Author Topic: Mission speakers  (Read 307654 times)

Offline random

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • ProjectD
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Mission speakers
« Reply #930 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 12:46 PM »
mga sir, magkano na ba ngayon ang M33 at M34?
thanks!  ;D

Offline 5Speed

• Collector
  • It's me..
  • Liked:
« Reply #931 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 12:58 PM »
I was recently told by an audiophile about how good the M72 is, so I brought out my shelved M72 from our storage room last weekend to compare it side by side with the M34 (with HKardon 630).

And my oh my! Now I have respect for this little bookshelf! The details were outstanding and really loved the sound of it. It just wasnt there when it was connected to my Yamaha several months ago. Even the bass was astoundingly good for a bookshelf speaker when I set it to 2 channel listening (at large setting with no subs).

Kaya pala this audiophile told me never to sell this M72. Curious tuloy ako kung how the M74 sounds  ;D.

I AGREE!!!!! O0

I also own an M72i...and I agree, maganda nga syang tumunog....provided you have a good wires for it... na-compare ko na to sa B&W 300 series na bookshelf and parang mas gusto ko ang tunog ng M72i....kaya malamang eh for keeps ko na tong M72i, iba na kasi ang owner ng mission company kaya malamang eh maiba na ang tunog ng speakers nila...hehehe

but previously, nung bago pa yung speakers ko, medyo di ako satisfied sa tunog nya, muntik ko na tuloy palitan but me nag-advice sa akin na maganda raw yung speaker ko so I keep it for a while...then nung ma-break-in na sya at makabili ako ng magandang wires, ayun ganda na ng tunog...dami ko na ring ginawa don para ma-test lang kung maiiba nga ang tunog and soundstage...andyan na manghiram ako ng magandang cables for bi-wiring purpose....naiiba nga ng konti yung tunog nya, tapos positioning sa bahay, malapit sa wall or malayo, lagyan ng foam yung port sa likod or wala (kasama sa package yung foam).....hehehe kaya lang matrabaho....pero me nababago nga pala talaga.....hehehe yan ang nagagawa ng madalas tumambay dito...napapa-eksperiment ng wala sa oras.....:)

now naka-bi-amped yung M72i ko...medyo mas brighter syang tumunog....sarap makinig ng mga insturmental at jazz and blues na music...:):)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #932 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 02:22 PM »
What wires do you use bro? I am still looking for a better cable for the HF that could bring out more details on the M34 and the M72.

The best combination w/c I appreciated for my M34 was Ixos 11awg 6006 (LF) biwired with Audio pro 16awg (HF). The music produced by this combo lulls me to sleep! and I seldom fall asleep on anything (long trips, puyat, music, etc) !

When I changed the HF to Genesis 12awg, the sound was different and I preferred the Audio Pro.  Any suggestions? TIA

Offline Oloap

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #933 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 04:01 PM »

Hi to all mission users. Just want your opinion(s)... im currently looking for new speakers (mission m34i, bw602s3, MA B4, AE Evo 3). Please tell me, why would I choose Mission over the others mentioned given all things equal?

The more I audition, the more confused i become.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #934 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 04:47 PM »
M34i has some awards, click here.. The 2 month old M34 I bought was from an audiophile who was waiting for the M34i. I thought, it must be that good for him to really wait for the M34i and sell his 2 month old M34 to me at a loss..

M34 vs MA b4:
Like I said in this thread, the MA b4 has better bass. IMO the M34 has more detail. But I would choose the M34 bec of it looks great. I know its "mababaw", but the looks is a factor for me. Till now, the M34 still takes my breath away when I see it w/ the clothes, ay este grills off :). I had a chance to upgrade to a MA S-6 but in the end, me & my wife decided to retain the Mission & I just set up the S-6 for my sister..in part for the same reason...da looks ;D

M34 vs B&W 602 S3 :

I would prefer floorstanders to bookshelf anytime. The cost of the stands would sometimes make it more practical to buy the floorstander instead. The guy who sold me the MA S-6 also sold his B&W recently because it was "matigas" for audio. Good for HT though. And good pogi points too  ;D.

M34 vs AE :
Havent auditioned the AE, so no comment. Teka, meron...I still like the M34 form factor  ;D

All in all, its not just the looks, it sounds GREAT too I also absolutely love the sound of the M34 for my listening taste, I am very very happy with it, specially with my new HK receiver, I have never heard it sing like this.  I havent found any speaker within this price range that sould make me want to upgrade to it. And for the price I got it, I wouldnt complain.

