Author Topic: The War Begins...  (Read 106903 times)

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: The War Begins...
« Reply #270 on: Sep 24, 2006 at 05:24 AM »
I have read that the 60GB model of the PS3 has dual HDMI uli.

But I think this is only for the Japanese Version.

I think I've read this sa PinoyPSX
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline dagul27

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #271 on: Sep 24, 2006 at 10:22 AM »
Olrayt sa OK yan.Now i can get both the PS3 and the HD-DVD drive for the 360.Mwahahaha! ;D

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #272 on: Sep 24, 2006 at 10:12 PM »
I have read that the 60GB model of the PS3 has dual HDMI uli.

for dual monitor purpose? 

or the extra HDMI can be used as av relay for an external equipment?

or perhaps you can use one hdmi to play something from the disc and another to play something from the hard drive...but that's kinda asking too much I think.
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2006 at 10:14 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #273 on: Sep 26, 2006 at 11:47 PM »

for dual monitor purpose? 

or the extra HDMI can be used as av relay for an external equipment?

or perhaps you can use one hdmi to play something from the disc and another to play something from the hard drive...but that's kinda asking too much I think.

Dual Monitor? That can be possible as I have seen HD Stream Generators from Abenson feeding 3 LCD HDTV displays at the same time. What I mean is, if the HD Stream Generators can do that, why not the PS3?

We shall see the power of the Cell if this Dual HDMI becomes a reality.
But as of now, couldnt find from gaming sites that the 60GB model will indeed have a dual HDMI again.

What is confirmed is the 20GB model will have HDMI.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #274 on: Sep 27, 2006 at 10:46 AM »
The problem with rental shops, especially here in Manila, is that they are soooo late in adopting to new formats.  Video City I think started renting out DVDs only in 2003 and with so few titles.   And now with the new HD format, I would love to rent na lang.  But if it took Video City all 6 years before renting DVDs out, I would think they'll start renting out HD titles in 2012 pa.   ;D

Also, another problem is that most of these rental shops have closed due to competition from pirates.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #275 on: Sep 27, 2006 at 11:07 AM »
Exactly.  Why rent when you could own the title for just slightly more.  And you'd still have to spend for the commute and the penalty which I incurred a lot during the LD heyday.   ;D

But if I were to trust studios and the electronic giants behind the format, the 128-bit AACS is virtually unhackable and piracy-proof so I shouldn't expect pirated HD DVDs or Blu rays with the same speed that deCSS'ed DVDs appeared.   And with relatively higher price tags per title that would have no competition from pirates, I don't expect prices to come down anywhere near DVD prices today.  So just like in the days of the LDs, there'd be more reason now for high def rental business to flourish.  Ofcourse I am assuming the relevant player costs can start reaching the mass markets.

One disincentive here is the presence of two high def formats.  Unless rental shops increase their shelf spaces,  stocking on two formats of the same title on top of DVDs and VCDs may not be an attractive business idea.   ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2006 at 11:13 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #276 on: Sep 27, 2006 at 01:33 PM »
I think the battle should be soon over before the real format war can really go full-swing... thanks to another disruptive technology innovation described below:

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/09/26/dvd.formats.reut/index.html

New DVD could end format war
POSTED: 1554 GMT (2354 HKT), September 26, 2006
Adjust font size:
AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (Reuters) -- The format war around next generation DVDs may be over before it has begun, thanks to a breakthrough from a British media technology company.

Britain-based New Medium Enterprises (NME) said on Tuesday it had solved a technical production problem that makes it possible to produce a cheap multiple-layer DVD disk containing one film in different, competing formats.

"Current technologies to create multiple layer disks mostly don't work. We've created a technology for mass production of multiple layers that does not suffer from the well known problem of low yields," said NME Chief Technology Officer Eugene Levich.

A low yield means that many DVDs coming off the manufacturing lines are not working and have to be discarded.

