Author Topic: Official Cayin Thread  (Read 227692 times)

Offline AudioAmplified

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Official Cayin Thread
« Reply #240 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 09:01 PM »
Rating in terms of "impact"  I'd rate your upgrade path as follows:
1) Pre-amp tubes - biggest difference and cheapest and easiest to change
2) driver tubes - since they are not expensive change them together with the pre amp tubes
3) Capacitors - we feel that this makes a bigger diff than the power tubes
4) Power tubes
5) If you are really into it we can change the internal wirings to silver but this is not commonly done.
6) power cord

Offline wilborn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #241 on: Apr 27, 2007 at 10:18 AM »
Thanks for the responses.

What preamp tubes should i use to replace the stock tubes of the A50T? Your recommendations will be highly appreciated.

Offline Adam Warlock

• DVD Addict
  • Audio is hobby not obsession
  • Liked:
« Reply #242 on: Apr 27, 2007 at 04:31 PM »
Sir'

Stock and Tube compliment of A50T:
4 EL34 shuguang or 4 EL34/6CA7EH (upon request) 
2 12AU7 EH
2 12AX7 EH

Best to replace pre-amp and input tube first, you'll be surprise nn the improvent in sound.
The following tubes have great result, for 12ax7 look for amperex, Tele or mullard.
For the 12au7 becuase of the availability RCA square getter/black plate or RCA clear top. There are other good NOS tube in the market but price is premium

Cheers

Offline Bogsle

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #243 on: Apr 28, 2007 at 09:57 AM »
One more difference I noted between the Arcam SS CDP and Cayin Tube CDP...

Talagang may OOOMMPH sa percussions instruments ang tube CDP. Ang bigat!

So far lamang pa rin ang Arcam sa on-spot imaging. As in halos kita mo yung outline ng performers and instruments on the stage and identify their location.

However, dito lamang ang Cayin CDT-23:

1. Mas masarap makinig sa Cayin because of its sweet and warm presentation. Very cozy ba.

2. Musical instruments sound so real. Damang dama yung hagod ng bow ni John Clayton on his bass sa track number 5 of Diana Krall's Live in Paris CD. Parang hinahagod ng pang hilod na sponge yung dibdib ko.

3. While on the piano, as Diana rolls her fingers on the keyboard you can feel the steel strings really being hit by the felt hammers and reverberating on the soundboard. Hayop!

4. Vocals sound sooooo good and alive, very much "fleshy", malambing and litaw na litaw.

Maaring preference ng sound na rin talaga ang naglalaro dito. Pero so far I'm enjoying the Cayin CDP more.

I still need to try some rock music on this CDT-23. Masubukan nga!

Abangan.
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2007 at 10:03 AM by Bogsle »

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #244 on: Apr 28, 2007 at 12:03 PM »
Listened to Creed, Guns and Roses, Dire Straits and Aerosmith.

I prefer to listen to them through the solid state output.

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Only Taxpayer's should Vote !
  • Liked:
« Reply #245 on: Apr 28, 2007 at 02:50 PM »
2. ............. Parang hinahagod ng pang hilod na sponge yung dibdib ko.

Abangan.

hehehe.  Sabi sa iyo kulang ka sa break in eh.... este yung cdp pala.  ;D
Only tax payer's should vote !

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #246 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 07:29 AM »
Ayos na sana eh, may review na ang CDT-23.

http://www.hayendaudio.nl/rs/testcdt23.pdf

Malas pa rin, kasi the review is written in Dutch...ngyee!

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #247 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 06:22 PM »
Sir,

We are glad to hear that you are enjoying your Cayin CDP.  To us that is the most gratifying part of our business. 

Cayin is stronger in Europe since the company does have its roots in Germany.  That is why they have countless reviews in German, Dutch, Italian, French and even Russian.  They have just penetrated the US late last year and so far they have at least 5 "english" reviews.. most of them on their power amps A-88T, A-70 and A-300B.  There is one review on the CDT-17A which compared it to a $10,000 player.  I am sure there will be more Cayin reviews in the near future. 

