Author Topic: hdmi dvd players  (Read 1859 times)

Offline kalawang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
hdmi dvd players
« on: Oct 11, 2006 at 03:09 AM »
mga sirs newb po, just want to ask kung worth it yung extra gastos to buy a new dvd player(upscaler)?
right now i have a progressive dvd player na philips na 480p ang output, and im using a 32" na lcd, baka kasi di ko rin mapapansin ang difference ng 720p sa 480p.

one more, pioneer 696 vs 490? di ko kailangan yung 5.1 output ng 696 and the avi ultra

Offline ganicru

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
Re: hdmi dvd players
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 01:54 PM »
Go for DVD player with 1080 interlaced . Mine is toshiba 360E with HDMI output connected to  Samsung LCD R71. Wow!
Panasonic PV70
Bose acoustimass 7, vcs10, mdl100x3
Velodyne CHT 8R
Kenwood KRF X9090D
Sony BDP S

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 02:17 PM »
I have tested a Sony HDMI dvd player with a 96 in projected image from my Panasonic AE900 and my 32" Hitachi LCD TV. Also tested a Samsung DVI dvdp with a 42" Panasonic EDTV Plasma.

My opinion is that there is a difference in PQ on all sizes of course, but the significance is not too big on a 32" set compared to the 42" & up.

Offline kalawang

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 05:53 PM »
thanks,

so that slight difference ba enough for me to buy a new dvd player and hdmi cable?
thats more than 10k, di ko alam kasi kung stick muna ako with my present setup na progressive scan na dvd player and monster cable na component, and if ever nalang im going to upgrade to a bigger monitor dun nalang ako mag upgrade ng player

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2006 at 10:54 AM »
That depends on you,  how much of a good image you want, or other factors.

As for me, I didnt. I was almost going to buy a BBK HDMI DVD player (w/ TONS of features) from Hong Kong but I stopped myself since I saw the difference was not huge. At a certain distance (my bed) from the TV all images look very clear naman. I am even using a dinosaur pioneer DVDp that doesnt have progressive scan ;D. Also, Since its my secondary setup for watching p***ted movies only (10% of the time) & for  my son watching his kiddie videos (90% of the time). We watch primarily w/ an upconverting DVD player in my main setup (96").

But if it is your primary setup, thats a different case. You may still want to have an upconverting DVD player even if the difference is not too big.

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2006 at 11:25 AM »
In my end, I saw a bit of difference between component and hdmi connections in my 2910 and HD-a1, with component output looking a little bit softer than what hdmi can do in a 96 in screen.  With HD though, it really comes close.  I also use component in my bedroom set-up with a 43 inch 4x3 screen...though Ive never compared it with hdmi (my rptv doesnt have hdmi input), i reckon diffrences become negligible as screen size decrease.... :)

Offline kalawang

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2006 at 01:15 AM »
thanks, my wife bought me the pioneer 696 already, there's a slight difference in the picture quality pero negligible, and some of my p...ted dvds are being compress by the player pag 720p or 1080i, kaya sa ibang dvds ko im still using the component cable or ginagawa kong 480p lang para maging normal ang size.

i was not that happy with the pq, i just dont know kung pangit lang ang cable, im using just a generic hdmi cable na tag 1200 lang, malaking mas mahal pa yung component cable ko :D

although im happy with the player dahil sa sacd and dvd audio.

Offline du1mij

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2006 at 08:42 PM »
thanks, my wife bought me the pioneer 696 already, there's a slight difference in the picture quality pero negligible, and some of my p...ted dvds are being compress by the player pag 720p or 1080i, kaya sa ibang dvds ko im still using the component cable or ginagawa kong 480p lang para maging normal ang size.

i was not that happy with the pq, i just dont know kung pangit lang ang cable, im using just a generic hdmi cable na tag 1200 lang, malaking mas mahal pa yung component cable ko :D

although im happy with the player dahil sa sacd and dvd audio.

Puwede po bang itanong kung saan nabili ng wife n'yo yung 696 and at kung magkano?  (kung puwede lang naman po)  Thanks.

Offline kalawang

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2006 at 11:23 PM »
pwedeng pwede sm appliance center sa southmall, pero display unit yung nakuha nya coz wala ng stock, 6800 ata

Offline du1mij

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2006 at 03:42 PM »
pwedeng pwede sm appliance center sa southmall, pero display unit yung nakuha nya coz wala ng stock, 6800 ata

Thanks very much.  Yes, most stores have run out of stock.  There's one store that still has it but they don't want to sell it at the price they were offering before (PhP6,450) simply because the demand is more than the supply daw.  Because of that, I decided to wait for the other stores to get their stocks (the shipment arrived this week and may be out by next week).

Enjoy!

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2006 at 12:10 PM »
On a 120" screen, yes I can see the difference between component 480p and dvi/hdmi 720p, but you would still have to look hard.

If watching on a small 40" LCD TV from 10ft away, my answer is --no--
I cannot tell the difference even when 1 meter away...you really have to look hard, pause the picture.

I cannot see the difference of 480p (Component) and 720p/1080i (HDMI) from the viewing distance.
However, I see a BIG difference between 480i and 480p/720p/1080i.

My HT room:  http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=55046.0

If your only reason to upgrade is better picture quality from 480p to 720p, then you will get disappointed.
Go to a shop and ask them to connect via component and hdmi on a 32" or 40" TV... see for yourself.

mga sirs newb po, just want to ask kung worth it yung extra gastos to buy a new dvd player(upscaler)?
right now i have a progressive dvd player na philips na 480p ang output, and im using a 32" na lcd, baka kasi di ko rin mapapansin ang difference ng 720p sa 480p.

one more, pioneer 696 vs 490? di ko kailangan yung 5.1 output ng 696 and the avi ultra
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2006 at 12:11 PM by ericag_ph »