The improved (and more expensive) M34i will probably sound better. But I was told that the M34i shipment still has not arrived, I thought it was due last April pa.
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2005 at 05:00 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline 5Speed

• Collector
  • It's me..
  • Liked:
« Reply #935 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 05:19 PM »
What wires do you use bro? I am still looking for a better cable for the HF that could bring out more details on the M34 and the M72.

The best combination w/c I appreciated for my M34 was Ixos 11awg 6006 (LF) biwired with Audio pro 16awg (HF). The music produced by this combo lulls me to sleep! and I seldom fall asleep on anything (long trips, puyat, music, etc) !

When I changed the HF to Genesis 12awg, the sound was different and I preferred the Audio Pro.  Any suggestions? TIA

Right now, I am using Tara Labs cable..... I forgot the brand of the banana plugs though...

Offline Oloap

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #936 on: Aug 27, 2005 at 12:57 PM »
Sir Matzter,

Thanks for the input. Im also planning to power the speakers with a Harman Kardon 630. This is a simpler choice.

Just curious, what should be the difference between the m34 and m34i that your audiophile friend is willing to sell his m34 at a loss?

Offline old_age

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Addict
  • "keep off the grass especially when wet"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #937 on: Aug 27, 2005 at 09:28 PM »
i have both the M74 and m72 used in different systems. (please check the photo of the set-up in the HT Photo Gallery thread)

the M72 is used in HT with the M7C2, M7DS and M7C1i for a 6.1 system.  Wired singly with Ixos 6006 with Ixos 106 optical interconnect. 

the M74 is used in tube audio system, biwired with Ecosse CS2.3 matched with Ecosse The BestBoy interconnect.

My opinion for each:  the M74 has rounded bass and detailed mid and hi when used with Duntonic Du-2i (with 4 stock power tubes-Electro Harmonix, 1 pair sylvania 12au7 long plate and 1 pc telefunken 12ax7 long palte).  What i like about the M74 is its high sensitivity of 91, kayang kayang iwasiwas ng 12-watter PP tube amp, well, the DU-2i is well-known for its unbelievable power, parang hindi 12 watts.  i listen only at 9 0'clock volume, depending on the quality and gain of the recording of the cd software.  I like the bass of the M74, akala mo laging naka-sub.  Most of my visitors thought open ang sub when we play some music.

the M72 when connected to the DU-2i (biwired with Ecosse) exhibited warmer tone than the M74 but lacks the deep bass that i loved with the M74. BUT, the bass of the M72 is very competitive if compared with other speakers in its class.  Generally, if you will have it in a blind test, you'll thought it's a big speaker.  Big sound in a small box.  Though i need to increase the volume a bit as the M72 is only 89dB.

in HT application, the M72 also excel, wide sounding and dynamic wired singly with Ixos 6006.  Though I find it smoother when biwired with Ixos 6006 on the LF and Ecosse CS2.3 on HF, together with the M7C2, but lose some bass a bit (but you have the sub to supplement or cover the LF needs).

So, take your pick.  You'll never go wrong in either model you choose.  It depends on how you will put them in use with the right cables and wires.

M72 is hard to come by nowadays in the 2nd hand market because it is really an all-rounder speaker, in HT or Tube, and is for keeps.

Happy hunting!
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2005 at 10:19 AM by new_age »
La Germania Single Burner
Panasonic Washing Machine
Hanabishi Floorstanding Electric Fan

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #938 on: Aug 28, 2005 at 08:47 AM »
Had a chance to own m73 this speaker have good detail and tight bass i paired it with HK and NAD AVR's before. i notice that its tweeter's little bit sharp but match it with proper wire like Eccose 2.3 to tame and role out some unwanted sharpness and you'll enjoy every minute of it.

NAD and mission IMHO is very good match. :)
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2005 at 08:50 AM by hans adriane »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #939 on: Aug 29, 2005 at 10:06 AM »
Just curious, what should be the difference between the m34 and m34i that your audiophile friend is willing to sell his m34 at a loss?

M34 is 91 db sensitivity, M34i is 92 db sensitivity. The 1 db difference apparently mattered to him a lot.

Offline old_age

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Addict
  • "keep off the grass especially when wet"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #940 on: Aug 29, 2005 at 07:29 PM »
the 1 dB difference also counts to me specially in low powered tube application. though mission speakers are easy to drive (at least for the M70 series i tried, don't know with the M30s), i remember 3 nights ago, a 12-watter PP tube amp drove the M71 with 88dB with ease, at 10 o'clock volume di na kami magkarinigan.

keep on exploring!
La Germania Single Burner
Panasonic Washing Machine
Hanabishi Floorstanding Electric Fan

Offline acg

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #941 on: Sep 03, 2005 at 07:53 AM »
 what do you guys think of Mission M53? for hometheater? music? nice thing is its magnetically shielded but only 2.5 way and its rear ported. would there be ay problems if one were to install it in a "hide in a cabinet" setup with the empty space is filled with fiberfill or eggcrate foam? will it affect sound quality?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #942 on: Sep 05, 2005 at 10:10 AM »
Wow, "hide in a cabinet"?!?!

