Author Topic: The Plasma Thread  (Read 103058 times)

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: The Plasma Thread
« Reply #300 on: Oct 21, 2007 at 12:21 AM »
Report on power consumption:

for those wondering about a plasma tv's power consumption. I got a panasonic 42pv70 early September.  I got my bill for the month already and may I just say that there is no marked increase in my electric bill. For comparison, my bill was higher during the  summer when I had to turn up my aircon more often.

Average use: 1-2 hours weekdays, at least 4 hours on weekends.

Offline dbrocka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #301 on: Jan 19, 2008 at 05:10 PM »
Hello im very new in Pinoydvd and i was planning on buying a plasma tv.  Do you guys have any recommendations I was initially looking into the Panasonic 42PV70 but the Hitachi P42A01 also caught my eye and leaning towards the Hitachi more.

http://www.hitachiconsumer.com/ph/products/proddetails.aspx?pid=2264&cid=117&tid=631

Any insights would be highly appreciated.  Ganda kasi ng PQ ng Hitachi but I was wondering longevity and if this will be ok attached to an HTPC?  Thanks in advance to the masters  ;D

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #302 on: Jan 19, 2008 at 06:51 PM »
Hello im very new in Pinoydvd and i was planning on buying a plasma tv.  Do you guys have any recommendations I was initially looking into the Panasonic 42PV70 but the Hitachi P42A01 also caught my eye and leaning towards the Hitachi more.

http://www.hitachiconsumer.com/ph/products/proddetails.aspx?pid=2264&cid=117&tid=631

Any insights would be highly appreciated.  Ganda kasi ng PQ ng Hitachi but I was wondering longevity and if this will be ok attached to an HTPC?  Thanks in advance to the masters  ;D

We have sent you pm, Sir. 

Between Hitachi P4201 and Panasonic TH42PV70, the latter has a better picture quality.  PV70 looks better resolution, and colorful picture. Though both claim to present 10000 contrast, the Panasonic has deeper black than Hitachi.

We invite you to our store Sights and Sounds 4th level Shangrila Plaza, and see the comparable difference between 42A01 and 42PV70.

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #303 on: Jan 21, 2008 at 10:39 PM »
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline doublej

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #304 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 07:38 AM »
Boss E-Reply,
I'm planning to buy a 42" plasma TV. I've heard a lot of good things about Panasonic and Pioneer. Would you be able to provide more insights? Do you sell Pioneer?

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #305 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 12:24 PM »
Boss E-Reply,
I'm planning to buy a 42" plasma TV. I've heard a lot of good things about Panasonic and Pioneer. Would you be able to provide more insights? Do you sell Pioneer?

Pioneer is the best in picture quality, but it is very expensive! You can almost buy 2 units of Pana PV70 for the price of a Pioneer 42".

Buy a Pioneer KURO if you are willing to spend for a quality picture at all cost.  Nonetheless, buy Panasonic if you are willing to compromise for lower picture quality but not expensive price. 

Both Pioneer PDP428 and Panasonic PV70 are available at Sights and Sounds 4th level Shangrila Plaza.  We invite you to see both on display side-by-side for picture comparison.

Offline doublej

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #306 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 09:40 PM »
Thanks, I may visit your place tomorrow.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #307 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 06:11 PM »
Plasma news:

Pioneer to stop making 42-inch plasma panels: report
Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:16am EST 

TOKYO (Reuters) - Pioneer Corp will stop making 42-inch plasma panels and instead buy panels in that size and smaller from Panasonic maker Matsushita Electric Industrial or Hitachi Ltd to turn around its loss-making flat TV business, the Asahi newspaper said.

Japanese consumer and auto electronics maker Pioneer will end output of such panels at a plant in Kagoshima prefecture in southern Japan as early as by March 2009, the paper said in the report on Saturday.

