Author Topic: NEXTBASE DVD  (Read 245822 times)

Offline nescafe_frothe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • domestic goddess!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:NEXTBASE DVD (was:Scarcity in Quiapo)
« Reply #30 on: Aug 03, 2002 at 06:14 AM »
bestbuy:  does nextbase have a warranty when u bot it?  does pioneer service center do the support for the said player?  san store mo nabili yung unit mo?

nirvblkr:  where in raon?  i'm from the south, d ako familiar sa quiapo, if i am in quiapo church, pls give me the directions in going to the mall wer i can get nextbase at 4,500

please help me decide, i'm considering xenon (6,600)sa abenson service daw is pioneer serv ctr accdg to the salesman.  when i read this thread, i was convinced 2 get nextbase,  my budget would be limited to p-discs so please advise me wat player should i get considering my tight budget for both player and disc

thanks to all!!!

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #31 on: Aug 03, 2002 at 08:02 AM »
Nescafe_Frothe  Nirvblakr gave the directions in the Generics thread....anyway...for simplicities sake....go straight ahead till you reacjh RAON, the corner Mall that houses the Chow King I believe is the Raon Center Mall...and as Nirvblakr posted it's the 1st stall that sells numerous VCD and DVD players.
I wouldn't worry if I were you...give them 2 more days and all the stalls will probably be selling their players for Php4,000.00...considering that your nearest competitor for a unit is the Quiapo based Abus who seemingly has abandoned the concept of having a workhorse DVD for testing their discs.
It's currently a buyers market out there for DVD players.

Offline kb14

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Aug 04, 2002 at 12:21 AM »
tnx sir alfie for those infos :Dwell, im planning to get a branded dvd player.its either pioneer 533k or 535k.question,which is better?

Offline bestbuy88

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
to nescafe_frothe
« Reply #33 on: Aug 04, 2002 at 04:10 AM »
nescafe,

1. i got my unit from WATSON PHOTO SUPPLY which is across the side entrance of SM Manila/Quiapo Carriedo branch. i got it at 4,800pesos. I was told to keep the receipt for a six month warranty.  Watson Photo Supply has a good reputation in their trade, so i am sure when he says six months, he means it.

2. although Watson Photo supply did not specifically mentioned "any pioneer service center" as authorized service center for the nextbase, he did mentioned that after sales support for the unit is available because there exist a local service center for that brand.

it was when i went shopping at virra mall in greenhills last sunday, walked along second floor and saw NINTENDO selling the nextbase (at 4,850) and their "in house" brand ELECOM, who told me that both units/brands were serviced by PIONEER service centers nationwide. In fact they even explicitly posted their claim in the poster you will see hanged atop these players they sell.

gud luck. so far so good pa rin ang NB. only "all the president's men" pdisc has not played, but neither did it played in promac dvd2002 and sast aep816.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #34 on: Aug 04, 2002 at 07:40 AM »

tnx sir alfie for those infos :Dwell, im planning to get a branded dvd player.its either pioneer 533k or 535k.question,which is better?

If I were you, I'd go for the Pioneer 533k.  It can already play MP3s and has a slim design.  Owned one for over a year and has not ditched me yet. ;D

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #35 on: Aug 04, 2002 at 07:48 AM »

KB14  I'm so sorry I cannot help you decide here... I have to be frank with you... due to the Macrovision (Copyright protection) incorporated in the Pioneer brands I shy away from them...furthermore the Pioneer brands do not really appeal to me (ask Nirvblakr..I tried to make him shy away from getting the 533k) since my observation is that they're overpriced and prone to overheating....but this are just my prejudicial comments to this brand and should be taken with a grain of salt since I never did own any Pioneer DVD....my observations were based on the DVD players of my favorite Abus(a 533k and 355) and mostly the posts of various members here in this community.
Lastly...I cannot really comment on the 535K...I have not seen it.  ??? ;) :)

