Author Topic: mordaunt short speakers  (Read 189010 times)

Offline airborne03

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Hug a dog, you'll feel better!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: mordaunt short speakers
« Reply #1440 on: Jan 06, 2012 at 02:38 AM »
@stagea

Hi Ivan! Sorry now lang I've checked this thread out, I've been missing out pala. How apropos your suggesting I get a quote for an entry level Yamaha avr. Luckily I now have the op to buy one on Amazon and balikbayan boxed home. That's why I went here to ask for avr suggestions for my Carnivals. My budget is only $300-350, so far the I've been eyeing the Yamaha RX-471 pasok sa budget and my needs at $329, there's an older model 667 at $320. Also considering the Denon 1612 which is cheaper at $299 but not Amazon Prime nga lang so baka shipping might take time from the seller. Considered the Onkyo's 509/609 but read so many bad reviews and considering the risk of no warranty once shipped and no way to send back, I wasn't considering them na. Sayang at going strong my old Onkyo, so wanted to stick with the brand.

So at this point these are my choices, I would so appreciate your input. Now may offer pa of a center speaker! How cool! What sub can I pair kaya that's not MS? No budget na for the Carnival 7 subs on Amazon. Can I pair it with a Yamaha sub?

Sige wait to hear from you nalang. Thanks again!

@paramount

I was looking at other center speakers na nga sa Amazon til I saw your post. PM'd you! :)

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 814
« Reply #1441 on: Jan 06, 2012 at 06:49 AM »
@stagea

Hi Ivan! Sorry now lang I've checked this thread out, I've been missing out pala. How apropos your suggesting I get a quote for an entry level Yamaha avr. Luckily I now have the op to buy one on Amazon and balikbayan boxed home. That's why I went here to ask for avr suggestions for my Carnivals. My budget is only $300-350, so far the I've been eyeing the Yamaha RX-471 pasok sa budget and my needs at $329, there's an older model 667 at $320. Also considering the Denon 1612 which is cheaper at $299 but not Amazon Prime nga lang so baka shipping might take time from the seller. Considered the Onkyo's 509/609 but read so many bad reviews and considering the risk of no warranty once shipped and no way to send back, I wasn't considering them na. Sayang at going strong my old Onkyo, so wanted to stick with the brand.

So at this point these are my choices, I would so appreciate your input. Now may offer pa of a center speaker! How cool! What sub can I pair kaya that's not MS? No budget na for the Carnival 7 subs on Amazon. Can I pair it with a Yamaha sub?

Sige wait to hear from you nalang. Thanks again!

@paramount

I was looking at other center speakers na nga sa Amazon til I saw your post. PM'd you! :)

I used to have a Denon 1611 and returned it because it was too weak.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 608
« Reply #1442 on: Jan 06, 2012 at 08:51 AM »
Choose the RX-V667 over the RX-V471. You'd likely be happier with that choice. :)

Offline airborne03

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1443 on: Jan 06, 2012 at 01:00 PM »
Choose the RX-V667 over the RX-V471. You'd likely be happier with that choice. :)

Great! Will do that. How about a sub? Can't afford the Carnival 7 for now. Looking at budget ones on Amazon, any suggestions? Doesn't have to be strong, my rooms not that big. Thanks again.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 608
« Reply #1444 on: Jan 07, 2012 at 09:27 AM »
Great! Will do that. How about a sub? Can't afford the Carnival 7 for now. Looking at budget ones on Amazon, any suggestions? Doesn't have to be strong, my rooms not that big. Thanks again.

There are very affordable options locally. Mahal ata pa-ship ng sub since malaki yung box.

Offline airborne03

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1445 on: Jan 07, 2012 at 12:58 PM »
There are very affordable options locally. Mahal ata pa-ship ng sub since malaki yung box.

Ok so any brand will do at this point? I'm looking at the Marketplace nga. Was thinking of taking it out of the box to ship. Sige will see nalang what comes up, thanks again.