The production costs of a multi-layer DVD using the new NME technology are estimated to be around 9 cents, compared with the 6 cents for a standard single-layer play-back DVD, according to Dutch company ODMS, one of the world's leading makers of production lines for optical disks.

This 50 percent cost increase compares favorably with the current generation of multi-layer recordable DVD disks which cost 3 to 5 times as much to produce than a single layer disk, due to low yields.

The technological breakthrough comes one week after three employees at movie studio Warner Bros. filed a patent for the application of multiple formats on a single DVD disc.

"There's no collision between Warner and us. They patent the application, we are patenting the technology. These are complementary patents. I'm glad it's happened. Warner opened our eyes, because it shows they really want to do this and create multi-format, multi-layer disks," Levich said.

Time Warner is the world's largest media company and owns Warner Bros. Former Warner Home Video President James Cardwell joined NME as a board member last month.

Nipped in the bud?
Multiple format DVD disks can solve the emerging war between the two new high capacity DVD formats: Blu-Ray, which is backed by Sony Corp., and Toshiba-supported HD-DVD.

High capacity DVD disks are needed to store high definition movies on a single disk. Movies stored in high definition provide five to six times more picture detail than standard definition which is used in normal DVDs.

Hollywood studios have been choosing sides in the DVD format war, each supporting one of the two formats. Some have said they will produce films in both, in addition to the standard DVD format.

By putting the same film on a single disk in the two competing formats, movie studios can save money and consumers do not have to worry if they are buying the right disk for their player.

The technological breakthrough by NME was confirmed by ODMS.

"I can confirm this. We were very skeptical when NME approached us. We have experience with producing dual layer recordable DVD discs and the yield is below 50 percent. But their technology gives a much higher yield and also brings other cost savings," said ODMS Chief Executive Jadranko Dovic.

ODMS said it will have the first prototype production line using NME's technology running by early 2007.

NME said it had also created new technology for the machines which have to read and write the disk, which is another bottleneck with multi-layer disks. The current generation of DVD players can read up to two layers.

NME has created DVD disks with up to 10 different layers that were still readable. It has created its own player, but it is willing to license the technology to mainstream consumer electronics companies, Levich said.

Movies on a DVD are stored at different depths depending on the technology. Blu-Ray discs store information only 0.1 millimeter from the surface while HD-DVD discs store it at 0.6 millimeters.

Movies longer than two hours would need to be stored on two layers of the same format very close to each other.

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #277 on: Sep 27, 2006 at 03:46 PM »
from what ive read you still have to buy one of the competing HD players right to experience the HD version of the film.  what it does essentially is for studios to manufacture one unifying disc that contains it all, the standard version, the hd dvd version, and the blu-ray version....the article says its cheap so cost woudnt be a factor here.  from a consumer standpoint, that would mean more film choices, whatever the player you have chosen.  that is if all studios support this multi format disc... :) :)

personally IMO, from a picture quality standpoint, with HD being 6x greater than standard DVD, (and seeing HD in its full glory on a 100 in screen)the upgrade is all worth it.

from a cost/format war standpoint, thats for the HT enthusiast to decide.  :)
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2006 at 03:49 PM by Munskie »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #278 on: Sep 27, 2006 at 04:31 PM »
I think the article says you need to have a "special" DVD player capable of reading "super" multi-layered/multi-format DVD. 

10-layered DVD, that's pretty stacked up ne.
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2006 at 04:38 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #279 on: Sep 27, 2006 at 04:42 PM »
If all the studios support both formats, this should make sense.

If these discs become the norm, those who have already their upampling Oppos and Denons and Toshiba A1s may have to get another player that can read 10 layers.  ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2006 at 04:49 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #280 on: Sep 27, 2006 at 04:52 PM »
My guess, much like the early gen and expensive DVD players which are incapable of reading all sorts of  recordable CD and DVD formats, if this disc is actually realized, none of the present crop of players would be compatible.

