Author Topic: SURPLUS SPEAKERS  (Read 194675 times)

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SURPLUS SPEAKERS
« Reply #300 on: Feb 05, 2007 at 08:21 PM »
Just recently purchased the ff: speakers

1. Aurex SS-F07 (sorry no pictures yet)
    - Doesn't have any review in the internet (not that I am aware of)
    - To me it has excellent vocals
    - Good imaging
    - Low and high frequency reproduction is very good

Last year, I got a pair of "ugly" Aurex (Toshiba) speakers (very heavy SS-510, 3-way with 10-inch woofer) simply because it was offered to me cheap at P1.6K. I thought it probably won't sound very bad considering Toshiba is an electronics giant. I found out later it sounded better (to my ears) than some of my mid to upscale British and US speakers and would likely beat some demo speakers in boutique hifi shops in Makati costing 20 times.

Ganito ka pangit (reminds me of the cheap 'baffles' sold in Raon in the '80s):

thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #301 on: Feb 06, 2007 at 09:05 AM »
The Aurex (4.5k) and Sony (3.5k) speakers are currently being auditioned by my friend. He says that the Aurex are very good for band recordings but not so much for critical listening. The Sony speakers are very good in vocals but lacking in instruments. High frequency reproduction is a bit weak and base is a bit boomy so he says.

The Aurex SS-F07 has 2 big brothers that I am aware of, the SS-F50 and SS-F90. Based on the review at Niji the SS-F90 seem to be a very good speaker. It's little brother SS-F07 may have some technology trickled down from its bigger brother.

I was taken by the review in the link www.kameson.com/audio/ for the Sony speakers so I gambled on this speakers. Based on this feedback, if you are the type who want this for all around performance you probably need to tweak the crossovers or change the wires.

Over 2 years ago I bought a Pioneer S-77twinSD floorstander. After a while, I got tired of the sound and just a few days ago wanted to sell it. Little did I know that these speakers can sound very good pala. Luckily I found above link and saw the construction, details on the drivers and crossovers. Wow! Maganda pala siya. The baffle design is good, the tweeter is attached firmly on the baffles and the woofer driver construction is also good. Only the crossovers and the wires still have room for improvement. As such, I'm off to modifying the crossovers and the wires. hehehe

This is what I plan to do http://www.kameson.com/audio/S-77TWINSD.htm
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2007 at 01:18 PM by rascal101 »

Offline aHobbit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #302 on: Feb 09, 2007 at 03:23 PM »
The Aurex (4.5k) and Sony (3.5k) speakers are currently being auditioned by my friend. He says that the Aurex are very good for band recordings but not so much for critical listening. The Sony speakers are very good in vocals but lacking in instruments. High frequency reproduction is a bit weak and base is a bit boomy so he says.

rascal ... try to test other amps on the speakers ... I think the test made is with a single amp (what amp are you using?) -  ;D   ;D  ;D

offer mo sa akin kung anu man ang pinagpaguran mo ha?  :D
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #303 on: Feb 12, 2007 at 10:53 AM »
My friend has a Carver and an Onkyo integrated. Can't remember the model nos. Iuuwi ko na iyung Aurex next week. The Sony will stay with my friend - bibilhin niya sa akin. Will test the Aurex on a Sansui AU-D907F and a NEC A700. Kung hindi ako masiyahan eh gawan ng paraan hehehe ...

Heard you had a NEC A10. Kumusta tunog nun?

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #304 on: Feb 12, 2007 at 01:30 PM »
My friend has a Carver and an Onkyo integrated. Can't remember the model nos. Iuuwi ko na iyung Aurex next week. The Sony will stay with my friend - bibilhin niya sa akin. Will test the Aurex on a Sansui AU-D907F and a NEC A700. Kung hindi ako masiyahan eh gawan ng paraan hehehe ...

Heard you had a NEC A10. Kumusta tunog nun?

It is the NEC A-10II - I have it paired with a audio-technica WEGA TT / JVC 1bit CDP / Panasonic hifi VHS. it sounds very clean & crystalline. its with me for 4 years na, and I have not put it yet in its permanent place - always experimenting with something else pa - but have permanent plans for it in its final resting place. Pa gwagwapuhin ko pa, to mate with my 2nd pair of Coral 10incher full range.
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #305 on: Feb 12, 2007 at 04:28 PM »
2nd pair ba kamo ng Coral? Ikaw ba iyung nakakuha ng Coral sa Pier recently ~ 3-4weeks ago? Tagal ko ng naghahanap ng Coral. Kung nagsasawa ka na sa tunog ng Coral PM mo lang ako.

