Author Topic: My dream theater  (Read 402818 times)

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Wow! Two more Ultras!!! :o Conrats sir Mark! :)

Sir Mark, have to tried watching Underworld Awakening on your new set-up? Advance to the 60th minute of the film and watch it from there til the end. Rest assured, you will feel the "massage effect" you're looking for. ;)

Salamat sa tip. Hanapin ko Ito.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline mike c

• Trade Count: (+154)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
D ko maintindihan Ito. AFAIK, the old and new subs have the same tuning options - 10, 16, 20 and sealed. I use 16 Hz.

the bash has 10, 15, 20 and sealed
the sledge has 16, 20 and sealed

the 15 and 16 has minimal difference in the low end output.  (the sledge has a bit more output at certain frequencies)

the 10 was removed because unless one was using each of the subs at low volumes, the port would chuff.
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline smt

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
WOW!!! 

Offline ryn0128

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: My dream theater - SIM2 Grand Cinema Mico 50 projector review
« Reply #2943 on: Sep 24, 2012 at 11:43 AM »
Here are the 4 SVS PB-13 Ultras, behind the Focal Utopias:

These SVS Ultras are pretty huge but when they are placed behind the Focal Utopias, they look quite small.

I moved the 2 x Paradigm Servo-15 subs to the back of the room while the 4 SVS subs were in the front. I have long wanted to do this but it's a pretty back-breaking effort so it's been delayed up to now. Placing the 2 subs at the back helps to flatten the frequency response of all the subs combined. This is based on theory, on the readings I took with the Audyssey Pro equipment and by ear as well.

The integration and calibration of the 6 subs together was not that difficult. The 2 subs in the rear act as one and the 4 subs in front act as one. All the individual subs were set at around 66 to 67 db at the main listening position, which provided a summed total of around 75 db. This meant that volume levels were balanced.

The distances of the front and the rear subs are not exactly the same to the main listening position but I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter that much. Given the long wavelengths of the bass frequencies, it seems that slight differences don't matter. This is also the view of many well-respected audio professionals.

My main objective in getting 2 more Ultras was to experience a similar "massage" effect as in the HT of Jazzy Jake. My initial report is that my HT still pales in comparison to Jake's, at least in the massage effect.  ;D

Nonetheless, there's been a massive improvement so maybe, I'm a bit closer now to the "massage" of Gaol and Pchin.  ;D

Sir mark, just curious....is 85db your reference level? Kboom!

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
the bash has 10, 15, 20 and sealed
the sledge has 16, 20 and sealed

the 15 and 16 has minimal difference in the low end output.  (the sledge has a bit more output at certain frequencies)

the 10 was removed because unless one was using each of the subs at low volumes, the port would chuff.

Thanks for the clarification. I recall that I once tried the 10 Hz tuning and the result wasn't very good so I never used it henceforth. I've always used the 15/16 Hz tuning.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2945 on: Sep 24, 2012 at 11:56 AM »
Sir mark, just curious....is 85db your reference level? Kboom!

The LFE channel is supposed to have a maximum output of 115 db. All other channels have a max of 105 db. Furthermore, the speakers are supposed to be equally calibrated to a level of 85 db, at -20 dbfs, iirc. However, 85 db is too loud for most people so that AVR manufacturers instead use 75 db and then add 10 db afterwards. Thus, the subs are calibrated to 75 db to match them with the other speakers but their max volume is 115 db at reference level, which is really loud. It's very scary to listen at reference level. You might break your speakers or amps or, even worse, your ears.

Offline ryn0128

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
The LFE channel is supposed to have a maximum output of 115 db. All other channels have a max of 105 db. Furthermore, the speakers are supposed to be equally calibrated to a level of 85 db, at -20 dbfs, iirc. However, 85 db is too loud for most people so that AVR manufacturers instead use 75 db and then add 10 db afterwards. Thus, the subs are calibrated to 75 db to match them with the other speakers but their max volume is 115 db at reference level, which is really loud. It's very scary to listen at reference level. You might break your speakers or amps or, even worse, your ears.

I totally agree. Hope to listen to your gears soon.  Congrats again for the nice additions.

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Salamat sa tip. Hanapin ko Ito.

Yes sir Mark, highly recommended. For sure, this will be your new demo scene to showcase the sound of your HT system. ;)

Let me know... 8)

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #2948 on: Sep 24, 2012 at 06:00 PM »
It's very scary to listen at reference level. You might break your speakers or amps or, even worse, your ears.

sir mark for a few times i tried listening to reference level ang ganda pakinggan pero without me knowing it, nasunog ko pala yung tweeter nung isang front speaker buti na lang may stock si Audioworld ng tweeter for RS6 kaya napalitan din ng same type and specs

since then di ko na inulit mag reference level, yung Blueman group na concert ang ginamit kung material yung dinemo mo nung Xmas EB last year
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2949 on: Sep 24, 2012 at 06:45 PM »
sir mark for a few times i tried listening to reference level ang ganda pakinggan pero without me knowing it, nasunog ko pala yung tweeter nung isang front speaker buti na lang may stock si Audioworld ng tweeter for RS6 kaya napalitan din ng same type and specs

since then di ko na inulit mag reference level, yung Blueman group na concert ang ginamit kung material yung dinemo mo nung Xmas EB last year

Don't worry. Makikinig tayo ng reference level sa Xmas EB.  ;D

Offline ryn0128

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
While one subwoofer may produce enough bass for an average sized room, adding additional subwoofers can reduce the occurrence of room resonances and improve the overall quality of bass throughout the room. It's not about adding more bass, it's about improving bass quality and distributing it more evenly throughout the room.

