Author Topic: My dream theater  (Read 402737 times)

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: My dream theater - the Star has landed
« Reply #2760 on: Nov 28, 2011 at 10:07 PM »
sir mark, my neighbor!!! congrats to another great xmas eb...

thanks also for giving a glimpse of the monster before the eb... here are some pics i was able to take aside from the great photos taken already by sir pchin, it was a pity i was not able to see the stellas and the maestros together, that could have been a one in a million moment...

Salamat! As usual, champion ang pictures mo!

Meron ngang iba na nag-akala na photoshop lang ang mga pictures ng Stella and Maestro combined. Totoo yun. Bago kinuha ang Maestro, pinakinggan muna namin na Wides sya and kinunan ng pictures ni Pchin ang Maestro and Stella. Ang ganda talaga ng tunog at ng itsura pero di magandang idea yun. The Wide speakers are not worthy of the Maestro - overkill. Next audio upgrade? Maybe surrounds. Maybe Focal Utopia sub? Ewan.  ;D
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 814
« Reply #2761 on: Nov 28, 2011 at 10:13 PM »
Salamat! As usual, champion ang pictures mo!

Meron ngang iba na nag-akala na photoshop lang ang mga pictures ng Stella and Maestro combined. Totoo yun. Bago kinuha ang Maestro, pinakinggan muna namin na Wides sya and kinunan ng pictures ni Pchin ang Maestro and Stella. Ang ganda talaga ng tunog at ng itsura pero di magandang idea yun. The Wide speakers are not worthy of the Maestro - overkill. Next audio upgrade? Maybe surrounds. Maybe Focal Utopia sub? Ewan.  ;D

Pwede kaya Maestro as rears, para wala ng kaba sa reference level?  ;D
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2762 on: Nov 28, 2011 at 10:13 PM »
Sir mark, malapit ka nang abutan sa height ng mga speakers mo in every upgrade mo.  :) Paano pa kapag EM grande na...

Kaya nga ayaw ko na upgrade sa Grande. Parang daughter ko yan. Halos same height na kami kaya bawal nang tumangkad pa siya. The Grande is 18" higher and 4" wider than the Stella. Masyado nang malaki. Of course, meron nang Grande sa Manila at kung ibenta ng may-ari ng mura ...  ;D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2763 on: Nov 28, 2011 at 10:20 PM »
Pwede kaya Maestro as rears, para wala ng kaba sa reference level?  ;D

Wala ako problem sa surround backs. Problem is surrounds. Yung nasa sides. The Maestros are 250 lbs each and the surrounds are mounted about 9 feet high. Mahirap yata mount ang 250 lbs na speaker 9 feet high.

The other problem is that the surrounds don't need a speaker as good as the Maestro. They don't produce audio material worthy of a Maestro. I need a powerful bookshelf speaker and right now, the only one is the Diablo Utopia, which I also think is overkill. Therefore, malaking problema.

Offline Full HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2764 on: Nov 29, 2011 at 12:57 AM »
Wala ako problem sa surround backs. Problem is surrounds. Yung nasa sides. The Maestros are 250 lbs each and the surrounds are mounted about 9 feet high. Mahirap yata mount ang 250 lbs na speaker 9 feet high.

The other problem is that the surrounds don't need a speaker as good as the Maestro. They don't produce audio material worthy of a Maestro. I need a powerful bookshelf speaker and right now, the only one is the Diablo Utopia, which I also think is overkill. Therefore, malaking problema.
Happy Problem!! Congrats!Sir Mark.My apology for not being able to make it.

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #2765 on: Nov 29, 2011 at 06:57 AM »
Like the others have said, I was surprised at the huge improvement of the sound. Maingay na ang mga tao and yet the Stellas sang very loudly--and more significantly, very cleanly, clearly and sweetly--above the noise of the crowd. And yet walang sakit sa tenga. Buong buo ang tunog lalo na mga vocals.

As for the surrounds, if it will allow you to listen at reference level without fear of blowing your amps and speakers, ika nga may peace of mind ka, it's not overkill...  :D ;) ;D hehe

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2766 on: Nov 29, 2011 at 08:13 AM »
As for the surrounds, if it will allow you to listen at reference level without fear of blowing your amps and speakers, ika nga may peace of mind ka, it's not overkill...  :D ;) ;D hehe

Langya ka, Arn!  ;D ;D

Offline SETUP™

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2767 on: Nov 29, 2011 at 08:36 AM »
Thank you ulit sir Mark!  Wow! DIABLO surrounds na next :o :o  go! sir Mark ;D
B&W Onkyo HiMedia Transparent SvS Modwright Samsung Rega Shunyata Focal Proac Sonus Faber Dynaudio

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #2768 on: Nov 29, 2011 at 08:56 AM »
Langya ka, Arn!  ;D ;D

Haha, isipin mo parang insurance yan.

