Author Topic: SURPLUS SPEAKERS  (Read 194686 times)

Offline hattori_hanzo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • LOUD and CLEAR! Mabuhay ang mga PCCian na bagets!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SURPLUS SPEAKERS
« Reply #330 on: Feb 22, 2007 at 01:59 AM »
Sa Little Chatty ko binili ito.

yup yan nga yon, its a good sounding speakers congrats...
PCCian... kumbento boys!

Pipho (pinoy photography) member

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #331 on: Feb 22, 2007 at 06:54 AM »
Hello Rene,  long time no hear and see :).  Sabagay pati ako medyo matagal 'di nakabisita dito.  Just wanted you to know nasa akin ang speakers na 'yan.  Di ko nga lang nagagamit....may problema 'ung tunog.  Thought it sounded strange when playing music so I tried it w/ the test tone of my HK -130 AV... it sounds like somebody speaking with hands cupped around his/her mouth :( Sayang nga... thought it would match well with my Sansui AU-D907X Decade.

hi mike!

kaw pala nagmana senyor wanderlust's audio treasures! im sure with a little help from our gurus here, maaayos mo yan. 
cheers! :)

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #332 on: Feb 22, 2007 at 09:23 AM »
dude sa pier mo ba binili to? sa dulo? kasi I saw this being repaired by a  technician dahil nag blow yung isang speaker driver, nag iisa kind lang siya dun, I was auditioning it that time and I was dissappointed kasi he hooked it wrong kaya nag short, pero before it tripped okey yung reproduction niya, REAL sweet sound........

Kung nag-short most probably iyung amp na-damage. From what I understand, the only way to damage the speakers is when you overload it.

Shorting speaker wires will cause the pwr transistors to see a very high load and would cause them sink very high current ultimately resulting to shorted pwr transistors assuming no OCP or short ckt protection.

Offline markmlists

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #333 on: Feb 22, 2007 at 10:50 AM »
Congrats Sir Rascal

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #334 on: Feb 22, 2007 at 11:37 AM »
Thanks guys.

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #335 on: Feb 22, 2007 at 01:46 PM »
Kung nag-short most probably iyung amp na-damage. From what I understand, the only way to damage the speakers is when you overload it.

Shorting speaker wires will cause the pwr transistors to see a very high load and would cause them sink very high current ultimately resulting to shorted pwr transistors assuming no OCP or short ckt protection.

aside from mechanical damage caused by too much woofer excursion/displacement thus off-centering the voice coil causing it to 'rub' till it cause a layer short (insulation failure), an 'oscillating' (usual symptom is mainit abnormally ung amplifier) amplifier can cause damage to your speaker, burned tweeter coil etc...

just my barya...

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #336 on: Feb 22, 2007 at 02:48 PM »
hey rascal,

magkano score mo? nice catch.. ;D
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #337 on: Feb 23, 2007 at 11:14 AM »
4.5k sa little chatty's.

Offline wetpax

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #338 on: Mar 10, 2007 at 05:26 PM »
pano ba pumunta sa pier? balak ko ding tumingin ng speakers and amps...

please advise thanks

Offline NMM1

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • DVD Addict
  • rock on!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #339 on: Mar 13, 2007 at 12:32 PM »
if ur coming from quiapo church going to taft,  take the bridge then pagbaba, turn right. that shouldt ake you to pier... di ko lang kabisado pasikot-sikot sa loob ng pier...
Rega | Schiit| Puffin | Yamaha | Dynaudio | ProAc | Accuphase

Offline wetpax

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #340 on: Mar 13, 2007 at 03:32 PM »
ok thanks

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #341 on: Mar 13, 2007 at 09:40 PM »
If you are in Roxas blvd coming from Baclaran...after passing through Luneta park just go on for 1 or 2 kilometers until you hit a rotonda. Turn left... after 50 meters or so, you will see a cluster of stores on the right side. There's a large covered structure with a lot of stores selling surplus TVs in front. Inside that structure are three surplus audio stores. Two of them are owned by a husband and wife tandem. They have few new items but sell at much lower prices because their outlet is inside the market (not as visible as the other stores. You can ignore the third outlet, I've never seen them carry a nice item ever.