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Aug 04, 2002 at 07:54 AM »

nirvblkr:  where in raon?  i'm from the south, d ako familiar sa quiapo, if i am in quiapo church, pls give me the directions in going to the mall wer i can get nextbase at 4,500

If you are in the Quiapo church side, just walk a little further along Quezon Avenue going to Recto.  You will see an overpass where people cross Quezon Avenue.  That street on your left where the people go down is Gil Puyat St. or Raon.  On the corner of Quezon Avenue and Gil Puyat St, there is an electronic shopping complex there named Raon Electronic Center.  At the first corner store (you don't have to go inside the center) you will see a stall with DVD and VCD players on top of each other.  That's the place!

Hope you don't get lost after I gave a graphic direction of the place!  ;D Good Luck and let us know!

Ciao!

nirvblakr

Offline iceman_1900

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Aug 05, 2002 at 10:02 AM »
hi guys!

just saw this Next Base Portable DVD player selling at P6500.  it does not come with the usual LCD display thats why its cheap Vs the rest of the portable DVDs.

this is the same player that you see when you do a google search for Next base dvd player, espanol nga  lang sa internet.

hindi ko na pina-try dahil wala naman akong pera pambili. hehehe :)

to our moderator:
post ko na lang to dito tutal tungkol sa Nextbase DVD player, portable nga lang nakita ko. :)

Offline rrr

• Apprentice
  • i'll have to buy the white album all over again
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Aug 05, 2002 at 10:25 PM »
iceman,

but where o where did u see it?

:)

rrr

Offline iceman_1900

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Aug 06, 2002 at 09:17 AM »
i saw it in an electronic shop 3rd Level in Robinsons Imus.  sorry forgot the name e. pero i saw the Nextbase portable dvd player just 2 weeks ago.

they also sell generic china made dvd players & cd players, dvds etc.

Offline rrr

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Aug 08, 2002 at 02:35 AM »
dear mr nextbuy ehe sorry :-X  bestbuy  ;)

how would you compare the dts decoder of xenon and nextbase?

thank you,

rrr

Offline bestbuy88

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Aug 08, 2002 at 04:02 AM »
rrr,

i cannot make a comparison since i do not own a Xenon. i have seen it, but i have not been able to tinker with it.

i can only comment on the NextBase DVD-9000 and so far, it has the advantage over both Promac DVD-2002 and SAST AEP-816 in that the NB can play all discs i have owned so far (except for All the President's Men).  the NB played all the discs that were not read by promac and sast.

the NB allows you to watch a PAL disc from a dedicated NTSC TV without any problems.

those have been the major plus points why i strongly recommend the NB over both promac dvd-2002 and sast aep816.

playing dvd discs on it also did not cause the disc to be as hot as that if placed on the SAST.

sincerely,

nextbuy. este bestbuy (nahawa na rin)
august 8

Offline dongkhoi

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Aug 08, 2002 at 08:29 AM »
bestbuy,

meron bang internal dts decoder and nextbase just like the sast ???

Thanks

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Aug 09, 2002 at 05:56 AM »
I think an internal DTS decoder would be of great use if you have at least a Dolby Prologic receiver with 5.1 channel inputs.  But a DTS track downmixed to 2 channels (as in connected direct to a TV) wouldn't be as gratifying for the effects will only drown the dialogues.

Just my half cent....

nirvblakr ;D

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Aug 09, 2002 at 10:19 AM »

bestbuy,

meron bang internal dts decoder and nextbase just like the sast ???

Thanks

Sa palagay ko wala. Kasi nakalagay sa logo nya 'dts digital out' in the chassis. At sabi ni bestbuy88, he did not hear a thing when he swicthed the audio to dts. Care to verify Mr. Bestbuy88? Thanks.

