Author Topic: The War Begins...  (Read 107176 times)

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The War Begins...
« Reply #1320 on: May 23, 2007 at 12:17 PM »
Funai to produce inexpensive Blu-ray players.

http://www.w.engadgethd.com/2007/05/22/funai-to-produce-inexpensive-blu-ray-players/

enough about plans, just produce and sell one already hehe ;D

Offline Kratos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1321 on: May 23, 2007 at 01:13 PM »
IMO, the only compelling reason to buy a PS3 soon is to watch BD.  In terms of games, PS3 will always play catch-up with 360 during its entire lifespan.  But that's not so bad as long as a considerable user-base is eventually established.  Utter domination similar to that achieved by PS2 cannot be expected this time around.

The 360 seized the "initial awe of next-gen HD gaming -  the oomph factor" by releasing a full year in advance of PS3 and that I think is very significant, not to mention Xbox live which is generations ahead of any online gaming network.  No matter what reviewers say, nothing that PS3 released thus far can amaze me more than any prime 360 game.  There may be some differences in graphics quality of particular titles, or additional 10 hours in a 100-hour game, or some features missing, but you'd have to be real certified a*s to claim with conviction that such distinctions are meaningful at all.

Online gaming experience beats the single player euphoria that i have in gaming. I spend more time playing online multiplayer than finishing up a campaign in what im playing in 360 right now. Kaya ambaba ng achievement points ko e. :( Met a lot of friends and we are not only players but a community of gamers having fun and sharing so many things that you wont be able to do in single player games. Gaming never felt this good since i played online on a console.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007 at 07:34 PM by Kratos »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1322 on: May 23, 2007 at 02:55 PM »
enough about plans, just produce and sell one already hehe ;D

It has been years since I last saw a Funai brand electronic device that I thought the company folded already or has been taken over (just like Aiwa).  It was a cheap VHS player I believe.   Well if Funai can make bd players, then it's got to be cheap.   :)

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
« Reply #1323 on: May 23, 2007 at 11:02 PM »
It has been years since I last saw a Funai brand electronic device that I thought the company folded already or has been taken over (just like Aiwa).  It was a cheap VHS player I believe.   Well if Funai can make bd players, then it's got to be cheap.   :)

Funai's always been around, they're just "hidden" as an OEM supplier for other brands

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #1324 on: May 24, 2007 at 02:25 PM »
repost ko lang.

PS3 Firmware 1.80 announced: Upscaling and Remote Play

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced today availability of the latest version of the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) firmware. Version 1.80 features upscaling of PlayStation® and PlayStation 2 games, and DVD movies up to full 1080p HD resolution when viewed on a compatible HD TV set.

http://www.gameswank.com/content/view/100/1/

good news from sony. can any ps3 owners here give a review?

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1325 on: May 25, 2007 at 08:34 AM »
repost ko lang.

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced today availability of the latest version of the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) firmware. Version 1.80 features upscaling of PlayStation® and PlayStation 2 games, and DVD movies up to full 1080p HD resolution when viewed on a compatible HD TV set.

Patanong nga because I never really know.  Are the PS1 and PS2 games 480p native, or 480i lang lahat?

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1326 on: May 25, 2007 at 10:21 AM »
Upscaling game or DVD output

-You can now upscale the video content of PlayStation® format software, PlayStation®2 format software, and DVDs to HD resolution.

PS/PS2 Upscaler
You can adjust settings to upscale video output from PlayStation®2 and PlayStation® format software.

Off              -Disable upscaled output. 
Normal        -Upscale and display at a size that matches the screen size. 
Full Screen   -Upscale and display at full screen by changing proportions and stretching the image. 

Note
If image quality is reduced or the image does not look right when upscaled, set this option to [Off].
PS/PS2 Smoothing
You can adjust settings to reduce the roughness of video from PlayStation®2 and PlayStation® format software.

Off    - Disable smoothing.
On     - Use smoothing to reduce the roughness of the displayed image.

Notes
The [PS/PS2 Smoothing] setting can be used even when [PS/PS2 Upscaler] is set to [Off].
With some software, the smoothing effect may not be noticeable or image quality may be reduced if this option is set to [On]. In that case, set to [Off].

