Author Topic: Recommend a Speaker  (Read 368316 times)

Offline mannix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Recommend a Speaker
« Reply #780 on: Feb 04, 2008 at 10:31 AM »
anything except mission speakers, wlang after sales support yung dating local distributor dito >:( na si melvin.......maiinis ka lang, ??? and ang daming problema pa yung speakers nila! just a friendly reminder.
Better yung hindi china made din, cguro yung european made or america or canada lahat should be ok.

chief,
Sa DCM audio ba to? You mean they dont have after sales support? Meron din kaya silang sub-distributor, if ever, wala rin after sales service. Would you share your experience?
salamat po

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #781 on: Feb 04, 2008 at 11:56 AM »
Better yung hindi china made din, cguro yung european made or america or canada lahat should be ok.

Pardon me, but I dont think this "discrimination" is applicable to quality controlled, non-168 mall products, specially HiFi. It is normal to have an impression like this after experiencing 168 mall products, but not all china products are like that. China can give you a Krell imitation as long as you give them the budget. Skimp on the budget (like 168 mall products) and they will make a way, results may suffer though.  You need to come up with a concrete example or experience with China made branded speakers to declare such statements. W/ all due respect sir.  :)

Perhaps B&W are enjoying higher mark up with its speaker line made in China and no price changes for the consumers.

Maybe they are either maintining their status ...or charging the consumers the cost of their multi million dollar ,newly built factory in China.  :(
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2008 at 12:18 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #782 on: Feb 04, 2008 at 12:10 PM »
mukhang malaki sama ng loob sa mga intsik ah.

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #783 on: Feb 04, 2008 at 02:10 PM »
mukhang malaki sama ng loob sa mga intsik ah.

Not at all.  Sorry OT, I'm not Fil-Chinese but I admire Fil-Chinese very much because they are very hard working and business driven people.  When the Europeans were still living in caves, the Chinese already had houses.  85% of millionaires/billionaires in the Philippines are either Chinese or of Chinese descent.  The bad quality products you hear about from China are produced by bad businessmen. Kahit saan lugar may masamang tao.

MatZer is a good businessman because he sells good quality products from China. :) 

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #784 on: Feb 04, 2008 at 02:23 PM »
what is it with DCM? care to share your experience matt matt?

be careful what you wish, if the republicans win the next US elections, the fair tax system will be resurrected... this means that they will focus on the end goal of making Made in the U.S.A mean something again. so goods might cost more. I doubt it'll be 100% effective because the US has too much investment on China already. But it could mean that the higher end models might all come from the US and Asia gets stuck with entry level models being made here.

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
« Reply #785 on: Feb 04, 2008 at 10:34 PM »
Not at all.  Sorry OT, I'm not Fil-Chinese but I admire Fil-Chinese very much because they are very hard working and business driven people.  When the Europeans were still living in caves, the Chinese already had houses.  85% of millionaires/billionaires in the Philippines are either Chinese or of Chinese descent.  The bad quality products you hear about from China are produced by bad businessmen. Kahit saan lugar may masamang tao.

MatZer is a good businessman because he sells good quality products from China. :) 

nice to hear that Lance, I was actually reffering to matt matt. due to his double tirades in diff threads.

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #786 on: Feb 04, 2008 at 11:41 PM »
nice to hear that Lance, I was actually reffering to matt matt. due to his double tirades in diff threads.

I dont know the history of this thread.  Its an opinion that came out from nowhere.  Happy listening you all.

Offline wellsaudio

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #787 on: Feb 05, 2008 at 01:46 AM »
Hi Guys, I am newbie in speakers, Can you recommend me what brand of speakers that will fit on my budget. My budget range is 20-25k. Im looking at Listening room in glorietta and they recommended me the whafedale speakers both 9.5 & 9.6 series. Guys, please advice and critic the two series what is good and bad, I need also know what speakers will be in good in DVD movies and music, mp3 etc... before i buy it. Thanks. 