It's not cheap but you buy peace of mind!!! Hehehe

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2769 on: Nov 29, 2011 at 09:07 AM »
Actually, just based on specs and its construction, the major improvement of the Stella over the Maestro is supposed to be in the bass frequencies. Yet, it is very true that there is a very clear improvement in the mids and highs. This is in spite of the fact that the tweeters are the same and the mids are the same (except that the Stella has 2 mids). I would attribute the difference to the cabinet. Somehow, the cabinet has helped improve the mids and highs significantly better, something I never expected.
Aside from the cabinet it should be bcos of the electromagnet woofer itself. Maybe thats how a clean, distortion-free bass should sound its not over-powering the other freq.? Kaya klaro lahat, bass power on demand lang?
Hirap pag bago lang sa audio, puro ako hula :D

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #2770 on: Nov 29, 2011 at 09:07 AM »
Haha, isipin mo parang insurance yan.

It's not cheap but you buy peace of mind!!! Hehehe
galing bro arn!  mukhang linya mo yan ah!  :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2771 on: Nov 29, 2011 at 12:51 PM »
Aside from the cabinet it should be bcos of the electromagnet woofer itself. Maybe thats how a clean, distortion-free bass should sound its not over-powering the other freq.? Kaya klaro lahat, bass power on demand lang?
Hirap pag bago lang sa audio, puro ako hula :D

Good point. Kasi nga when you do something to improve the bass, madalas na all the other frequencies are improved as well. Di na kasi sila natatabunan ng bass.

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #2772 on: Nov 29, 2011 at 01:16 PM »
Like the others have said, I was surprised at the huge improvement of the sound. Maingay na ang mga tao and yet the Stellas sang very loudly--and more significantly, very cleanly, clearly and sweetly--above the noise of the crowd. And yet walang sakit sa tenga. Buong buo ang tunog lalo na mga vocals.

"The answer is blowing in the wind...." ;D ;D ;D
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline deo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • 'Evening...commissioner :D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2773 on: Nov 29, 2011 at 04:41 PM »
Congrats mark...ang dami ng dumaan na gears since i last visited... ;)

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #2774 on: Dec 01, 2011 at 10:26 AM »
Sir Marc thanks again for yesterday's classical concert listening session  :)
My wife really enjoyed listening and watching the wonderful soprano performers and she was inspired to sing again  :D

Ganda talaga ng Stella, nakaka inlove  ;D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2775 on: Dec 01, 2011 at 10:46 AM »
Sir Marc thanks again for yesterday's classical concert listening session  :)
My wife really enjoyed listening and watching the wonderful soprano performers and she was inspired to sing again  :D

Ganda talaga ng Stella, nakaka inlove  ;D

That's really nice to hear.  :)

It's a magical experience to listen to good soprano singers.

Offline pilyo168

• Trade Count: (+183)
  • DVD Guru
  • If you dont feel your bass. Your subwoofer sucks.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2776 on: Dec 03, 2011 at 07:59 PM »
Master mark pa audition naman ng 5 of the best phenom Focals.

Here's a preview of Mark's latest & biggest upgrade!  :D

Sensya na i really have to do this again.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline ryn0128

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2777 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 07:36 AM »
Master mark pa audition naman ng 5 of the best phenom Focals.
Sensya na i really have to do this again.  ;D ;D ;D

WOW!!!! Giants!!! Dapat nga ulit ulitin!:) congrats Sir Mark!

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2778 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 08:04 AM »
dang! maestros pang surrounds lang!  :o :o :o
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2779 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 09:08 AM »
dang! maestros pang surrounds lang!  :o :o :o

Hi tokayo!

As I think I've mentioned earlier, mainly photo-op lang yun. Nang inakyat ang Stella speakers, kinabit ko muna ang Maestros as Wide speakers tapos pinakinggan namin. Ang ganda! Pagkatapos, kinunan ni pchin ng picture at tinangay na ang Maestros. Binili na ang Maestro. Pero ang ganda talaga ng picture kasi once-in-a-lifetime that you can take the Maestros and Stellas in one room.

But honestly, di ko gagawing surrounds ang Maestro. That's a real waste. I've also seen the specs of the Sub Utopia and they only go down to 22 Hz so I'm not interested in them either. Baka Grande Utopia EM, pwede pa.  ;D ;D

Offline Cjtjader

• Trade Count: (+193)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Lux Lucis Volo
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 256
« Reply #2780 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 11:27 AM »
Hi tokayo!

Baka Grande Utopia EM, pwede pa.  ;D ;D

PWDEEEEEEEE, Sir Mark! Merry X'mas po! 8) 8)

« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2011 at 11:35 AM by Cjtjader »
Perspicuus ~ Quietus ~ Consilium ~ Patefacio

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2781 on: Dec 13, 2011 at 06:26 PM »
Finally, my review of the Focal Stella Utopia EM speakers.

I recently upgraded my front speakers from Focal Maestro Utopias to Focal Stella Utopia EM’s.

The flagship speakers of Focal are the Grande Utopia EM, they are nearly 7’ high and they weigh 573 pounds each. The Stella Utopia EM speakers are next in line and they are large but look small beside the Grand Utopia. They are 61” high and weigh 363 pounds each.