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Aug 10, 2002 at 12:35 PM »
IMHO, if a player has dts digital out in the chassis, it is just a DTS pass through and you need an external decoder from a receiver to decode DTS but if it says dts surround on the chassis then it most probably has the internal decoder.

cheers,

nirvblakr 8)

Offline jojitb

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Aug 12, 2002 at 06:08 PM »
We tried to buy a NEXTBASE for my brother yesterday at the Raon Shopping Center but only one store had it and was selling it at P5k.  We decided to just get a player called BEST because it played all the DVDs my SAST would not play and it has a 6months Warranty against the 3 months of the nextbase.  It also cost us only P4.3K....

Offline tx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Aug 14, 2002 at 09:11 AM »
Hi...i'm new here! but been viewing your treads forthe past 2 weeks...it's very informative...i went to quiapo last sunday and bought nextbase from one of the stores in Raon Electronic mall. It is nice.  It plays all my pdisks. and i'm very happy w/ it.  Bought mine for 4,400.  nakita ko rin yun Best brand and they are selling it for 4T, wala pang tawad.  thanks to you guys especially bestbuy for the very informative review of Nextbase.

Offline @tomicZen

• Collector
  • AtomicZen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Aug 14, 2002 at 09:31 AM »
People,

Nextbase DVD compare to Xenon DVD?
@tomicZen

Offline levi

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Aug 14, 2002 at 09:54 PM »
I just want to share. I saw a shop in Virra Mall that sells Nextbase DVD players. It is at the back of Astrovision ( 2nd floor ), a corner store that sells mostly video game gears. I was not able to ask how much but when I tried to view the rear, it doesnt have a DTS decoder.

Offline tx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Aug 18, 2002 at 08:04 PM »
Yes.  Nextbase doesn't have internal DTS decoder.  

Offline iceman_1900

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Aug 19, 2002 at 04:42 PM »
bestbuy,

remember i complained last time that the nextbase player i bought can't play all of my dvds. well, last week my player wasnt able to play most of my dvds. hirap niyang basahin yung iba, para lang mabasa i need to open & close the disc tray a couple of times before the player can read the discs.  i tried playing my discs sa PC then nagplay naman siya so i suspect na talagang meron sira yung player na nabili ko.

so yesterday balik ko yung player ko dala yung iba kong discs na di naple-play. try namin yung discs ko sa bagong stock nilang nextbase at nagplay naman. so they replaced my unit with a new one. and now i am agreeing that nextbase can play all of the discs without any problems.

sa ghills ko nga pala nabili yung unit ko. they are now selling it at P4798 but of course they can give it to you at a lower cost after you haggle. nung sa akin binaba nila ng mga 200 pesos,selling price nila 3 wks ago P4980, all units have 6mos warranty.

Offline bestbuy88

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
iceman
« Reply #52 on: Aug 20, 2002 at 08:18 AM »
sa nintendo mo iyan nabili, the same store selling the ELECOM brand allegedly repairable by any pioneer service center.

anyway, good thing that the store allowed you to have the unit changed. except for the still unconfirmed DTS DECODING due to my inavailability for speakers for home theater AND the unreadability of my "all the president's men" dvd disc, i dare say that Nextbase has yet to fail me with my recent purchases of dvd movies.

some have mentioned buying this unit at raon/quiapo electronic mall for as low as 4,400 yata, in earlier postings. medyo nakaka irita nga to know i spent 4,800 for it. but knowing it performs so well, comapred to other "generic" branded players like the new set of Promac's makes me feel that the money i spent was worth it naman.

enjoy your nextbase, and keep on using it so that any quirks that might come out will appear during the guaranty period pa rin.

Enjoy!!

bestbuy88

Offline rrr

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Aug 20, 2002 at 11:23 AM »
hello bestbuy,

I wish we can confirm if the nextbase hs a built in dts decoder.  Maybe if some one with a dts only dvd can try it out on a nextbase?

It maybe that a dts decoder (plus warranty insurance) may account for the price difference between the nextbase and the xenon. don't get me wrong.. If it is confirmed that the nextbase has a dts decoder i will seriously think of buying one even if I already have a xenon.

so the quest continues for a 5k or below player with a dts decoder that plays all disks. The xenon may have a dts decoder but does not play god(p)ather and (p)enhur.