Upscaling DVD output
[DVD Upscaler] has been added as an option in  (BD/DVD Settings) under  (Settings). You can adjust settings for upscaled output of DVDs.

Off                   -Disable upscaled output.
Double Scale*    -Upscale and display with double horizontal and vertical dimensions without changing the proportions.
Normal             -Upscale and display at a size that matches the screen size.
Full Screen        -Upscale and display at full screen by changing proportions and stretching the image. 

* This option can be used only when the PS3™ system is set to output video at 1080p or 1080i via an HDMI or component AV cable.

Notes
When playing copyright-protected DVD content such as the content on commercially available DVD-Video, an HDMI cable is required to upscale the video content.
If image quality is reduced or the image does not look right when upscaled, set this option to [Off].

« Last Edit: May 25, 2007 at 10:22 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline crey014

• Collector
  • Buongiorno a Tutti!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1327 on: May 27, 2007 at 03:07 PM »
Upscaling. What a big joke that is. Our last attempt to make our DVDs "un-useless".  :D

Anyway, what's this I hear about Blu-Ray - HD DVD discs in one from Warner? Warner has already been making crap discs and adding more useless material will just make it even more annoying.  >:(

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1328 on: May 27, 2007 at 05:11 PM »
^ its called totalhd, however Warner hasnt released any title in this format. At least most of the hd dvd titles released by warner cannot be considered crap 8)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1329 on: May 27, 2007 at 05:24 PM »
crey014, I'm not sure which crap discs are you referring to but WB had released some of the Tier 0 or 5-Star rating films such as Corpse Bride, Happy Feet & Ant Bully.

What is "useless materials"?  ;D 

Offline crey014

• Collector
  • Buongiorno a Tutti!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1330 on: May 28, 2007 at 05:26 AM »
Well, most of the movies I like under warner were just not upto par. Leaving me feeling a bit pissed off.  >:(

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #1331 on: May 28, 2007 at 07:28 AM »
Well, most of the movies I like under warner were just not upto par. Leaving me feeling a bit pissed off.  >:(

are you referring to its pq output/encoding?
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline crey014

• Collector
  • Buongiorno a Tutti!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1332 on: May 28, 2007 at 10:48 AM »
Generally, the PQ, to be honest. Hopefully they won't stuff up on "300".

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2410
« Reply #1333 on: May 28, 2007 at 01:04 PM »
IMO warners have one of the better transfers, great PQ to me

Offline Kratos

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1334 on: May 28, 2007 at 01:43 PM »
Generally, the PQ, to be honest. Hopefully they won't stuff up on "300".

I dont think you'll see sharp and crisp PQ on 300 since the whole movie is grainy in the first place.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007 at 01:43 PM by Kratos »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1335 on: May 28, 2007 at 10:35 PM »
Toshiba Car HD DVD Player

It is a natural development to bring HD into cars. Do we need it?  ;D

http://www.i4u.com/article9168.html

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #1336 on: May 28, 2007 at 10:44 PM »
IMO warners have one of the better transfers, great PQ to me
I agree.  There's Batman Begins.....Corpse Bride......then theres the Matrix Trilogy..........

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #1337 on: May 28, 2007 at 10:45 PM »

In my end, I dont think I need it.  I dont even have a monitor in my ride.   

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1338 on: May 28, 2007 at 10:59 PM »
I agree.  There's Batman Begins.....Corpse Bride......then theres the Matrix Trilogy..........

Yeah...that reminds me my Matrix HD DVD order should be arriving any time this week!  :D

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #1339 on: Jun 05, 2007 at 02:27 PM »
If Sony or Microsoft can pull a Nintendo act, that is, develop a game or an add-on feature that is not only a chick magnet but also a tatay/nanay/lolo/lola lure, that would be more exciting.  I'm truly amazed seeing chic Japanese ladies completely engrossed with their DS while in the train, although that still cannot beat my fascination of watching them do their make-up in mass public transport :)

I am also amazed why the DS is doing so well  ??? In all of the store in the US na nabisita ko in the past few days, mas madami naghahanap ng DS. Kahit sa airport yung mga kids puro DS yung nilalaro. Even my kids mas excited dun sa uwi kong DS as compared to new PSP Games  ???