It will focus on making panels 50 inches or larger at other plants, the Asahi said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUST34259620080225

« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2008 at 06:15 PM by barrister »

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #308 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 12:12 PM »
Pioneer says goodbye to plasma manufacturing  :o :o :o
Posted Mar 3rd 2008 6:42PM by Richard Lawler

We wondered why its so hard to find one of Pioneer's award winning Kuro plasmas on shelves these days, and here is the answer. The Nikkei is reporting that Pioneer plans to stop producing plasma panels altogether, and only put together HDTVs with panels purchased from other sources. Panasonic and Hitachi remain as the only Japanese plasma manufacturers, Pioneer already has a deal with the former to purchase plasmas for its 42-inch model, and will expand that agreement according to The Nikkei. Honestly, this wouldn't be a big deal for most companies, as we've seen with the Sony/Sharp/Samsung triangle in LCD manufacturing, but since Pioneer is the only manufacturer promising the blackest black levels this side of carbon nanotubes, we're freaking out a bit. Here's hoping Pioneer slides over the blueprints to the infinite contrast concept (and that sexy 9mm model) and keeps the party going.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/03/03/pioneer-says-goodbye-to-plasma-manufacturing/

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #309 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 01:15 PM »
Wow, that's sad news.  I was hoping that the Kuro would help Pioneer recover its plasma business losses.

I'm still hoping that Pioneer will not close its plasma line entirely.  Maybe they will continue producing Kuros by buying panels from Matsushita, then installing Pioneer's proprietary screen filters and software.

More links:

Japan's Pioneer surges on report
to stop making plasma panels

03.03.08, 9:06 PM ET
http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2008/03/03/afx4725359.html

Pioneer says its plasma display business under
review amid reports of ending production

The Associated Press
Published: March 4, 2008
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/03/04/business/AS-FIN-COM-Japan-Pioneer.php
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2008 at 01:20 PM by barrister »

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #310 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 01:19 PM »
from my understanding, pioneer would stop manufacturing panels but would still assemble pdp's.

they have signed deals to acquire LCD panels and they will use the room in existing plants created from the lack of manufacturing equipement to assemble more pdp's.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #311 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 01:32 PM »
Malabo pa rin ang status. 

Two weeks ago, news reports announced that Pioneer was considering LCD production.  Just last week, the news was that they will stop production of 42" plasma panels.  This week, speculation is that Pioneer will stop plasma panel production entirely.  Who knows, next week's news might tell us that Pioneer will not be assembling plasma TVs at all. 

At any rate, there's still no official announcement from Pioneer as of the moment.

Reports have it that on March 7, 2008, Pioneer will hold a briefing on its overall business strategy.  It is not clear if the company will be issuing an official announcement on that date.

« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2008 at 12:35 AM by barrister »

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #312 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 03:32 PM »
i just made a purchase of 42pv70 yesterday from S&S, and is yet to arrive tonight/tomorrow/ My biggest concern is burn in image, if this happens, is it covered by the warranty? is it comparable to dead pixel policy ng mga LCD sellers? palit agad ng unit?
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #313 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 10:23 PM »
Pioneer "reviewing" plasma business, probably on the way out 
Posted Mar 4th 2008 2:04AM by Richard Lawler

Pioneer is officially "reviewing the plasma business", according to a release today -- much like Toshiba's "review" of the HD DVD business in February when it had decided to quit in January -- while a Reuters source confirmed The Nikkei's earlier report that Pioneer is getting out of the plasma panel manufacturing game altogether. While Pioneer would keep building plasmas based on panels sourced from Panasonic, according to the report, this would mark the exit of the the 5th ranked plasma manufacturer, and host to some of the best PDP displays and technologies around. We can't expect any official word until the company's press conference on the March 7, but rumors have swirled recently that it is considering a switch to LCD.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/03/04/pioneer-reviewing-plasma-business-/

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #314 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 11:54 PM »
i just made a purchase of 42pv70 yesterday from S&S, and is yet to arrive tonight/tomorrow/ My biggest concern is burn in image, if this happens, is it covered by the warranty? is it comparable to dead pixel policy ng mga LCD sellers? palit agad ng unit?

burn-in is not covered by warranty. all you have to do is observe the burn-in period and you won't have a problem.