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #281 on: Sep 28, 2006 at 12:24 PM »
I think, it's more feasible to make a multi disc player than a multi format disc.  :)
There's something to learn everyday

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #282 on: Sep 30, 2006 at 08:01 AM »
For your info only: from Amazon sales, September 30

The bestseller in HD DVD, The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is ranked 101 in overall DVD sales.
The bestseller in Blu-Ray, Click is ranked 4154 in overall DVD sales.

The 40th bestseller in  HD DVD Lethal Weapon 2 is ranked 4073 in overall DVD sales..

Figure out the numbers.  HD DVD is enjoying quite a lead now.   Let us see what happens when PS3 launches.  :)
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2006 at 10:56 AM by Munskie »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #283 on: Oct 01, 2006 at 10:49 AM »
Someone at AVSFORUM just posted some pics displaying an A-B comparison of  some scenes between Troy in HD DVD and the other one in upconverted DVD.  Troy HD DVD isnt even well reviewed at highdefdigest.com, but there is noticeable difference for me.  See and judge for yourself.... ;D

HD vs SD Picture Comparison

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #284 on: Oct 01, 2006 at 01:09 PM »
Yeah I can see what they meant. The difference btw Roy HD DVD & upconverted DVD isn't big but probably for most Troy purists, they will giv etheir seal of approval?  ;D

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #285 on: Oct 03, 2006 at 02:07 PM »
 Sony to join DVD war in December with new Blu-ray machine

The Blu-ray player-recorder will hit the shelves on December 8, going head-to-head with a rival format developed by electronic giants led by Toshiba Corp., which in July released the first home-use HD DVD recorder-player.

The Blu-ray machine will have a price tag of about ¥300,000 ($2,560) for the 500 gigabyte hard disk drive, Sony announced at a consumer electronics show east of Tokyo where manufacturers are vying for customers.

http://newsinfo.inq7.net/breakingnews/infotech/view_article.php?article_id=24515
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2006 at 02:07 PM by bachwitz »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #286 on: Oct 03, 2006 at 03:19 PM »
Cant wait.  I have jumped to HD na.  I know I ate my words on how I would wait to see a winner.  But after seeing alvinthx2's demo, I was convinced.  I want to enjoy films in HD now ...even if the debate/war goes on.  I have seen sneak peeks of the HD DVDs that I have, and so far, its really quite a show.  The same feeling I had when I slipped the first DVD on my system.  Titles are limited now I know, but future releases are quite good, from King Kong to Superman Returns etc.....which makes me more discriminating now in my HD DVD purchases. That makes HD DVD showing in  my system  a special event.... ;D ;D

Here are some sample pics of some HD DVD titles namely Doom and The Chronicles of Riddick. 

take note that the digital camera pics doesnt do justice to what ive seen (coz I cant get light or else the video output will be washed out).....ive tried my best to get some decent shots....kaya lang di talaga ako pro with the digicam....

screen size: 97in
video cable:  5meter hdmi/dvi cable with hdmi/dvi adapter (i thought there would be dvi issues, but it worked beautifully)
PJ: Panny AE900....feed this PJ with a HD source, and it will not buck down in its performance....

The HD DVD images...still uncalibrated ...in 1080i

Universal never looked so sharp....

Doom

Pic taken is quite dark (the whole film too)...but with HD DVD you can see more of an actor's facial blemishes...this one actress Rosamund Pike's not so smooth forehead

One of the better pics ive taken (Riddick).... picture perfect with sharp, excellent contrast and clarity.  No film grain too... :)
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2006 at 03:20 PM by Munskie »

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #287 on: Oct 05, 2006 at 12:29 PM »
The first film release to be 50GB on Blu Ray.

http://www.news4gamers.com/ps3/News-11412.aspx

Also stated, how the PS3 plays Blu Ray.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #288 on: Oct 06, 2006 at 07:07 PM »
HD DVD discs and players will start region coding next year:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/10/06/hd_dvd_to_get_region_coding/

Offline edboy7

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • My name is Juan Antonio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #289 on: Oct 10, 2006 at 03:41 AM »
more sony blu ray releases :)

* 2.40:1 Widescreen Transfer (1080p)
    * Uncompressed PCM 5.1 Audio (Cantonese and English)
    * English and French Subtitles

* 2.40:1 Widescreen Transfer (1080p)
    * Uncompressed PCM 5.1 Audio (English and French)
    * Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, English HoH, Finnish, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Norwegian, Polish, Swedish and Turkish Subtitles

Jessica Alba  on 1080p ;D How i wish!

