Author Topic: The War Begins...  (Read 106956 times)

Offline krazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The War Begins...
« Reply #1170 on: Apr 04, 2007 at 08:50 PM »
now if the ps3 would just have more games please........ ::) the price of the 120gb add on for the xbox is spendy, but shows that M$ would prefer that users download content

MGS4 should be a very big seller when it comes out, and a PS3 exclusive as well since it will be the first game to use a BD50 disc, making an XBOX360 port difficult if not impossible

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #1171 on: Apr 04, 2007 at 09:12 PM »
Ill update my earlier post.........May 22 could be the biggest day in Highdef Releases:

HD DVD

* The 40-Year-Old Virgin (Universal)
    * The Complete Matrix Trilogy (Warner)
    * Flags of Our Fathers (DreamWorks)
    * Freedom Writers (Paramount)
    * The Hurricane (2000) (Universal)
    * Letters from Iwo Jima (Warner)
    * M:I-2 (Paramount)
    * Mission: Impossible (Paramount)
    * The Skeleton Key (Universal)
    * Smokey and the Bandit (Universal)
    * The Ultimate Matrix Collection (Warner)

Blu-ray

* Apocalypto  (Buena Vista)
    * Closer (Sony)
    * Flags of Our Fathers (DreamWorks)
    * Freedom Writers (Paramount)
    * Letters from Iwo Jima (Warner)
    * M:I-2 (Paramount)
    * Mission: Impossible (Paramount)
    * Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (Buena Vista)
    * Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (Buena Vista)
    * Primeval (Buena Vista)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1172 on: Apr 04, 2007 at 09:15 PM »
Wow I'm salivating over all the nice tittles....  :-*

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1173 on: Apr 04, 2007 at 10:38 PM »
My wallet will be a lot thinner if i give in to buying those titles  ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #1174 on: Apr 04, 2007 at 10:41 PM »
time to save up guys...thats still a good month a half away..... ;D ;D

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #1175 on: Apr 05, 2007 at 02:54 PM »
Updated Toshiba HD-A1 firmware from 2.0 to 2.1 last night. Don't really know what improved. ???
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2007 at 02:55 PM by alvinthx2 »
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline NeilNo

• DVD Guru
  • PSN:redoctober
  • Liked:
« Reply #1176 on: Apr 05, 2007 at 07:48 PM »

I already narrowed mine to Flags, Iwo, Apocalypto, Ultimate Matrix and Pirates 1&2.  ;D

Cheers everyone!!!
UN65H6400 3D, LN52A650, 55LW5600 3D, TX-NR636 7.2/5.2.2 Dolby Atmos

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #1177 on: Apr 05, 2007 at 08:57 PM »
I already narrowed mine to Flags, Iwo, Apocalypto, Ultimate Matrix and Pirates 1&2.  ;D

Cheers everyone!!!
will follow your steps sir Neil....minus Flags.....still mighty costly day... :)

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1178 on: Apr 06, 2007 at 09:09 AM »
flags, iwo, matrix trilogy and pirates 1&2 for me

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1179 on: Apr 06, 2007 at 10:32 AM »
Must be signs of aging.
POTC1 daughter rented at least 2x but I never had the interest to watch in full.
POTC2 accompanied wife and daughter to the moviehouse last year but I dozed off.  daughter rented last week but I did some Sudoku while my ladies were watching, though I readily noticed how much richer the colors are in DVD compared to that of theater (well I rarely watch in theater anyways so perhaps di na sanay sa film-look).
I've enjoyed most of Depp's other movies though.

The Ultimate Matrix Collection, yeah that's the one for me but the wife just can't appreciate parts 2 and 3 no matter how much I explain.   Eastwood's war movies, yeah we're interested in them both.   Would have been interested in Apocalypto too if I had the Blu.
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2007 at 10:47 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1180 on: Apr 07, 2007 at 05:51 PM »
'Children of Men' HD DVD Hits Xbox 360 Playback Snag?

Children of Men plays perfectly on my add-on drive. The only complain I have is the 1.85:1 aspect ratio.  Cinematic feel diminishes with such tighter view but my daugther is quite elated that the whole 16x9 screen is filled out to the edges.

« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2007 at 10:04 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
HD DVD takes early lead in European market
« Reply #1181 on: Apr 10, 2007 at 01:25 PM »
HD DVD takes early lead in European market

"Blu-ray may have the upper hand in the North American high-definition market, but HD DVD appears to be the format of choice in Europe. European movie studios are favoring HD DVD over Blu-ray due to the cost savings involved in HD DVD duplication for these independent European studios, according to a report on the Financial Times"

Full article
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070409-hd-dvd-takes-early-lead-in-european-market.html

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #1182 on: Apr 12, 2007 at 08:32 AM »
teaser......