If you pass by the covered market, just walk another 50 meters or so and you will find several surplus stores also on the right. The first of them is the Little Chatty's with about a dozen speakers displayed right outside the store. This outlet have the largest stock of surplus audio items at the pier. They sell higher than the other stalls...this is not a big problem though if you know how to haggle. Always attempt to bid for 50% the price ( call this my going in position). :) You won't probably get your price but you're likelier to get a much higher better deal than if you just offer at 10 or 20% off their asking price. Before getting into a haggling situation, better define your "rock Bottom price" before hand. This is the price you won't  budge from... a sort of last price based on your evaluation of the unit.

After little chatty's there are several stores also on the right side. On the other side of the street, you will find two or three more outlets. Try to visit all the outlets before buying any unit. There are gems you can luck into also in these outlets.

Offline mb88

• Collector
  • One Man's trash is another man's treasure
  • Liked:
« Reply #342 on: Apr 21, 2007 at 12:05 PM »
Good pm mga sirs!

I am a newcomer and it is my first time to see this thread.

Ang dami pala katulad ko.  ;D  I've been hooked eversince I set foot on the pier last June 2006. I've been buying mostly Yamaha speakers and Victor because I was very much impressed with them. I consider them great bargains--kulang lang talaga sa pogi points but sulit sa price.

It's nice to know that there are others too who share the same passion. I am very much excited to learn more from your insights and experiences on surplus vintage equipment

Offline allan1836

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #343 on: Apr 21, 2007 at 12:26 PM »
Welcome to pdvd mb88 !!!  If I'm not mistaken, Di ba ikaw un may 3pairs of NS-690.  :o Ako un ka text mo regarding the NS series speakers. Tnx again pala for the email regarding the yamaha stands !!  ;D

Offline mb88

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #344 on: Apr 21, 2007 at 02:25 PM »
Salamat allan1836! Ako nga yung may 3 ns 690. Sana makahanap pa tayo ng mga kapatid  :)
Update kita kasi on the look out pa din ako for more  ;D

Offline NMM1

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • DVD Addict
  • rock on!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #345 on: Apr 23, 2007 at 09:09 AM »
Good pm mga sirs!

I am a newcomer and it is my first time to see this thread.

Ang dami pala katulad ko.  ;D  I've been hooked eversince I set foot on the pier last June 2006. I've been buying mostly Yamaha speakers and Victor because I was very much impressed with them. I consider them great bargains--kulang lang talaga sa pogi points but sulit sa price.

It's nice to know that there are others too who share the same passion. I am very much excited to learn more from your insights and experiences on surplus vintage equipment

welcome to PDVD!!!!
Rega | Schiit| Puffin | Yamaha | Dynaudio | ProAc | Accuphase

Offline mb88

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #346 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 09:41 PM »
that I can't tell yet.  Those are one of the legendary speakers I have not auditioned yet.  It has a badge of its own through the years.  But once I do, you would know.   

Gud pm mga sirs,

I have a set of The Radio People LS3/5a clones. It was a serendipitous purchase. Didnt know what they were and didnt want to buy it at first because of their ugly appearance. It is now my favorite pair with my Sansui AU777D. I could  just imagine what the legendary BBC/Rogers LS3/5A would sound like. Would love to bring it for your test   

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #347 on: May 02, 2007 at 12:18 AM »
Salamat allan1836! Ako nga yung may 3 ns 690. Sana makahanap pa tayo ng mga kapatid  :)
Update kita kasi on the look out pa din ako for more  ;D

3 pairs of NS690? Whoa!!!
Those are great yamaha speakers.
How do u use them sir?
Have you tried them in a Home theater set up?

regards,
Foo

Offline mb88

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #348 on: May 02, 2007 at 10:32 PM »
Gud pm Lod Foo,

Yes, I have been using them for HT. Eliminates the need for subwoofers  :o. I've experimented with 2 front,  2 center and 2 surround but I've more or less settled with 4 front and 2 surround :) I like it better since I sometimes use it for audio with 2 sets running in unison. 4 NS 690s are a sonic treat  :)

Offline JakeCastle

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #349 on: Jun 02, 2007 at 02:56 PM »
up
HTPC, Dtx PL10, Dtx PL25, Dtx custom rear, DTX 4.15, Sakura 387A

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #350 on: Sep 20, 2007 at 11:58 AM »
Di na uso ata ang surplus speakers  ???

