Author Topic: My dream theater  (Read 402594 times)

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: My dream theater - 11.4 speaker setup in progress
« Reply #1470 on: Apr 24, 2010 at 02:31 PM »
hehehe mukhang may idea ka na din sir Jake . . . kung tama ang hula ko, ito kaya ay ang . . . . . .

JL Audio?[/size][/spoiler]

bakit ang laki laki ng usapan sa speaker pero ang liit naman ng speaker, hinanap ko pa microscope mabasa lang eh ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline SETUP™

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #1471 on: Apr 24, 2010 at 02:31 PM »
Hmm?? ano kaya yun? ;D ;D   oist, bulong nyo sakin ;)
B&W Onkyo HiMedia Transparent SvS Modwright Samsung Rega Shunyata Focal Proac Sonus Faber Dynaudio

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1472 on: Apr 24, 2010 at 02:44 PM »

;D
 ;D
 ;D

ayaw . . . hulaan nyo din  :D   Pag tama hula ko lalakihan ko  :D ;D

Offline SETUP™

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1473 on: Apr 24, 2010 at 02:48 PM »
hmm.....

;D parang
 ;D alam
 ;D kona

hehe ;)
B&W Onkyo HiMedia Transparent SvS Modwright Samsung Rega Shunyata Focal Proac Sonus Faber Dynaudio

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1474 on: Apr 24, 2010 at 10:03 PM »
;D
 ;D
 ;D

ayaw . . . hulaan nyo din  :D   Pag tama hula ko lalakihan ko  :D ;D

Mali nga. May secret plan kami ni Jay2.  ;D
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1475 on: Apr 25, 2010 at 12:16 AM »

sir mark di na po yata home theater balak nyo eh mukhang theater na talaga hahahahaha. prang alam ko na kung anong speaker to ;D

Offline dts-HD 3D

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1476 on: Apr 25, 2010 at 04:51 PM »

eheheh see, pareho lang pala 'J' ang start ;D . . . alam ko meron pics yan floating somewhere hmmm halimaw sa laki :o

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1477 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 07:10 AM »
I still haven't set up the full 11 speakers yet. Still need to get the brackets done. Meanwhile, I experimented by using one pair of my existing surround speakers as the Height speakers and then calibrating all speakers using Audyssey Pro. The Height speakers are not at the ideal location and they are dipole (should be monopole). Nonetheless, experiment lang naman para ma-experience ang 9 speakers (no surround back speakers yet). With 9 speakers (kahit mali pa ang setup), I think the effect is already pretty awesome.

I had a mini-EB with Iiinas, Pchin & Setup kahapon (neighbors ko kasi, e yumpala nasa Paranaque na si Pchin). With Topgun, you feel like you are the pilot. Incredible din ang Die Hard 4 - you feel like you are part of the movie. D pa sila nag-post kasi nalasing for sure.

I don't know if "purists" will like the effect of 9 (or 11) speakers on concerts but the Audyssey designers also had music in mind when they created Audyssey DSX. As I've said before, there is a big improvement in soundstage. Becomes wider and higher. By the way, Audyssey DSX allows you to adjust the perceived width and height of the soundstage.

It's still a work in progress but I made a lot of progress this weekend in my understanding of how the 11 channels will work and in setting up the AVR for the various sources.

Offline bass_nut

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #1478 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 08:42 AM »
wow !!! soundstage presentation with realism ... heavy drooool mode ako ulit... congrats po sir Mark !!!  8)

Offline SETUP™

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1479 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 08:58 AM »
I still haven't set up the full 11 speakers yet. Still need to get the brackets done. Meanwhile, I experimented by using one pair of my existing surround speakers as the Height speakers and then calibrating all speakers using Audyssey Pro. The Height speakers are not at the ideal location and they are dipole (should be monopole). Nonetheless, experiment lang naman para ma-experience ang 9 speakers (no surround back speakers yet). With 9 speakers (kahit mali pa ang setup), I think the effect is already pretty awesome.

I had a mini-EB with Iiinas, Pchin & Setup kahapon (neighbors ko kasi, e yumpala nasa Paranaque na si Pchin). With Topgun, you feel like you are the pilot. Incredible din ang Die Hard 4 - you feel like you are part of the movie. D pa sila nag-post kasi nalasing for sure.

I don't know if "purists" will like the effect of 9 (or 11) speakers on concerts but the Audyssey designers also had music in mind when they created Audyssey DSX. As I've said before, there is a big improvement in soundstage. Becomes wider and higher. By the way, Audyssey DSX allows you to adjust the perceived width and height of the soundstage.

It's still a work in progress but I made a lot of progress this weekend in my understanding of how the 11 channels will work and in setting up the AVR for the various sources.

