Author Topic: Superman: The Ultimate Collection R3  (Read 70584 times)

Offline hubes

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Superman: The Ultimate Collection R3 (13 Disc Set)
« Reply #120 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 02:49 PM »
mine is same as firewired. I think mas correct yun comic book mo mr. hankey bec. its the same picture as the one in the cardboard slipcase.

firewired, is that the comic book that came with your Ultimate Edition? It's different from mine. Yours matches comic book in the images of the R4 posted at ezydvd.com.au, while mine matches the one in the R1 picture at Amazon.

Up close:

Since ours are different - the included comics throughout the region don't match?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #121 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 02:59 PM »
Thanks for the replies on the comic book, people. So far, it looks like I'm the only one to get this one:

Everyone else who addressed the issue (firewired, Mo®pHeOu$, techdude and hubes) got this one:

Getting the disc to dislodge is really a problem.  I had to press hard on the disc and literally pry it to get it loose.

I actually thought one of my discs was going to break in half when I was pulling on one edge. I had to stop and rethink my game plan when it comes to removing the discs from the hubs for viewing.  ;D

Also... did you guys compare the disc order in the case with the way the set is numbered in the newspaper-type booklet? Mine was not in the correct order - there were four discs in the wrong slots.

I know, not a "problem"... I just noticed it, since it forced me to pry four more discs from their hubs immediately.  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2006 at 03:02 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #122 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 03:15 PM »
Haven't noticed but I'll check tonight.

As per Warner, could be a batch thing so part of the .biz allocation are all variant comics. Does yours have the cover gallery section?
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline boybi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #123 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 04:40 PM »
received my copy this afternoon. no scratches on the tin box. same comic book as what firewired posted.

now, i'm having a problem on removing the discs. the discs are bending already at around 20degrees but i still can't remove it from the tray  >:(

Offline RadicalDude

• DVD Guru
  • Bluer than Blu-Ray!
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 04:57 PM »
...difficulty removing the discs, hoping it won't be the same when R1 comes.
The sun itself sees not 'til heaven clears.

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 06:16 PM »
kailangan angatin yung particular DVD holder and then press the center.  dun medyo mas madaling tanggalin yung DVD.  pero mahirap pa rin tanggalin yung sa likod na DVDs. 

Watched Superman IV and didn't remember much of the scenes.  Nakakatawa lang yung scene ni Nuclear man and Mariel Hemingway sa space, hindi pumutok si Mariel while in space. hehehe.  Di ba naisip ng director yun na imposible yun?

No wonder there are members who doesn't like the third and fourth installments...

Enjoy!  ;)

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 06:22 PM »
Got mine from Astro Galleria with free poster, raffle ticket for more superman items & a discount coupon for Ant Bully. No dents & scratches on the tin box. But when I opened it at home, the insert booklet has a small tear on the lower left corner of the first page...called astro at once to exchange it with another stock... they said they have to consult Warner kung may extra booklet and they can't give me another stock kasi exact lang daw sa mga nag pre-book yung allocated sa Astro Galleria branch and that according to Warner limited lang daw itong ultimate collection...is this true sir firewired?

Anyway i got the same comic book as Mr. Hankey...and i too am having difficulty in removing the discs...
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2006 at 06:25 PM by aeris30 »

Offline aszamora

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Guru
  • En Taro Adun
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 06:40 PM »
Got mine today at Astro Glorietta and it was all worth it! Thanks to the early postings, I was careful in removing the discs. Inangat ko nga rin iyong holder and pressed the center ring without holding the disc. delikado nga lang mascratch iyong discs pag biglang mahulog. This is probably the best looking box set I got. Mas maganda pa siya sa LOTR Extended set although mas gusto ko pa rin siyempre iyong LOTR movies themselves. I also bought the Superman Returns 2-disc and I also like the comic book that goes with it. Magkaiba pala iyong discs ng Supe Returns 2-disc compared sa doon sa UC. Mas maganda iyong sa UC.

Offline vp_ortiz

• DVD Addict
  • Superhero
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 07:07 PM »
Saw the UE set at SM Clark. The packaging looks nice. Though di ko muna bibilin... sa christmas na lang... kung meorn pa. Hehe ;D

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 07:26 PM »
they said they have to consult Warner kung may extra booklet and they can't give me another stock kasi exact lang daw sa mga nag pre-book yung allocated sa Astro Galleria branch and that according to Warner limited lang daw itong ultimate collection...is this true sir firewired?

Yes the allocations are limited but I talked to Warner and they should be able to replace the damaged booklet -- but you may have to go direct. I'll find out tomorrow and send you a PM.