Speaking of reviews... I think reviews coming from real owners like yourself are a lot more credible than any magazine review.  Note that some of these are either paid for or the company has so many ads on the magazine that it would be impossible for the reviewer who is employed there to say anything negative.  However, we still encourage audiophiles to use magazines as a guide and still trust their ears when evaluating a particular equipment.  After all audio is very personal and unless you purchased your gears to show off, it is only worth it if you enjoy it.

Cheers and happy listening.   

Thank you again for sharing your cayin expirience.

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #248 on: May 13, 2007 at 11:05 AM »
Ahem ahem.  Meron balak si Butchoy. ano kaya yun? hehehe.

Offline butchoy8701

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Vacuum tube lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: May 14, 2007 at 09:24 PM »
Ahem ahem.  Meron balak si Butchoy. ano kaya yun? hehehe.

Pa silver/gold ng amp.. ;D more funds needed...

Le_stat and I compared his a70t with 860.  The monos can really make his moon river sing, i can't describe it. It is simply very natural sounding, the best.  Kaya Andrew, wag ka na mag-isip pa, kunin mo na monoblock ni Noel! ;D ;D ;D hahaha
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007 at 12:09 PM by butchoy8701 »

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #250 on: May 14, 2007 at 11:03 PM »
Pa silver/gold ng amp.. ;D more funds needed...

Le_stat and I compared the his a70t with 860.  The monos can really make is moon river sing, i can't describe it. It is simply very natural sounding, the best.  Kaya Andrew, wag ka na mag-isip pa, kunin mo na monoblock ni Noel! ;D ;D ;D hahaha

What do you think of the A70 that's Mundorfed with Silver/Gold for the benefit of those who have not heard it yet?  And, probably the result with an SC-6 ?  All honesty's required. hehehe. 

O ayan ha, alam mo na susunod na preamp tubes to look for after seeing my stash.  ;D

Monoblock... grrr... Evolution in the making.  ;)

Offline Music4Life

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #251 on: May 15, 2007 at 10:46 PM »
I've been out from this site for quite some time. I was posting on the "dark side (solid state)" before, till I sold all my SS gears. My old gears were B&W CM1, NAD C372 and NAD 521BEE. It evolved from selling my CDP first and bought Shanling CD T-80. Sold my CM1 and bought a second hand Crown Joule of Scientific Fidelity. Sold my C372 and bought Aragon 8008BB power amp. After six months, I sold my Shanling and bought brand new:

Cayin CDT-17a and Cayin SC-6LS preamp. I'd like to upload some photos but I don't know how. Can anybody help me.

These are my gears for my audio listening:

Cayin CDT-17a (upgraded the 2 chips to opa627ap and 2 Telefunken ECC88)
Cayin SC-6LS
Crown Joule bookshelf speaker
Aragon 8008BB Dual Mono Power Amp (SS)
Audioquest CV-6 with DBS speaker cable
Audioquest Jaguar with DBS RCA
Qunex Silver Spiral RCA
Some DIY powercord (Made in Hong Kong)

I am satisfied with the sound so far. I think my quest for "heavenly sound" will stop for a while, for now... ;D

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #252 on: May 16, 2007 at 02:18 PM »
To post pictures you have to first upload your pic onto a photosharing site.  photobucket.com works well for this purpose.  Then you copy the image link and past it on your message here.

:) 

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #253 on: May 17, 2007 at 09:30 AM »
Hi Music4Life.

Quote this post so you can see how the pic was inserted.

***********Edited*****************
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007 at 10:07 AM by bumblebee »

Offline Music4Life

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #254 on: May 17, 2007 at 09:57 AM »
Photos:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Offline Music4Life

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #255 on: May 17, 2007 at 11:31 AM »
Thanks alot, Bumblebee.  :D

Offline mrquery

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • I'm here and there....
  • Liked:
« Reply #256 on: May 20, 2007 at 12:48 AM »
Hello AudioAmplified,

I noticed that you are very helpful in giving advice in new comers like me. As you may read from my other post, i am using a leisure 2 sv paired with my ss/tube amp (azur 540A/A-50T respectively). Now on both amp, when it comes to jazz, light rock and male/female voices audio track this pair really satisfies my preference in music. Sad to say I don't limit myself to this type of music only. When it comes to rock, raggae, punk and other alternative tracks i feel that the speaker looses the drive to perform. I actually don't know how to describe it because i only have limited audio vocabulary.