Offline SinStealer

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1446 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 01:14 AM »
Hello everyone!

I'm new to this high-end / audiophile stuff so please bare with me. :)

I recently purchased a Carnival 6 because for my ears they just sound very good and the only floorstanding speakers available in Davao that has a non-mainstream brand in comparison to other mainstream speakers like Sony, Pioneer, etc. Anyway, I auditioned the Carnival 6 twice before I purchased them; once was driven by a Marantz and the second time was driven by a Yamaha receiver (I don't remember any of those models.)

Now I have an existing (surplus unit) Denon PMA-390 that is now driving the Carnival 6 but it kinda lacks bass and overall sound power unlike those amps/receivers I auditioned before with the Carnival 6. Is it because of the low RMS wpc of the PMA-390 that runs 50wpc (or was it 73wpc)? The salesman who was letting me audition the Carnival 6 told me that the Yamaha receiver being tested that time has 130wpc but then I forgot what model that was.

This also leaves me wondering: what amplifier would you recommend to fully maximize the potential of the Carnival 6? Should I get a 120wpc amp? Budget-wise I can only afford around 9k or less. Oh, and the amp should have a phono input as I plan to put on a turntable sooner or later.
They left because they were right...they were right about the left.

Offline airborne03

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1447 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 11:45 PM »
Nice to see a fellow Carnival 6 owner. :) My almost 20 year old Onkyo drives mine, has for the last 6 years. I'm no audiophile also, but for me the 6's really don't have that much oomph or bass in them, they really need a sub to make that happen. Since I watch mostly video I find it has nicely balanced sound for these, and never really looked for that deep end, tho now planning to add a sub later as I just ordered a Yamaha AVR sa States as a major upgrade to my system. Backread a bit and you'll read it's recommended over the Denon by Stagea.

Re the Phono Input, just do research and see what AVR has them pa, analog is slowly dying away sadly but check around and ask. I was only after digital inputs at this point so can't say what new AVR's have them.

Offline [dcw]aaron

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • rock on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1448 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 01:35 AM »
@sinstealer

where did you purchase your carnival and how much? i saw some in sm city..dun ka ba bumili? meron kasi dun set na binebenta 5.1 MS with yamaha avr..
Samsung PS51D491 51" Plasma 3D
Sony PS3 Slim 120GB
Samsung BD-D5100
Sony HTIB 5.1
Kaiboer H1055

Offline SinStealer

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1449 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM »
@airborne03

Thanks for the reply. Really, for me they're just right provided that the amp drives enough power to the Carnival 6. A Yamaha AVR would be nice but I'm planning to start a stereo setup slowly for now since investing for more speakers and a sub is not yet within my budget's reach. I guess I still have to look for more available amps around.

@[dcw]aaron

OO, binili ko sa SM city tag 10,800php. Meron nga silang set na binebenta dun pero di ko pa kaya ang budget pati ang Yamaha AVR at dahan-dahan lang muna ako mag upgrade.

Offline [joms]

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1450 on: Jan 14, 2012 at 11:56 AM »
mga masters, may grill ba yung mezzo2 tweeters? or pwedeng ma sundot ng daliri or ballpen yung tweeters nya?  :)
Great minds discuss ideas. Small minds discuss people.

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1451 on: Jan 14, 2012 at 12:41 PM »
mga masters, may grill ba yung mezzo2 tweeters? or pwedeng ma sundot ng daliri or ballpen yung tweeters nya?  :)

Here's a pic of my Mezzo's when I got them (without grill). The tweeters are protected by steel mesh.

Here's what they look like with grill:

Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline airborne03

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1452 on: Jan 18, 2012 at 01:37 AM »
@[dcw]aaron

OO, binili ko sa SM city tag 10,800php. Meron nga silang set na binebenta dun pero di ko pa kaya ang budget pati ang Yamaha AVR at dahan-dahan lang muna ako mag upgrade.

