Author Topic: A Wise DVD PLAYER Investment: DENON!  (Read 2103 times)

Offline taurus_cute

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A Wise DVD PLAYER Investment: DENON!
« on: Apr 06, 2007 at 02:06 AM »
Let me just say my brief piece. To extract the best possible resolution or image from your DVD collection, consider DENON. Denon DVD players are by most measures high-end expensive but not qualifiably unreachable. Denon uses the most advanced line-doubler-interlacer chips including Faroudja and last year, the SQV-Teranex chip. This video "components" ensures that you're getting the most superior image from your DVD, and it notches up to a superlative degree the color and the details. Of course, if you won't invest towards videophile grade hardware, you'll by most chances settle for a Sony or a Pioneer. The former and current Denon models with the Faroudja chipset are the 2200, 2900, 3900, and 2006's 1930. At the present, Denon has adopted the SQV-Teranex (used formerly in video and projection monitors by the US Army, one project being the "Cruise" laser-guided missile tests; as well as broadcast-industry TV monitors) as the video chip for the 2930 and 3930. The 1930 model as far as we could determined sells for around P28,000 (certainly the most affordable in the current line). The 2930 is the certified bestseller in Denon's standard-DVD player line, most notably in Europe and the Americas. This is attributed to the modest price and the revolutionary REON video chip embedded which is the consumer-grade equivalent of the highly expensive SQV "Realta" chip. The 2930 sells for P50,000 in one AV shop. The 3930 has the Realta and sells for around P64,000. Side by side tests in America by videophile groups has compared the Denon with the Toshiba HD-DVD player and that of the sensation-causing Oppo 1080-upgrading DVD player. The certified best in image winner was given to the Denon for more superior contrast/detail and more vibrant image, besting even the high-definition Toshiba. In the presence of first generation HD DVD players, why would Filipino videophiles plunk P50,000 for the 2930 alone? I'll explained it away. If an SQV-Teranex video chip is used for the US Army's laser guided missiles for precision targetting (against enemies, of course), that's just a brilliant idea, but not technically that confounding. But if Denon embeds that same chip on a DVD player towards obtaining the best image - that goes beyond being brilliant, that's a mad scientist's idea, its a dark genius ingenuity. Denon, therefore, becomes in this case as a certified innovator, more so that Reon/Realta in a consumer electronic gadget is unprecedented. So far, only two other gadgets uses this chip(s): Mitsubishi 5000CV LCD projector and Yamaha 1300 DLP projector. Accounting the Oppo's economical price but sensation-causing video capability, the Denon would effectively overwhelmed it on its most touted feature because the 2930 upscales up to 1080 through the DVI/HDMI connector. On that feature alone, Denon compares squarely but even bested the over-all image resolution of the Oppo owing to more superior optical parts and construction. But this is just words, what is our experience in real-life testing? We teamed up the Denon with Infocus Screenplay 4805. Because the 4805 only has a native pixel count of 800 by 400, this means it cannot truly show a 1080p picture, thus the next best thing to do is to go 720p. Using an HDMI adoptor for the 4805 to be able to connect the DVI cable between projector and Denon, with a Kimber Kable brand DVI (P5,300), we set the Denon at 720p or SXVG pixel count and the projector at 1024 by 700 - 60hz. The result is a gorgeous, very rich, very gratifying image that would pale both a Monster THX-feed S-Video cable and a Monster 3 Component Cable. The word about HDMI being able to "unload" at least a billion colour shades (tints & hues) and notching up the image's contrast/sharpness and black level has proven to be not a mere marketing boast but a fact. In our five years of using both CRT Sony front projector and DLP projectors, we have not achieved this level of satisfaction and a sense of restfulness than the image achieved in the present 4805-Denon 2930 set-up.
As to the Toshiba HD-DVD, we cannot of course make a side by side comparison because we don't own a unit. But in wanting to learn how exactly does this Denons compare with the HD-DVD players, we turned to the US-based test which made the disclosure that indeed the Denon is even superior (in SD DVD film tests, of course). This we mentioned above, and this evaluation was made by none other than Forbes Magazine, under their technical review folks who wisely made the evaluations not within a laboratory but in a technical review gathering attended by dozens of witnesses. In fact, the marketing slant of the Denon is that it makes this Reon-embedded players to show that standard DVDs could still be "extracted" of a far better image than even the HD player would claim to improved upon.
Hence, consider this brand as a good investment, you might pay P50,000 for this unit but you can rationalized the expense by multiplying the number of years that this player will be fully relished by you. Spreading out the cost through years of gratifying use, that's the idea. If you're already using a front projection system, the Denon is a perfect source for a gratifying giant screen projection. In all cases, the result is pure magic.....
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2007 at 09:30 PM by taurus_cute »

Offline tediber

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: A Wise DVD PLAYER Investment: DENON!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2007 at 03:55 PM »
at p50k .... di ba considering that, say the oppo dv-981 around $230 .... at 1/4 the cost .... and performance level very close to it ..... is a much better buy ??? not to mention ultimately your source is only DVD ............... so you're Denon at p50k would have to outlast the life of 4 oppo's ...... by then DVDs would have probably been phased out.

