Author Topic: The War Begins...  (Read 107165 times)

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The War Begins...
« Reply #420 on: Nov 19, 2006 at 10:17 AM »
Yes Dagul, but very casual gamer now compared to when I was in my teens and twenties.  Just give me a good golf and tennis game, WWII shooter, Sam Fischer and the Master Chief, those are all I need.  ;D

Offline bachwitz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #421 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 10:04 AM »
I saw a PS3 in SM makati last friday selling for 60K. The games are ridge racer and gundam, both selling for ~5k.  According to the sales lady the unit is a Japan version.  Wonder how SM was able to get one when I believe there is also shortage in Japan?

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #422 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 10:38 AM »
I saw a PS3 in SM makati last friday selling for 60K. The games are ridge racer and gundam, both selling for ~5k.  According to the sales lady the unit is a Japan version.  Wonder how SM was able to get one when I believe there is also shortage in Japan?

Giant retailers can go straight to Sony Japan or Sony US.  But what about warranty?

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #423 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 11:02 AM »
60k?????  gosh....SM really goes for the kill ei?  hehehehe.... ;D ;D

Offline Kratos

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #424 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 12:31 PM »
60k?????  gosh....SM really goes for the kill ei?  hehehehe.... ;D ;D

IMO its cheaper there compared to the price here in UAE where the most popular gaming store is selling it for 5,500AED (P77,000) for the 20gb and 6,000AED (P84,000) 60gb version, though the games are cheaper here 299AED (P4,000) and theye already have 10 titles to choosefrom. Greedy merchants!!!

Offline dakeldani

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #425 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 02:23 PM »
IMO its cheaper there compared to the price here in UAE where the most popular gaming store is selling it for 5,500AED (P77,000) for the 20gb and 6,000AED (P84,000) 60gb version, though the games are cheaper here 299AED (P4,000) and theye already have 10 titles to choosefrom. Greedy merchants!!!

Hmmmm...

in bangkok its 52,000 pesos (60 GB with 2 controllers and 2 games),  36,400 pesos (20GB standard) both japan version

but i didnt ask how much per game each...

....nah..better wait till march wherein hopefully, they would be available at Sony's SRP.

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #426 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 05:55 PM »
PS3 at Toykingdom Megamall, saw 2 units each of:

60gb @ P59,999
20gb @ P44,999

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #427 on: Nov 21, 2006 at 07:58 AM »
So, the PS3 managed to sneak out on its way to these countries.

Campers per country?  ;D
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #428 on: Nov 21, 2006 at 05:51 PM »
Those who want to make money can buy it & sell in ebay. There was one unit that reach US$14,000 bid!!  ;D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #429 on: Nov 21, 2006 at 07:40 PM »
A Weekend Full of Quality Time With PlayStation 3
By SETH SCHIESEL
Published: November 20, 2006
The New York Times

Howard Stringer, you have a problem. Your company’s new video game system just isn’t that great.

Ever since Mr. Stringer took the helm last year at Sony, the struggling if still formidable electronics giant, the world has been hearing about how the coming PlayStation 3 would save the company, or at least revitalize it. Even after Microsoft took the lead in the video-game wars a year ago with its innovative and powerful Xbox 360, Sony blithely insisted that the PS3 would leapfrog all competition to deliver an unsurpassed level of fun.

Put bluntly, Sony has failed to deliver on that promise.

Measured in megaflops, gigabytes and other technical benchmarks, the PlayStation 3 is certainly the world’s most powerful game console. It falls far short, however, of providing the world’s most engaging overall entertainment experience. There is a big difference, and Sony seems to have confused one for the other.

The PS3, which was introduced in North America on Friday with a hefty $599 price tag for the top version, certainly delivers gorgeous graphics. But they are not discernibly prettier than the Xbox 360’s. More important, the whole PlayStation 3 system is surprisingly clunky to use and simply does not provide many basic functions that users have come to expect, especially online.

I have spent more than 30 hours using the PlayStation 3 over the last week or so and may have played more different games on the system — 13 — than probably anyone outside of Sony itself. Sony did not activate the PS3’s online service until just before the Friday debut. Over the weekend a clear sense of disappointment with the PlayStation 3 emerged from many gamers.

