Author Topic: T-amp Discussion Thread  (Read 295878 times)

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
Re: T-amp Discussion Thread
« Reply #1080 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 07:24 PM »
^ sir san ka nakabili ng ferrite rings? other sizes available? tia

madami sa bangketa ronquillo quiapo at eleshop ronquillo din parallel sa raon.

@sir caohyde, do you accept dayton t-amp stealth-modification job?

Offline caohyde

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • how now brown cao...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1081 on: Aug 31, 2010 at 10:25 PM »
sir ojofool,

in as much as i'd love to mod your amp, it was a freak day and i had time to do it. unfortunately, wala masyadong free time these days. it's actually a bit easy if you're handy with a soldering iron. yung layout lang ng new components and mounting ang mahirap dun.

cheers!

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1082 on: Sep 01, 2010 at 08:32 PM »
sir ojofool,

in as much as i'd love to mod your amp, it was a freak day and i had time to do it. unfortunately, wala masyadong free time these days. it's actually a bit easy if you're handy with a soldering iron. yung layout lang ng new components and mounting ang mahirap dun.

cheers!

ok lang tnx sir caohyde. wala pa naman ako bago t-amps for modification.
do you have the diagram showing which caps are to be replace? kaya na ng cp tech. hinangin.

enjoy the flea-powered amp sound!  :)

Offline caohyde

• DVD Addict
  • how now brown cao...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1083 on: Sep 01, 2010 at 11:20 PM »
ok lang tnx sir caohyde. wala pa naman ako bago t-amps for modification.
do you have the diagram showing which caps are to be replace? kaya na ng cp tech. hinangin.

enjoy the flea-powered amp sound!  :)

yes, sir. kaya ng cellphone tech yan. i got it off of diyaudio.com here are the images...

i used sanyo caps instead of auricaps or blackgate (low budget eh. :D) for the signal and stiffening caps, pero meron mga solen sa amx in rob pioneer around p320 each iirc.

sonically, imho, okay sya for jazz vocals and near field listening. if you want a bit more oomph, you'd want to stick with high powered amps or mag bi-amp ka with active crossover. use the t-amp for the mid-highs crossed over at ~80hz tapos sub should play a bit lower. i'm experimenting with car audio stuff now for this. :)

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1084 on: Sep 02, 2010 at 08:11 AM »
yes, sir. kaya ng cellphone tech yan. i got it off of diyaudio.com here are the images...

i used sanyo caps instead of auricaps or blackgate (low budget eh. :D) for the signal and stiffening caps, pero meron mga solen sa amx in rob pioneer around p320 each iirc.

sonically, imho, okay sya for jazz vocals and near field listening. if you want a bit more oomph, you'd want to stick with high powered amps or mag bi-amp ka with active crossover. use the t-amp for the mid-highs crossed over at ~80hz tapos sub should play a bit lower. i'm experimenting with car audio stuff now for this. :)

sir i have the sonic impact t-amps. pareho ba ang board layout nila ng dayton?

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #1085 on: Sep 02, 2010 at 08:20 AM »
sir i have the sonic impact t-amps. pareho ba ang board layout nila ng dayton?

bai, i guess they are the same banana basing on the amp case ;D so audio1st classic mod is applicable. my hula2 lang

namimigay pa ba ng caps si clarity? heads up sa mga gusto ng libre at personalized caps ;D

Offline romymartinez

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1086 on: Sep 02, 2010 at 02:54 PM »
Tale of 4 t-amps

I have the opportunity to own the following:
1. Trends Audio TA-10.1 (stock) (around 6wpc)
2. Kingrex T20u  (upgraded with Auricap input caps) (around 8wpc)
3. Virtue Audio One (around 30wpc with standard power supply, 55wpc with upgraded power supply)
4. virtue Audio Two (same rating as Virtue Audio One)

The Trends TA-10.1 (SRP $150) uses the same TA2024 chip as the Dayton (SRP $60) in thick aluminum casing, standard RCA inputs, standard speaker binding posts and 36VA power supply. The Kingrex T20u (SRP $260) uses TA2020 chip with USB input. Built quality is better than the Trends. Stock power supply is similarly rated at 36VA. The Virutue Audio One (SRP $270) and Two (SRP $380) have better built quality than the Kingrex. Virute Two, compared to One, uses Auricap input caps, higher rated supply/power caps, and better binding posts/RCA inputs. Both uses TC2000 as processor and one power chip per channel (TK2050 for One and DX2100 for Two).

