Author Topic: My dream theater  (Read 402731 times)

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
Re: My dream theater - Focal Stella Utopia EM review
« Reply #2880 on: Sep 11, 2012 at 08:48 PM »
Congrats, Sir Mark!

Great upgrade and something to look forward to..

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SIM2 Grand Cinema Mico 50
« Reply #2881 on: Sep 12, 2012 at 05:33 AM »
SIM2 is not a well-known brand among projectors, unlike Panasonic, Epson, Optoma, etc. but I guess you could look at it like the Ferrari of projectors. It's an elite brand which has been at the cutting-edge of projector technology for a long time. One of their innovative products was the Mico 50, which was among the first LED projectors to be sold to the consumer market.

One of the main selling points of the Mico 50 has been that it does not have a lamp. For those who are familiar with projectors, that is quite a big convenience (as well as savings). As lamps are used, their quality deteriorates. Not only do they become more dim, their overall image quality gets worse. In the first 500 hours of use, projector lamps usually lose about 50% of their brightness level. Picture quality deteriorates and even if you had a perfect video calibration at the start, you will need a new one. Some videophiles redo their calibration after every 100 hours of lamp usage. This is one of the features that attracted me most to the Mico -- a stable image which does not need constant re-calibration over time.

The projector is huge, similar in size to the older and huge CRT projectors. It weighs 55 pounds and you need a very strong mount. Fortunately, my main mount used to carry a CRT projector so it is quite capable. AV Driver, the supplier of the projector, provided a custom-made bracket that they bolted to the main mount. Installation literally took 15 minutes.

Similar to other SIM2 products (and a lot of Italian products), the projector is aesthetically beautiful, with a gun-metal finish. If you look at it, it looks like it is equal to its price. It's like looking at a Ferrari.

One of the things which will stun you is the time it takes to switch on and off. Switching on takes about 10 seconds while switching off takes around 3 seconds. Normal projectors may take a few minutes. Also, since there is no lamp, you don't need to worry about reducing lamp life through frequent switching on and off. You can switch it off and in a few seconds, switch it on again without worry. That's not true for other projectors. It takes time for them to cool down when you switch them off and lamp life is reduced as you frequently switch them off.

The projector has a built-in 2-point RGB adjustment for white balance, similar to other projectors. It was at first disappointing that the projector did not have a 10-point RGB adjustment, though I have a DVDO Duo Video Processor connected to the projector and this does have the 10-point adjustment. John, the AVDI tech, and I adjusted the white balance at the projector and to our surprise, all we needed was to adjust one point, not even 2, and both white balance and gamma were so good that we didn't need to do any further adjustment with the DVDO video processor. I have calibrated a lot of projectors and sometimes, it is easy to calibrate the white balance (which is the balanced mix of red, green and blue) but then it will be a torture to adjust gamma (which is the proper shading of the image from darkest to lightest, so that shadows are properly captured and have a smooth gradation, thus providing the illusion of a 3-dimensional image). Some of the most notorious for gamma calibration are the Panasonic projectors, which have a 10-point adjustment but they are so difficult to calibrate that it takes me 2 hours or more. With the Mico, when the white balance was done, the gamma was perfect.

Color calibration (Hue, Saturation and Luminance) was a little more involved and it took us maybe 1.5 hours, but that was mainly because we were not familiar with the projector calibration features. At the end, we did get the color calibration perfect and it is, in fact, the most perfect color calibration I have seen. Most projectors will have a problem with a few colors and you will be unable to calibrate them properly. That's just the limitation of most projectors. The Mico was perfect.

Picture quality is quite stunning. Many modern projectors have deep blacks and high contrast ratio and the Mico has these qualities as well but what it beats others is in color accuracy and sharpness. In most well-calibrated projectors, you sometimes get stunned by the realism of an image and this invariably is a facial close-up where you can see the pores, hair strands, skin blemishes, etc. With the Mico, this is the first time I see this stunning realism in half-body and even full-body images. People come alive.