Offline mattmatt

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #788 on: Feb 05, 2008 at 09:02 AM »
chief,
Sa DCM audio ba to? You mean they dont have after sales support? Meron din kaya silang sub-distributor, if ever, wala rin after sales service. Would you share your experience?
salamat po

yes, dcm ni melvin dyan sa cubao, pag lampas ka sa warranty, even if factory defect admitted by mission of UK sori ka na lang....tapos ang mahal pa ng singil niya, kasi papagawa niya sa iba....so double whammy ??? ::) in short walang paki and bahala ka sa buhay MO!! so avoid mission!.....ang daming pagpipilian diyan.... >:(

Offline Geren

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #789 on: Feb 06, 2008 at 11:39 PM »
Mga sirs,

Need some advice

Somebody is selling me a pair of Canton Fonum 501 floorspeakers (80-120 watts, 4 ohms, 30 - 20,000 khz freq. resp.) 2nd hand in good condition. Price is Php 8,000.
Be using it for music/hometheater. Mahal ba?
What center speaker should i match it with?
Ok bang bilin ang Denon 1907 for these speakers?
What sub to buy in the future?
Not in a hurry to buy all the above at the same time. Medyo hirap pa sa budget.

Already owned equipment.
pana pv70
bose rear speakers (old)

Thanks in advance
You are infected by SARS!
Denial is a symptom of addiction.
Resistance is futile!!!

Offline wellsaudio

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #790 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 01:23 AM »
are you looking for just one pair for pure audio use or a set for home theater?  if for HT is your avr 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1?  what is your avr/wattage?  if for audio what kind of amp do you have?

Here's my plan to buy and set up my HT:

front - Whardale Diamond 9.6
rear - Diamond 9.dfs
centre - Diamond 9.cs
AMP - Yahama RX-V661
Sub - Velodyne

Please comment to my set up, can this be blend for DVD movies & Audio Clarity? I checked to Listening room in glorietta they give me small discount, Any store recommended for lowest price in Makati area. Thanks

Offline wellsaudio

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #791 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 01:40 AM »
are you looking for just one pair for pure audio use or a set for home theater?  if for HT is your avr 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1?  what is your avr/wattage?  if for audio what kind of amp do you have?

Offline bigshot_inter

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #792 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 02:34 AM »
Diamonds are a good speakers for entry level HT setup. Also the overall quality of your setup will also depend on your amp/av receiver , source and interconnects. Your room also plays an important part in the overall acoustical quality. The 9.6 may be too much for a small room and you can save more money by getting a 9.5 or 9.2 fronts (if you have a small room).

For pure audio i personally find that the diamonds lack detail and resolution...

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #793 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 08:37 AM »

Here's my plan to buy and set up my HT:

front - Whardale Diamond 9.6
rear - Diamond 9.dfs
centre - Diamond 9.cs
AMP - Yahama RX-V661
Sub - Velodyne

Please comment to my set up, can this be blend for DVD movies & Audio Clarity? I checked to Listening room in glorietta they give me small discount, Any store recommended for lowest price in Makati area. Thanks

Like anyone would recommend, look through the threads for the number and address of The Home Theater in Makati.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #794 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 12:30 PM »
I believe that partnering equipment is crucial to achieve the full potential of a speaker.

Those 5 star ratings of speakers.. See their review & their partnering equipment:

the reality is they didnt get those 5 stars using $300 receivers during the review!

they used high model receivers or power amps!

« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2008 at 12:39 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline mjct6210

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #795 on: Feb 10, 2008 at 10:55 PM »
Diamonds are a good speakers for entry level HT setup. Also the overall quality of your setup will also depend on your amp/av receiver , source and interconnects. Your room also plays an important part in the overall acoustical quality. The 9.6 may be too much for a small room and you can save more money by getting a 9.5 or 9.2 fronts (if you have a small room).