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Only Taxpayer's should Vote !
  • Liked:
« Reply #306 on: Feb 15, 2007 at 07:01 PM »
Ok. You guys gave me enough curiosity to go all the way to the pier and have my own personal impressions of these jap speakers.  I already own a very good pair of floorstanders, but because of the price of these speakers I can afford to have another pair of bookshelves.

I tried several models, but for me the warmest sound from their solid state amps came out of these speakers:

DIATONE DS-15B

System 2 way 2 speakers acoustic air suspension system
Bookshelf type
Use unit For bass: 20cm cone type
For treble: 4cm cone type
Nominal impedance 6 Ω
Playback frequency zone 45Hz - 20000Hz
Crossover frequency 2000Hz
Output overpressure value 90dB/W/m
Largest input 60W
External size Width 240× height 415× depth 241mm
Weight 9kg
Remark Net grille attachment

I was surprised since I laid their amps to flat treble and flat bass, and still the sound oh was so warm.  I told myself that these are amazing...zing...zingly  :D warm and the fact that they are only using a Kenwood Integrated amp rated only at 90 watts.  :o I tested them with Harry Belafonte CD's - Live at Carnegian Hall, Harry and the Blues.  Also tried Nat King Cole and Trio.  Best for the price.   I've already listened to many bookshelves and know what my ear likes and dislikes.  This baby surprises my ear to the max.  I asked myself "Sigurado bang ganyan tunog niyan kasi for the price of Php2.2k, the Php50k bookshelves would have a hard time of being sold."   Checked out the condition and all was in its original state.  A few nicks on the body but it doesn't matter.

The other speakers only lasted about 20 seconds when tested with my CD's.    Either masakit tweeter sa tenga and too metalic, or too much bass, or sound was so thin.  This is why my choosing of speakers went so fast.  I've also tried the 3 way speakers.  For it's size I wouldn't even consider it.  I listened to it and knew at once that the 2 way speakers would be best for tubes.   Natural, uncolored music is what I describe this speaker.  It's high's were also sweet, but for strings my ribbons definitely overtakes this faster than a lighting strikes.  My ears definitely knew what it wanted.  With this, panalo. Grabe, Im happy with this buy.  Patricia Barber, get ready for papa !  hehe.   ;D

« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2007 at 07:07 PM by Le_Stat »
Only tax payer's should vote !

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #307 on: Feb 16, 2007 at 06:35 AM »
kala ko tube-hunter ka lang, dockers ka na rin pala!

eto hanap ko - ribbon sound -bakasakaling tumapat sa redroseribbon-sounding speaker mo  ;D ;D ;D

Otto electrostatic/ribbon speakers

Specs:
33 cm x 58 cm x 30 cm (wLd)
Hi- Flat Film Diaphram
Mid- 12 cm honeycomb disc
Low- 25 cm Honeycomb disc
3 way system.

bengbeng boys (senyors wanderlust & hans_adriane) wherever you are, pahiram po ng picture. tnx  :)

« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2007 at 06:50 AM by oweidah »

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #308 on: Feb 16, 2007 at 09:17 AM »
kala ko tube-hunter ka lang, dockers ka na rin pala!

eto hanap ko - ribbon sound -bakasakaling tumapat sa redroseribbon-sounding speaker mo  ;D ;D ;D

nyahahaha !   better place mundorf caps in that one as well.  That looks power hungry.  I go away from large woofers especially for tube amps.  It would work but not like the sound with monoblock 845's. Either manipis bass or sobrang kapal ng bass.  It would always be the listeners preference.  Kaya to be safe for tubes, get a smaller diameter woofer with high sensitivity.  Ever noticed what veteran audiophile's speakers are when it comes to tubes? 