Soundwise, all t-amps are more similar than different. Detailed, transparent, neutral. My vintage SS amps (Sansui AU-D907F, Trio KA-7300) sounded less detailed compared to them. Sir alexg's KT88 SE amp (around 8wpc) seems more tranaprent and detailed though than the t-amps Of the four t-amps, the Kingrex seems warmest, follwed by Virtue Tow, then Virtue One, and Trends is brightest.

With Fostex FE167 full-range drivers in Half Chang speaker enclosure (94db) even the Trends TA-10.1 can drive them to reasonable loud levels. With small mid-sensitive two-way bookshelfs like PSB Image 1B (89db) and Tannoy Fusion F1, the Trends seems OK at low-moderate volume. The Kingrex is fine at slightly higher volume. And with hard to drive two-way bookshelfs like the Celestion 100 (84db), Celestion 3000 (86db) and Dynaudio Audience 52 (86db) the Trends and Kingrex are understandably inadequate.
Both Virtues can drive these speakers to reasonably loud levels
Virtue One and Two are almost similar, though the Virtue Two seems slightly better in all sound departments. Both sounded better with upgraded power supply.

« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2010 at 03:07 PM by romymartinez »

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1087 on: Sep 03, 2010 at 11:49 AM »
Tale of 4 t-amps

I have the opportunity to own the following:
1. Trends Audio TA-10.1 (stock) (around 6wpc)
2. Kingrex T20u  (upgraded with Auricap input caps) (around 8wpc)
3. Virtue Audio One (around 30wpc with standard power supply, 55wpc with upgraded power supply)
4. virtue Audio Two (same rating as Virtue Audio One)

The Trends TA-10.1 (SRP $150) uses the same TA2024 chip as the Dayton (SRP $60) in thick aluminum casing, standard RCA inputs, standard speaker binding posts and 36VA power supply. The Kingrex T20u (SRP $260) uses TA2020 chip with USB input. Built quality is better than the Trends. Stock power supply is similarly rated at 36VA. The Virutue Audio One (SRP $270) and Two (SRP $380) have better built quality than the Kingrex. Virute Two, compared to One, uses Auricap input caps, higher rated supply/power caps, and better binding posts/RCA inputs. Both uses TC2000 as processor and one power chip per channel (TK2050 for One and DX2100 for Two).

Soundwise, all t-amps are more similar than different. Detailed, transparent, neutral. My vintage SS amps (Sansui AU-D907F, Trio KA-7300) sounded less detailed compared to them. Sir alexg's KT88 SE amp (around 8wpc) seems more tranaprent and detailed though than the t-amps Of the four t-amps, the Kingrex seems warmest, follwed by Virtue Tow, then Virtue One, and Trends is brightest.

With Fostex FE167 full-range drivers in Half Chang speaker enclosure (94db) even the Trends TA-10.1 can drive them to reasonable loud levels. With small mid-sensitive two-way bookshelfs like PSB Image 1B (89db) and Tannoy Fusion F1, the Trends seems OK at low-moderate volume. The Kingrex is fine at slightly higher volume. And with hard to drive two-way bookshelfs like the Celestion 100 (84db), Celestion 3000 (86db) and Dynaudio Audience 52 (86db) the Trends and Kingrex are understandably inadequate.
Both Virtues can drive these speakers to reasonably loud levels
Virtue One and Two are almost similar, though the Virtue Two seems slightly better in all sound departments. Both sounded better with upgraded power supply.

for me, virtue one +90w psu is the best all-rounder since its 30wpc drives dynamic speakers well.