More important, the Stella Utopia EM speakers are the only other speakers that use the ground-breaking electromagnet (EM) technology. Instead of using a permanent magnet, the Grande and Stella Utopias use an electromagnet which is much more powerful than a standard magnet but lighter. This basically results in 2 to 4 times less distortion and in an incredibly detailed and tight bass. As is typical, this clean-up of the bass frequencies likewise results in clearer mids which are no longer masked by excessive bass ringing and distortion. The Stella speakers love drums and I honestly have never heard such a wonderful reproduction of drums from tympani and kick drum to snare to congas to tom-toms.

The improvement in bass frequencies is confirmed by measurements. Using the XTZ Room Analyzer system, I have verified that the typical modal problems of my room have somehow been significantly tamed. This improvement may be attributed not only to the electromagnet of the Stella but also its passive EQ controls. There are 2 controls for the bass, 2 for the tweeter and 1 for the mid-range, each with 3 settings. This results in 243 possible combinations, which is an audiophile’s dream. Using these controls, combined with the acoustic treatment of the room and proper speaker placement, you can get very nice sound quality, which is then finally passed through the electronic EQ treatment of Audyssey MultEQ Pro that results in excellent frequency response and reduced ringing. 

Fortunately, it is not only the bass frequencies which are superb but a lot of other things as well. One of the most striking features is the sweetness of its tweeter and mid-range, while retaining the Utopia characteristic  of intricate detail. This allows you to jack up the volume, even all the way up to reference level without causing your ears to bleed. How has this been achieved? Maybe the extra mid-range tweeter? Maybe the new cabinet? I don’t know but it results in incredibly sweet sound, a deep soundstage and airiness surrounding the musical instruments. I would describe this as a 3D sound with instruments floating in the air.

Another incredible feature is its astounding dynamic range. It has beautiful detail in both the softest and loudest passages. Even more impressive, when you have a complicated musical passage with a lot of instruments, you can distinctly hear the sound of a tiny triangle piercing through a wall of heavy drum beats – both the heavy boom of big drums and the tiny sparkle of a triangle at the same moment.

Finally, all of this results in a beautifully balanced sound. From the top to the bottom, from violins to upright bass, from trombones to sax, from triangle to cymbals, from soprano to tenor, I have never heard a more accurate reproduction of sound than from the Focal Stella Utopia EM (but of course, I am biased  ;D).

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #2782 on: Dec 13, 2011 at 06:50 PM »
while i cant fully understand the technicalities of things sir mark, i am pretty sure about the finesse simultaneous with power and grip, the new speaker allows the listener to enjoy listening at reference level without straining the ears.

this is probably how i will get to hear Shamcey Supsup when she is shouting at me. LOUD BUT SWEET and I want more ;D ;D ;D
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline mandyb

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: My dream theater - Focal Stella Utopia EM review
« Reply #2783 on: Dec 13, 2011 at 07:14 PM »
wow Mark, very very beautiful, congratulations!

Offline den1224

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2784 on: Dec 13, 2011 at 08:40 PM »
Really great speakers Mark, surely great sounding too no doubt.   :o

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #2785 on: Dec 13, 2011 at 10:43 PM »
Truly one of the best sir Marc... One of the best...
If given the chance I will definitely listen to them again and again.

Very inspiring review too  :)

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2786 on: Dec 14, 2011 at 09:17 AM »
Audio or movies very natural-sounding ang Stella sir Mark. I'm with you when you said that you heard an 'accurate reproduction of sound'. And with the help of xpa-1s ang ganda din ng dynamics I think napalabas naman nya yung character ng Stella. Great sytem, Congrats once more!

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #2787 on: Dec 14, 2011 at 10:13 AM »
Sir Mark!

Ever watched "A Streetcar Named Desire" on "Speakers we all Desire? ;D"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1A0p0F_iH8

Pretty sure that whatever you put on, your new Stella's will sing more than well ;D ;D ;D

Happy Holidays :D :D :D
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline Billabong

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2788 on: Dec 14, 2011 at 12:12 PM »
Very nice review sir Mark! Congrats! ;)

No plans on upgrading your amps? hehe IMO, mas bagay diyan yung mga ultra hi-end amps dahil ultra hi-end din si Stella. ;D Maganda na siya ngayon with the Emotiva monoblocks pero I'm sure malaki pa ang potential niyan.

Maybe you also want to try changing the cables. I was also a non-believer before until recently when I found out that they do make a significant difference in sound. Especially with your system, I'm sure you will hear even the most subtle differences. :D

And for music/audio, bagay diyan yung Studio Master recordings. These are real 24bit music files usually at 88.2/96/192Khz. Medyo may kamahalan ang albums pero mas maganda ang tunog. :D

Just sharing my recent discoveries. hehe :)
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2011 at 12:32 PM by Billabong »

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2789 on: Dec 14, 2011 at 02:31 PM »
while i cant fully understand the technicalities of things sir mark, i am pretty sure about the finesse simultaneous with power and grip, the new speaker allows the listener to enjoy listening at reference level without straining the ears.

this is probably how i will get to hear Shamcey Supsup when she is shouting at me. LOUD BUT SWEET and I want more ;D ;D ;D

Eto ang tinatawag na wishful thinking.  ;D