The Celine Dion show in Las Vegas is among the best tests for projectors and the Mico produced an image which was incredibly beautiful. Skin tones are so realistic and the many colorful costumes and sets somehow come alive too. Motion flow was no problem, it was very smooth too.

In short, the Mico produces a picture quality which is among the best I have ever seen. Probably the only one that is better was the Sim2 Lumis that I saw in HK, projecting to a huge screen which may have been 14 to 15 feet wide.

Originally, I had been thinking of getting the new Sony VPL-VW 1000 projector, which has 4k. After reading a lot of reviews and following the threads at AVS Forum, I decided not to buy it, mainly because of the view that you can only appreciate 4k if you sit really close to the screen. Mahihilo ako.

Thus, my attention went to the Mico which was set up at the AV Driver showroom and was the best pq I had seen locally. I think it was a good decision. One of my overriding philosophies in this Audio-Video hobby is that whatever upgrade I have must be so good that you have to be blind not to see the improved picture or deaf to not hear the better audio. The Mico certainly meets this requirement. The picture quality improvement is pretty stunning.
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2012 at 05:40 AM by streetsmart »
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: My dream theater - SIM2 Grand Cinema Mico 50 projector review
« Reply #2882 on: Sep 12, 2012 at 05:45 AM »
I used to think your previous Sony's PQ is the best already. May mas maganda pa pala! You never cease to amaze us with your annual major upgrades sir Mark. Congrats!
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline Pau_D_Mann

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • DVD Guru
  • If It Sounds Good To You..... :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2883 on: Sep 12, 2012 at 05:49 AM »

Congratz Sir Mark....

Your HT Setup is Still The Best... The Very Best.... :)

Cheers!
Cayin 55TP + Cayin CD50T + B&W 685 + Rega RP3 + Musiland 01 + Sabre Praetor + Lovan Rack

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #2884 on: Sep 12, 2012 at 05:58 AM »
In short, the Mico produces a picture quality which is among the best I have ever seen.

Thus, my attention went to the Mico which was set up at the AV Driver showroom and was the best pq I had seen locally. I think it was a good decision. One of my overriding philosophies in this Audio-Video hobby is that whatever upgrade I have must be so good that you have to be blind not to see the improved picture or deaf to not hear the better audio. The Mico certainly meets this requirement. The picture quality improvement is pretty stunning.

Clap clap clap very nice projector sir mark. When I was invited to audition a speaker before sa av driver showroom, hindi yung speakers ang napansin ko but the picture quality of the projector. Hindi na ako nahiya at napalakas yata yung WOW ko :-[ ;D para akong bata noon. Up to now Hindi malimutan pq nya, they were playing David foster concert and kahit anong frame napakaganda. It's like watching a plasma panel that is perfectly calibrated ;) we even had ambient lighting at that time. Now before i forget they mentioned it's 2M daw kaya ayun kaput agad sa dreams ko ;D Sir yung Adam tensor speakers ang naka pair dyan ah :D pogi din. Congratulations again.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2885 on: Sep 12, 2012 at 06:18 AM »
In short, the Mico produces a picture quality which is among the best I have ever seen.

Clap clap clap very nice projector sir mark. When I was invited to audition a speaker before sa av driver showroom, hindi yung speakers ang napansin ko but the picture quality of the projector. Hindi na ako nahiya at napalakas yata yung WOW ko :-[ ;D para akong bata noon. Up to now Hindi malimutan pq nya, they were playing David foster concert and kahit anong frame napakaganda. It's like watching a plasma panel that is perfectly calibrated ;) we even had ambient lighting at that time. Now before i forget they mentioned it's 2M daw kaya ayun kaput agad sa dreams ko ;D Sir yung Adam tensor speakers ang naka pair dyan ah :D pogi din. Congratulations again.

I had a similar experience. Matagal na kinekwento sa akin ni John (of AVDI) ang plano nila for their new room at Shang mall. When it was finally done, pumunta ako to listen to a Focal Scala Utopia. Ang ganda nga ng tunog - incredibly good. However, what literally caught my eye was the pq of the SIM2 projector! Wow nga ang reaction. Di ko nakalimutan yun.