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2007 at 05:00 PM »
I have a Denon 2910 bought in 2005....if only the HD players were around then, I wouldnt even get near a Denon, for 50k, I can have a HD player (PS3 or Tosh HD player) and still have change for a Oppo or other gears.  Thats why im selling my Denon for half and less of its cost, but still no one would get near it.....

Side by side tests in America by videophile groups has compared the Denon with the Toshiba HD-DVD player and that of the sensation-causing Oppo 1080-upgrading DVD player. The certified best in image winner was given to the Denon for more superior contrast/detail and more vibrant image, besting even the high-definition Toshiba.
hmmmm....no amount of upscaling of Denon will outdo the HD output of a Toshiba....it could  be in upscaling ability.....but upconverted SD vs HD?    might be close in poorly transfered HD titles.....but still HD will win.  no doubt.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2007 at 05:57 PM »
No doubt those Denon DVD players are quite impressive, but a 50K upscaling DVD player in transitional period 2007 = wise investment?

No disrespect but let me give you a piece of advise.  Try to find an opportunity to see with your own eyes how a hi-def movie looks on a hi-def player that also doubles as an upscaling DVD player, and then reexamine your thoughts about the 50K Denon DVD player being a wise investment.  Not discrediting the findings of videophiles but I think the idea is impractical.

« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2007 at 06:02 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline tediber

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2007 at 10:49 PM »
onga naman hehehehe an xbox360+HD-DVD add on drive less than p30k ..... me p20k ka pa to spend on HD titles hehehehehehe

or a 60gb PS3 around p30k din so that leaves you p20k for bluray titles ......

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2007 at 01:59 PM »
Denon was my first choice...until I found the OPPO at 1/5 the price   ;D

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2007 at 03:49 PM »
I have a Denon 2910 bought in 2005....if only the HD players were around then, I wouldnt even get near a Denon, for 50k, I can have a HD player (PS3 or Tosh HD player) and still have change for a Oppo or other gears.  Thats why im selling my Denon for half and less of its cost, but still no one would get near it.....
hmmmm....no amount of upscaling of Denon will outdo the HD output of a Toshiba....it could  be in upscaling ability.....but upconverted SD vs HD?    might be close in poorly transfered HD titles.....but still HD will win.  no doubt.

Ako naman may Denon 3910, at parehong pagsisi. Di talaga macompare ang HD ng PS3 sa upconverted SD. :P :P And worst yung HDMI won't even work with my Yamaha Reciever. >:( >:( Kalahating taon natulog sa Sights and Sound pero di nila maayos. Bought a Pioneer w/ HDMI na may DIVX which is more useful for watching torrent downloads and stuffed the 3910 sa closet :'( :'(

Offline el-el

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2007 at 09:16 PM »
Hmm.... kelan pa na-consider na "investment" ang pagbili ng electronics?  ???

...di naman nag-aapreciate and value pagtagal?  :o

...surely, Denon players are good.... but then if have 50k to spend, I'd probably get something else - probably an HD player na lang (BD player or HDDVD).  ::)
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2007 at 01:15 AM by el-el »

Offline taurus_cute

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2007 at 02:37 AM »
I hold on to the principle of getting the best DVD player to squeeze out the best picture resolution possible because for me the image is, simply - everything. I began my home theater pursuit around 1997 and the overriding concerns - above everything else - is a bigger picture with the best possible image. Now on the event that HD-DVD machines currently delivers the apex of image quality, then I'd go for it but I have not seen one in action. Even if my eyes has finally evaluated its superiority, the fact remains that the HD-DVD softwares that could be had now does not hold any cinematic, emotional or archival resonances for me. Of the lot (what, around a hundred?) that the HD-DVD format come out, I could cite only three that genuinely interests me: BARRY MANILOW LIVE, FORBIDDEN PLANET and STAINED GLASS ART WITH CHRISTMAS MUSIC. I have all three right now but could not view them up because they're playable only with those pioneering HD-DVD Toshibas and not with my Denons. I got them because I could instinctively tell that they'll go out of print shortly. The Manilow show is meant to showcase (someday) the supposed superiority of the HD-DVD picture because this DVD in its standard format holds one of the very best live concert image I have come to evaluate. Technically, it was a perfect job by Image Video and if I happened to be a big-screen TV salesman I could sell a lot of TVs by simply feeding it with the Manilow clips. Forbidden Planet is touted as a superior remastering of a Technicolor-era sci-fi classic on HD-DVD, hence, I could use it as a yardstick of how well Technicolors translate to 1080p processing. Stained Glass is about those Medieval Age-inspired colored glasses on cathedral windows depicting - what else - the holy figures. I like stained glass art and this HD-DVD is a rare documentary feature about such a specialized interest and art-form. The context for my espousal of getting a certifiably expensive DVD player (one that many on this site might likely find outrageous or shortsighted) is that the Denon is not meant to be used at all for a regular TV. It is strictly for giant-screen projection. I have no used for a regular TV because I have abandoned it a long time ago, one's visual perspective is just permanently altered when you adopt giant screen projection. And projecting to up to 100 inches by principle demands that your player could truly "fire" a superior resolution picture. Yes, by all means you could have an upscaling DVD right now for as little as P6,000, even lower - but their visual limitations is magnified right there.