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 08:30 PM »
Yes the allocations are limited but I talked to Warner and they should be able to replace the damaged booklet -- but you may have to go direct. I'll find out tomorrow and send you a PM.

Thanks a lot :)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 08:31 PM »
As per Warner, could be a batch thing so part of the .biz allocation are all variant comics. Does yours have the cover gallery section?

Yeah, the last few pages of the comic book are cover gallery artworks, BUT what's glaring is that the DVDs they're advertising on the inner/outer back cover are actually JUNE 2006 releases, making me think this comic book was designed as a tie-in for the theatrical release of Superman Returns and NOT the DVD release.

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 09:32 PM »
IMHO, The Book that comes with Superman Returns is way better than the comics/comic book artwork of the Ultimate Edition.  The one with Superman Returns is not really a comics but a mini-encyclopedia of Superman trivia condensed from the DK line( ie How Things work, etc) of books. At the back, it is printed $7.99 But not for individual resale (huh?).  I really wished this was the book that was included with the Ultimate Collector's since it would be more appropriate.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2006 at 11:35 PM by techdude »
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline Koolkat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Kawaiii!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #133 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 10:59 PM »
Are there any differences between the Superman Returns included in the UE and the 2 disc special edition in terms of DVD content or pareho lang sila? Mas maganda pala yung free comic book nung special ed. But I guess it's ok since I got a big ass Supeman poster from astro glorietta. Magandang itabi dun sa Spider man 2 poster ko w/c I got from the Spider man 2 deluxe edition. Remember that promo 2 years ago? :)
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

Offline kertner

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 11:36 PM »
Guys question, if the R3 Superman: The Ultimate Collection is a 13 Disc Set and the R1 version is a 14 Disc set, then what part of the R1 disc are we missing?
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2006 at 12:20 AM by kertner »

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 11:38 PM »
It was noted earlier in this thread:

The missing disc is the Video Diary of Brian Singer

Offline Koolkat

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Kawaiii!
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 02:52 AM »
It was noted earlier in this thread:

The missing disc is the Video Diary of Brian Singer

Yes, I know that. But I was talking about Superman Returns.  Is the 2 disc special edition the same as the one included in the UC?
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

Offline duncanfranchise

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • Collector
  • Don't think you are; know you are.
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 02:55 AM »
I'll be getting the R1 version, too.  I hope the DVD holders aren't as.....uhm.....challenging as the R3 release.  Overall, excellent release.   ;D

By the way, does anybody here know if the R1 version also has the innner lenticular slipcase?   :)

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 03:28 AM »
koolkat, I was referring to kertner's question.

The DVD are not as challenging to pry loose as first thought.  I had my forefinger on the 10' O clock slot, and thumb on the center, press the center hard, lift the forefinger a little and  the disc comes loose.  Still not as easy as most cases.

As to R1, the artwork posted on sites like DVDactive doesn't look lenticular to me.  But since the final product is still to be released, and no review of said collection has shown up yet, guess we'll have to wait a little while to find out...

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 09:15 AM »
Yes, I know that. But I was talking about Superman Returns.  Is the 2 disc special edition the same as the one included in the UC?

Considering even the Easter Egg posted by Ashburndaride on the Superman Returns R3 thread is also in the version in the boxed set, I believe so. The listed features of the stand-alone Superman Returns based on online sources are all present on my discs in the boxed set.

The disc art might be different, though. The disc art of the boxed set is a uniform design. I can personally confirm that the disc art for Look Up in the Sky! in the boxed set is different from that of this title's stand alone version.

Offline jonster

• Collector
  • Bring me to life.
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 09:30 AM »
Bought the 2-Disc at Astro MOA yesterday evening.  They have the opened UE and the lady at the counter let me see it.  All i can say is, its d**n good, best R3 packaging i ever saw!  I was tempted to buy it but im on a tight budget. :'(

I asked the lady why its opened (coz i thought maybe that copy has defect or something and someone returned it), they said they let customer see whats inside the package, eh talaga naman mapapabili ka pag nakita mo. ;D  They also said that 8 customers already bought UE on that same day. :o

Watched it last night and  I noticed that the picture quality is grainy. :(
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2006 at 09:32 AM by jonster »
I'm my own worst enemy

Offline silhouette

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Bon Jour!
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 10:59 AM »
wow! I just got my copy from PDVDBIZ.  It took the entire process, from order to delivery, LESS than 24 hours...beat that!
Geez!  That was fast.  Good work guys.

Anyway, I'm still in the process of checking the CDs coz it's really hard to remove.  I might break either the cd or the case...damn.
The entire package is worth the price.   Though the tin case that I got has a dent on the lower left corner, which I'll try to fix when I get home (PDR hehe).