“What’s weird is that the PS3 was originally supposed to come out in the spring, and here it came out in the fall, and it still doesn’t feel finished,” Christopher Grant, managing editor of Joystiq, one of the world’s biggest video-game blogs, said on the telephone Saturday night. “It’s really not the all-star showing they should have had at launch. Sony is playing catch-up in a lot of ways now, not just in terms of sales but in terms of the basic functionality and usability of the system.”

Sadly for Sony, the best way to explain how the PlayStation 3 falls short is to explain how different it is to use than its main competition, Xbox 360. When I reviewed the 360 last year, I wrote: “Twelve minutes after opening the box, I had created my nickname, was in a game of Quake 4 and thought, ‘This can’t be this easy.’ ”

I never felt that way using the PlayStation 3. With the PS3, 12 minutes after opening the box I realized that Sony inexplicably does not include cables to connect the machine to a high-definition television. Keep in mind that one of Sony’s main selling points has been that the PS3 plays Blu-Ray high-definition movie discs. But high-definiton cables? Sold separately. The Xbox 360, by contrast, ships with one cable that can connect to either a standard or high-definition set.

Then, before you are even using the PS3, you have to connect the “wireless” controller to the base unit with a USB cable so they can recognize each other. If you bring your PS3 controller to a friend’s house, you’ll have to plug back in again. The 360’s wireless controllers are always just that, wireless.

If there is one thing one would expect Sony to get perfect, though, it would be music. Wrong. Sure, you can plug in your digital music player and the PS3 will play the tunes. But as soon as you go into a game, the music stops. By contrast, one of the things I’ve always enjoyed most on the Xbox 360 is being able to listen to my own music while playing Pebble Beach or driving my virtual Ferrari. Doesn’t seem too complicated, but the PS3 can’t do it.

In that sense it often feels as if the PlayStation 3 can’t walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. In the PS3’s online store (which feels like a slow Web page) you can access movie trailers and trial versions of new games, but when you actually download the 600-megabyte files, you’ll be stuck watching a progress bar crawl across the screen for 20 or 40 minutes. Astonishingly, you can’t download in the background while you go do something that’s more fun (like play a game). On the Xbox 360, not only are files downloaded seamlessly in the background, but you can also shut off the machine, turn it on later, and the download will resume automatically.

The PS3’s whole online experience feels tacked-on and unpolished. On the Xbox 360 each user has a single unified friends list, so you can track your friends and communicate with them easily, no matter what game you are in. On the PlayStation 3 most games have their own separate friends list and some have no friends function at all. There is a master list as well, but in order to communicate with anyone on it, you have to quit the game you are playing.

There are some high points. The multi-player battles in Resistance: Fall of Man are excellent. The arcade-style action in the downloadable Blast Factor is suitably frantic.

But the list of the PS3’s disappointments remains, from its undersupported voice chat to its maddening cellphone-like text messaging system. (In frustration I ended up plugging in a USB keyboard.) Overall, Sony seems to have put a lot of effort into cramming as much silicon horsepower under the hood as possible but to have forgotten that all the transistors in the world can’t make someone smile.

And so it is a bit of a shock to realize that on the video game front Microsoft and Sony are moving in exactly the opposite directions one might expect given their roots. Microsoft, the prototypical PC company, has made the Xbox 360 into a powerful but intuitive, welcoming, people-friendly system. Sony’s PlayStation 3, on the other hand, often feels like a brawny but somewhat recalcitrant specialized computer. (Sony is even telling users to wait for future software patches to fix some of the PS3’s deficiencies.) The thing is, if people want to use a computer, they’ll use a computer.

Through the decades of the Walkman and the Trinitron television, Sony was renowned as the global master of easy-to-use, seamlessly powerful consumer electronics. But recently Sony seems to have lost its way, first in digital music players, in which it ceded the ergonomic high ground to Apple’s iPod, and now in home-game consoles. For now Sony’s technologists seem to have won out over the people who study fun.

As a practical matter, given the limited quantities Sony has been able to manufacture, the PlayStation 3 will surely remain sold out throughout the holiday season. If you can’t find one, don’t fret. Sony still has a lot of work to do. As Mr. Grant of Joystiq put it: “Maybe in six months it’ll be finished. Maybe by next fall I’ll be able to do all the cool stuff. I’m still kind of waiting.”

« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2006 at 07:46 PM by barrister »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #430 on: Nov 21, 2006 at 09:25 PM »
truly awakening.... ???

