Author Topic: My dream theater  (Read 402588 times)

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
Re: My dream theater (March 08 upgrade)
« Reply #300 on: Mar 18, 2008 at 08:27 PM »
Sir pasensya ka na,BAKA lang naman makalusot ;) BEEFruin mo kung matuloy yung BAKA dahil kasasawsaw este kakakanchaw eh di hindi na BAKA yon kasi sigurado na ;D LECHON on the bright side,kung matutuloy yung Baka, sure ko madami ka mapapaligaya ;) ;D Maki-BAKA, wag matakot, maki-BAKA, wag matakot ;D ;D ;D

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #301 on: Mar 19, 2008 at 11:03 AM »
BAKAsyon muna ako. See ya guys on April 5 kila Munskie.  ;D ;D
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline gearhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #302 on: Mar 19, 2008 at 02:07 PM »
directions ulit diyan, baka makapunta ulit.  ;) makikita ko na naman ang mga fafi na amfofogi. haha. pero siyempre mas pogi ang mga gears.  ;D

my contrib, para di OT. in general, mas better to set the AVR to LFE only. it was what the sound designer intended it to be. but since different materials were mixed differently, you could also try the LFE+main option kung di talaga lumalabas ang lows. with both, mas preferable if the L/R speakers are at least 6.5".

now if the fronts have small diameter drivers, you can set the fronts to "Small" and adjust crossover accordingly. 80/90hz is a good compromise x'over for movies. 100/120hz is good for concerts naman. for larger drivers, you can try 60hz for fronts.

daming choices, ano? kaya kung minsan ok na din yung fixed x'over lang like 90hz for yamaha and 80/100hz for marantz. pero siyempre, if you want the most from your system, the more flexible the better, with one CAVEAT: "know what you're doing". otherwise, you'll end up worse than those with simple boxes.
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #303 on: Apr 06, 2008 at 07:42 PM »
Rather than creating a new thread, I thought it would be simpler to post these pictures here. Hope the mods are ok with this

Yesterday, I visited the HT of my friend in Sta. Rosa with some Pinoydvd members. We also met up with the technicians of AV Driver, who installed a video processor and a PS3.

From left to right: Bert (the acoustic treatment contractor of AV Driver), Perry (my friend, owner of the HT), Carlo (@the blue), me, Rey (@wallyraider), John (the chief tech of AV Driver, ISF and THX-certified) and Alvin (@alvinthx2). Sarap ng wine ni Perry.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #304 on: Apr 06, 2008 at 07:43 PM »
A brief description of the equipment:

Projector: Sony VPL-VW60
Screen: 106” Da-Lite matte white
Speakers: 7.1 system of JMLab
AVR: Denon 2808
Video Processor: DVDO IScan VP50Pro
BD Player: PS3
SD Player: Denon 2910

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #305 on: Apr 06, 2008 at 07:44 PM »
A brief description of the acoustic treatment:

Absorbers on front and side walls. Diffusers on rear. Absorbers on apex of ceiling. Diffusers on rest of ceiling. Fiberglass also installed on kisame so as to reduce noise from rain. Plus black-out shades for windows.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #306 on: Apr 06, 2008 at 07:44 PM »
Our Pinoydvd group arrived ahead of the AV Driver people. At this time, wala pa ang video processor and PS3.

We watched some SD material and then re-installed Audyssey – BIG improvement in audio clarity and seamlessness of surround. The problem was the pq – lots of pixelation and jaggies. Even contrast ratio wasn’t great.

After the VP50Pro and PS3 were installed, there was a HUGE improvement in pq, including for SD material. In fact, people sometimes thought that the SD pic was BD. SD was that good. PQ still needs some tweaking and the AV Driver guys will return to do that but even without the final calibration, pq was excellent!

I thought that the AV Driver guys did an excellent job because the room is very challenging. Its an attic so the ceiling is a sloped roof. Also, there are a lot of windows. As you can see, they did a lot of innovative treatment and the acoustics, to me, were perfect. As I would describe it, nawawala ang mga speakers. Seamless surround. Malinis.

The group felt that the weak link was probably the amplifier. Sobra ganda ng tunog but at high levels, medyo matining. In fact, we couldn’t listen at reference levels. Masakit na sa tenga. Parang nahihirapan na ang Denon 2808. Also, maliit ang subwoofer – 10” driver lang. The sub can’t reproduce subsonic signals so you don’t feel the sofa shaking. Nawawala ang ambience na binibigay ng subsonics. Di rin siguro kaya ng sub ang required SPL level. E di next upgrades!

