Author Topic: The War Begins...  (Read 107020 times)

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The War Begins...
« Reply #780 on: Feb 12, 2007 at 09:42 AM »
Possible hd dvd warner releases for april:

4/03 - A Scanner Darkly
4/03 - Dog Day Afternoon
4/10 - The Matrix
4/10 - The Matrix Reloaded
4/10 - Matrix Revolutions

crossing my fingers ::)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #781 on: Feb 12, 2007 at 02:39 PM »
Possible hd dvd warner releases for april:

4/10 - The Matrix
4/10 - The Matrix Reloaded
4/10 - Matrix Revolutions

Nice...very nice...definitely looking forward to the above. I hope the release schedule is true pa...no more delay pls... :D
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2007 at 02:40 PM by pchin »

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #782 on: Feb 12, 2007 at 02:51 PM »
yes, i hope so too, the matrix in HD 8)

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #783 on: Feb 12, 2007 at 03:06 PM »
sa warner france ito....apparently, according to forums ive seen...warner officials there are not as accomodating compared to warner officials in US......its only still in HD DVD apparently coz the BD-J isnt fully functional yet for warner's IME.  Warner US wants same release dates for hd dvd and bd versions..... :-[

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #784 on: Feb 13, 2007 at 07:55 AM »
You gotta love these BD releases... ;D

Fox Conjures Up 'Eragon' on Blu-ray This March; 'Night as the Museum' Circling April

In a late-breaking announcement, Fox Home Entertainment will bring the family fantasy 'Eragon' to Blu-ray in a speedy late March release, with the blockbuster 'Night at the Museum' targeted for early April.

In what Video Business is reporting was apparently a surprise to retailers, Fox has offered little lead time in announcing the hit 'Eragon' for a March 20 debut on Blu-ray, simultaneous with the standard-def DVD version.

No specs yet, though with a two-disc standard-def DVD edition being offered, the Blu-ray version should contain at least some extras.

Retail for 'Eragon' has been set at $39.95.

And though it has not yet received an official release date, Video Business is also reporting that the huge $225 million-grossing 'Night at the Museum' is currently on track for early April from Fox, both on Blu-ray and standard-def DVD. The title was originally expected to take 'Eragon's March 20th slot. We'll certainly keep you posted when the title is officially announced.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #785 on: Feb 13, 2007 at 05:12 PM »
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2007 at 10:04 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline mclee

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #786 on: Feb 19, 2007 at 03:41 PM »
First of all, I have to say Im neither pro bd or pro hddvd. I was at informax parksquare and they were playing "I think" blue ray Behind enemy lines on a PS3 on a pioneer plasma. I was checking it out and it looks pretty grainy... Is this just the movie, the transfer or the pioneer plasma?

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #787 on: Feb 19, 2007 at 05:01 PM »
First of all, I have to say Im neither pro bd or pro hddvd. I was at informax parksquare and they were playing "I think" blue ray Behind enemy lines on a PS3 on a pioneer plasma. I was checking it out and it looks pretty grainy... Is this just the movie, the transfer or the pioneer plasma?

I suspect it's the transfer because I recently watched Stealth in BD on a 46 inch Bravia LCD (not mine..he he he)..very grainy too.

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #788 on: Feb 19, 2007 at 05:05 PM »
I have behind enemy lines on blu ray and i didnt find it grainy, might be display dependent too aside from the transfer

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #789 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 02:45 PM »
I've always suspected that HD is possible with the existing DVD disc, and that the manufacturers insisted on entirely new formats only to justify a new round of high prices.

It looks like HD on a red-laser DVD is finally here:

Is "3X DVD" HD DVD's secret weapon against Blu-ray?
http://sony.engadgethd.com/2007/02/19/is-3x-dvd-hd-dvds-secret-weapon-against-blu-ray/

Notes: 1. Will not play on existing DVD players; 2. Early reports have it that resolution is only 720p.
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2007 at 02:52 PM by barrister »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #790 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 04:13 PM »
720p is 3x the resolution of ordinary DVD. Maybe that's why it's called 3X DVD.  Still way better than DVD and most plasmas and LCDs bought 3-4 years back may just have 720 or less native resolution.  Could be an interim solution while waiting for 1080p LCDs to come down in price. 

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #791 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 05:19 PM »
If this format actually pushes through, they've got to make sure that the price of each recorded disk is substantially cheaper than an HD DVD.   I personally would not mind spending an extra $5 or $10 to get the full 1080p version of a movie.  In any case, I imagine 720p should be better than good enough.