For pure audio i personally find that the diamonds lack detail and resolution...

newbie here,

if wharfs are good for entry level HT setups what would be a good speaker system for mid-range HT setups? i'm saving for an mid-range receiver kasi like denon 2308 or onkyo 605/705? not sure kasi if i will consider HK 337 wala pa daw dito sa pinas and sobra mahal mid range yamaha ung 1800 ata pinaka lowest model na may pre-outs.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #796 on: Feb 11, 2008 at 12:13 PM »
if wharfs are good for entry level HT setups what would be a good speaker system for mid-range HT setups?

Mid range speakers! Look for the series after their entry levels. They are much more refined than their entry level counterparts but need matching mid range receivers or power amps to sound their best.

i'm saving for an mid-range receiver kasi like denon 2308 or onkyo 605/705? not sure kasi if i will consider HK 337 wala pa daw dito sa pinas and sobra mahal mid range yamaha ung 1800 ata pinaka lowest model na may pre-outs.

Mid range of Denon starts at 2808, Onkyo @ 705 (w/ pre outs), they have upgraded decoder chips starting at these models. HDMI has caused these mid receivers to skyrocket  :-\.

Offline mjct6210

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #797 on: Feb 11, 2008 at 02:51 PM »
additional question lang po. kung sakali po ba makaipon ako to afford a brand new mid-level receiver ma achieve ko pa din ang surround sound kahit na install ko siya sa maliit na room. presently kasi maliit lang room ko 2.5x2.5 meters but i'll be moving to a bigger room soon.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #798 on: Feb 11, 2008 at 02:56 PM »
additional question lang po. kung sakali po ba makaipon ako to afford a brand new mid-level receiver ma achieve ko pa din ang surround sound kahit na install ko siya sa maliit na room. presently kasi maliit lang room ko 2.5x2.5 meters but i'll be moving to a bigger room soon.

Yes, of course. But 5.1 is enough for that room size. You can even start with 2.0 or 2.1 ( the .1 is the sub) for the meantime since the room is small. Mid level receivers have "phantom" surround modes that can be achieved using 2 speakers. This would be quite enough for your room size. And NO, dont go for floorstanders for that room.   :D

How big is your other room?

Offline mjct6210

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #799 on: Feb 11, 2008 at 03:04 PM »
i'll be moving to a new place soon. it's roughly about 36 sq meters studio type po soon. kaya din po ako mejo undecided as to what speaker to buy baka kasi when i move to the new place soon e masayang ung bibilin ko ng speakers ngayon.

Offline threadlock

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #800 on: Feb 11, 2008 at 03:19 PM »

I see no problem using mid-level receiver in small rooms. You can just play in low volume levels if it gets too loud. As suggested by sir Matz, you can first get pair of front speakers now while you're in small room as some receivers has DSPs for surround sound then add surround, center and subs later when you move to large room. I do not suggest to get a sub now as small rooms has lots of modal ringing. Modal ringing = maugong; masakit sa tenga na bass.
With too many options you could end up not choosing one

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #801 on: Feb 11, 2008 at 04:10 PM »
i'll be moving to a new place soon. it's roughly about 36 sq meters studio type po soon. kaya din po ako mejo undecided as to what speaker to buy baka kasi when i move to the new place soon e masayang ung bibilin ko ng speakers ngayon.

Wow, 36 sqm! you really need a mid level receiver for a room that big.

If you buy a mid receiver, you wont waste your speaker even if you buy a mid level bookshelf (for example). I have heard 5 surround size bookshelf speakers fill up a huge showroom with sound when used with a powerful mid receiver (HK630).

I see no problem using mid-level receiver in small rooms. You can just play in low volume levels if it gets too loud.

Agree! the small room borders can even help reinforce the sound. Even if you crank it up, its the room acoustics & reflectivity of the room that will give your ears more trouble than any distortion coming from the gears (since its better powered).