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #290 on: Oct 10, 2006 at 08:18 AM »
wow...great releases!! ........sayang format war still rages on....the cheapest Blu-Ray that will be available out there soon is the PS3 at $499 while Panasonic just released its Blu-Ray player...the DMP-BD10 at a whopping $1299!!  :o :o  Just hoping here that studios cross the line and have a peaceful format coexistence........ ;)  So we can watch all movies in HD...

Thanks to a good guy from Avsforum, David Susilo who offered to ship me the latest firmware update disc from tosh.......sharing all the good stuff...thats what forums is all about... :) 

October 30 release...

« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2006 at 09:10 PM by Munskie »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #291 on: Oct 10, 2006 at 09:29 AM »
cant wait.....

Offline FLIM

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #292 on: Oct 10, 2006 at 11:28 AM »
WHEN does this come out. the dvd version?

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #293 on: Oct 10, 2006 at 09:16 PM »
The first title, Click,  in double layer Blu-Ray disc just came out (BD50), and its review came up good in highdefdigest.  The war is just starting to heat up...... :) :)

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/click.html

Offline aldrinpsx

• DVD Guru
  • Region 1 fanatic!!!!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #294 on: Oct 10, 2006 at 11:36 PM »
Jumped the band wagon..im no.1 of 14 for the 60 gig.well guys...i have to say....that i was one of the lucky ones.pre order was shut before the store opens at 10am.. i was  standing in line(5am) in the freezing mornin. ;D ;D ;D ;D

1st in line, guaranteed a PS3 on Nov 17th.

*** guess ill be watching BLU RAY rather than HD DVD****

peace and blessing!!!
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2006 at 11:25 AM by aldrinpsx »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #295 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 07:17 AM »
sabi ko na nga ba eh, akala ko ba wala pang pa addition ngayon? hehehehe, great stuff aldrin, sana manalo ka rin ng xbox 360...... ;D ;D

Offline Kratos

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #296 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 01:45 PM »
Droooll! Alvinthx you're lucky man, I wasnt able to get a slot here in Dubai when a local game store announced that they are accepting reservations for PS3.  :'( After 3 days they've announced the shipment, its already gone. By the way they are also shipping a US NTSC version here. Probably by 3rd week of November.

Offline aldrinpsx

• DVD Guru
  • Region 1 fanatic!!!!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #297 on: Oct 14, 2006 at 12:04 AM »
Remember!! Remember!! the 17TH of NOVEMBER!!!!

peace and blessing!!!

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #298 on: Oct 14, 2006 at 01:20 AM »
since having the ultimate experience of watching HD, my view in this format war changed.  when in the start Ive sided with the HD DVD format (great start and affordable players), now i would like to think that im in support of HD in general and not become a format fanboy.  Being a movie fan first and next a HT enthusiast, I simply want to watch all the movies I love in HD.  If my format of choice wins, well and good I dont have to buy a Blu-Ray player...if not and Blu-Ray do succeeds, the HD-A1 has done its job and would like to think its a great investment in terms of entertainment and cinema experience.  But before that happening, I think I have already watched a considerable number of titles in HD DVD on it.....quality of transfer are just getting better for every release...ditto for Blu-Ray.....kaya, im here in support of HD. :)
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2006 at 01:21 AM by Munskie »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #299 on: Oct 14, 2006 at 07:30 AM »
Remember!! Remember!! the 17TH of NOVEMBER!!!!

Wow amazing bro...a hardcore fan....u even lined up since 5am..well done!!  ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2006 at 07:35 AM by pchin »