I learned a lot from yesterdays eb. thanks to sir mark's invitation. :)  for sure there's a lot of improvement whenever the audyssey dsx is turned on. i like the dsx wide soundstage. as mentioned by sir mark,  parang ikaw yung pilot inside the jet, it's breathtaking lalo pa halos kaharap ko ung front wide aimed at 60 degrees from the sweet spot. it is an exciting experienced to think only 9 channels are running.. paano pa kung  11 :o  Im pretty sure pag naayos na ni sir mark ang proper placing ng speakers surrounds ay mas magiging mas wider pa ang soundstage. With a source like jazz concerts, the sound is comparable to an audiophile grade output because of the clarity of sound it produces., and how it fills the venue. Tama ka medyo nalasing ako konti ;D ;D, but i had a nice time with you, iinas and pchin. Next EB siguradong naayos na ni sir mark yan..and it will be more louder and clearer. ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2010 at 06:08 PM by SETUP »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1480 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 03:34 PM »
Thanks Mark for the invitation. I wouldn't miss it. Me too had a great time yesterday. Got a bit tipsy na at the end... ;D

Wow Audyssey DSX has really outdone itself. We have enjoyed widescreen for years & didn't realize now we can also experience "widesound". Parang inside the movie talaga. I like it very much. Congrat Mark, you have now brought AV listening experience to the next level! ;) In conclusion, simply one word: Awesome!  :o :o

Nice meeting Iiinas and setup bros again. ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2010 at 04:06 PM by pchin »

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1481 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 03:51 PM »
as usual, even if the project is still in the work in progress mode. the sound stage of the wide speakers is already evident, specially when sir mark tweak the settings to my ears liking (wider sound stage i believe). but this one is really listeners preference as brader christian (set-up) preferred the opposite. but this just goes to show that the audyssey dsx is no marketing ploy, it does make a difference. so i cant wait for the whole thing to be set-up and tweaked to the fullest, as i know people will be gushing again.

btw, i learned that a certain kind of seats are not acoustically good for hts. hehehe. basta i am glad mine is a day bed.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1482 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 07:31 PM »
intayin ko na lang ulit ang grand EB pero dala na ako ng towel pang punas ng laway pag tumulo sa ganda ng bagong set up ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1483 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 11:19 PM »
@setup, @pchin and @iiinas -- thanks for the comments. As I've told you guys, I always look for value for money. Insofar as audio is concerned, I'm tired of fooling myself that I hear a difference between this cable or that cable (and some other stuff as well .. just like the blind test we conducted on media players which proved that there is no clear difference in pq between the different brands). I'm a big believer in Audyssey and after a long time, I decided that I was pretty certain that Audyssey DSX would provide a clear improvement - really no need for a blind test cuz its so obvious. It seems like I was right .. but I really want to get all the speakers perfect so I can see the full improvement!  :) :)

Thanks again!  :) :)

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #1484 on: Apr 27, 2010 at 08:46 AM »
@setup, @pchin and @iiinas -- thanks for the comments. As I've told you guys, I always look for value for money. Insofar as audio is concerned, I'm tired of fooling myself that I hear a difference between this cable or that cable (and some other stuff as well .. just like the blind test we conducted on media players which proved that there is no clear difference in pq between the different brands). I'm a big believer in Audyssey and after a long time, I decided that I was pretty certain that Audyssey DSX would provide a clear improvement - really no need for a blind test cuz its so obvious. It seems like I was right .. but I really want to get all the speakers perfect so I can see the full improvement!  :) :)

Thanks again!  :) :)

congrats Sir Mark!!! next time my mini EB PM mo ako. Neighbor din lang ako eh  ;D although hindi ako malalasing kasi i dont drink  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Beefy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1485 on: Apr 27, 2010 at 11:47 PM »
Hi streetsmart.

Are you using the PLIIz decoder for your height speakers? Were you able to experience good results with it?

I'm currently using PLIIz, however, the difference in "perceived sound" is subtle to none.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1486 on: Apr 28, 2010 at 06:34 AM »
Hi streetsmart.

Are you using the PLIIz decoder for your height speakers? Were you able to experience good results with it?

I'm currently using PLIIz, however, the difference in "perceived sound" is subtle to none.

I've been using the Audyssey DSX height speakers, not PLIIz. My AVR can also do PLIIz but I still need to get around to experimenting with it.

Audyssey DSX does make a huge difference. For me, it's not subtle.

Offline Beefy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1487 on: Apr 28, 2010 at 11:44 AM »
Thanks congrats on your new project  :)

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1488 on: Apr 28, 2010 at 09:26 PM »
Thanks congrats on your new project  :)

I've done a bit of testing. Yes, you are right. Dolby PLIIz seems to have only a tiny effect.

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #1489 on: May 01, 2010 at 02:00 AM »
btw, i learned that a certain kind of seats are not acoustically good for hts. hehehe. basta i am glad mine is a day bed.  ;D ;D ;D
bro expound and share naman  ;D
ninjababez online ..