I wonder if we can hold a generic dvd player face/off at some neutral ground so we can find out the generic player to rule them all?

On the other hand, baka naman there is no such thing as the perfect generic player or perfect anything for that matter. I think its the search for it that counts most.

rrr

Happiness is a warm  ___   (fill in the blanks)

Offline Roadster

• Collector
  • Cowabunga!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Aug 20, 2002 at 04:30 PM »
Just came from Virramall Greenhills and tested various
China made DVD players.

There are actually 2 models of the Nextbase dvd9000
available, an old version and a new one.
 The one in Nintendo Commercial is the newer
model. Though it has surround audio outputs at the
back of the unit, it was not able to produce the dts
sound from my p_ten commandment disc. so from
our test it does not have dts decoding.

The Xenon 810 player we bought was able to produce the dts encoding. Also, we were suprised that the Nextbase was unable to track my dual layer p_the good, the bad and the ugly which my Pioneer 233 do, as well as the the Xenon, the Orange and the Shinco
8300 players were able to do.

The next base Pal to Ntsc conversion had better picture
quality (resolution etc.) than that of the Xenon and Shinco. The orange had the worst Pal to NTSC conversion as well as having that irritating "elevator
ding" feature which you can not defeat everytime you
open or close the drawer.

The overall winner for us was the Xenon 810 which
we bought from Automatic center for 6,690 though
it is more expensive than the Nextbase and the Orange
and its appearance is less attractive with a led display
which tends to malfunction (the display unit they have
has a non functioning display).

Hope that helps those trying to figure out which
China made is better.

roadster

Offline tx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2002 at 05:22 PM by tx »

Offline firestorm

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Sep 01, 2002 at 08:18 PM »
There are actually 2 models of the Nextbase dvd9000
available, an old version and a new one.
The one in Nintendo Commercial is the newer
model. Though it has surround audio outputs at the
back of the unit, it was not able to produce the dts
sound from my p_ten commandment disc. so from
our test it does not have dts decoding.

Hi Roadster, how can you tell which version is the new one and old one? So it has no DTS decoding how about Dolby Digital can it decode it into 5.1 channels?

Offline Roadster

• Collector
  • Cowabunga!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Sep 01, 2002 at 08:26 PM »
Hi Firestorm,

how can you tell which version is the new one and old one?

Both front and rear of the units differ in appearance.
Easiest method is by looking at the rear. The old one
has lesser RCA phono outputs (no surround
decoding). The new one has more audio RCA phono
outputs for the Dolby Digital 5.1

So it has no DTS decoding how about Dolby Digital can it decode it into 5.1 channels?

Yes, as might be presumed from above, the new one
does decode Dolby Digital 5.1 but even as confirmed
at the Nextbase home page link provided by tx there
is no DTS decoder.

Hope that helps,
Roadster

Offline Great Buys

• Collector
  • Great Buys Hunter!!
  • Liked:
NEXTBASE Rocks!!
« Reply #58 on: Sep 03, 2002 at 06:57 AM »
Hurrah for Nextbase!!  ;D[/b]

I just bought my Nextbase DVD player yesterday and it was worth it. I got it for 4.6 thou in Watson's Foto Supply (this is just across the original SM-Manila branch near Carriedo LRT Station) and carries a 6 months warranty. I got the newer model and has tested it using an R1, R3, MP3, CD Audio, VCD and p*****d disk, they all played perfectly, it can even read a PAL encoded disk and colored ang labas nya sa NTSC TV!! Galeng talaga.  ;D :D

I don't have to worry anymore when I buy from the Abus, and very nice pa ang design nya. Definitely, this baby is worth endorsing.  ::)

Thanks to bestbuy for giving me pointers about this unit.  8)

Offline tx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Sep 03, 2002 at 10:19 AM »
Hi Great Buys!

;D ;D ;DWelcome to the satisfied owners of NextBase! ;D ;D ;D