Author Topic: mordaunt short speakers  (Read 188179 times)

Offline glacierfrost

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: mordaunt short speakers
« Reply #1320 on: May 05, 2007 at 11:55 PM »
Hi I'm planning to build my first home theater setup. I plan on using the avant series for my speakers (7.1). I'm going to use 906i for fronts then 905i for the center. I'm having a dilemma on what to get for the surrounds. Do i get 2 pairs bipoles (903i)? 1 pair bipoles and 1 pair 902i? or 2 pairs 902i? Do you guys think that the marantz SR4001 (80 Watts x 7 Channels) will be enough to power all these speakers? finally do you guys recommend getting the 309i subwoofer? I auditioned it in 5th ave. and I kinda find it lacking. although to be fair, I really didn't test it thoroughly.

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #1321 on: May 21, 2007 at 06:49 PM »
choice of gears really depends on your budget and of course....the room size where youll be listening to them. the 80w would satisfy small rooms but for areas larger than 15sqm, you might wan to consider a larger power. for the speakers, te power handling would of course go along with the power output of your receiver. i hope this helps. i started ht with MS as well and marantz SR4500. i never regreted having it. it sounds good even for audio.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline gearhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1322 on: Jun 02, 2007 at 06:28 PM »
i started ht with MS as well and marantz SR4500. i never regreted having it. it sounds good even for audio.

i also used to have the sr4500 with a gale speaker setup, but have since "upgraded" to a more powerful sytem featuring the HK AVR5550 paired with wharf d9.5's, 9cs and 9dfs. still, sometimes i miss my old setup for its more "cinematic" sound and at the same time a capable musical system as well.

for those on a limited budget, with a small to medium sized room... you can't go wrong with an entry level marantz or hk paired with the mordaunt short carnivals (carnival 2/3/6. basically, it's the Gale in MS clothing). if you want it a little brighter, you can pair these carnivals with an entry level yamaha. there are quite a few upgraders in the b/s section selling 350's/450's. carnivals are sensitive easy to drive speakers.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2007 at 03:00 AM by gearhead »
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline bassman

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #1323 on: Jun 06, 2007 at 09:36 PM »
I also used my old MS Speakers, MS908 to be specific paired with my HK AVR5500. Ok sya sa music and movie, kahit marami na new models out there still I enjoy listening with my setup and no plans to upgrade.

Rotel RCD1072 RC1070, RB1070 Sonus Faber Concerto, Velodyne DD12

Offline e.r.b

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1324 on: Jun 06, 2007 at 09:50 PM »
magandang gabi mga sir.

ok ang mordaunt basta mag bi wire ka at maganda ng amp or receiver mo.
nagamit ko na ms 908  floor standing  sa rotel ra971 mk2. and sa  onkyo txds 939. solid!
ngayon nag upgrade ako ng mordaunt 500 thx series. may built in sub na. mas maganda ang sound staging and imaging. partner ko sa kanya harman kardon 230. super solid! pwede nyo ko pasyalan dito sa pasig para ma audition nyo. weekends lang ha. dala kayo dvd or cd na familiar kayo. salamat

Offline bassman

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1325 on: Jun 07, 2007 at 09:37 AM »
Sir sama ako dyan matagal ko na gusto maaudition MS500thx, before gusto ko sana upgrade same model kaya lang sobra mahal ng MS500thx.

Naka bi-amp yung MS908 ko, I put dedicated amp for the woofer on the side of my fronts for music, setting ng x-over is 60hz for music CD/HDCD materials and 40Hz for DVDs.
Rotel RCD1072 RC1070, RB1070 Sonus Faber Concerto, Velodyne DD12

Offline jimmy05

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
MS Carnival 9 - Needs feeback?
« Reply #1326 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 08:47 AM »
Any Carnival 9 users out there?  I was trying to look for reviews about it but nothing seems to show up in google.   I'm actually interested to know how accurate and loud can it go since it's a 10 incher sub.  The specs on the MS site doesn't give much detail so I'm totally unfamiliar with it.  ???