We all had a great time, especially with the hospitality of Perry and the presence of Alvin and John, 2 of the greatest AV technicians in the country. Pinakain at pinainom pa kami ni Perry. It was a great day and we all learned a lot!

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #307 on: Apr 06, 2008 at 09:32 PM »
Rather than creating a new thread, I thought it would be simpler to post these pictures here. Hope the mods are ok with this

Yesterday, I visited the HT of my friend in Sta. Rosa with some Pinoydvd members. We also met up with the technicians of AV Driver, who installed a video processor and a PS3.

From left to right: Bert (the acoustic treatment contractor of AV Driver), Perry (my friend, owner of the HT), Carlo (@the blue), me, Rey (@wallyraider), John (the chief tech of AV Driver, ISF and THX-certified) and Alvin (@alvinthx2). Sarap ng wine ni Perry.

ang gagwapo ah!!   Nice to know that there are solutions to any problems created by irregular room dimensions, although iba pa rin talaga ideal room dimensions.  Alvin asked me when he visited me last Friday, if nag improve and audio quality ng system ko (same speakers and equipments), I said " a lot!!"   We were one i saying that the improvements can be traced to the treatments and to the room.

But based on your review of your friend Perry's HT, there are solutions indeed to irregular room dimensions.   But it takes a lot of treatment to do it.   Thats where acoustic technicians come in very handy.

Very active sa mga EB ah, sir Mark.   You know where's next, nag-usap na tayo, hehehe, ikaw na bahala.   Just dont expect much, hehehe.    ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2008 at 09:33 PM by Munskie »

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #308 on: Apr 07, 2008 at 07:35 AM »
Very interesting nga kasi that room has such a bad shape and ang dami pa windows. Yet, the end result was fantastic.

Maganda rin ang performance ng pj and the JM Lab speakers. The DVDO performed well but of course, we knew that before hand.

Sige, the next EB will be a mini-grand one in the city of Angels.  ;D ;D

Offline theblue

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #309 on: Apr 11, 2008 at 11:40 AM »
The EB last time was a great experience both for me and for my buddy (Wallyraider) who's also starting the hobby. He was very impressed with how "high-end" the equipments are. Dumaan din kami sa theater room ni sir mark para makita nya.  nagsisimula palang tinatamaan narin ng SARS! Hahaha!

The DVDO was proven to be of very great help to improve the picture and video quality. Even DVD movies are starting to par with blu-ray. Of course the best parin ang blu-ray and DVDO.

Till next time sir! and Thanks.
Denon 1912 + Yamaha NS-777, Dynaudio Audience 40, HTPC i7 7700k, 24GB, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti, LG 4K

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #310 on: May 02, 2008 at 02:07 PM »
Hi sir mark,

Tried to replicate the LFE I heard fr. the dancing Mei scene in HOFD di ko makuha. I can feel the bass have no problem w/ that but when the bean flies fr. F-R to L-S channel meron gap yung reverberation na nakukuha ko di kagaya sa Servo-15 mo na continuous . . . galing! Sa Master & Commander naman dun sa scene na we heard footsteps sa upper deck during the sea battle I can hear & feel it problem is its not high enough. Its like mines coming fr. 6ft above listening position and yours twice as high. Maybe its bec. of the high ceiling, SMS-1 & Servo-15 combined that we get a distinct localization when viewed in your HT. Very good.  ;)

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #311 on: May 02, 2008 at 09:36 PM »
Hi sir mark,

Tried to replicate the LFE I heard fr. the dancing Mei scene in HOFD di ko makuha. I can feel the bass have no problem w/ that but when the bean flies fr. F-R to L-S channel meron gap yung reverberation na nakukuha ko di kagaya sa Servo-15 mo na continuous . . . galing! Sa Master & Commander naman dun sa scene na we heard footsteps sa upper deck during the sea battle I can hear & feel it problem is its not high enough. Its like mines coming fr. 6ft above listening position and yours twice as high. Maybe its bec. of the high ceiling, SMS-1 & Servo-15 combined that we get a distinct localization when viewed in your HT. Very good.  ;)

Luther,

Sa House of Flying Daggers, magaling talaga ang Paradigm Servo-15. But for music, mas maganda ang Velo HGS-15. Ngayon na naayos na ang Velo, mas maganda pa ang kombinasyon nila. Pero gusto ko talaga gayahin ang ginawa ni Munskie - DIY bass traps. Kapag nagawa ko na yun at may improvement, pwede tayo makinig uli.  ;D

I suspect that the main reason is the size of the HT. Ang experience mo is what I felt din sa HT ni Munskie and my friend sa Sta Rosa - parang mababa ang upper deck sa Master & Commander. With a bigger HT, natural na nagiging mas malawak ang soundstage. Pero marami rin ang problema ng big HT, among them the need for big subs and a big electricity bill.