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
« Reply #431 on: Nov 21, 2006 at 09:31 PM »
One of the shops in greenhills [somewhere in shopsville], price was at P55,000.00 for a 60gb  :o :o, i guess sometime next year will be the best time to buy it   ;D ;D

Offline Kratos

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #432 on: Nov 21, 2006 at 09:46 PM »

Hmmm... It sounds biased to me. Well its just me, coz i dont see the other pros like fully compatible if you install other OS and user upgradeablity of HD's among other things.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2006 at 09:51 PM by Kratos »

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #433 on: Nov 22, 2006 at 05:40 PM »
Yeah. Same here.

He only mentioned all PS3 negatives, of which, are addressed by the 360.
Never mentioned PS3's strong points which the 360 doesn't have.

He never mentioned PS3's 60GB which is replaceable by 3rd Party HDD, so on and so forth.

He never mentioned about the PS3's HDMI, while the 360 has yet to come up with.

He never mentioned about PS3's free online play, while you have to pay $50 a year to play on XBL.

Anyway, to each his own.

May nabasa pala ako from a local gaming forum site.
An XBOX 360 game named Blue Dragon shall be released in 3 DVDs.
Yup. we don't need a blu ray.
Who needs a large capacity storage disc?

At this point of next generation competition, one game is about to be released in multiple DVDs.
And yet some are attacking Sony's decision to use a Blu Ray on the PS3.

Just wanted to share.
Peace.  ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2006 at 06:51 PM by nels76 »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #434 on: Nov 22, 2006 at 06:44 PM »
And more importantly, the guy was complaining of the shortcomings of the PS3 at launch but never failed to mention the 360 launch units that made circular scratches on discs when you insert it on the 360 and start playing.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #435 on: Nov 22, 2006 at 08:41 PM »
By SETH SCHIESEL
Published: November 20, 2006
The New York Times

Howard Stringer, you have a problem. Your company’s new video game system just isn’t that great.

Ever since Mr. Stringer took the helm last year at Sony, the struggling if still formidable electronics giant, the world has been hearing about how the coming PlayStation 3 would save the company, or at least revitalize it. Even after Microsoft took the lead in the video-game wars a year ago with its innovative and powerful Xbox 360, Sony blithely insisted that the PS3 would leapfrog all competition to deliver an unsurpassed level of fun.

Put bluntly, Sony has failed to deliver on that promise.

As a practical matter, given the limited quantities Sony has been able to manufacture, the PlayStation 3 will surely remain sold out throughout the holiday season. If you can’t find one, don’t fret. Sony still has a lot of work to do. As Mr. Grant of Joystiq put it: “Maybe in six months it’ll be finished. Maybe by next fall I’ll be able to do all the cool stuff. I’m still kind of waiting.”

Funny but I also posted the same article in the PS3 thread.   ;D\

Anyway, I,m not enitrely surprised.  Afterall, missed promises have come to be expected from Sony.  They often have a way of botching up an otherwise excellent product.  If the PS3 came from another more customer oriented and responsible company, it might be a different story.  Here's another:

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=C040CD56-89D9-4FA4-BA60-9507BD9D0A37

PlayStation 3 launch hit by games glitches
14th November 2006
By Staff Writer

Sony has confirmed its PS3 is unable to play games from older PlayStations, refuting its earlier claim that the console was fully backwards compatible. The PlayStation 3 went on sale recently in Japan. According to games magazine publisher Enterbrain, over 84,000 units were shifted in the first two days of the console's launch.

Sony admitted that, with some titles, the audio features do not work, while others have problems with graphics. Titles affected include Final Fantasy and Gran Turismo. Sony has offered to fix the glitches via online console upgrades.

The PS3 is the centerpiece of Sony's strategy to claw back market share from Microsoft's Xbox 360. The PS3 was originally meant to hit the shops in early 2006, but problems with production and shortages of parts delayed the launch. Europe's PS3 launch has also been pushed back to March 2007.

AND ANOTHER:
http://au.psp.ign.com/articles/744/744964p1.html

PSP Firmware Update Misses PS3 Launch
Remote player functionality to make it in some time later this month.
by Anoop Gantayat
US, November 8, 2006 

Early adopters of the PlayStation 3 in Japan have more to look forward to than a paltry lineup of launch titles that can be counted on a single hand. That's right, thanks to the PlayStation Network, the PS3 offers the promise of online content, including downloadable games and messaging features.