but with my speakers, the stealthmodded sonic-impact t-amp used in dual-mono config is best. at the price point (and even higher), mids and hf is excellent.  caps used are a pair of aerovox 2uf and a pair of mundorf supreme 2.2uf for each t-amp.
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2010 at 11:52 AM by ojofool »

Offline romymartinez

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1088 on: Sep 03, 2010 at 12:26 PM »
Hi Sir ojofool, musta na? OT: I got the V2 from Sir Raygun just last Monday. Had a nice chat over cup of coffee.  Perhaps I'll keep both V1 and V2 muna. These are keepers. ;D

What I find common to these t-amps is that they seem to need long break-in. Even Sir Raygun;s V2 seems not fully broken in yet.

Also t-amps seems to respond well with input capacitor upgrade. When the input caps of Kingrex was upgraded from Bennic to Auricap, the improvement was not suble at all.

« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2010 at 01:12 PM by romymartinez »

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1089 on: Sep 04, 2010 at 11:37 AM »
Hi Sir ojofool, musta na? OT: I got the V2 from Sir Raygun just last Monday. Had a nice chat over cup of coffee.  Perhaps I'll keep both V1 and V2 muna. These are keepers. ;D

What I find common to these t-amps is that they seem to need long break-in. Even Sir Raygun;s V2 seems not fully broken in yet.

Also t-amps seems to respond well with input capacitor upgrade. When the input caps of Kingrex was upgraded from Bennic to Auricap, the improvement was not suble at all.

enjoy your virtues  :)

simple capacitor upgrade worked wonders for my t-amps. aint it nice, no need for tube rolling ;D

Offline marvin13

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1090 on: Sep 09, 2010 at 02:07 PM »
gud pm mga sir! tanong lng kc nag hahanap ako ng T amp for my audio mag set up sna ako, ang gagamitin ko n speaker mission MV4 88DB ok lng ba kung dayton T amp ang gamitin ko? may nririnig kc ako dpat daw 90DB ang speaker n gagamitin para madali drive.

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1091 on: Sep 10, 2010 at 01:18 PM »
gud pm mga sir! tanong lng kc nag hahanap ako ng T amp for my audio mag set up sna ako, ang gagamitin ko n speaker mission MV4 88DB ok lng ba kung dayton T amp ang gamitin ko? may nririnig kc ako dpat daw 90DB ang speaker n gagamitin para madali drive.

kung hapi ka na sa soundquality na naririnig mo, well and good!

imho, stock t-amp very best match with 96dbup speakers. best with 93db speakers.

Offline marvin13

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1092 on: Sep 11, 2010 at 11:33 AM »
tnx sir ojofool! try ko muna sa mission ko n MV4 ung dayton T amp 15wpc, paghrap tlaga kailangan ibenta cguro ung MV4, ang magandang match yta dun s t amp e ung paradigm atom V5 according to forum. mhirap n kc magkamali pagdating sa sounds....dpat may payo ng expert.  ;D

Offline paolorafael

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1093 on: Sep 18, 2010 at 12:12 PM »
good pm po. anong t-amp po pede gamitin sa wharfedale 10.1? thanks po.

Offline boogieman9092000

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1094 on: Sep 21, 2010 at 04:34 PM »
Guys, what do you think of this?

planning to import this item, what do you think guys? tentative price is 4000pesos for each

here are the specs

vacuum tube amplifier              
Real 2.1 channel output            
Main channel 80W*2

Vacuum tube amplifier
with USB and SD
Impedance:80hms
output power:120w
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2010 at 05:00 PM by boogieman9092000 »

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #1095 on: Sep 22, 2010 at 08:11 AM »

planning to import this item, what do you think guys? tentative price is 4000pesos for each

here are the specs

vacuum tube amplifier              
Real 2.1 channel output            
Main channel 80W*2

Vacuum tube amplifier
with USB and SD

create ka na lang new thread. those are not t-amps
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline edocampo

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1096 on: Sep 22, 2010 at 12:19 PM »
in preparation for the arrival of obami*, "ate V1" amp (will be used as 55watts bridged "mono"); i hooked up dual sonicimpact stealth-mod t-amps as "monoblocks" w/ non-biwireable infinity primus 160. T1 to drive left speaker T2 to drive right speaker. cdp as source, no tubepreamp used. since the t-amp is already bridged, it utilizes ta2024chip's 15watts for each speaker; unlike if used as standalone t-amp(5-6wpc) for 2 speakers.

kayang-kaya idrive ang 90db/8ohms primus160 with lots of bass but still retaining the mids and hf excellence!!!