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1490 on: May 04, 2010 at 11:30 AM »
I finally set up the 11.4 system properly (or almost). Took a lot of work - new speakers, re-arrange furniture, fabricate customized speaker brackets, run new speaker cables (through the ceiling and then down through the walls) and then align the speakers properly. It took a day to fabricate the brackets and then a full day, from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. with 7 workers to set everything up. In the end, I realized that the brackets for the Height and Surround Back channels were wrong – they have only 2 degrees of freedom and you really need 3 degrees and so right now, the Height and Surround Back channels are tilted sideways. I think they still work alright but I will need to change them in the future.

I’m still getting used to Audyssey DSX, as well as the Denon 4810, but my initial impression is that all this work (and cost) was worth it. For me, the difference is not subtle, particularly with surround-heavy movies and concerts.

For movies, the improved imaging is quite eerie, particularly for sounds which are outside the screen – a door closing at the left side, cars moving from left to right, a flyby of planes from front to rear.

With regard to the improvement in surround envelopment, I notice this quite a lot, partly because my HT is pretty long, and I feel that the extra 4 speakers in front have filled up the gap between the fronts and the surrounds/surround backs. To quote a cliché, you are inside the movie and in the pilot’s seat (literally when you are watching “Top Gun”). So far, my best experience with the sound envelopment of DSX is with “Ratatouille,” all the way from the lightning strike up to the sewer scene – hard to describe the experience, just a smooth sound in the entire room which sucks you into the movie.

For both concerts and movies, the soundstage suddenly expands way beyond the edges of your room which (for me) is a very pleasing experience. It adds to the fantasy of the experience. You get quite enraptured in the movie or concert. This is actually pretty similar to the DSP effects of AVR manufacturers (Arena, Classical Concert, etc.) but somehow, it seems that those implementations are artificial – since there are no wide or height speakers, the DSP effect tries to simulate those but the result does not seem right.

There is one experience which I am uncertain about and may be a placebo effect but it seems to me that sounds appear to be more distinct, particularly for concerts. With the help of MultEQ Pro, I had always thought that one of the strengths of my system was its ability to separate instruments but with DSX, it seems that this has improved even more. I notice this particularly with acoustic guitar which now seems to be even more realistic. Is this the result of having 4 more speakers in front? I’m not sure.

I still have at least one more thing to do which is to adjust the shelves for my amps. The 4810 has only about 2 inches clearance from the top and even with a fan, it gets too hot. It’s actually pretty simple for a carpenter to adjust the shelves but the work involved in removing the equipment and re-installing them is a lot.

I’m also still struggling with video from my media player. It’s hard to describe but for certain video resolutions, it took me a long time to figure out that I need to disable the “video convert” feature of the AVR and with this setting, I don’t get an OSD over the picture. A bit annoying and so I’m still trying to find a work-around.

Once I get these last bugs fixed, pwede na siguro EB.  ;D ;D

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: My dream theater - 11.4 speaker setup DONE!
« Reply #1491 on: May 04, 2010 at 11:45 AM »
Congrat for a 11.4 system! Phew...that's indeed lots of work Mark!  :o

Glad to hear all go well & an EB is at the horizon na. :D

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1492 on: May 04, 2010 at 11:46 AM »
congratulations sir mark, :) ;) :) ;) :)

in a very small room like mine, i am already in awe of what the DSX setting provides me, as I have been saying to myslef always, there are some advantages in having a small room as minimal additions, tweaks in settings create significant improvement in the SQ. My biggest challenge though is that the room is only 3M wide thus the front wide speaker is around 3 inches only from the side wall, no other choice for me in this case but still, the viewing pleasure has increased by leaps and bounds.

i could just imagine how huge the impact is in your HT baka wala ng labasan pag nag EB ulit. I share the same experience with concerts and have experienced a new way of enjoyment when i watched Eagles with the DSX.

Congratulations again ;) :)

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1493 on: May 04, 2010 at 11:48 AM »
congrats ser :)
pasama po sa eb ;)

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #1494 on: May 04, 2010 at 12:48 PM »
Congrats Mark!

Agree with Tirso, walang labasan na ng  room niyan pag EB, dapat ata 8:00am ang first showing, hanggang last full show sa gabi!!!! hehe  ;D

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #1495 on: May 04, 2010 at 01:10 PM »
nice!  ;)

Offline SETUP™

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1496 on: May 04, 2010 at 01:13 PM »
Sarap manuod nito with sushi and wine ;)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #1497 on: May 04, 2010 at 02:10 PM »
Sarap manuod nito with sushi and wine ;)

pang special screening yun brader. hehe.  :D

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #1498 on: May 04, 2010 at 03:50 PM »
wow naka set-up na pala. congrats Sir Mark!!!

Offline ryn0128

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1499 on: May 04, 2010 at 04:12 PM »
congrats sir mark! ;D ;D ;D