The only problem is, the launch PS3 units don't actually have the proper firmware to access the new PlayStation Network hub. Sony Computer Entertainment announced today that purchasers of the launch hardware will need to run a system update in order to get the necessary firmware, System Software Version 1.10, in place.

This is, thankfully, an easy enough process. All PS3 owners will have to do is access the System Update option under the settings header of the cross media bar. Everything should be automatic from there.

The System Software Version 1.10 update will be available when people open their PS3 units for the first time. In making the announcement today, Sony didn't indicate why the latest firmware wasn't included right out of the box. We'll leave the creative speculation to you.

But wait, this sordid tale of a lack of preparedness gets even better. You know all that jazz about connectivity between the PSP and PS3? Well, while the PS3 might be ready for it, it's another story for the PSP. Owners of the portable will have to download Version 3.0 of the firmware in order to use the PSP as a remote media player for the PS3 and to play PSP-compatible software that has been downloaded to the PS3 from the PlayStation Network. Unfortunately, this update won't be ready until the end of November.

Hopefully, that means in time for the US launch.

I don't know how true these assessments are, but they do put Sony in a bad light.  I honestly don't think one should judge game consoles on their launch. And I guess in the next few months, everything will work out fine for the PS3.  Same went with MS on their xbox 360.  But it does not speak well about the company(ies) that sell them.  I can't help but wish all this had been done before the consumers got their hands on them.  For me, firmware patches are really a sign of sloppy production.  They're letting the consumer do things they should have done in the first place.   ;D   Hope the PS3 fanboys don't get me wrong, the PS3 is a powerful wonderful device.  My caveat is not with it, but with the Sony corporation and their mostly condescending consumer strategies.  My misgivings about Sony is at the Thread "What I think Of Sony."  But as always, that's just my perception. 

« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2006 at 09:24 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Kratos

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #436 on: Nov 22, 2006 at 08:42 PM »

At this point of next generation competition, one game is about to be released in multiple DVDs.

Just wanted to share.
Peace.  ;)

Yeah! Im about to fight the Dragon boss of stage 3, yeah Im ready for you!  Then it suddenly goes blank and says, insert disk 2 to continue game. Nice.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #437 on: Nov 22, 2006 at 09:30 PM »
Yeah. Same here.

He only mentioned all PS3 negatives, of which, are addressed by the 360.
Never mentioned PS3's strong points which the 360 doesn't have.

He never mentioned PS3's 60GB which is replaceable by 3rd Party HDD, so on and so forth.

He never mentioned about the PS3's HDMI, while the 360 has yet to come up with.

He never mentioned about PS3's free online play, while you have to pay $50 a year to play on XBL.

Anyway, to each his own.

Just wanted to share.
Peace.  ;)

From what I gather,  the author did acknowledge the PS3 as the most powerful game console there is.  But accdg to him, it didn't deliver the FUN factor.  This is not the first time I heard about SONY missing the forest for the tree.  Console Gaming is about having FUN.  It is not about hardware power.  (All those features and power are just means to achieve an end.  And not all means deliver the end successfully. )  And that is why many game forums are saying  it's very likely the much less powerful Nintendo Wii just might overtake both xbox and ps3 in giving gamers more of the FUN.   ;D

from the same review.....
Measured in megaflops, gigabytes and other technical benchmarks, the PlayStation 3 is certainly the world’s most powerful game console. It falls far short, however, of providing the world’s most engaging overall entertainment experience. There is a big difference, and Sony seems to have confused one for the other.

Then again, we're really threading on personal subjective territory again.  People have different notions of what constitutes fun in games.  And each console can have different ways of delivering the level of FUN. That is why serious gamers don't bother with debates on which one is better at giving FUN.  They get ALL the consoles they can lay their hands on.   ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2006 at 09:50 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Kratos

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #438 on: Nov 22, 2006 at 10:01 PM »
I agree, if you have the dinero to spend, you'll buy all these 3 consoles and get the best of both worlds. Although in fairness to PS3, they did deliver to what they have promise, even better. We just have to wait and see for major games like FFXIII, Gran Tourismo and MGS4 to release and that's where the FUN begins.
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2006 at 10:56 PM by Kratos »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #439 on: Nov 22, 2006 at 10:41 PM »
Funnily enough the foot's on the other shoe for both Sony and Microsoft. When the Xbox was launched, Microsoft was touting it as the most powerful console ever and that was that as far as they were concerned -- end the console wars now. Sony, on the other hand, was saying that it is all about the games and not the power inside the machine. Fast forward four years later and Sony's mouthing the Microsoft line and Microsoft's doing a Sony.