Offline danrd

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Do it now while you still can!
  • Liked:
Re: MS Carnival 9 - Needs feeback?
« Reply #1327 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 10:22 AM »
Any Carnival 9 users out there?  I was trying to look for reviews about it but nothing seems to show up in google.   I'm actually interested to know how accurate and loud can it go since it's a 10 incher sub.  The specs on the MS site doesn't give much detail so I'm totally unfamiliar with it.  ???

Got the chance to audition this sub 2 years ago at abenson. Great sub! All I can say is - it's accurate enough than a Dai-ichi sub.  ;)

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: MS Carnival 9 - Needs feeback?
« Reply #1328 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 01:54 PM »
for its price, its way better than getting a dai-ichi or a wharfdale sw150. this sub has a little bit more finesse and low frequency response.

but there is a limit though, dont expect it to do wonders like a 20k+/30k+ priced subwoofer. I tried one with my missions before and the sub bottomed out sa explosion scene ng swordfish while the missions were barely getting a workout. (in short, bitin.)

Offline Brian_mico

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Addict
  • Dakilang mangbabakal at magbobote
  • Liked:
MS carnival 6 - Need feedback
« Reply #1329 on: Apr 15, 2008 at 11:09 AM »

Don't know if it's already posted...

is there anyone here  tried this speakers... any feedback ?  is it good for audio?

thanks

« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2008 at 11:09 AM by Brian_mico »

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
Re: MS carnival 6 - Need feedback
« Reply #1330 on: Apr 15, 2008 at 02:41 PM »
The Carnival 6 are the floorstanders right?

I've auditioned MS Carnival speakers already and they sound really good to my ear.
I also read that it is sonically accurate. Great for music, good for movies.  ;)

Offline aepaguinaldo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1331 on: May 02, 2008 at 06:13 PM »
Hello. Just wanted to check if anyone had experiences pairing mordaunt short 902i's with a denon receiver. I'm actually choosing between this and a monitor audio br2 and having trouble making a definitive choice. Would appreciate your inputs

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1332 on: May 02, 2008 at 06:25 PM »
value for money, the 902i is a better choice than the monitor br2. but I must say that the monitor wins in aesthetics... if thats an issue to you. both are good speakers... matching and budget nalang ang determining factor in your purchase.

glacierfrost, i suggest you buy the 903i and the 902i, no sense having 2 pairs of either model.

Offline aepaguinaldo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1333 on: May 04, 2008 at 05:03 PM »
CTLIM,

Thanks for the advice. I recently went to 5th avenue to audition the MS 902i, and though it really shined well for vocals and jazz, I found it lacking in rock music, particualrly on the bass side, and found the high end a bit too high for my taste. I went next door to spectra, and though it may not be a fair comparison (since different amps and that), I found that the wharfedale 9.1 was more to my liking, and more so the monitor audio br2....though budget wise, the wharfedale is more appealing, but the monitor audio was really nice...so I'm really thinking about it....

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1334 on: May 05, 2008 at 09:28 AM »
be careful, you probably heard the 902i on a cambridge integ amp and CDP.... medyo bright nga lalabas. it would also depend on the kind of equipment you will use.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008 at 11:18 AM by ctlim »

Offline james16

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • passion that touches the soul...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1335 on: May 05, 2008 at 10:47 AM »
my 2 friends also have ms902 (before the avant series) and they sounded good on any type of music - given the proper amp/rcvr and cd player.

proper matching, acoustics at preferences pa din ang mga factors (budget included)

Offline aepaguinaldo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1336 on: May 05, 2008 at 07:31 PM »
James16, CTLIM,

Yes. I heard both on a cambridge audio azur540A integrated amp and CD player. Though on vocal jazz, it sounded ok to me, in other types, it lacked bass and quite bright.....Though Ive read in other sites it was a good pairing, it did not quite fit my ears.

What amp would it be good to pair it with to tame the brightness? NAD? Rotel? In the interim, would it be ok to hook it up with a Denon receiver?

Thanks for your inputs...you guys are of real help

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
« Reply #1337 on: May 06, 2008 at 12:38 PM »
I have MS 912 paired with NAD C325BEE.

Body and Punch-wise, ok na ok. Kulang lang sa details.  I think yon ang weakness nf MS 912.
My player by the way is a Pioneer DV 655A SACD / DVD Audio Player.

