showed as clearly and as beautifully as my Plasma that Michael Phelps did not win today.   ;D

But I appreciate that right signals are not necessarily available in any location.  So what you should do is to bring whatever equipment you have to the store (PS3, Xbox360, BD, HD-DVD, DVD, DVD Recorder, Videocam, Recorded TV show, VHS, Betamax, your HTPC, your Popcorn, your cellphone, etc.) and asked to be allowed to test all of these to see with you own eyes what to expect when your bring the equipment home.   If you are a serious buyer, I dont think the seller would refuse such kind of tests (and inconvenience) at the store, but just be considerate of the time or day, and bring your own test equipment and data.    Take note of the illumination of the store and compare that with your own TV room.   This is an important factor as Plasma shines better in the dark while LCD excels when it's bright.

Many first time buyers are confused and endlessly second guessing themselves because of the amount of this investment, whatever the salesmen are saying, whatever Pana and Samsung or Sony or Sharp are publishing, and the claims of the members of this board.   The thing is, most everybody is biased.  Who cares what the experts think if you and family prefer another?    If "you are a serious buyer NOW, I would try to spend more time doing tests and observations in stores than reading about specs and reviews and claims and posts.  That way, you'd better appreciate that both technologies have weaknesses that you simply have to accept.

So whether Plasma pa rin or LCD pa rin, decide it with your own eyes while considering your particular needs and applications.   Seriously, I like both.  LCD and Plasma complete each other.

BTW, neither one will be obsolete until you get the itch to buy a new one.

Very well said. I think this statement should conclude the "plasma vs. lcd" issue.  ;)

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #855 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 05:32 PM »
Very well said. I think this statement should conclude the "plasma vs. lcd" issue.  ;)

This will only die down when one technolgy says "UNCLE". It's similar to the HD Format wars. Yung sumuko yung HD DVD, tapos na ung away...
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2008 at 05:35 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline danrd

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Do it now while you still can!
  • Liked:
« Reply #856 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 06:06 PM »
This will only die down when one technolgy says "UNCLE". It's similar to the HD Format wars. Yung sumuko yung HD DVD, tapos na ung away...

He he. But I don't think technology would say that very soon. IMHO - Plasma and lcds "today" still have a huge gap in terms of performance.  Plasmas takes the throne in possessing "awesome colors" while lcds sits on having the ultimate "details". Unless these two meet halfway, I think its too early to say "plasma vs. lcd.  ;)

Offline Val David

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #857 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 07:09 PM »
http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/plasma-vs-lcd-TV.html

http://www.projectorpeople.com/resources/lcd-plasma-projector.asp

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/12/21/plasma-vs-lcd-plasma-is-still-better/

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/plasma-vs-lcd.html

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-lifespan.html

For what its worth, I would invest my hard earned money on a Plasma, saw plenty of LCDs,
and not even the most expensive LCD can match up with the picture quality and sharpness of the plasma...

To anyone planning on buying a flat TV, do your research, ask around, and most of all, TRUST your eyes,
besides, you'll be the one using that unit for a long time...

;)

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #858 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 07:44 PM »
Market wise, I think LCD has the edge right now coz they are more affordable and they have lot of sizes you can choose from. In terms of pq I would agree that plasma still have the edge (I really drool on that Kuro  ;D). Plasma vs LCD?  I don't really care coz I have two lcd's and my eyes are loving what they see with those two panels. Given a  chance though I'll buy a plasma  not because it is better than LCD but because it's another technology that I want to experience.  ;)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #859 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 03:28 PM »
In India ---- The superior product struggles to survive:

Will the Indian plasma TV market survive?
17 Aug, 2008, 0820 hrs IST, ET Bureau

But why aren’t plasmas selling? ... “Consumer electronic firms have invested so much in promoting them that in the mind of an ordinary consumer, LCDs have become synonymous with flat panels,” ... Ironically, the same firms are confident about the plasma’s capability as a superior product.

indiatimes.com

« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2008 at 03:38 PM by barrister »

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #860 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 05:44 PM »
The writing isn't in the wall yet...

Almost all TV makers maintain that plasmas are better than LCDs in many ways. Tarun Jain, country head at Hitachi Home Electronics, India, explains, “A plasma is a clearly better choice for the customer when it comes to very large screen sizes. Firstly, with regards to moving images plasma panels score over LCDs. Secondly, the price per square inch for a large screen plasma television is much lower than that for large screen LCD televisions for similar sizes.”