Ultimately, it really will fall down to the games. Kratos already mentioned three top notch Playstation exclusives. Microsoft, on the other hand, has Halo and Blue Dragon. Wii has the first party titles under its belt. It will be interesting which one will really get ahead.

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #440 on: Nov 22, 2006 at 11:38 PM »
Well, let us not give judgment at this very early stage of competition.
THe PS3 has been in the market  for about 2 weeks pa lang.

In the meantime, let us witness this tech war and see for ourselves who will emerge as a winner later on.

"Play Beyond".

Peace.  ;)

« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2006 at 11:43 PM by nels76 »

Offline dagul27

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #441 on: Nov 23, 2006 at 01:16 AM »
Today's the start of downloadable HD TV shows and Movies for the 360.I will try one and see how long it will take. ;D

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #442 on: Nov 25, 2006 at 09:54 AM »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #443 on: Nov 25, 2006 at 04:56 PM »
From what I gather,  the author did acknowledge the PS3 as the most powerful game console there is.  But accdg to him, it didn't deliver the FUN factor. 

Exactly.  The Fun Factor was the article's central theme.

Sir av_phile1 always gets the point without much effort. 

In the Wii-PS3 Playoff, Nintendo Upsets Sony on the Fun Factor
By Mike Musgrove
Thursday, November 23, 2006
Washington Post

xxx

... While the people in my group preferred looking at the PS3's games, they preferred playing the Wii.

xxx

I have never seen a bunch of non-gamers get into this stuff like this, and I have never heard anybody laugh so much while playing any video game. A few of them now say they plan to buy the system for themselves.

My friend Andy has always seemed to dislike video games, but he was immediately taken by the Nintendo system in a way that I -- and he -- did not expect. "I'm surprised by how much I like it," he said. "The controller is so intuitive."

A few minutes later, he was cursing the PS3. Most of my friends who picked up the PS3's controller ended up frustrated. The typical game for the system requires players to have memorized where all the buttons are, and it's much harder to just pick up a controller and have a good time. Some of the verdicts they offered are unprintable.

xxx

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/22/AR2006112201857.html

Nintendo Wii: “least powerful, most fun”
http://www.about-electronics.eu/2006/11/24/nintendo-wii-least-powerful-most-fun/
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2006 at 05:32 PM by barrister »

Offline Kratos

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #444 on: Nov 26, 2006 at 01:19 AM »
Unconfirmed: Apple to offer BR Macs by Feb. 2007.

http://www.qj.net/Apple-to-offer-Blu-ray-equipped-Macs-by-February-/pg/49/aid/73975

As a matter of fact, the new Macpro already has an open dive bay in its front panel, aparently to accomodate BD drives in the near future.

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #445 on: Nov 26, 2006 at 07:23 AM »
I have to get the PS3 next week, I am dying to see the 7 bluray movies that I have bought ;D
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #446 on: Nov 26, 2006 at 08:13 AM »
I admire you alvinthx2...a true BD fan. Phew...already got 7 titles even before you own a BD player hehe  :D

Offline aldrinpsx

• DVD Guru
  • Region 1 fanatic!!!!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #447 on: Nov 26, 2006 at 11:45 AM »
I have to get the PS3 next week, I am dying to see the 7 bluray movies that I have bought ;D

Got another one...  ;D ;D ;D ;D

peace and blessing!!!

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #448 on: Nov 26, 2006 at 11:46 AM »
bro aldrin why do you need two PS3s?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #449 on: Nov 26, 2006 at 04:52 PM »
Exactly.  The Fun Factor was the article's central theme.

Sir av_phile1 always gets the point without much effort. 

Thanks for the complement, Sir Barrister.    ;D   That wasn't really the first I heard about it.  And I would think both MS and Sony can confuse what is really important for gamers.  Wii might indeed turn out to be a surprising dark horse in this game console wars.