Offline byron

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Audio and Video Phile Beginner
  • Liked:
« Reply #315 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 12:57 AM »
wow... with this news, it's hard to decide how to move forward (buyer's dilemma).  if Pioneer stops producing PDPs, how can they maintain servicability of existing users of their PDPs? 

a bit tough here. 

on this note, copy to ereply and nemesis, please send me the prices of the following PDPs:
pioneer 508XG
panasonic 50pv70
panasonic 50py700 (Full HD)

thanks!

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #316 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 01:54 AM »
Plasma TV is Dead - Pioneer Exits
by Clint DeBoer — last modified  March 04, 2008 04:00

As we predicted several years ago, plasma technology is on its way out. Putting one of the nails in the lengthy coffin is Pioneer Corp, who is stopping ALL production of plasma display panels. Last week we reported that they had decided to stop all 42-inch panel production, however that has now been expanded to its entire plasma line. This comes via an industry source briefed on the plan and quoted by Reuters in an article released today. Rather than panic, Pioneer shares immediately jumped to a four-month high following the report - up 11.2 percent.

You heard it here first: Plasma TV is dead.

Pioneer is the world's fifth-largest plasma TV manufacturer and has constantly struggled for relevance against the larger Panasonic brand (Matsus**ta). Now, Pioneer will buy its panels from the competing brand and it will begin picking up LCD panels from... you guessed it - Sharp. This makes three major manufacturers who are backing Sharp panel production in the coming year (inclusive of both Toshiba and Sony Electronics). Our guess is that Sharp is going to be the first to market with the new line of super-thin LCD panels that fans such as myself have been dreaming about for some time.

Investors have long known that Pioneer was bleeding red ink over its plasma division having several years ago decided not to compete in the low-price market. "This is an excellent development," said Mitsushige Akino, chief fund manager at Ichiyoshi Investment Management. "Pioneer could have chosen another way and stepped up its plasma investment despite the fact that the business is bleeding red ink, but it's a wise step to decide against that... a quicker decision would have been even better," he said.

This is no easy decision for the Japan-based manufacturer. Pioneer has spent nearly $1 billion (yes, with a 'b') on four plasma TV manufacturing plants and two additional plants it purchased from NEC.

According to the report, a Pioneer spokesman said the company would unveil its display business strategy when it announces company-wide business plans on Friday.

The only thing surprising about this announcement is its timing. Pioneer just last year launched its premier "Project Kuro" line which promised total black levels and was designed to give consumers a no-holds-barred choice for high-end plasma displays. Pioneer had repeatedly stated that the Kuro brand was gaining speed and 2008 would show that Pioneer had captured the high-end market. The problem is that Pioneer, while predicting several hundreds of thousands of plasma TV sales, was up against rival Panasonic who had a planned sales volume of more than 5 million units.

For those concerned, this doesn't mean that Pioneer will exit the plasma business. It simply means that they are, in the interim at least, looking to leave the plasma panel manufacturing business, opting instead to purchase their panels from a company like Matsus**ta (Panasonic).

As to what this means for plasma as a technology, we believe that, as predicted, this is the beginning of the end. It's longevity depends on a few factors now:

• Marketing and consumer perspective of the technology
• How quickly the new super-thin LCD TVs hit the consumer market (Hitachi is already releasing some)
• The continuation of rapidly-dropping LCD panel prices
• How much Matsus**ta invests in plasma versus its LCD manufacturing efforts in upcoming years

So there you have it. Plasma has begun its exit from the market as consolidation forces one of the largest proponents of the technology finally exits the manufacturing business and takes on LCD. We're sad to see it go, but it appeared to us at this year's CES that ultra-thin LCDs are going to hit the market much sooner than ultra-thin plasmas. When that happens there is going to be an incredible surge in popularity for the <1-inch thin displays that will push plasma technology further away. The same effect has happened to rear projection television, with manufacturers leaving those markets and technology in droves. Just this year, Sony decided to eschew all screen technologies save LCD and OLED - and it had a large stake in its LCoS-based SXRD line.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/plasma-tv-is-dead
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2008 at 01:56 AM by predator »

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #317 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 08:39 PM »
wow... with this news, it's hard to decide how to move forward (buyer's dilemma).  if Pioneer stops producing PDPs, how can they maintain servicability of existing users of their PDPs? 

a bit tough here. 

on this note, copy to ereply and nemesis, please send me the prices of the following PDPs:
pioneer 508XG
panasonic 50pv70
panasonic 50py700 (Full HD)

thanks!