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #792 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 06:39 PM »
I've always suspected that HD is possible with the existing DVD disc, and that the manufacturers insisted on entirely new formats only to justify a new round of high prices.

Same here, i think this is all marketing hype from both sides (which does not necessarily mean it is wrong).  There is no lack of available formats to distribute HD movies.  They can easily fit 720p movies on 1 or 2 sides of a DVD disk using any available high-compression codec.

Files saved into a disk is all it is.  Mix & match a video codec, copy protection scheme & storage media -- then call it some catchy name.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #793 on: Feb 21, 2007 at 07:38 AM »
Disney's 'Pirates of the Caribbean' Booty to Include Two Discs, BD-Java Features

In a pair of Blu-ray firsts for Disney, the studio will unleash their premiere two-disc and BD-Java-enhanced titles when it brings the blockbuster 'Pirates of the Caribbean' films to the format this spring.

As first announced late last month, the studio is set to debut 'Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl' and 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest' on Blu-ray on May 22, just in time for the theatrical premiere of the third film in the series, 'At World's End.'

With expectations high for both releases to be a "trojan horse" for Blu-ray -- meaning the kind of huge A-list titles that will entice new consumers to finally dive into the format -- Disney appears to be pulling out all the stops to ensure that fans will not be disappointed.

Each title will be a "75GB" release, aka a BD-50 dual-layer disc for the movie, and an extra BD-25 single-layer disc with additional extras.

Tech specs include the usual 1080p video transfers and uncompressed PCM 5.1 surround tracks. Extras will replicate the existing, feature-packed standard-def DVD versions.

And exclusive to the Blu-ray releases will be two BD-Java bonuses. 'The Curse of the Black Pearl' will include "Scoundrels of the Sea," an interactive in-movie feature that presents facts on-screen about the legends and lore of pirates. 'Dead Man's Chest' will include an "exciting" new Java feature called "Liar's Dice," a single-player game shot in live-action HD video.

Disney has set a $34.95 suggested list price for each of the 'Pirates' flicks.

Full specs for both titles have now been added to our Blu-ray Release Schedule under May 22.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #794 on: Feb 21, 2007 at 02:12 PM »

I suspect it's the transfer because I recently watched Stealth in BD on a 46 inch Bravia LCD (not mine..he he he)..very grainy too.

I have behind enemy lines on blu ray and i didnt find it grainy, might be display dependent too aside from the transfer

I believe almost any display can be grainy...if you watch too close. When you go to video stores & nitpick a display from 1-2m away is unrealistic IMO. Specially if you actually watch from 3-4m away at home, where you wont be seeing the grains anyway.

Mr. Rivo always consulted me via cell when he was shopping for an LCD TV. My first question to him was always: "How far away will you be watching?" :)
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2007 at 02:13 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #795 on: Feb 21, 2007 at 07:56 PM »
Could be an interim solution while waiting for 1080p LCDs to come down in price. 

Yep, how true! I'm satisfy with my existing 720p & will wait till those ridiculous high price of 1080p to come down...really down  ;D

Offline Kratos

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #796 on: Feb 21, 2007 at 09:23 PM »
I believe almost any display can be grainy...if you watch too close. When you go to video stores & nitpick a display from 1-2m away is unrealistic IMO. Specially if you actually watch from 3-4m away at home, where you wont be seeing the grains anyway.

Mr. Rivo always consulted me via cell when he was shopping for an LCD TV. My first question to him was always: "How far away will you be watching?" :)

Yeah coz most of the movies still use 35mm film hence the grain is still visible.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #797 on: Feb 22, 2007 at 09:59 AM »
Yep, how true! I'm satisfy with my existing 720p & will wait till those ridiculous high price of 1080p to come down...really down  ;D

720p is HD already.  Note the downloadable HD files that are 720p.  Also, if people are already awed by the DVD's 480i res upscaled on 720p or 1080p displays,  what more a 720p source.  1080p or 1080i is really overkill for most home HD viewing.  At a distance of 8ft or more, most pundits on the net agree you'd be quite strained to distinquish between a 720 and 1080 on a 42" 1080 plasma or LCD display.  IF a 720p material can be squeezed on a DVD9 and priced close to standard DVD, it might have a better chance penetrating the market faster.  But it will have to play on standard DVD players using red lasers to take off.  One of the disincentives going HD is having to spend on new players and appropriate displays.   At least with 720p, people might be able to see some picture quality jump on their existing 32"-34" regular TVs.