Whoa, they cost a bit more pa pala these days than what I paid for 6 years ago. I understand a slow upgrade, it's how I did mine years ago. So good luck with putting your system together.

Offline [dcw]aaron

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • rock on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1453 on: Jan 18, 2012 at 01:48 AM »
^ mas mahal talaga ang presyo ng mga speakers dito sa davao..
Samsung PS51D491 51" Plasma 3D
Sony PS3 Slim 120GB
Samsung BD-D5100
Sony HTIB 5.1
Kaiboer H1055

Offline Drax

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1454 on: Jan 20, 2012 at 05:53 PM »
Sirs, ok din ba ang mezza / mezza2 for audio? How much po current price nila?

Thanks in advance.
BW 602 S3, LCR60 & MK V3B
Totem DreamCatcher, Dared MP5 and Rotel RCD971
BoseCubes

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1455 on: Jan 20, 2012 at 07:13 PM »
Sirs, ok din ba ang mezza / mezza2 for audio? How much po current price nila?

Thanks in advance.

Mezzo 2 is a top notch performer for audio. SRP is around 24th.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline parker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1456 on: Jan 20, 2012 at 08:52 PM »
good day sin stealer

i paired the carnival 6's with an old marantz 74d...ganda...the marantz drove the carnivals easily.  the 74d has a (mm/mc) phono stage. had to let it(74d) go cause the rt channel of the amp got noisy.

so i got me a cambridge audio 550a/540p to drive the carnivals ...ganda rin pero  i had to push the 550a a bit to drive the carnivals well. or its just a cambridge gain/volume thing.

the bass of the 6,s..okay naman for music..for video, a sub is a must.  the 550a is not a bass beast though the bass is just there and right :)....so are the carnivals.

take out the round plastic cover behind the 6's and fill it with sand. be sure to return the cover. hahaha. bass improvement is noticable when sand filled....hmmm...a bit on the tighter side.

the 6's sound good with vinyl and cds.  the 6's sound perfect knowing that you didnt get duped with your 10k.

again good day

« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2012 at 08:57 PM by parker »
troll - naughty not evil.

Offline Drax

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1457 on: Jan 21, 2012 at 09:29 PM »
Mezzo 2 is a top notch performer for audio. SRP is around 24th.

Thank you for the response. I'll check these nice looking speakers.
BW 602 S3, LCR60 & MK V3B
Totem DreamCatcher, Dared MP5 and Rotel RCD971
BoseCubes

Offline SinStealer

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1458 on: Jan 21, 2012 at 10:28 PM »
good day sin stealer

i paired the carnival 6's with an old marantz 74d...ganda...the marantz drove the carnivals easily.  the 74d has a (mm/mc) phono stage. had to let it(74d) go cause the rt channel of the amp got noisy.

so i got me a cambridge audio 550a/540p to drive the carnivals ...ganda rin pero  i had to push the 550a a bit to drive the carnivals well. or its just a cambridge gain/volume thing.

the bass of the 6,s..okay naman for music..for video, a sub is a must.  the 550a is not a bass beast though the bass is just there and right :)....so are the carnivals.

take out the round plastic cover behind the 6's and fill it with sand. be sure to return the cover. hahaha. bass improvement is noticable when sand filled....hmmm...a bit on the tighter side.

the 6's sound good with vinyl and cds.  the 6's sound perfect knowing that you didnt get duped with your 10k.

again good day

Thanks for the tips parker. Hmmm, interesting suggestion. I'll put some very fine sand (from a beach) on the 6s later hehehe... is the Carnival 6 a good pair with any new NAD amps? I'm no audiophile or have golden ears and I like it when the bass is deep and thumping but not bloated.