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #2886 on: Sep 12, 2012 at 06:24 AM »
I had a similar experience. Matagal na kinekwento sa akin ni John (of AVDI) ang plano nila for their new room at Shang mall. When it was finally done, pumunta ako to listen to a Focal Scala Utopia. Ang ganda nga ng tunog - incredibly good. However, what literally caught my eye was the pq of the SIM2 projector! Wow nga ang reaction. Di ko nakalimutan yun.

... Kaya ako natatakot pumasok ng AVDI, hehehe

Congratulations again, Mark! This is definitely a must-see upgrade.  ;) ;) :D :D :D

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #2887 on: Sep 12, 2012 at 06:27 AM »
Napansin mo ba yung treatments nila, sayang maganda materials but poorly constructed :D sana ako ang kinuha ;D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2888 on: Sep 12, 2012 at 06:52 AM »
Napansin mo ba yung treatments nila, sayang maganda materials but poorly constructed :D sana ako ang kinuha ;D

Kilala yata natin Ang supplier ng acoustics.  ;D

Maganda nga but it took Hansen a very long time to fine-tune kaya kailangan mo pa rin ng marunong sa acoustics.

Offline ciotime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2889 on: Sep 12, 2012 at 10:22 AM »
Congrats on the new toy....yep Sim2 might not be a mainstream brand name but among Home Theater enthusiasts its one of the best named PJs around. Wasn't expecting you'd be getting this PJ coz if Im not mistaken its not new in the market right? I think its been available since early 2010? I thought it'd be a new model PJ but still a great pickup nonetheless.

Offline ryn0128

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2890 on: Sep 13, 2012 at 12:04 PM »
Congrats Sir Mark! Wooooow!

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
Re: SIM2 Grand Cinema Mico 50
« Reply #2891 on: Sep 13, 2012 at 12:30 PM »
This explains the big leaps in your upgrades.

One of my overriding philosophies in this Audio-Video hobby is that whatever upgrade I have must be so good that you have to be blind not to see the improved picture or deaf to not hear the better audio.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2892 on: Sep 13, 2012 at 07:09 PM »
Congrats on the new toy....yep Sim2 might not be a mainstream brand name but among Home Theater enthusiasts its one of the best named PJs around. Wasn't expecting you'd be getting this PJ coz if Im not mistaken its not new in the market right? I think its been available since early 2010? I thought it'd be a new model PJ but still a great pickup nonetheless.

If I believed the VPL-VW 1000 (which came out this year) was better for me, I would have bought it. For my needs, this SIM2 model is better.

Offline shuttertrigger

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 657
« Reply #2893 on: Sep 13, 2012 at 10:19 PM »
Congrats sir Mark!  ;)
Hey, that's my bike!

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #2894 on: Sep 14, 2012 at 08:32 AM »
nice one sir mark

congrats
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #2895 on: Sep 14, 2012 at 08:58 AM »
Awesome new toy Sir Mark! Congrats!  :)

Offline qwerty_88

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2896 on: Sep 14, 2012 at 05:07 PM »
Congrats Sir Mark!
AVDI Showroom
Level 4, Shangri-La Plaza Mall (Main Wing), Mandaluyong City
0917 710 2191
8638 8480

Offline den1224

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2897 on: Sep 14, 2012 at 05:37 PM »
Congrats Mark! :)

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #2898 on: Sep 14, 2012 at 06:07 PM »
Congratulations on the new acquisition Sir!

What an early Christmas present.  I wonder what will top this ;D

Great, great review too.