*maraming salamat uli sir raygun :)
 naksnaman kambio arangkada ka agad V2! parinig naman!!! ;D

Sir ojofool,

ganito din plano ko sna. parang mono block style sya. 1 T-Amp for each speaker. Paano mo ginawa? pede pa share naman kahit sketch drawing lang.
one more question is, ok lang ba one T-Amp is Sonic Impact and the other one is Dayton? wala kayang problema sa SQ?

TIA,
edocampo

Offline ndotcom

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • verbum sat sapienti est
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #1097 on: Sep 30, 2010 at 10:31 AM »
Hi Guys,

Try ko lang sana ask dito kung may nakapagtry na ng units ng hifimediy? Here is the link of his site http://www.hifimediy.com/The_amps.html

He can also be found on ebay and DIYaudio.com, mura yung mono config niya as well as stereo boards and already assembled so power supply, connectors and casing nalang kulang.

What do you think?

Thanks,
n_dot

Offline alexg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1098 on: Oct 20, 2010 at 01:23 PM »

here are the specs

vacuum tube amplifier              
Real 2.1 channel output            
Main channel 80W*2

Vacuum tube amplifier
with USB and SD

With those 4 tubes, I don't think it can produce 80 watts as a vacuum tube amplifier.

It might be similar to the Sakura, a hybrid amp.
I went fishing the other day, and I caught a BIG ONE!

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
« Reply #1099 on: Oct 20, 2010 at 02:18 PM »
Is it possible to have the volume knob of the Sonic Impact T-Amp replaced? I haven't used mine in quite a long time and when I started using it again this week may static na sa right channel whenever you turn the volume up or down and sometimes humihina din yung right channel. But if I press the knob the sound equalizes.

Offline BigBert-2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1100 on: Oct 20, 2010 at 04:35 PM »
Is it possible to have the volume knob of the Sonic Impact T-Amp replaced? I haven't used mine in quite a long time and when I started using it again this week may static na sa right channel whenever you turn the volume up or down and sometimes humihina din yung right channel. But if I press the knob the sound equalizes.

Pwedeng-pwede, try replacing it with ALPs brand.  ;)
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,121044.0.html
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2010 at 04:39 PM by BigBert-2 »

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #1101 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 10:12 AM »
you can do the following:
1. rotate the knob back & forth several times. can dislodge dirt inside.
2. use contact cleaner to spray the potentiometer contacts and do #1. kung na-stock lang ang amp i'm pretty sure this would work.
3. if 1 and 2 doesn't work, replace the potentiometer. you can choose a cheap pot, an alps pot or a stepped pot depending on budget and preference.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline Mentos

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • run nemo, run!!!
  • Liked:
enlightenment with T amps pros vs. cons
« Reply #1102 on: Nov 26, 2010 at 02:52 AM »
im considering buying a Dayton t amp to be use as fronts for my wharfedale 9.1 . ht setup

pros.... cons...?

thanks in advance

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 606
Re: enlightenment with T amps pros vs. cons
« Reply #1103 on: Nov 26, 2010 at 03:52 AM »
I think there is an existing T-Amp thread.

Anyway, the biggest drawback of this amp (DTA-1) for HT use would likely be its low power level. It might not match the receiver's speaker outputs in terms of volume and headroom.

If you're looking at Dayton products for that purpose, the DTA-100a (or the APA150) may be a more suitable match (granted that your plan is to shore-up the performance of a system based on a weaker receiver).
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2010 at 04:10 AM by Stagea »

Offline kemozavi

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.soundsolutionsph.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1104 on: Nov 26, 2010 at 05:01 PM »
sir 2 channel HT setup ba or your planning to run it through the recievers pre outs?