However, those kinds of speakers with big woofers and no bass port at the back would go well with vintage solid state gears that are 230 watt and higher ratings.  I would choose that over any set up that is being sold in any shop.
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2007 at 09:33 AM by Le_Stat »

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #309 on: Feb 16, 2007 at 09:45 AM »
For tweeter crossover, placing even common branded polypropelene caps (eg Mundorf MCAP, Evox MKP etc) then putting a discharge resistor (~ 100ohm) I believe would be a better solution than just simply replacing the series cap with a very good capacitor (eg Mundorf Supreme/oil). Of course putting a very good cap then placing a discharge resistor is best but it is very taxing on the wallet.
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2007 at 09:54 AM by rascal101 »

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #310 on: Feb 16, 2007 at 10:11 AM »
For tweeter crossover, placing even common branded polypropelene caps (eg Mundorf MCAP, Evox MKP etc) then putting a discharge resistor (~ 100ohm) I believe would be a better solution than just simply replacing the series cap with a very good capacitor (eg Mundorf Supreme/oil). Of course putting a very good cap then placing a discharge resistor is best but it is very taxing on the wallet.

yes, that part too.  mabigat sa wallet but after that, it would take time to get upgrade itches. 

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #311 on: Feb 16, 2007 at 10:32 AM »
... However, those kinds of speakers with big woofers and no bass port at the back would go well with vintage solid state gears that are 230 watt and higher ratings.  I would choose that over any set up that is being sold in any shop.

I fully agree. BTW, going back to surplus speakers, here's from my personal experience. I have always trashed Japanese speakers since I started this hobby in early '80s (si Oweidah, ka-batch ko yan!), but three years ago, a local trader sold me a good-looking small Diatone (Mitsubishi) pair -- DA-a7 for P3.5K. When I tested it at home, halos itumba yung Epos 14 ko. It sounds so good and found out later it's even on the cheap side of the premium DS-a... series. After that I bought three other Diatones: 73DII, 66Z, and 300V.

Many Diatones available at surplus shops, especially those in wood boxes (not the black ones), are good performers, and in my opinion, some could beat those so-called "high-end" new production pairs.

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Liked:
Diatone Speakers
« Reply #312 on: Feb 16, 2007 at 11:22 AM »
i salute u guys for letting me explore this.  At least for me the smaller jap speakers are the finest.  

As I stated in my audio exploration before, it took me 5 months to decide which speakers to get. Just imagine what speakers went in and out of my house.  And at that time, there were no Japanese speakers that I auditioned and all were UK, US, Canadian, French, and Chinese.  Wala kasi nambuyo. hehehe.   

..... hindi lang Epos 14 itutumba neto na Book Shelf speaker.  ;D   

« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2007 at 12:25 AM by Le_Stat »

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #313 on: Feb 16, 2007 at 02:06 PM »
The Diatones have been heavyweights in hifi from way back. My dad who was into mono valve gear back in the '60s told me during his time, he was looking for a legendary Diatone full-range speaker that could make any tube amp sound its best. He never got one and settled for those old full-range EVs and Altecs.

I showed him the knisi directory and he replied it could be the 3-watt P-610A: http://page.freett.com/knisi/diatone1.htm

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #314 on: Feb 16, 2007 at 03:36 PM »
hello guys,
OT... Anyone with experience with ESS speakers? specifically the ESS HD1020?

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #315 on: Feb 16, 2007 at 08:03 PM »
If what you got is an AMT, that would be a gem but it runs below four ohms and could destroy some amps. I still have the ESS Performance 12, not that outstanding and built like the traditional speakers, unlike the AMTs, but still working with an electrostatic tweeter, 12-inch woofer and a 12-inch passive radiator at the back.
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2007 at 08:01 AM by sandawa »

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #316 on: Feb 16, 2007 at 11:25 PM »
.....detoxification process now ongoing for my Diatone DS-15B.   I just witnessed the autopsy proceedings and passed with flying colors !  ;D

Something's cooking.   ;)

« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2007 at 11:30 PM by Le_Stat »

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #317 on: Feb 17, 2007 at 11:57 AM »
.....detoxification process now ongoing for my Diatone DS-15B.   I just witnessed the autopsy proceedings and passed with flying colors !  ;D

Something's cooking.   ;)

isaw? chicharonbulaklak? kaw talaga monsieur le_stat, inalisan mo na naman ng laman-loob!

daya-tone na yan!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #318 on: Feb 17, 2007 at 01:46 PM »
Ok. You guys gave me enough curiosity to go all the way to the pier and have my own personal impressions of these jap speakers.  I already own a very good pair of floorstanders, but because of the price of these speakers I can afford to have another pair of bookshelves.

. Grabe, Im happy with this buy.  Patricia Barber, get ready for papa !  hehe.   ;D

Congrats, im sure its  good as it sounds ;)....