Cheers!!!!!
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2899 on: Sep 16, 2012 at 03:51 PM »
Super linaw pala talaga ng SIM2 sir Mark. Aside dun sa picture-perfect na colors, blackness & brightness, I compared it last night when I watched the Celine Dion concert yung mga audience sa malayo hindi na ganun ka-sharp sa AE7000 tho' expected ko na din naman yan. Sabi nga ni Nelson para kaming nakakita ng 130" na plasma panel.
Hindi pa ba 4K yang pj mo? Considering the size of your screen, parang upscaled na 4K na yung napanood namin.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2900 on: Sep 16, 2012 at 04:38 PM »
Super linaw pala talaga ng SIM2 sir Mark. Aside dun sa picture-perfect na colors, blackness & brightness, I compared it last night when I watched the Celine Dion concert yung mga audience sa malayo hindi na ganun ka-sharp sa AE7000 tho' expected ko na din naman yan. Sabi nga ni Nelson para kaming nakakita ng 130" na plasma panel.
Hindi pa ba 4K yang pj mo? Considering the size of your screen, parang upscaled na 4K na yung napanood namin.

Hi Luther! Thanks for dropping by kahapon with Nelson and Paul. You know that I always value your objective observations.

Nearly all projectors can produce a very good image of a close-up. It's much more difficult to have the same sharpness for a picture with a lot of people. That's one of the strengths of the SIM2 Mico. I think it's hard to pinpoint exactly how the pq is attained but I think it's a combination of the many good qualities of the pj, including its optics. Maganda ang lens niya.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #2901 on: Sep 16, 2012 at 04:43 PM »

Yeah.

Thanks sir Mark for letting us view your PJ. Your previous PJ was really a magandang PJ. I was expecting a better PJ but this new one is like a new 130" LCD flat panel wall mounted sa front wall mo. Parang hindi PJ. Malaking upgrade sa PJ technology using the LED light and congrats on being the first one to own here at PDvd. A notch higher na naman ang reference PJ ko. Next viewing, dapat may flat 16 hz na very audible.  ;D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2902 on: Sep 16, 2012 at 06:03 PM »
Next viewing, dapat may flat 16 hz na very audible.  ;D

Hehe. Nice project. Tingnan natin kung magaya ko ang kwarto ni Jake. Yun ang tunay na reference sa massage effect.  ;D

Offline Billabong

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2903 on: Sep 16, 2012 at 11:07 PM »
Thanks a lot sir Mark for accommodating us yesterday. :)

As always, very immersive manood sa HT mo. Ibang level yung detail, brightness and refinement ng new projector mo. We just watched a movie sa digital cinema ng Eastwood. Napansin namin ni Lian na malayong malayo yung PQ compared dun sayo. Di hamak na mas maganda yung picture ng Sim2 by a mile.

Quad 18" subs ang bagay sa HT mo IMO. Pag hindi pa mag-massage effect yan ewan ko na. Pero sana okay na din ang sextuple subs! ;D

Although nung ginawa mong +3db hot yung subs mas ramdam na. Nakaka tense manuod nung War of the Worlds and Super 8.

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #2904 on: Sep 20, 2012 at 01:35 PM »
Sir Mark congrats sa inyong bagong PJ!

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #2905 on: Sep 23, 2012 at 07:48 AM »
wala pang pic yung 4 x 4 ?

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #2906 on: Sep 23, 2012 at 08:05 AM »
wala pang pic yung 4 x 4 ?
ako na-iimagine ko na eh ;D

bro streetsmart, still using 15hz cutoff on all 4 subs?  di ba newer PB13 ultras have higher than 10hz config, di ka ba nahirapan integrate yung 2 bagong subs?
ninjababez online ..

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #2907 on: Sep 23, 2012 at 08:25 AM »
ako na-iimagine ko na eh ;D

bro streetsmart, still using 15hz cutoff on all 4 subs?  di ba newer PB13 ultras have higher than 10hz config, di ka ba nahirapan integrate yung 2 bagong subs?

Dumating na...?!!!

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #2908 on: Sep 23, 2012 at 08:32 AM »
Dumating na...?!!!
ay di ko alam bro DMF.  ang alam ko lang may nabasa ako sa SVS thread na 4x PB13ultra na sya  :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2909 on: Sep 23, 2012 at 06:15 PM »
Here's a better shot of the Sim2 Mico 50 projector:

I've been experimenting a lot with the projector and the pq has improved even more.