Sent you pm, Sir.

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #318 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 08:55 PM »
ilabas na ang OLED displays!!!! ;D

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #319 on: Mar 06, 2008 at 06:10 PM »
If we are to infer from Pioneer's past of delivering ground breaking/leading panel pq technology in plasma, one can play with the idea that Pioneer has another good idea or two to contribute in the LCD arena, perhaps a pq that will rival plasma itself that is why they would consider "rethinking strategy" after spending a lot on plasma R&D.

i dont think they will come into the LCD turf unprepared, their Elite posturing is after all their bread and butter ........otherwise i just really hope they dont stop making those beautiful plasma panels.

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #320 on: Mar 06, 2008 at 06:45 PM »
If we are to infer from Pioneer's past of delivering ground breaking/leading panel pq technology in plasma, one can play with the idea that Pioneer has another good idea or two to contribute in the LCD arena, perhaps a pq that will rival plasma itself that is why they would consider "rethinking strategy" after spending a lot on plasma R&D.

im really interested with the PQ of Pioneer's planned venture into the LCD arena. di ba Samsung & Sharp panels ang ginagamit ng Sony for their Bravia LCD's? tapos ang difference lang is the Bravia engine ng Sony? maybe Pioneer can come up with something similar to that.

i dont think they will come into the LCD turf unprepared, their Elite posturing is after all their bread and butter ........otherwise i just really hope they dont stop making those beautiful plasma panels.

from what i've been reading on articles & posts at the avs forums, Pioneer will be using Panasonic panels for their future Plasmas. does that mean pareho na lang ang PQ ng Pioneer & Panasonic Plasmas? or pwedeng mas maganda pa with Pioneer's electronics & stuff?

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #321 on: Mar 06, 2008 at 10:31 PM »
pioneer will most probably take the same approach as sony with its bravia engine and samsung panel

pioneer actually uses NEC panel for its 42 inch plasmas but of course uses its proprietary engine in it, and we can still see the difference in pq vs others at this category, so its LCD approach must be the same.

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #322 on: Mar 07, 2008 at 10:36 PM »
Pioneer officially ends in-house plasma production, Kuro LCDs coming soon
Posted Mar 7th 2008 2:52AM by Richard Lawler

Say goodbye to Kuro as we knew (and loved) it, as Pioneer officially announced that after panel production of the next series of models is complete, it's ending all in-house plasma panel production and will build HDTVs based on panels bought elsewhere. The source went unnamed pending a final agreement, but Panasonic will likely follow up the 42-inch it's providing with plasmas of up to 60-inches. Due this fall are Kuro-edition LCDs, combining Pioneer's ultra-thin speakers and exacting picture quality standards with screens built by Sharp (hopefully this time sans-banding issues) that should see release Europe first. Other businesses affected are car audio, DJ equipment and Blu-ray players, but by streamlining operations and working closely with Sharp, it expects a return to profitability in 2010. Fans of deep black levels and accurate color reproduction probably shouldn't be alone right now, take a look at the .pdf and let the healing process begin in the comments. You're among friends, you're strong, you will get through this.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/03/07/pioneer-officially-ends-in-house-plasma-production-kuro-lcds-co/

Offline parak

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #323 on: Mar 09, 2008 at 01:54 AM »
Actually, the announcement has blown out of proportions. Get the inside scoop from popular science article. It seems like people are panicking because pioneer is outsourcing their panels when in fact this almost changes nothing on the beloved Kuro. This is from this website:

http://www.popsci.com/entertainment-gaming/article/2008-03/update-whole-story-pioneer-plasmas

"We had a quick phone call with Russ Johnson of Pioneer yesterday evening to find out what the decision to stop making plasma modules means. While Russ didn’t have answers to all our questions, we got a much clearer picture, so to speak.