I see that I have the same copy of comic book as Mr Hankey...hmm. 

Offline Pasoot

• Collector
  • d dif'rnce bet. success and failure is 1 more try
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 11:04 AM »
if you're really a die-hard fan ni supe's i think you can download bryan singer's video diary if this was the one they were trying to play sa IMAX theater(sa lobby) i mean. i had subscribed before sa itunes and it was free then when i was transferring it to my ipod.
  ;D
For me, I'm dying to pick this up from Astro tomorrow, but I'm still wrestling with the idea of the missing 14th disc.

Do I really need Bryan Singer's Video Diary? I mean, I bought Peter Jackson's King Kong Production Diaries, watched half of one disc, got bored, then fast forwarded through the rest of it. I never even played the Post-Production Diaries in the 2-Disc Set of King Kong.

But I've been a Superman fanatic since I was a kid, so everytime I look at that tin box set on my shelf, it'll be taunting me:

"Kulang ako! Kulang ako! Bili ka ng R1! Bili ka ng R1!"

Man, DVD addiction is a bad thing.

;D

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
« Reply #143 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 11:05 AM »
i ordered mine via pinoydvd.biz, and was sent a confirmation email nov 13 in the morning with my air21 tracking number.
upon reading my email, i quickly rushed and tracked my order via air21 website (there's something about tracking which i really enjoy).  Much to my surprise, Air21's website posted an erroneous message....something about not in the database or something.  I quickly sent a email to pinoydvd.biz support and reported it.  pinoydvd.biz was quick to inform me re the status (my heartfelt appreciation), and assured me that the item will be long delivered to me even before air21 would be able to place the tracking number in their records. ???

support for pinoydvd.biz is superb.  I wouldnt hesitate to get specials on them again.  I highly recommend the site.   If pinoydvd would get all the exclusives plus more bonuses that retail shops, consider all my dvd purchases to pinoydvd.  Totally Great!

And true enough, I got the Superman UE yesterday Nov14.  Its totally awesome!! Very much my hard earned money's worth.  And the discount was well worth it.  the quality is one of the highest ever.  I even liked this more than my other R1 boxset releases.  5/5 stars!

Last night I watched the Donner Cut, and I was impressed. I totally loved this version.  It creates much more continuity towards Superman Returns.  Its not perfect, but much definitely better than the theatrical release of S2.  I dont want to post my opinion on certain scenes because it might spoil the movie.  but overall, i rate it 4/5.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 11:18 AM »
Btw, due to shipping concerns, Randy said that since yesterday morning, they've tripled the bubble wrap protection layer to avoid damage to the tin case.

Offline aszamora

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Guru
  • En Taro Adun
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 12:05 PM »
It helps when removing those hard to remove discs to remove first the disc at the back of the holder. In my case, the discs at the backs of each holder are easier to pry just by pressing the center ring. Once those are removed, mas madali na ring matanggal iyong nasa unahan by also pressing the center ring. At least, that's in my case so hopefully, it's the same with the others. :) The more I looked at my UC, the more I like it. Mas maganda nga compared sa ibang R1 box sets.

Offline wrAth

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Simple lang, pero rock.
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 02:01 PM »
i'd also like to bring up another concern regarding the Superman UCE set which i had returned to pinoydvd.biz.

apart from the dents on the casing and the tear on the insert, upon opening the item, i noticed that there were several fingerprints INSIDE the tin case, on the plastic slipcase, despite its being shrinkwrapped.

something the Biz might want to look into.
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2006 at 02:03 PM by wrAth »
Quo vadis?

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 04:39 PM »
wrAth

fortunately walang traces of fingerprints on my copy. 

I hope you get a good copy next time!

MOre power!

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2404
« Reply #148 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 11:28 PM »
It helps when removing those hard to remove discs to remove first the disc at the back of the holder. In my case, the discs at the backs of each holder are easier to pry just by pressing the center ring. Once those are removed, mas madali na ring matanggal iyong nasa unahan by also pressing the center ring. At least, that's in my case so hopefully, it's the same with the others. :) The more I looked at my UC, the more I like it. Mas maganda nga compared sa ibang R1 box sets.
ya thats what I also notice and did, everything is perfect except "removing the disc", I cant believe its this hard, I was already bending the disc at first till I did the same thing, using the rear

Offline Koolkat

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Kawaiii!
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 11:36 PM »
Had no trouble with removing the discs. I just press on the center ring and presto! But since it's new and medyo masikip pa yung inner ring portion nung disc, can't help but worry that the glass will be chipped whenever I remove the disc
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!