Offline mjct6210

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #802 on: Feb 11, 2008 at 04:25 PM »
thanks a lot for your inputs! great help for me.

Offline @nk71

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Collector
  • :o)
  • Liked:
Recommend a low-Mid end speakers with optical input for PS3
« Reply #803 on: Feb 12, 2008 at 01:14 PM »
Hi pa recommend naman ng multimedia speakers na may Optical input na...I'll be using it for PS3

or a cheapest receiver around that has optical input ...coz may mga speakers rin naman na ako...

thanx
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2008 at 01:49 PM by @nk71 »

Offline ProtegeManiac

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Recommend a low-Mid end speakers with optical input for PS3
« Reply #804 on: Feb 12, 2008 at 03:59 PM »
i saw a yamaha multimedia speaker set before that came with its own receiver module, including digital inputs. I think it retailed for 11k. saw this in gateway mid-last year but its no longer on display there. you might want to contact yupangco they could have pulled out the stocks because of low sales volume.

if its not available try to wait for hte buy and sell section and try to score a yamaha RX-V357; just confirm first though whether the PS3 games' sound format can be decoded by either of these.

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Recommend Surround Speakers
« Reply #805 on: Feb 12, 2008 at 04:32 PM »
I need recommendations on the brand and model surround speakers I can pair with my Monitor Audio Bronze fronts.  This is only for a 5.1 system and speaker placement for the rears will be on the rear wall.  Headboard wall.

All MA's like BR1 and BRFX are out of stock!  I am open to purchase B&W's or any speakers 10K up.

Please advise.  Thanks.

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Recommend Surround Speakers
« Reply #806 on: Feb 12, 2008 at 05:21 PM »
Ang alam ko di naman critical masyado ang surround speakers. When I asked that specific question before sa mg A/V shops, sabi nila halos any will do 'coz konti lang naman daw ang pumupunta sa surround.

Kung gusto mo talaga match with same brand na 10k up - get MA BR2 at may available pa ata sa SGT ;)

Offline AICRAG

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Do unto others before they do unto you
  • Liked:
« Reply #807 on: Feb 12, 2008 at 05:35 PM »
bro try mo Dali Concept 1 for surrounds.  mura lang yan alam ko less than 10K a pair.  kahit gamitin mo for music decent na.  Architectural Audio ang distributor/seller sa Phil.
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2008 at 11:53 AM by AICRAG »
Toshiba 55XL700,Dali Ikon 6,Vokal2 MKII,Cayin CD-50T,Ecosse 2.3,IXOS Coax, HK AVR340, NAD 320BEE

Offline @nk71

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Collector
  • :o)
  • Liked:
Re: Recommend a low-Mid end speakers with optical input for PS3
« Reply #808 on: Feb 13, 2008 at 12:22 AM »
i saw a yamaha multimedia speaker set before that came with its own receiver module, including digital inputs. I think it retailed for 11k. saw this in gateway mid-last year but its no longer on display there. you might want to contact yupangco they could have pulled out the stocks because of low sales volume.

if its not available try to wait for hte buy and sell section and try to score a yamaha RX-V357; just confirm first though whether the PS3 games' sound format can be decoded by either of these.

thanks sa info ha....Actually nasa gateway ako kanina at wala akong makitang optical input maliban sa mga Pioneer na recievers at Yamaha tsk tsk mukhang nahuhuli pa ang technology ng mga Mini Components d man lang mag lagay ng Optical input, gawa sila ng gawa ng 5.1 eh wala naman support  :-\

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #809 on: Feb 13, 2008 at 08:12 AM »
Ang alam ko di naman critical masyado ang surround speakers. When I asked that specific question before sa mg A/V shops, sabi nila halos any will do 'coz konti lang naman daw ang pumupunta sa surround.

Kung gusto mo talaga match with same brand na 10k up - get MA BR2 at may available pa ata sa SGT ;)

I already have BR2 sa fronts.  Too big for me room. :)