Author Topic: will this receiver satisfy my room  (Read 822 times)

Offline adpm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
will this receiver satisfy my room
« on: Jan 05, 2007 at 02:22 PM »
hmmm... im thinking of upgrading to a louder receiver, my current setup is a yamaha rx-v440, connected to a pioneer floorstander and component book shelf speaker as front, JPW Center speaker and 2 pioneer surrounds and a custom made subwoofer, a simple setup for a 20sq meter room. does a receiver upgrade have a dramatic difference? is my current setup satisfy a 20sq meter room?

also... my receiver is connected to 2 pairs of front speakers... Speaker A - the speakers came from a component 8 ohms and Speaker B - Pioneer floorstanders with 2 speakers and a tweeter, rated at 100w 6ohms... but they produce different volumes speaker A is louder than the floorstanders... how do i make their volumes equal?

Offline mike c

• Trade Count: (+154)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Re: will this receiver satisfy my room
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2007 at 04:09 PM »
when using both speaker A and speaker B at the same time, both speakers should at least be 8ohms.  you might be overtaxing your existing receiver. Using both speakers at the same time might be fun, but the sound quality isn't going to improve.

If I were you, instead of a new receiver, I would buy a pair of good front speakers to replace both those speakers

it's also not possible to balance your 2 pairs of speakers because the receiver sends the same signal to both speaker A and speaker B
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline adpm

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2007 at 04:23 PM »
thanks for the prompt reply... im thinking of only using one pair of front... so i could maximize the speakers... i was thinking that because the floorstander has 2 drivers and a tweeter and the component speaker has 1 driver and a tweeter... the receiver has a hard time driving the 2 drivers (floorstanders) than the 1 driver (component speaker)... producing a louder volume than the floorstanders... does this make sense? hehehe just my thoughts.

how do we match a speaker with the receiver?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2007 at 04:50 PM »
I think the more appropriate question is, "will this receiver satisfy me?" ;D. It depends on the performance level that you want from your HT. Even a so-so HTiB can satisfy a user who just wants better sound from a TV set.

does a receiver upgrade have a dramatic difference? is my current setup satisfy a 20sq meter room?

Oh YES, but skip the same level receivers and try to go for the mid level receivers (30k up). . IMO, they start to sound dramatically better starting at that price point. Buying a different brand but same level receiver might be a "side"grade instead of an "up"grade  ;D.

I once had a Yamaha 450, then 650 (sidegrade), then a mid level Harman 630, then tried power amps too. The differences were DRAMATIC indeed, specially in the details and mid range.

hmmm... im thinking of upgrading to a louder receiver, my current setup is a yamaha rx-v440, connected to a pioneer floorstander and component book shelf speaker as front, JPW Center speaker and 2 pioneer surrounds and a custom made subwoofer, a simple setup for a 20sq meter room.

The improvement does not lie in the "loudness" but in the quality of the sound you hear in your HT. Also the effortlessness of the receiver in powering your speakers vs room size. In this hobby, the more the merrier, excess is your friend... :D But like I said in the first paragraph, it all depends on how much you expect from your HT.

« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2007 at 05:26 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline mike c

• Trade Count: (+154)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2007 at 05:03 PM »
thanks for the prompt reply... im thinking of only using one pair of front... so i could maximize the speakers... i was thinking that because the floorstander has 2 drivers and a tweeter and the component speaker has 1 driver and a tweeter... the receiver has a hard time driving the 2 drivers (floorstanders) than the 1 driver (component speaker)... producing a louder volume than the floorstanders... does this make sense? hehehe just my thoughts.

how do we match a speaker with the receiver?

its very possible that the component speakers are louder because they are more efficient (designed to be that way because the included amp isn't really that powerful)
and also the fact that the pioneer speakers are 6 ohms.

a better question is, how do we match speaker and listener, you should set a budget, then listen to all the speakers for that budget (infinity, JBL, yamaha)

at this point, the best upgrade you can do is a speaker upgrade ... if you upgrade your receiver now, parang race car makina yung engine mo, pero all the other parts are not that good ... its better to balance your budget.  some say that the speakers should have most of the budget ratio.
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2007 at 05:55 PM »
... the receiver has a hard time driving the 2 drivers (floorstanders) than the 1 driver (component speaker)... producing a louder volume than the floorstanders... does this make sense? hehehe just my thoughts.

Yes, it makes perfect sense.

Your floorstanders have lower sensitivity.  That's why they produce lower volumes.  Your mini compo speakers have higher sensitivity.  That's why they produce louder volumes for the same amount of power input.

Your compo speakers were designed for use with a weak amplifier.  That's why it was intentionally designed with high sensitivity.  It produces louder volumes, but sacrifices accuracy. 

With a correctly matched amplifier, your floorstanders will produce satisfactory volume levels with reasonably accurate frequency reponses.  Using the same amplifier, your compo speakers will produce louder volumes, but with lousy accuracy.  Playing both speakers together will not be good because the more accurate sound produced by the floorstanders is ruined by the inaccurate sound from the compo speakers.  

The improvement does not lie in the "loudness" but in the quality of the sound you hear in your HT. Also the effortlessness of the receiver in powering your speakers vs room size.

Exactly right.

To illustrate, let's take the example of speakers built into an ordinary TV.   Very high sensitivity, producing high volumes from very low amplification from the TV's built-in amp.  Very loud and extremely efficient, but sounds awful. 
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2007 at 06:03 PM by barrister »