Sir ichie, baka gusto mo mag-comment?

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #351 on: Sep 20, 2007 at 12:21 PM »
The last few times i went to the pier surplus areas there were no good speakers in sight.
It seemed to me that the inflow of surplus speakers have really dwindled to almost nothing.
Also everytime i send a text message to my mole in the area, wala daw dating.

So i stopped going to the pier. Sayang lang oras at gasolina.  :'(

Well, while the going was good, i was able to acquire 3 pairs of victor sx3, an NS690, an onkyo 83aIII. That's all. Not really a great harvest.

I was luckier with amplifiers since i was able to get 2 VFET units, several Sansuis , a yamaha, a pioneer, No TOTL units for me though. Nice amps have dwindled to a trickle also.

Even the good CD Players have dried up. When was the last time anybody was able to get a Sony CDP ES unit?

Its a pity.
Foo

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
« Reply #352 on: Sep 20, 2007 at 03:13 PM »
I was told that vintage gear coming out of Japan nowadays are of better quality, including a lot of TOTLs. The problem is that the nouveau riche of Shanghai are getting them all at prices higher than new production China-made "audiophile" gear. The ongoing price range in Shanghai for those TOTL audio equipment is higher than used price in Japan -- such as those you find in Hifido and Yahoo Japan auction.

That means a pair of Yamaha NS-690 series that's quoted P5K here in Davao and sold at 30,000 yen in Tokyo is now pre-ordered at roughly $300 by Shanghai audiophiles. A Diatone DS-1000Z quoted at P7K her in Davao, and sold at 50,000 yen in Tokyo, is sold at $500 in Shanghai. That's what an importer here in Davao claimed.
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2007 at 03:20 PM by sandawa »
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline mb88

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #353 on: Oct 26, 2007 at 06:22 PM »
I havent been to the pier lately. No good news from the friendly traders. Looks like the good items are indeed being diverted elsewhere. Too bad for us. I am still on the look out for Yamaha NS 690s. Please let me know if you see one for sale or plan to let go or  want to trade other items for it. Kahit pa next year or the next 10 years  :) 

Offline adjell33

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 149
« Reply #354 on: Nov 03, 2007 at 08:03 PM »
 mb88, try mong mag visit sa little chatty, may yamaha ns690 sila dun baka hindi pa na bili. good luck.
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2007 at 08:21 PM by adjell33 »

Offline mb88

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #355 on: Nov 05, 2007 at 04:08 PM »
Thanks for info adjell. I will check it out later

Offline pinoyhd

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #356 on: Dec 04, 2007 at 11:51 PM »
sirs, gud pm

ano po ba comment nyo sa Diatone DS-53D
anybody may experience sa speaker na to?

would it match Marantz PM-54D for a vintage stereo setup?
how about sa Marantz SR4500 na receiver for stereo/music listening?

tnx.

Offline rodel5

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:

Offline pinoyhd

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #358 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 05:00 PM »
thank you roldel5, for the link.

Would this Diatone DS-53D be a worthy buy at P5,000?
Or would I be better off using a newer pair of bookshelf speakers for the same price range, say wharf diamond 9s?

I would be using the speakers for my Marantz PM-54D amp and/or Marantz SR4500 receiver.

thanks.

Offline Brian_mico

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Addict
  • Dakilang mangbabakal at magbobote
  • Liked:
« Reply #359 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 02:59 PM »
thank you roldel5, for the link.

Would this Diatone DS-53D be a worthy buy at P5,000?
Or would I be better off using a newer pair of bookshelf speakers for the same price range, say wharf diamond 9s?

I would be using the speakers for my Marantz PM-54D amp and/or Marantz SR4500 receiver.

thanks.

I think i saw this spkr  in Quiapo (fronting mamunluk restaurant) , selling for 4K...
it was paired to Denon pro logic amp.. for me when I heard it masyadong matalas yung mids
maybe beacause medyo mataas and sensitivty ng model na 'to..