Golly, I have always wanted the M53 for its looks. Been drooling for it since I started HT. Unfortunately, the price is not within my budget so I settled for the M3 series. The M5 series at almost the same price with the Volare, if I am correct.

I cant believe that you will just hide it behind a cabinet.  Sayaaang ;D

Try the Volare 63, its a multi awarded speaker within the same price range.

« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2005 at 10:14 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #943 on: Sep 05, 2005 at 01:44 PM »
what do you guys think of Mission M53? for hometheater? music? nice thing is its magnetically shielded but only 2.5 way and its rear ported. would there be ay problems if one were to install it in a "hide in a cabinet" setup with the empty space is filled with fiberfill or eggcrate foam? will it affect sound quality?

For sure it will change the sound quality.  The new enclosure will act as a baffle.  Better or worse, let your ears decide. 

Offline acg

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #944 on: Sep 05, 2005 at 05:08 PM »
hi matzter, you're right about M53's looks. they are beautifully designed enclosures. I really liked the rosewood finish. I agree with you its sayang to hide these beauties. I decided not to get them because of the rear porting. The room is quite small and i would like to place the fronts close to the wall.

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #945 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 05:59 AM »
Matzter,

Nice meeting you bro... Your M34 was a surprised performer. :) :) :) :)

Offline kid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • Certified Kwela Boys
  • Liked:
« Reply #946 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 09:26 AM »
mat,

nice meeting you too pare.

Offline Oloap

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #947 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 09:30 AM »

Hey Matt,

So how did you find the shootout? Would you still go for M34 against the Dali? I personally crossed out Wharf from my list. Workmanship and style, handsdown, i'll go for mission. Review naman dyan.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #948 on: Sep 07, 2005 at 03:29 PM »
So how did you find the shootout? Would you still go for M34 against the Dali? I personally crossed out Wharf from my list. Workmanship and style, handsdown, i'll go for mission. Review naman dyan.

The shootout was great, lots of friendly pdvd members made us feel at home right away. Nice meeting you PK!  :)

The speakers were all great, just like Hans said in another post, its like ice cream in different flavors, masarap lahat. Each one has its strengths and weaknesses. If you have one of those at home, you wont complain about their properties, unless you compare em side by side with other speakers like in the shootout.

Anyway for the comparison, I didnt like the Wharfe cuz of its huge size, its got no place in my HT area. The price is tempting, but I heard some harshness when playing some of the  tracks. And minsan, ngongo compared to the details of the other 2.

Dali: looks absolutely pogi, almost looks like real wood if you dont look close enough. It was great for music and had tight bass. But, di bi-wirable...So I would still go for the Missions than the Dali. And of course, I also prefer the bipolar surrounds very much, which the Dali doesnt have.

Mission: a participant described the Mission as "surprisingly, an all around performer". I still preferred the sound of the Mission, since I was used to it (call me biased  ;D). But the bass was a bit boomy with the initial wire used at first, but the boominess was tamed with master Hans' Ixos 303 cable.

Honestly, aside from meeting fellow members, listening to the speakers, etc. One of my goals there was also to reaffirm to myself that I made a good decision in buying the Missions (and wont need to upgrade anymore, kung baga, for keeps na yung floorstanders ko). And in the end, it turns out.. I did make a good decision with the Missions...  ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2005 at 10:40 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #949 on: Sep 07, 2005 at 05:48 PM »
matzter,

Its Ixos 606 Pakora... see you next session. ;)
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2005 at 07:10 PM by hans adriane »

Offline cybermms

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #950 on: Sep 10, 2005 at 08:41 PM »
Try the Mission 78's, especially the SE series. They sound even better. The few remaining stocks are now on sale at less 30%.