In fact, LGIEL is quite bullish on plasma sales with the launch of the first frame less plasma TV in India last month. It plans to capture 30% market share in the flat panel category with the launch. Along with LGIEL, at least two other companies, Panasonic India and Samsung India Electronics, launched brand new ranges of plasma TVs. Another important Japanese player in this segment, Hitachi Home Electronics is also planning to follow suit with its Ultra Thin range. So, does the plasma still have a chance?

Going by the statistics released by China Market Monitor Co, plasma lovers in India can breathe easy. Globally plasmas are making a strong comeback. Sample this: 528,000 plasma TVs were sold in the Chinese market in the first five months of this year, shooting 149.6% from a year earlier, thanks to the hot sales of 32-inch panels. Also according to a report published by display market research and consulting firm, DisplaySearch, international plasma shipments increased by 54% Y-o-Y.

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #862 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 06:44 PM »
http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/08/16/panasonic-gives-you-100-000-reasons-to-pick-its-1080p-plasmas/

;)

Credit Panasonic for fighting the good fight by introducing an easy-to-understand and relevant spec to the marketplace: its 2008 plasmas boast 100,000-hours plasma life for the 1080p sets, 60,000-hours for the 720p sets. .
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2008 at 06:47 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline Cybie

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #863 on: Aug 19, 2008 at 01:28 AM »
bakit mas advisable sa gaming ang LCD kesa plasma?

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #864 on: Aug 19, 2008 at 08:20 AM »
hmm afaik in gaming you need a fast response time .. hence, i would prefer plasma .. although the static images in gaming might cause IR (on some cases) .. :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #865 on: Aug 19, 2008 at 08:20 AM »

1.  The LCD image tends to look sharper, cleaner, showing finer details.
2.  In general and unless you buy 50V or bigger panels or full HD panels, LCDs have higher native resolution than plasmas.
3.  The image is brighter, allowing you to do computing ang gaming under any lighting conditions.
4.  The panels are usually non-glare.
5.  Gaming monitors are usually smaller than HDTV and plasmas are not available below 32 inch.  
6.  Color accuracy is not at all critical with gaming and gamers would normally sit right in front of monitors.
7.  LCDs optimized for gaming can be manufactured using the cheapest LCD tech.
8.  LCDs are cooler.  How would you like to stick your face close to a space heater?

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #866 on: Aug 19, 2008 at 02:34 PM »

- Screen size has probably a lot to do with it, 32-inch or smaller would normally be enough for gaming ... very few plasma tv's are available at 32-inch and there's nothing lower
- Personally, though I haven't experience any burn-in or IR on my PV8, I wouldn't risk using my plasma for long time gaming due to static images, hence I'm using LCD for gaming
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline doughn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • sleepyhead
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #867 on: Aug 19, 2008 at 05:17 PM »
im an lcd user,

i really want to upgrade to pana PV-8 plasma

i really like the PQ of the Pana PV-8 but im really concern of using it as Computer Monitor and also its maintainance...

so my choice for upgrade
a. Pana PV8 42"
b. LCD 40"

i will use it 80% movies (dvd, dl)
                15% cable tv
                  5% Computer Monitor

thanks
7.2.4 system
Focal
Marantz
Epson
SVS
Elitescreen
Velodyne
Xbox1S
Nvidia
Berkline
Logitech
QED
Kimb

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #868 on: Aug 20, 2008 at 04:17 PM »
for fun:

For those who believe in Fung Shui:

Most Fung Shui books state that you must avoid reflective surfaces like mirrors and TV's in your bedroom (facing the bed), or it disrupts the harmony between you & your spouse.

Plasma TV's have reflective surfaces. LCD's non reflective surface is the loophole  ;D

So if you are always fighting with your spouse, maybe its time to switch to LCD, hehehe.  :D

P.S. I seldom fight with my spouse! Must be the LCD or my favourite saying "Yes dear!"  ;D.

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2008 at 04:20 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #869 on: Aug 20, 2008 at 04:22 PM »
for fun:

For those who believe in Fung Shui:

Most Fung Shui books state that you must avoid reflective surfaces like mirrors and TV's in your bedroom (facing the bed), or it disrupts the harmony between you & your spouse.

Plasma TV's have reflective surfaces. LCD's non reflective surface is the loophole  ;D

So if you are always fighting with your spouse, maybe its time to switch to LCD, hehehe.  :D

P.S. I seldom fight with my spouse! Must be the LCD or my favourite saying "Yes dear!"  ;D.

ayos sir matz! in this aspect, i am glad i got a lcd instead of plasma.  ;D