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #319 on: Feb 17, 2007 at 05:24 PM »
isaw? chicharonbulaklak? kaw talaga monsieur le_stat, inalisan mo na naman ng laman-loob!

daya-tone na yan!  ;D ;D ;D

inalisan ng laman loob at nilagyan ng totoong dila, panga, at lalamunan para totoo na tumunog.   ;)

@dana - thanks!  better visit the "holy grounds" again and you might find another treasure !   :D

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #320 on: Feb 17, 2007 at 05:49 PM »
inalisan ng laman loob at nilagyan ng totoong dila, panga, at lalamunan para totoo na tumunog.   ;)

hindi pa ba totoo sa iyo yun? baka magtunog LS3/5a na yan! ;D

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #321 on: Feb 17, 2007 at 05:57 PM »
hindi pa ba totoo sa iyo yun? baka magtunog LS3/5a na yan! ;D

that I can't tell yet.  Those are one of the legendary speakers I have not auditioned yet.  It has a badge of its own through the years.  But once I do, you would know.   

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #322 on: Feb 21, 2007 at 10:09 AM »
Pictures of the Aurex SS-F07 that I have purchased recently

with grille

without grille

Try as I like I still could not get any specifications on the internet for this one. However, based on the label it is rated for 120W nominal.

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #323 on: Feb 21, 2007 at 10:48 AM »
Pictures of the Aurex SS-F07 that I have purchased recently....

Try as I like I still could not get any specifications on the internet for this one. However, based on the label it is rated for 120W nominal.

naks! may bagong toy ang mama...valentines gift mo ba yan sa sarili , for being a good boy this year?;D ;D ;D

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #324 on: Feb 21, 2007 at 11:29 AM »
heh heh heh ... gift ko sa akin for a being a good boy ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2007 at 01:09 PM by rascal101 »

Offline mandrake

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Common sense is not as common as you think
  • Liked:
« Reply #325 on: Feb 21, 2007 at 01:00 PM »

Otto electrostatic/ribbon speakers

Specs:
33 cm x 58 cm x 30 cm (wLd)
Hi- Flat Film Diaphram
Mid- 12 cm honeycomb disc
Low- 25 cm Honeycomb disc
3 way system.

Hello Rene,  long time no hear and see :).  Sabagay pati ako medyo matagal 'di nakabisita dito.  Just wanted you to know nasa akin ang speakers na 'yan.  Di ko nga lang nagagamit....may problema 'ung tunog.  Thought it sounded strange when playing music so I tried it w/ the test tone of my HK -130 AV... it sounds like somebody speaking with hands cupped around his/her mouth :( Sayang nga... thought it would match well with my Sansui AU-D907X Decade.

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #326 on: Feb 21, 2007 at 01:17 PM »
Sir Mandrake,

Na-check mo na ba speakers? Baka kasi may loose connection lang sa loob o di kaya nag-leak na mga crossover caps niya.

Offline hattori_hanzo

• DVD Guru
  • LOUD and CLEAR! Mabuhay ang mga PCCian na bagets!
  • Liked:
« Reply #327 on: Feb 21, 2007 at 02:13 PM »
Pictures of the Aurex SS-F07 that I have purchased recently

with grille

without grille

dude sa pier mo ba binili to? sa dulo? kasi I saw this being repaired by a  technician dahil nag blow yung isang speaker driver, nag iisa kind lang siya dun, I was auditioning it that time and I was dissappointed kasi he hooked it wrong kaya nag short, pero before it tripped okey yung reproduction niya, REAL sweet sound........
PCCian... kumbento boys!

Pipho (pinoy photography) member

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #328 on: Feb 21, 2007 at 03:54 PM »
Sa Little Chatty ko binili ito.

Offline mandrake

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Common sense is not as common as you think
  • Liked:
« Reply #329 on: Feb 21, 2007 at 08:04 PM »
Sir Mandrake,

Na-check mo na ba speakers? Baka kasi may loose connection lang sa loob o di kaya nag-leak na mga crossover caps niya.

Hi Mel,

What I've done so far is to swap the mid-range drivers, hoping to isolate the problem.  But no go... the problem stayed with the same speaker... so wala sa drivers ang problema.  I don't know how to check for leaky caps... limited lang ang electronic skills ko eh :(  Maybe next EB natin dalin ko baka may time tayo mag-troubleshoot.

BTW, very nice speakers sir ;D ;D Congrats!!
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2007 at 08:09 PM by mandrake »