Just to answer your query re pros and cons id say the biggest drawback definitely is the power handling       ( Dayton DTA-1 ) you can get to decent volumes but definitely not cinematic, other than that cant really think of anything else, some positive points are cheaper electricity, small footprint, AMAZING soundtracks and clear conversations...

i'm just speaking through expirience. ;) HT ko kasi is located sa Pampanga, i've been staying recently at my wifes house... so recently i've been watching a lot of movies through my computer... gamit ko yung Dayton DTA-1 sa computer ko coupled with a pair of bookshelf speakers... temporary setup for listening to mp3s and watching movies, quite happy with it. ;)

Offline Mentos

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • run nemo, run!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1105 on: Nov 29, 2010 at 10:08 PM »
i see... its nice to get some ideas from you guys... when it comes to architectural compare to a class a or ab type ok naman? planning to use its as a up front for a ht setup.. so t- amps are considered as a class d amp? ksi if you say na you need to upgrade internals like capacitor it just means na it need to have a good supply of electricity to juice and to give more power... only difference form a class d is cleaner output and staging?

hehehe  ;D

leaning to tube...  ;D

Offline muypogi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1106 on: Dec 02, 2010 at 05:02 PM »
i see... its nice to get some ideas from you guys... when it comes to architectural compare to a class a or ab type ok naman? planning to use its as a up front for a ht setup.. so t- amps are considered as a class d amp? ksi if you say na you need to upgrade internals like capacitor it just means na it need to have a good supply of electricity to juice and to give more power... only difference form a class d is cleaner output and staging?

hehehe  ;D

leaning to tube...  ;D

Ang sinasabi ng marami ay depende sa power supply and total current and power na maibibigay ng amp.  Subukan mong pakinggan ang T-amp tapos isang vintage receiver na pareho ang power rating, gamit ang pangkaraniwang speaker na katamtaman lang ang efficiency.  Maririning mo na mas buo at mas malaki ang tunog ng isang lumang amp laban sa T-amp.  Nagkakatalo sa power supply. 

Offline questforthegoodlife

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 134
« Reply #1107 on: Dec 03, 2010 at 11:50 AM »
sir 2 channel HT setup ba or your planning to run it through the recievers pre outs?

Just to answer your query re pros and cons id say the biggest drawback definitely is the power handling       ( Dayton DTA-1 ) you can get to decent volumes but definitely not cinematic, other than that cant really think of anything else, some positive points are cheaper electricity, small footprint, AMAZING soundtracks and clear conversations...

i'm just speaking through expirience. ;) HT ko kasi is located sa Pampanga, i've been staying recently at my wifes house... so recently i've been watching a lot of movies through my computer... gamit ko yung Dayton DTA-1 sa computer ko coupled with a pair of bookshelf speakers... temporary setup for listening to mp3s and watching movies, quite happy with it. ;)

Sir,

I wanted to setup upgrade my sounds for my pc but i'm hesitant to invest in a receiver. How would you make a 5.1 setup using your setup?  or is it cost effective pa rin to invest a budget receiver?

Offline kemozavi

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.soundsolutionsph.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1108 on: Dec 03, 2010 at 01:17 PM »
Sir,

I wanted to setup upgrade my sounds for my pc but i'm hesitant to invest in a receiver. How would you make a 5.1 setup using your setup?  or is it cost effective pa rin to invest a budget receiver?

sir kung 5.1 dabest parin kung reciever,,, abang abang ka lang dito sa market place... :)

Offline Euphony101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1109 on: Dec 04, 2010 at 08:36 AM »
I assume kaya mo gusto mag 5.1 is for movies.mag receiver ka na lng sir, t amps are great piece of gears no question about that. But mas  ma enjoy mo yung movie experience mo kung receiver na gagamitin mo.mas simple ang connections, plus yung mga features na meron sa receiver na wala sa t-amp.

marami pong receiver sa market place i'm sure makakahanap ka ng pasok sa needs and budget mo.
happy hunting ;)