Offline parker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1459 on: Jan 22, 2012 at 04:08 PM »
hello sinstealer,

carnival 6, adequate bass for music....again for video, sub is a must, somtimes a pair(subs ;D) maximum effects!!!

more wattage...... tighter bass, finer mids and highs......clean/quiet  amps,speaks,sources.

noisy amps/speaks/sources...more wattage, more noise.

not sure about the carnivals paired with the nad.....most likely okay din naman. nad is a good brand.

wattage to drive the 6s???..... more than the minimum required would be a better option.

listen,listen,listen.take your time and enjoy listening.

good day
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2012 at 07:33 PM by parker »

Offline parker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1460 on: Jan 22, 2012 at 04:12 PM »
I'll put some very fine sand (from a beach)

be sure very dry yung sand :)

ayos,

parker.

Offline fireice2

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1461 on: Jan 24, 2012 at 12:58 AM »
I've auditioned the MS Carnival 5.1 set yesterday. They certainly sound better compared to the 10k poineers on display. I have been considering the Wharfs Diamond 10's but after looking and weighing the MS, shipping costs will hurt if I go for the wharfs. :D

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #1462 on: Jan 24, 2012 at 09:58 PM »
Anybody here has any experience with the Mezzo 6 FS and how they compare with other brands in its price range?

Anybody knows how much this cost here?

Any alternative?

I'm looking for a good floorstander that doesnt need a Subn even on low level listening. Like for example at night when everybody is sleeping and you just wanted to relax listening to Jazz or instrumental and the speakers can still give you good bass on low level listening..

Problem with BS is pag low level listening wala nang bass eh.. Kelangan may sub pa rin.. Lalabas lang yung goood bass nya pag ginawa mong large tapos medyo mataas na yung volume..
Walang Setup

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1463 on: Jan 25, 2012 at 12:47 AM »
^cost around 40k sa cash if im not mistaken. the mezzo6 will suit you if you are looking for a clean detailed sound,  and works very well with classical, jazz or any other audiophile grade recording imo. however, i find it a bit bright for my taste when playing mainstream music (very noticeable kung panget ang recording). i'd rather go with mezzo 2 for that music category.
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2012 at 12:48 AM by pa3ck608 »
CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i

Offline fireice2

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1464 on: Jan 25, 2012 at 09:37 AM »
How about the Aviano 6? how much do they cost?

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1465 on: Jan 25, 2012 at 10:22 AM »
^cost around 40k sa cash if im not mistaken. the mezzo6 will suit you if you are looking for a clean detailed sound,  and works very well with classical, jazz or any other audiophile grade recording imo. however, i find it a bit bright for my taste when playing mainstream music (very noticeable kung panget ang recording). i'd rather go with mezzo 2 for that music category.

I second Patrick's recommendation on the Mezzo 6, really liked it when I auditioned it before.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1466 on: Jan 25, 2012 at 04:22 PM »

Thanks Bro.. May i know what shop carry this for possible audition?
Walang Setup

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1467 on: Jan 25, 2012 at 05:32 PM »
Thanks Bro.. May i know what shop carry this for possible audition?

5th Avenue Electronic City. http://www.5thavenue.com.ph/content.asp?cid=62
They also carry Yamaha receivers so you'll also get an idea on how it will sound with your current rig. goodluck on your hunt and give us your feedback. ;)
CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1468 on: Jan 25, 2012 at 06:46 PM »
5th Avenue Electronic City. http://www.5thavenue.com.ph/content.asp?cid=62
They also carry Yamaha receivers so you'll also get an idea on how it will sound with your current rig. goodluck on your hunt and give us your feedback. ;)

Thanks brader... will visit them pag may libre nang sched..
Walang Setup

Offline CocoBoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Be Happy..............
  • Liked:
« Reply #1469 on: Feb 14, 2012 at 08:38 PM »
I'm wondering what amp can bring life to my speakers (MS 3.5) http://www.nrpavs.co.nz/archive_2_10/Sold_2_10_htm/Mordaunt-Short3.50.htm

I have a pio 1020 but im using it for my HT.  looking sana for a dedicated reasonably price integrated amp for these babies.

Thanks
ALA EH!!