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #1340 on: Jun 12, 2007 at 08:29 AM »
Planet earth on hddvd just hit No. 3 on amazon. To me truly amazing..I dont think any hd disc whether hddvd or blu-ray has hit No. 3 yet.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #1341 on: Jun 12, 2007 at 01:11 PM »

Maybe not, but there's also HD development on the way for Cellphones.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #1342 on: Jun 19, 2007 at 10:51 AM »

Blockbuster Bets on Blu-Ray
Evelyn M. Rusli, 06.18.07, 1:30 PM ET

A year ago, HD DVD players were touted as the next big thing in home entertainment. Now, industry watchdogs wonder if Toshiba's pet project will become obsolete.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2007/06/18/bluray-blockbuster-update-markets-equity-cx_er_0618markets31.html

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1343 on: Jun 20, 2007 at 05:51 AM »
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Disc_Announcements/Starz/Starz_Home_Entertainment_Announces_Blu-ray_Support_with_Masters_of_Horror/709

Starz Home Entertainment Announces Blu-ray Support with 'Masters of Horror'
Tue Jun 19, 2007 at 03:32 PM ET
Tags: Disc Announcements (all tags)

Blu-ray has an unexpected new backer in the high-def format war, with Starz Home Entertainment announcing exclusive support of the format with its first release 'Masters of Horror.'

Among the classics in the Anchor Bay library include 'Halloween,' 'The Evil Dead,' 'Re-Animator and the original 'Night of the Living Dead.' Should 'Masters of Horror' on Blu-ray score with consumers, it seems likely that at least some of these genre staples would follow.

Clark went on to say that the company has no current plans to release on rival next-gen format HD DVD.

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1344 on: Jun 20, 2007 at 05:56 AM »
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Disc_Announcements/MGM/Sergio_Leone_Anthology_Leads_Fourth_Quarter_MGM_Blu-ray_Revival/710

Sergio Leone Anthology' Leads Fourth Quarter MGM Blu-ray Revival

After an absence of several months from the next-gen scene, MGM Home Entertainment is renewing its Blu-ray commitment with a wave of nearly a dozen new titles set for release in the fourth quarter.

Though an early proponent of Blu-ray (along with parent distributor Fox Home Entertainment), MGM has not released a title on the format since 'Hoosiers' in early March. The studio has now finally broken their silence with a pledge of at least ten to twelve new Blu-ray releases by the end of 2007.

Only one specific title was revealed -- a 'Sergio Leone Anthology' box set, featuring four of the director's classic titles, including 'A Fistful of Dollars,' 'For a Few Dollars More,' 'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly' and 'Duck, You Sucker.'

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #1345 on: Jun 20, 2007 at 02:03 PM »
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Disc_Announcements/MGM/Sergio_Leone_Anthology_Leads_Fourth_Quarter_MGM_Blu-ray_Revival/710

Sergio Leone Anthology' Leads Fourth Quarter MGM Blu-ray Revival

After an absence of several months from the next-gen scene, MGM Home Entertainment is renewing its Blu-ray commitment with a wave of nearly a dozen new titles set for release in the fourth quarter.

Though an early proponent of Blu-ray (along with parent distributor Fox Home Entertainment), MGM has not released a title on the format since 'Hoosiers' in early March. The studio has now finally broken their silence with a pledge of at least ten to twelve new Blu-ray releases by the end of 2007.

Only one specific title was revealed -- a 'Sergio Leone Anthology' box set, featuring four of the director's classic titles, including 'A Fistful of Dollars,' 'For a Few Dollars More,' 'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly' and 'Duck, You Sucker.'
Its denied by MGM
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/MGM/Disc_Announcements/UPDATE:_MGM_Denies_Reports_of_Fourth_Quarter_Blu-ray_Revival/710

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #1346 on: Jun 21, 2007 at 10:33 AM »
Secaucus, N.J. — Joseph Taylor, executive VP/COO of Panasonic Corporation of North America, said Blu-ray has won the HD disc format battle and indicated while the company is still solidly behind plasma, LCD may get more attention. Concerning Blu-ray and HD DVD, Taylor commented, "I'm giving a very politically incorrect answer. I think the battle is over. I think Blu-ray has won."