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
« Reply #798 on: Feb 22, 2007 at 10:48 PM »
But it will have to play on standard DVD players using red lasers to take off.  One of the disincentives going HD is having to spend on new players and appropriate displays.   At least with 720p, people might be able to see some picture quality jump on their existing 32"-34" regular TVs.

Which makes the proposed "HD DVD9" (as i call it) format almost pointless since it won't play on existing players anyway.  If you're going to need to buy new players to play those discs, you might as well go and buy a new HD DVD or BD player. 

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #799 on: Feb 23, 2007 at 09:03 PM »
http://blog.wired.com/wiredphotos45/2007/02/match_game_300.html

"Snyder scanned frames from Miller's graphic novel, using them to help him design not only individual shots, as when King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) shoves a Persian messenger into a bottomless well, but the entire set.

When the Blu-ray version of 300 is eventually released, you'll be able to watch the frames of the book pop up, and see how they correspond to the final scenes of the film"

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #800 on: Feb 24, 2007 at 12:09 AM »
If HD-DVD doesn't release 300 (assuming it's a very good movie) that's it! I'll jump to BD!  :P

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #801 on: Feb 24, 2007 at 01:55 AM »
No need to jump ship.  You can have both.  ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #802 on: Feb 24, 2007 at 07:45 AM »
If HD-DVD doesn't release 300 (assuming it's a very good movie) that's it! I'll jump to BD!  :P
its distributed by Warner...so no need to worry.......and Im hoping it will have In-Movie-Experience feature.....oh btw, PS3 31k na lang.........still holding.......but I know ill go format neutral....
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2007 at 07:48 AM by Munskie »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #803 on: Feb 24, 2007 at 08:59 AM »
Ah distributed by WB pala...that's a relief  :) True hoping it has IME feature. Speaking of IME, I'm disappointed Superman Returns which is a combo disc (more $) but without IME... >:(

Glad to know PS3 price is falling....more pls!  :P

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #804 on: Feb 24, 2007 at 09:02 AM »
As for Superman Returns....Ill bet there will be a loaded uncut extended version that will be released.......its all about milking us enthusiasts.... :-\

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #805 on: Feb 24, 2007 at 09:14 AM »
O nga ya....those marketing people are really good in doing such stuff...I'm implementing "1-disc only" policy which mean no double-dip regardless its newer version release in the future.  :-[

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #806 on: Feb 24, 2007 at 09:17 AM »
300 would be a cinch to do with hd dvd for the interactive feature mentioned..plus its distributed by WB 8)

Offline mario128

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #807 on: Feb 24, 2007 at 01:54 PM »
Nasa 21k na lang ang 20GB PS3. ;D

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #808 on: Feb 24, 2007 at 05:17 PM »
21k for a 20gb ps3?  8)

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #809 on: Feb 24, 2007 at 08:09 PM »
Blu-ray friendly studios join forces to promote Blu-ray in the UK

A number of home entertainment studios have joined forces to jointly promote the Blu-ray high definition disc format in the UK.

Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Lions Gate Home Entertainment, Paramount Home Entertainment, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, and Warner Brothers Home Entertainment, have pledged to work together in recognition that by uniting, they have a better chance of getting the message across that Blu-ray should be the HD disc format of choice.

http://www.hdtvuk.tv/2007/02/bluray_friendly.html

A spokesperson from each company represented gave their views on the new initiaitve at a London press conference this week.

Anthony Peet, Managing Director, Buena Vista Home Entertainment said that the company was excited to be joining with other distributors, and that Blu-ray offered enormous potential for home entertainment.

Zygi Kamasa, CEO, Lions Gate UK, gave the statistic that over 170 companies are now supporting Blu-ray, and there's a great commitment to delivering a wide variety of content on the new format.

Charlie McAuley, Managing Director, Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment, said that 2007 would see a lot of strong releases on the Blu-ray format. "The additional functionality, sound and
picture quality really provides us with the best possible way to showcase our product."

Andy Armstrong, Managing Director, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, unsurprisingly pushed the PS3 as a major factor in handing Blu-ray success. "The UK market is poised for huge growth," he added.

Steven Leighton, Managing Director - UK, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, said that the success of Blu-ray in the US would give the UK market significant opportunity for growth, as the number of Blu-ray players on the market increases.

John Stanley, Managing Director, Warner Home Video, said, "The early signs of interest consumers are showing towards the High Definition revolution are incredibly exciting for us all in the Home Entertainment market, and by working together in this way we can guarantee our consumers are receiving a clearer message to help them understand just how good it really is."

« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2007 at 08:15 PM by Mouldingo »