Two, three or even four properly positioned subwoofers can effectively cancel some room resonances and distribute bass more uniformly in the room, improving bass in multiple listening positions.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #2951 on: Sep 24, 2012 at 07:52 PM »

Ayun oh! @ 85 db kailangan sir habang umaawit kami ni Tirso.  :D

Offline ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 13 x 3 = 1 O O !!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
Hi Jake! Alam mo naman na ang room mo ay ang aking inspirasyon. Lakas ng massage.  ;D

The mid-bass of my room is very good, primarily because of the Focal Utopias, as well as the numerous bass traps.

ahem... i can not fathom how that could be...  i am certain though that my room is not over 1/4 your room size.  in that case i'd like to think that the acoustics (and maybe placement) maybe things you'd need to revisit.

pero 4 ultra's and 2 digms?  man o man!

this would be a good thing to fix with mike c.
˙ ˙ ˙ ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
ahem... i can not fathom how that could be...  i am certain though that my room is not over 1/4 your room size.  in that case i'd like to think that the acoustics (and maybe placement) maybe things you'd need to revisit.

pero 4 ultra's and 2 digms?  man o man!

this would be a good thing to fix with mike c.

I think your room is around 1000 cu ft while mine is 6000 cu ft. That's the main difference. You need a lot more subs in the bigger room in order to have the same massage effect.

I've carefully observed this in the rooms of Pchin, gaol and billabong, all of whom have the same subs as you - 2 x SVS PB12. The bigger the room, the weaker the massage effect (although malakas daw ngayon massage ni billabong so I have to check out what he did).

Nice kulam try, btw.  ;D

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
HUWAW!!

Chalap panoorin ni Debbie dyan senor!

« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2012 at 09:46 PM by frootloops »

Offline mike c

• Trade Count: (+154)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
I think your room is around 1000 cu ft while mine is 6000 cu ft. That's the main difference. You need a lot more subs in the bigger room in order to have the same massage effect.

I've carefully observed this in the rooms of Pchin, gaol and billabong, all of whom have the same subs as you - 2 x SVS PB12. The bigger the room, the weaker the massage effect (although malakas daw ngayon massage ni billabong so I have to check out what he did).

Nice kulam try, btw.  ;D

IF 2 PB12NSD = 1 PB13Ultra
1000 cubic foot room = 2 PB12NSD

therefore
6000 cubic foot room = 6 PB13Ultra

8)

sa harap pa lang yun ha.

may stock pa ako sir mark.
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2012 at 09:48 PM by mike c »
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
IF 2 PB12NSD = 1 PB13Ultra
1000 cubic foot room = 2 PB12NSD

therefore
6000 cubic foot room = 6 PB13Ultra

8)

sa harap pa lang yun ha.

may stock pa ako sir mark.

Hehe. Yes, I've done that math too but the Paradigm subs are just as powerful as the Ultras, except that they go down to only 20 Hz while the Ultras go down to 15/16 Hz. I think the subs are fine for now.  :)

Offline ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 13 x 3 = 1 O O !!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
Hehe. Yes, I've done that math too but the Paradigm subs are just as powerful as the Ultras, except that they go down to only 20 Hz while the Ultras go down to 15/16 Hz. I think the subs are fine for now.  :)

eto yun eh...  hmmm... so siguro in another 3 months... malamang may upgrade ulit...   >:D
˙ ˙ ˙ ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
eto yun eh...  hmmm... so siguro in another 3 months... malamang may upgrade ulit...   >:D

Sinabi ko na nga ba na kakagat ang mangkukulam sa pain.  ;D

Kapag naglabas ang SVS ng sub na umaabot sa 10 Hz, baka pwedeng pag-isipan ng upgrade.

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Just curious, how did you hook up all six subs to your pre-amp/processor? 2 sub outputs and multiple Y connectors, tama ba?

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Just curious, how did you hook up all six subs to your pre-amp/processor? 2 sub outputs and multiple Y connectors, tama ba?

One sub out and 5 Y connectors.  There are several technical reasons why Ayoko gumamit ng 2 sub outs.

Offline tein

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sound and Vision Home Entertainment 0917-5160808
  • Liked:
Wow monster subs!!  :o

Offline shuttertrigger

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 657
« Reply #2962 on: Sep 25, 2012 at 07:44 PM »

::) ::) ::)

Merry Christmas sir Mark! And congrats again sa addition ng gears!  ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2012 at 07:53 PM by HEBREW »
Hey, that's my bike!

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
2 huge upgrades in a year! major-major!!!  :o
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
Congrats Mark! Something to look forward to sa susunod na Xmas EB ;D
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4

Wow that's a very major-major upgrade....congrat Mark!  ;)

This year Xmas EB will be a BLAST!!  8)

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
Wala pa ang Nov Hifi Show nyan  ;D

Offline R

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • I love boobies
  • Liked:
Basta if you see somebody walking out of Dusit Hotel while having a huge cargo haul behind him, kilala niyo na :D
Probably dropped a studio condo-equivalent amount on audio gears #theaudiojourneycontinues

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 975
Been reading this thread for quite a while now and the last few updates like the gigantic Focals and the 6 pressure cannons from SVS/Paradigm simply elevates this HT system to the stuff that dreams are made of category. 

I admire your passion Mark. Congratulations.
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
This would definitely be a treat this coming XMAS EB!  ;)