Check it out at

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=41677.0

cyber
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2005 at 08:41 AM by cybermms »

Offline Happy Dads Vinyl Shop

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • vinyls are forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #951 on: Sep 14, 2005 at 02:14 PM »
I have an oldschool M780's at home...still loving it and can even compare it to speakers at thrice it's price. :)
female vocals are always a winner with these speakers. These speakers howeverdont like to go too loud. :)

medyo power hungry din since it doesnt mate much even with the powerful NADC350.

kudos to missioin owners! :)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #952 on: Sep 15, 2005 at 04:27 PM »
I also recently acquired a pair of UK made Mission 731i for my 6th & 7th channel, its front ported and small, perfect for back surrounds. I connected them to my spare bose passive sub and I sometimes set my HK to use the 731i as zone 2 speakers when I want to listen to bookshelf speakers (mas detailed kasi). It was surprisingly sibilant and was good for vocals, but it lacked bass, but its understandable for its size.

Offline degro01

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #953 on: Sep 17, 2005 at 10:39 AM »
Hi Mission Lovers!

I have M73i and M7c2 for my main and center speakers.  However, I still have a pair of Yamaha NS200 floor standing speakers from my old setup that I am using as surround speakers.

Now I seam to be having this urge of buying a pair of M74i to replace my main speakers then will move my M73i from main to surround.  I would then eliminate the old yamaha speakers and will have all-mission setup.

Ang ugat nitong kalokohan kong ito ay dahil nasira ang subwoofer ko.  And since I listen to music more often than watching DVD's, parang I prefer to buy a new pair of main speakers with better bass than to buy a new sub.

Tama kaya itong iniisip ko?  ;D

Hindi pa ba phased out ang M74?  Btw, I'm using Marantz 6300 bought from Sonny Tuazon years ago - pati ang speakers ko. 

Thanks!

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #954 on: Sep 17, 2005 at 12:32 PM »
A good sub well integrated with a pair of bookshelf speakers can beat the hell out of any full-range floorstander in stereo music playback.  Except perhaps from some of the less compromised floorstanders that unfortunately cost a lot.  But why bother when you can achieve the best results with a sub that is seamlessly integrated with bookshelf speakers?  You just have to work on getting the semaless integration.  ;D

It is a fact that great bass and great stereo imaging are on opposite sides when it comes to speaker placement.  Floorstanders will compromise.  Excellent stereo imaging can only be achieved as you go farther from room boundaries.  OTH great bass can only be achieved as you go closer to room boundaries.  So go figure.

In addition, the best sounding stereo systems are often heard from properly bi-amped set-ups.  Using a good powered sub for bass and good bookshelf speakers for the rest is an example of bi-amping.  It's not easy nor simple.  But properly done, it is the most cost-effective set-up in terms of getting the best possible stereo imaging in your listening position and the best bass.  Just a thought.
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2005 at 12:35 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #955 on: Sep 17, 2005 at 03:44 PM »

Hindi pa ba phased out ang M74? 

M74 is phased out. Its quite hard to find nowadays. If people sell this, they usually sell their whole 5.1 setup.

Offline degro01

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #956 on: Sep 17, 2005 at 05:26 PM »
Thanks av_phile1 and matzter!

Will consider your thoughts.  Probably I'll visit Sonny T. to look into his Jamo Subwoofer.  Maganda daw tunog at porma.

Sayang phased out na M74.  Gusto ko lang sana maging magkakamukha yung main at surround ko. :(

Thanks!

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
new mission
« Reply #957 on: Nov 20, 2005 at 04:17 PM »
Hi all,

i started this thread in 2002, when i first got interested in HT.  As a result of my fascination, I ended up with the following:

Onkyo 494 receiver
Mission M73(fronts)
Mission M7C1(center)

I was planning to get the M70 for rear speakers, but i never got around to it as my budget didn't permit it at the moment. 

Now, however, i am now planning to get rear speakers.  From what i've read in this thread, the M7 series has been phased out.  What's compatible with my system kaya?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: new mission
« Reply #958 on: Nov 21, 2005 at 10:10 AM »
Hi all,

i started this thread in 2002, when i first got interested in HT.  As a result of my fascination, I ended up with the following:

Onkyo 494 receiver
Mission M73(fronts)
Mission M7C1(center)

I was planning to get the M70 for rear speakers, but i never got around to it as my budget didn't permit it at the moment. 

Now, however, i am now planning to get rear speakers.  From what i've read in this thread, the M7 series has been phased out.  What's compatible with my system kaya?

I  have seen people selling their M7 series bipolar DS speakers in the buy & sell section.

Offline 5Speed

• Collector
  • It's me..
  • Liked:
« Reply #959 on: Nov 21, 2005 at 04:36 PM »
ako naman naghahanap ng M7C2 center speaker... balak kong ilipat yung M7C1 sa likod, pang rear center speaker...

wala na akong makitang M7c2 sa mga stores.... mukang 2nd hand na lang ang pag-asa ko....:(