Spidey in HD??? Wow!!!!  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2007 at 08:32 AM by Munskie »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1183 on: Apr 12, 2007 at 08:37 AM »
It seems the Spidey 3 release date is 2 November 2007. Wow, this will be a great HD movie for all Spidey fans. Too bad only in BD  :'(

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #1184 on: Apr 12, 2007 at 01:38 PM »
Cross your fingers Studio Canal will release it in HD DVD for Europe.  ;D As they do for some Fox, BV, Disney and MGM titles. 

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1185 on: Apr 12, 2007 at 03:35 PM »
Yes yes all my 10 fingers & toes are all crossed na  ;D

Pls pls...I will pray hard  :P

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1186 on: Apr 12, 2007 at 03:48 PM »
Toshiba's HD-A20 HD DVD Player Hits Retailers' Shelves

As HD DVD disc sales soar, Toshiba meets growing demand with 1080p player offering an amazing high def experience for ONLY $499.99 (MSRP)

WAYNE, N.J., April 11 /PRNewswire/ -- Toshiba America Consumer Products, L.L.C. ("Toshiba") announced today that its newest HD DVD player, the HD-A20, is now shipping to U.S. retailers. Priced at $499.99 (MSRP), the HD-A20 adds to Toshiba's second generation of HD DVD players and makes 1080p resolution available at an attractive price point.

The Player: With 1080p output capability, Toshiba's HD-A20 joins the existing Toshiba HD DVD line-up which includes the entry level HD-A2 and the top of the line, HD-XA2. This expanded line of products offers enhanced functionalities of the HD DVD format and is proof of Toshiba's commitment to the smooth transition to the next stage in high definition entertainment. Through an HDMI(TM) interface, DVD content can be upconverted to near HD picture quality. The HD-A2, HD-A20 and HD-XA2 are all backward compatible, so users can continue to enjoy their libraries of current DVD and CD software.

Interactivity: All of Toshiba's HD DVD players feature interactive capabilities and an Ethernet port to support networking, to provide users with the potential to download great content like streaming audio commentary, new audio languages and new HD trailers when a network-enabled HD DVD disc is played.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1187 on: Apr 12, 2007 at 10:44 PM »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1188 on: Apr 12, 2007 at 11:59 PM »
The time to become a format neutral is near....  ;D

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1189 on: Apr 13, 2007 at 07:57 AM »

Full HD trailer now available for download on the PS3 from the US Playstation store 8)
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2007 at 07:59 AM by aeris30 »

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1190 on: Apr 13, 2007 at 01:01 PM »
Yes yes all my 10 fingers & toes are all crossed na  ;D

Pls pls...I will pray hard  :P

alien ... alien ...   eeekk!  ;D
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #1191 on: Apr 13, 2007 at 01:05 PM »

bring on the trilogy!!!!  ;D ;D ;D  the DVD of Spidey 1 and 2 already looks great......

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1192 on: Apr 13, 2007 at 01:29 PM »
bring on the trilogy!!!!  ;D ;D ;D  the DVD of Spidey 1 and 2 already looks great......

No need na...one is enough na. We HD-DVD have nothing at all  ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #1193 on: Apr 13, 2007 at 03:34 PM »
New 'Heroes' HD DVD Details Leaked

Fresh details have surfaced online for the highly-anticipated HD DVD release of 'Heroes: Season One,' with the set now expected to include bonus features exclusive to the next-gen release.

According to this recent post at the 'Heroes' fansite www.herosite.net, the first season of NBC's breakout superhero series is shaping up to be a feature-packed HD DVD box set.

One of the site's readers, Nick Grugin, brought back a report from the recent Wizard World convention held in Los Angeles, which hosted a panel featuring the 'Heroes' creators and key creative personnel.

Among the tidbits revealed is a planned simultaneous DVD and HD DVD release for 'Heroes: Season One,' though no date has yet been set. Extras planned for the HD DVD version include a newly-cleared 72-minute original pilot episode, which first debuted at San Diego's ComiCon early last year. The show's producers also hope to include additional extras exclusive to the next-gen release, disc space permitting.

While a firm release date for 'Heroes: Season One' has not yet been announced by the series' home video distributor, Universal Studios Home Entertainment, a planned August launch is currently expected, following a recent online leak of the studio's entire 2007 HD DVD line-up.