He confirmed that Panasonic will provide the plasma modules—essentially the basic screen, without most of the electronics and the color filter. And though he didn’t say explicitly, we got the impression that Pioneer will be taking what Panasonic is giving, rather than dictating a design based on Pioneer’s plasma technology. This has to be a disappointment to Pioneer fanboys and girls, but it may not be a complete tragedy.

Johnson confirmed that Pioneer will still design its own video processors and “drive electronics” that make the panels work. The drive system is, he said, a key component of the Kuro technology that produces amazingly high contrast on Pioneer’s sets. But the plasma module is another part. Johnson pointed out that nowadays, plasma modules from the various manufacturers are not so different. But he acknowledged that Pioneer’s modules did have an extra something (which they have never adequately explained to us) that contributed to the Kuro look. We don't know yet how this will affect Pioneer's announcement at CES to make a plasma screens that can produce absolute black tones.

We also sent questions to Panasonic to get their side of the story, but they have not yet responded.

In a very telling move, Pioneer will also be getting in the LCD TV business through a joint venture with Sharp. When Pioneer, the great stalwart of plasma, starts selling LCD TVs, you get a clear indication of what side is winning this format war. (Even Panasonic, by far the largest Plasma seller in the US, has a big LCD TV line.)

Johnson said that Pioneer will be transferring the “Kuro DNA” to its LCD line, but he couldn’t really say what that means. Most LCDs have abysmal contrast ratios compared to plasma, so it’s not immediately clear how they can get up to a level worthy of the Kuro moniker. Using individually dimmable LED backlights could be part of the solution, Johnson said, but it still doesn’t allow the pixel-by-pixel control that plasma does.

If you’re a fan of Pioneer plasmas and don’t want to take chances on the Panasonic collaboration, hit the electronics stores this summer, when Pioneer will debut its latest (and last in-house-manufactured) line of plasma TVs."

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #324 on: Mar 09, 2008 at 04:16 PM »
That's a good post.  Very objective.

Ang pinakagrabeng sensationalized stories sa web, the entire plasma industry daw is dead becase of Pioneer's panel outsourcing.  Not dying lang, ha ---- dead na daw!  Sobra naman yun.

The good news is for the LCD technology.  I'm sure Pioneer will be able to contribute major improvements to the LCD tech's evolution.
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2008 at 09:05 PM by barrister »

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #325 on: Mar 09, 2008 at 08:04 PM »
Pioneer isn't abandoning Kuro plasma, expects same-quality panels from Matsus**ta
Posted Mar 8th 2008 12:38PM by Paul Miller

If you're all broken up about Pioneer's seeming exit of the plasma business, take heart. Pioneer Executive Vice President Russ Johnston claims Pioneer's plans aren't to abandon Kuro-quality plasma displays in any way. The move to an outside manufacturer (Matsus**ta, parent company of Panasonic) is designed to cut cost in plasma production, but Pioneer still plans to maintain its premium edge over competitors. "The number-one goal is to make sure we can maintain our differentiation," said Russ, "and specifically our Kuro difference in the marketplace." Apparently Pioneer will be still be responsible for the video circuit and processing, the color filter strategy and other such secret sauce, and the company is confident Matsus**ta can step up to the Pioneer level of panel production -- even if it might involve sharing a few trade secrets along the way. Apparently Matsus**ta is slated to start providing the modules by 2009.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/03/08/pioneer-isnt-abandoning-kuro-plasma-expects-same-quality-panel/
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2008 at 08:05 PM by predator »

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #326 on: Mar 10, 2008 at 08:32 AM »
plasma break-in discussion sa ibang forum. baka lang makatulong.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=949107

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #327 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 01:59 PM »
New Vieras:

VIERA Plasma TV from Panasonic Features 1,000,000:1 Contrast Ratio
By Chris Boylan
Published: 2008-03-14 - 00:31:06

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/panasonic-viera-plasma-tv-1459.shtml

Offline byron

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Audio and Video Phile Beginner
  • Liked:
« Reply #328 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 10:41 PM »
Hi Guys,
I just got my Pioneer 508XG from Vic!

thanks VIC! great service.

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #329 on: Mar 15, 2008 at 12:14 AM »
Congrats sir, happy viewing  ;D time to enjoy after the long search!