Anyway in my listening preference it simply does not extend the bass, now my question is how will i extend the bass coming from the amp using this speakers. Will a sub augment the area which i find the speaker to lack? I asked this because i previously used a bookshelf + sub combo (azur540A + mf x10-d tube buffer + some cheap htib dvd player + wharf 9.2 + dtx 4.12  ;D) in my system and it gives a very tiring experience. Btw, my room's dimension is approx 4x4. Also if i may add i listen to my music virtually all over the house approx 8x12, syempre hindi na sakop garahe  ;D or forget about me listenning all over the house nalang give recommendation nalang po on my own space which is 4x4  ;D ;D ;D ;D

-cris
US Gears: Eico | Tannoy | Thorens | MHDT
KL. Gears: Arcam | Castle | Thorens
PH Gears: HK | Infinty

Offline edwin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • My day is not complete without music
  • Liked:
« Reply #257 on: May 20, 2007 at 08:34 AM »
Hello AudioAmplified,

I noticed that you are very helpful in giving advice in new comers like me. As you may read from my other post, i am using a leisure 2 sv paired with my ss/tube amp (azur 540A/A-50T respectively). Now on both amp, when it comes to jazz, light rock and male/female voices audio track this pair really satisfies my preference in music. Sad to say I don't limit myself to this type of music only. When it comes to rock, raggae, punk and other alternative tracks i feel that the speaker looses the drive to perform. I actually don't know how to describe it because i only have limited audio vocabulary.

Anyway in my listening preference it simply does not extend the bass, now my question is how will i extend the bass coming from the amp using this speakers. Will a sub augment the area which i find the speaker to lack? I asked this because i previously used a bookshelf + sub combo (azur540A + mf x10-d tube buffer + some cheap htib dvd player + wharf 9.2 + dtx 4.12  ;D) in my system and it gives a very tiring experience. Btw, my room's dimension is approx 4x4. Also if i may add i listen to my music virtually all over the house approx 8x12, syempre hindi na sakop garahe  ;D or forget about me listenning all over the house nalang give recommendation nalang po on my own space which is 4x4  ;D ;D ;D ;D

-cris

If you really are missing the bass of your system, a subwoofer could be the answer. Whatever you do, a bookshelf speaker with small drivers will not be able to give the bass you are looking for in playing rock/raggae/punk music (although this could be sudjective, and still depends on one's preference on how much bass he wants from his system).

You could ask opinion on those people who are using subwoofer in their 2 channel set-up.

You might consider looking at subwoofers normally desighned for 2 channel set-up like REL or Bagend. You might be amazed if set-up right, it will not only be your bass that will improve, but including your mids and highs.

LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #258 on: May 20, 2007 at 11:47 PM »
Mrquery,

Here is our humble comment on your set-up.

1) Your tube + small bookshelf monitor set-up is geared towards vocals, jazz and such music.  That system will not be optimized for rock and roll.  Sorry to disappoint you but there is no system that can play all types of music optimally (of course there are systems that can play all of them well but there is always something that each system will play particularly better).  There will be sacrifices so we always try to understand what our customers listen to most of the time and tailor our recommendation to that preference.  However, here are a few area where we can improve your rock and roll on.

2) Please fax/email us your room set-up.  The square configuration could be a little tricky since it can result to cancellation of certain signals; thus you do not hear the full range.  We need other data such as wall material, ceiling height as well as sitting position.  Then we will run those variables using our simulation software and provide you some optimized set-up suggestions.  Hopefully this will help bring out the bass you have been looking for.

3) We can use cost efficient tweaks to imrpove your system.  Change of pre-amp tubes to those that are faster sounding, caps upgrade to faster caps or we can use silver cables ... all these can be done to speed up the music and improve bass.