With so few TV on high-def titles currently in the marketplace, the show's fast-growing cult audience coupled with a very HD-ready visual style makes 'Heroes: Season One' easily one of the more anticipated next-gen titles of this year.

We'll certainly keep you posted on further 'Heroes' news as soon as it is officially confirmed. Watch this space!

Paul, are you following Heroes?  this is great news!!   Holy Maccaroons!!!  ;D ;D

this cheerleader in HD!!  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2007 at 03:36 PM by Munskie »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1194 on: Apr 13, 2007 at 03:57 PM »
Hooyah  :o I supposedto get the regular DVD Season One na....but looks like I may change my mind now & wait for the HD release  :D

GREAT GREAT NEWS!!  :-*
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2007 at 03:58 PM by pchin »

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #1195 on: Apr 13, 2007 at 05:18 PM »
Samsung says Duo HD BD-UP5000 dual-format Blu-ray/HD-DVD combo player on the way

Samsung's been seriously non-committal about whether or not they were going to come out with a dual-format HD-DVD / Blu-ray combo player for a while now (they first said they working on one back in September of '05, only to retract that a few months later), but no more: it's officially happening. They've just announced the Duo HD BD-UP5000, their first player to support both HD disc formats. LG beat 'em to the punch with the BH100, but Samsung is promising that the Duo HD BD-UP5000 will have full support for HD-DVD (including support for HDi), something LG hasn't been able to offer with its player. We're still waiting to hear details about pricing and all that, but they are promising that the combo player will be out "in time for the holidays."

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/12/samsung-bd-up5000-dual-format-blu-ray-hd-dvd-combo-player-on-the/

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1196 on: Apr 15, 2007 at 10:08 AM »
"Also this morning, 20th Century Fox has announced a new 4-disc Die Hard: Collection DVD box set for release on 6/19, containing single-disc versions of Die Hard, Die Hard 2: Die Harder and Die Hard with a Vengeance, as well as a new bonus disc with an hour of exclusive content including the Live Free or Die Hard teaser trailer and 2 featurettes (Wrong Guy, Wrong Place, Wrong Time: A Look Back at Die Hard and The Continuing Adventures of John McClane). We suspect Blu-ray Disc versions of these films are in the offing for release later in 2007, coinciding with the eventual release of the forthcoming Live Free or Die Hard (due in theaters on 6/27)." - Bill Hunt

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
The War Begins...
« Reply #1197 on: Apr 15, 2007 at 09:01 PM »
Digital Video Essentials - High Definition (HD DVD)

Excerpt:

"So now we're moving into the era of High Definition media, and here comes Digital Video Essentials – High Definition to blaze a trail as the first HD DVD calibration disc. Amid fears that it would be yet another JKP design disaster, lo and behold the new DVE is much improved in organization and layout. The HDi menu interface is divided sensibly into sections for video and audio, and within each the program material is arranged in an intuitive scrolling title system sort of like an iPod playlist. For each title selected, text information appears on the side of the screen explaining what the test pattern is and how to use it.

A complete bevy of video test material is available here: color bars, pluges, needle pulses, gray ramps and color ramps, overscan and SMPTE charts, luma and chroma steps, resolution tests, geometry and convergence patterns, video response sweeps, and zone plates. The disc even includes dedicated patterns for 720p and 1080p resolutions. There's a test to verify proper 1080i deinterlacing to 1080p, though it's a very simple test that doesn't take into consideration complex cadence patterns. There's also a check for audio sync. Some of the tests a user can do on his or her own, while others require specialized equipment (oscilloscopes, color analyzers, waveform monitors, etc.) that you'll have to call in a professional calibrator for. On the audio side of things we have pink noise, test tones, frequency sweeps, subwoofer phase checks, and tests for levels and balance. The majority of these will require a sound level meter."

Final Thoughts:
A good calibration disc is the lynchpin of any home theater installation. Every HD DVD owner should have a copy of Digital Video Essentials. Highly recommended.

Full article: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=27556
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2007 at 09:02 PM by pchin »

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
« Reply #1198 on: Apr 16, 2007 at 12:43 PM »
BD+ Titles Coming Soon

This should mean a flood of more BD titles once BD+ is implemented:

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6433561.html

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2410
« Reply #1199 on: Apr 16, 2007 at 01:06 PM »
Planet earth hddvd version hit #5 as a topseller in amazon. Awesome feat for hddvd. Im waiting for my copy hurray... 8)