Also, I grow up during the 60s & 70s and my young eyes was able to run after the last vestiges of the Technicolor film era. Digitizing those films on DVD which in most cases have their original prints made through the ultra-wide, panoramic formats like Todd A-O & Cinerama (2:35) demands that the player could do "algorithmics" and "interpolations" to bring the proper picture size and give out all picture information from those classique classics. The basic, consumer-grade DVD player would have a problem with that, because they were manufactured, chances are, on the assumption that they would be feed craps like "Meet Joe Black" or some such nonsense and unlikely with Peyton Place or How The West Was Won.

The Denons knew that it'll likely ends up in most cases as a tool for home cinematic projection, to used it as a pairing for a "mere" TV is almost a sacrilege against its engineering. Thats why it has to used more specialized optical helpers - in the case of the 2930 its the Reon video chip, in the case of the 3930 or the 5910 its the Realta. Those names stands meaningless for now for most folks, but when you're feeding giant screen projection - those video chips spell the difference between mere image and magical, stellar picture....
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2007 at 12:12 PM by taurus_cute »

Offline ganiman

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2007 at 02:33 PM »
Yep, I totally agree with your comments sir Taurus....I just bought a Denon 2930 and on dvds (not blu-ray discs) it blew away the ps3 (video upscaled to 1080p)....Of course it still does not equal the pq of blu-ray discs..

But the reason for buying the denon is so that you can maximise the potential of your dvds most especially if you already have a huge dvd collection!!!

Offline pirate_captain

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2007 at 07:12 PM »
taurus cute im more fascinated by your mastery of the english language than the content of your posts..haha  ;D ;D

Here is a quote from Lord of the rings that comes to mind. Spoken by treebeard regarding the entish language....

It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to

Heheh ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2007 at 07:15 PM by pirate_captain »

Offline kingkydoo

• Collector
  • DVD Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2007 at 09:43 PM »
If you're a billionaire, who cares? P50k will only be change for you :D

Offline taurus_cute

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 02:45 AM »
TO MY PAL GANIMAN: Yes, the DENON is bound to gratify you. I've gone through eight DVD players through the years, the last two being the 2200 and 2910 Denons, but the 2930 tops them all. I would not have loosed from my tight hands a substantial figure if I am not convinced that this machine would also satisfy the demands of a 100-inch giant screen picture coming from a 720p projector. The most valuable piece of chip on this unit is - to my thinking - the REON HQV VIDEO CHIP. That thing spells the difference between a DVD player that could be had even from Emilio S. Lim and a stellar performer. On a post I've did last year, I stated that the REON chip is a progeny of the REALTA video chip which was originally contracted for use in the United States military to accurately pinpoint a bombing target, as well as to deliver the best picture resolution of a satellite-fed monitor. I would postulate that this is the same chip used in a satellite video which has captured Osama Bin Laden encircled with his coterie of Taliban butchers in Afghanistan around six months before September 2001 - in an overhead shot. The image appeared as if a camera was hoisted over a dusty Afghan field with Bin Laden  at estimatedly 500 meters away from the sky. Of course, the image is actually captured by a satellite whose location is already beyond our atmosphere - but thats the visual strength that could be had from either the Realta or the Reon. I further stated that it takes a mad genius on the part of Denon to use such a chip for a DVD player - but that is exactly what they set to do. It was a trendsetting technical innovation because projector makers like Yamaha and Toshiba soon after also seized the idea.
This is not a hooray-hooray accolade for the Denon because I owned it as well as you do. My main advocacy is simply to get the best image quality from the DVD disk. If this Denon model can do that then we have no cause to rue our big spending - but the fact remains that this Denon model remains essentially as just an "incidental." So too with a projector.
I suggest that you use a branded HDMI cable for it because that gives the most superior image - once you see the result you'll not go back to anything associated with analog connections.