4) Adding a sub is doable...  if you wish we have an Aurum sub that you can home audition to see if it addresses your need for the extra extension.  Check out the SW-10 Aurum sub. www.audioamplified.com

5) If you listen to a diverse range maybe a tube + ss CD player will come in handy. The Cayin CD-15A or CD-23A comes with an ss and a tube out.  If you like to rock plug it in ss and if you like to mellow then use the tube out  :)   We also have an amp that will allow you to tube roll 4 different types (EL-34, 6CA7, KT-88, 6550) but let us start working with your current system first.  Why spend more if we can find ways to get what you want without extra expenses. 

Visit us if you have time and we can talk in person.  Easier because i can draw different set-ups on paper.

Offline Music4Life

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #259 on: May 21, 2007 at 08:27 PM »
Hi Mrquery,

Check your PM, I reply to your query.

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #260 on: May 22, 2007 at 08:12 AM »
Didn't get your pm sir.  please resend.  Thanks

Offline Music4Life

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #261 on: May 22, 2007 at 12:30 PM »
I sent it to mrquery.

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #262 on: May 22, 2007 at 02:25 PM »
oppsss hehehe. didnt read it fully. my bad   ;D  kakahiya yun ah

Offline Music4Life

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #263 on: May 22, 2007 at 10:43 PM »
No problem. Actually, I just echoing what you said earlier regarding his gears and choice of music. It's just that, I experienced having a B/S speaker and a subwoofer to give body to the music.

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #264 on: May 23, 2007 at 08:10 PM »
Yeah... a sub does add body :) no doubt.  Was just trying to suggest ways for him to get his bass without spending on a sub.  :D  Medyo mali nga noh since audio shop pala kami and we need the sales hahaha. 

Offline mrquery

• Collector
  • I'm here and there....
  • Liked:
« Reply #265 on: May 25, 2007 at 12:20 AM »
Yeah... a sub does add body :) no doubt.  Was just trying to suggest ways for him to get his bass without spending on a sub.  :D  Medyo mali nga noh since audio shop pala kami and we need the sales hahaha. 

Hello AudioAmplified,

On the contrary i find your post to be more realistic and helpful. Of course a certain shop will always try to suggest their line of product (which i believe is only right) due to the fact that you yourself trust your units. For me, your post and suggestion guided me on the right path on achieving my preferred system rather than being sorry in the end. Thus saving my hard earned money, so keep it up AudioAmplified, you were very helpful in every way.

- cris

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #266 on: May 25, 2007 at 08:15 PM »
Thank you...  we do hope that these satisfied customers can endorse us to their friends and help us grow our business in a positive and mutually beneficial way.  No point misleading people just to close a sale since we were also once audiophiles and we know how bad it feels to get a system with your hard earned money just to know that you have spent it wrongly.

Offline Hear_me_shout

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • "Kakisigan ko'y bunga ng isang sumpa"
  • Liked:
« Reply #267 on: May 29, 2007 at 07:42 PM »
Mga Sir,

I'm really firm that my next upgrade would be for a tube, integrated or separate amps. This is a result of my recent auditions and music preference. While putting and saving funds, I would like to have references and probably learn something about tubes. Can you recommend articles that I can read on?

Thanks.  ;)

Offline mrquery

• Collector
  • I'm here and there....
  • Liked:
« Reply #268 on: May 29, 2007 at 10:49 PM »
Thank you...  we do hope that these satisfied customers can endorse us to their friends and help us grow our business in a positive and mutually beneficial way.  No point misleading people just to close a sale since we were also once audiophiles and we know how bad it feels to get a system with your hard earned money just to know that you have spent it wrongly.

will do  ;D

No point misleading people just to close a sale since we were also once audiophiles and we know how bad it feels to get a system with your hard earned money just to know that you have spent it wrongly. - totally agree

Offline cybermms

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #269 on: Jun 08, 2007 at 10:06 PM »
Please click this link and experience more of Cayin:

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=67229.msg697465#msg697465