He said there are two "determining factor(s) ... Who did the content providers select? At the moment, overwhelmingly, the content providers have selected Blu-ray. What are consumers buying? Since the beginning of the year content (sales have been) almost two to one for Blu-ray." 

http://www.twice.com/index.asp?layout=articlePrint&articleID=CA6453379

« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2007 at 01:30 PM by bachwitz »

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1347 on: Jun 22, 2007 at 03:31 PM »
http://gear.ign.com/articles/798/798463p1.html

Blu-ray Holds 5 to 1 Hardware Lead Over HD-DVD
PlayStation 3 comprises bulk of install base.

June 21, 2007 - As reported by Video Business, research firm Digital Entertainment Group has compiled what would appear to be a solid breakdown of the numbers of next-generation DVD players sold in the United States. The research firm concludes that Blu-ray presently holds a 5 to 1 advantage over HD-DVD in installed hardware, primarily on the strength of the PlayStation 3.

According to DEG, 1.5-million Blu-ray players reside in American homes, broken down between 100,000 dedicated players and 1.4-million PlayStation 3s. The HD-DVD install base stands at 300,000 units, apparently evenly split between dedicated players and the HD-DVD add-on drives for the Xbox 360. Such figures are roughly in line with the HD-DVD camp's now slightly dated claim of selling 60% of all dedicated next-gen players. DEG also reported that $55-million has been spent on high-definition movies to date, the majority ($35-million) devoted to Blu-ray.

The figures reveal a not unexpected yet telling picture of the next-gen DVD business. The fact that, roughly a year after each format's launch, neither has sold an impressive number of dedicated hardware units exposes the extremely significant role videogamers are playing in the development of the technologies. PlayStation 3 owners are undoubtedly driving Blu-ray movie sales, and by dint, the entire next-gen DVD industry. What impact this will have on the health of high-definition movies sales remains to be seen, but the situation is undoubtedly unique in that fans of one media (videogames) are defining the future of another (HD-movies).

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #1348 on: Jun 22, 2007 at 07:52 PM »

June 21, 2007 - As reported by Video Business, research firm Digital Entertainment Group has compiled what would appear to be a solid breakdown of the numbers of next-generation DVD players sold in the United States. The research firm concludes that Blu-ray presently holds a 5 to 1 advantage over HD-DVD in installed hardware, primarily on the strength of the PlayStation 3.

According to DEG, 1.5-million Blu-ray players reside in American homes, broken down between 100,000 dedicated players and 1.4-million PlayStation 3s. The HD-DVD install base stands at 300,000 units, apparently evenly split between dedicated players and the HD-DVD add-on drives for the Xbox 360. Such figures are roughly in line with the HD-DVD camp's now slightly dated claim of selling 60% of all dedicated next-gen players. DEG also reported that $55-million has been spent on high-definition movies to date, the majority ($35-million) devoted to Blu-ray.

The figures reveal a not unexpected yet telling picture of the next-gen DVD business. The fact that, roughly a year after each format's launch, neither has sold an impressive number of dedicated hardware units exposes the extremely significant role videogamers are playing in the development of the technologies. PlayStation 3 owners are undoubtedly driving Blu-ray movie sales, and by dint, the entire next-gen DVD industry. What impact this will have on the health of high-definition movies sales remains to be seen, but the situation is undoubtedly unique in that fans of one media (videogames) are defining the future of another (HD-movies).

That proves Microsoft made a mistake making the HD DVD an add on drive only. With an 8.76M X360 units sold so far(vs. 1.67M PS3s) that's 5X more than the PS3, it would definitely help boost sales of HD DVD movies . . .tsk tsk :D

Recap:
Dedicated HD DVD players - - - - - 150,000 units sold
Dedicated Blu-ray players - - - - - 100,000 units sold

XBOX360  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 8.76M units sold
HD DVD add on drive - - - - - - - - 150,000 units sold/HD DVD movies supporters

PS3  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1.67M units sold/ ? Blu-ray movies supporters

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #1349 on: Jun 22, 2007 at 08:34 PM »

Ah finally figures that just proves blu-ray or both formats are not selling well, especially blu-ray. If the blu-ray hardware lead is 5 to 1. It doesnt show in the disc sales. Blu-ray disc sales is not whipping hddvd by a 5 to 1 margin. I may be wrong but im quite sure its not 5 to 1. If its just 2 to 1, it sure is a pity for blu-ray. The problem is all ps3 is always counted as a blu-ray player. Just my observation..