Meron din ako MS 902 being used as surround. Di ko pa na-try na ikabit sya sa NAD though.
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline james16

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • passion that touches the soul...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1338 on: May 06, 2008 at 07:18 PM »
James16, CTLIM,

Yes. I heard both on a cambridge audio azur540A integrated amp and CD player. Though on vocal jazz, it sounded ok to me, in other types, it lacked bass and quite bright.....Though Ive read in other sites it was a good pairing, it did not quite fit my ears.

What amp would it be good to pair it with to tame the brightness? NAD? Rotel? In the interim, would it be ok to hook it up with a Denon receiver?

Thanks for your inputs...you guys are of real help

ive heard that speakers being played with a sansui alpha series amp, cayin tube amp, marantz and kenwood receiver, along with a pioneer dvd player, turn table and denon cd player (although i can't recall the models of those equipment) and they sounded very well.

ive heard the ms902 beeing used along with a rotel 1072 cdp and sansui amp also  ;D

that was about 3-4 yrs ago na ata - can't believe it it has been that long na...

Offline mercury724

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Collector
  • Ask 1 2 b 1
  • Liked:
Mordaunt-Short speakers ok ba?
« Reply #1339 on: Jun 09, 2008 at 02:16 PM »
mga sirs, any idea kung ok ba Mordaunt-Short speakers for home theater? saw this at a home appliance store. Mordaunt-Short Carnival series.
Me U Cnt P@ss

Offline defjam

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Mordaunt-Short speakers ok ba?
« Reply #1340 on: Jun 09, 2008 at 03:30 PM »
a few months back i also considered ung ms short na package sa mga appliance stores which amounted to 20k ata na 5.1 na. i decided to go the wharfe route kasi nga mas maganda specs and review nun. Di naman kasi malaki diff nila e. ;)

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #1341 on: Jun 09, 2008 at 06:15 PM »
for a no compromise HT front speaker, try the MS502 THX. mejo mahal pero u wont need a subwoofer for this one.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1342 on: Jun 09, 2008 at 06:37 PM »
id stay away from the entry level carnivals. go for the avant series.

Offline ivannn

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1343 on: Jul 11, 2008 at 11:32 AM »

how much is the carnival and avant series from local stores?

currently on the look for replacement speakers for my yamaha rxv450.

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1344 on: Jul 11, 2008 at 11:44 AM »
for front, center and surround avant series be prepared to spend around 30-35k

Offline ivannn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1345 on: Jul 11, 2008 at 11:52 AM »
okidoki. thanks for the update! para lang may idea ako when i go sa mga stores and ready ang sarili ko at wallet. :)

Offline jpeg

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • I don't care what you think...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1346 on: Jul 11, 2008 at 11:57 AM »
I agree. Go for the Avant series if MS. Wharfes are very good for the price. Just pair it with Yamaha. :)

Jason
Rega DAC, SVS MBS 01,  Bada DC-222, B&W 705/HTM7, Denon 3300

Offline ivannn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1347 on: Jul 11, 2008 at 12:30 PM »
thank you jpeg for the reply.

mga ilang weeks na rin ako making rounds sa mga stores checking out speakers. sigurista na buyer kasi ako kaya check ko muna stores tapos choose the ones that fits the budget na i know will be an upgrade to my present setup (which is an entry level 6.1 yammy set).

Offline Poloman888

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1348 on: Jul 12, 2008 at 09:56 AM »
I've heard the MS Avant 902i paired with a Marantz int. amp. Good-sounding speakers for that price range. If you're going to get these for HT, an added bonus would be that they sound great for audio as well. Some brands perform well for HT, but not necessarily for audio.

Watt Hi-Fi mag warns about pairing these babies with "brightish amplification." On what is warm/bright, I'd say that it's up to the listener. I auditioned a pair of Celestions (S5, if I recall) with a friend. He found them bright. I thought otherwise.

Cliche as it may sound, it's really up to you.

Good luck  :) 

Offline Papaber

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1349 on: Aug 09, 2008 at 11:15 AM »

What is wrong with the Carnival series. I listened to the a pair of Carnival 6 and it sounds great. I am planning to upgrade my fronts (currently using Definitive Pro Cinema 80) and considering this particular model. I would appreciate your inputs.