Offline Dingdong Amandy

• Collector
  • isang HT and Audio lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #312 on: May 03, 2008 at 01:26 PM »
nice pics and setup
http://dcph.info/v2008/

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #313 on: May 03, 2008 at 02:24 PM »
yep mas magastos lang nga talaga big HT.

uy! gawa na Velo-15 cge sir sked na lang uli pag gawa na bass traps.

Offline kefq

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • DVD Guru
  • Ethical Hacker
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #314 on: May 11, 2008 at 10:11 AM »
Mark thank you for yesterdays' session. It was a whole new experience for me especially the Audyssey, huge improvement.  :)

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #315 on: May 11, 2008 at 02:36 PM »
Mark thank you for yesterdays' session. It was a whole new experience for me especially the Audyssey, huge improvement.  :)

Any time, Dex! Neighbors naman tayo. Next time, as you suggested, dalawin ko naman place nyo.  :)

Offline ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 13 x 3 = 1 O O !!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #316 on: May 11, 2008 at 04:34 PM »
you must be in heaven sir streetsmart!  awesome!
˙ ˙ ˙ ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #317 on: May 11, 2008 at 06:30 PM »
you must be in heaven sir streetsmart!  awesome!

Trouble is that there is always something you can do to improve your system. Like many guys here, I always have a few small projects cooking!  :)

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #318 on: May 11, 2008 at 10:49 PM »
kefq! bakit hindi mo ko niyaya? pumunta ka pala sa home ni sir streetsmart!  :( ;D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008 at 10:49 PM by flak-jacket »

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #319 on: May 12, 2008 at 07:05 AM »
kefq! bakit hindi mo ko niyaya? pumunta ka pala sa home ni sir streetsmart!  :( ;D

Hehe. Neighbor ka rin ba? Sabihin mo na lang kay Dex invite ka next time. No problem.  :)

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #320 on: May 12, 2008 at 07:14 AM »
Hehe. Neighbor ka rin ba? Sabihin mo na lang kay Dex invite ka next time. No problem.  :)

hehe no sir. medyo malayo ang place ko, pero nakapunta na din si kefq dun.  ;D :D

thanks  :)

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #321 on: May 12, 2008 at 08:10 AM »
Cant wait to see your DIY bass trap Mark.... ;)

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #322 on: May 12, 2008 at 09:35 AM »
Cant wait to see your DIY bass trap Mark.... ;)

Hehe. Nanganganak, e. Dumadami sila. Kausapin ko muna si Alvin bago ko finalize. I have most of the materials na.

Offline wickedmonicker

• Collector
  • Mrs Tom Welling
  • Liked:
« Reply #323 on: May 15, 2008 at 09:24 AM »
WOW... you're one of the best "story tellers" ive ever read online! your HT Room is fantastic I love it! You should have a blog man.. i'd read it hehehe
App-aholic!!!

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #324 on: May 16, 2008 at 09:35 AM »
WOW... you're one of the best "story tellers" ive ever read online! your HT Room is fantastic I love it! You should have a blog man.. i'd read it hehehe

Thanks. Did I mention that when I was in grade school, I won a story-telling contest? You are given the title of a story and in 5 minutes, you need to invent the story and narrate it, complete with action.  ;D

I guess that a big part of the fun in this hobby is the story of how you slowly try to improve your HT. And it is equally fun to articulate that story and share it with like-minded HT freaks.  :)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #325 on: May 16, 2008 at 11:31 AM »
your set-up is great sir streetsmart! pati yung sa friend mo, galing! drool inducer...  ;D ;D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #326 on: May 18, 2008 at 01:57 PM »
your set-up is great sir streetsmart! pati yung sa friend mo, galing! drool inducer...  ;D ;D

Thanks. This hobby is a good incentive to work hard and earn more money! Of course, when you are able to tweak without spending too much money, that is the best of all.  :)

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #327 on: May 19, 2008 at 07:46 AM »
I thought it would be interesting to share a small tweak.

My LCR speakers are very big and can go below 40 hz. Nevertheless, on my Denon AVR, I set them as "Small." For Onkyo, that would mean not "Full Band." There are many reasons for doing this, among them:

1. Subwoofers can normally go much lower than even big floorstanders. In my case, I have 2 subs which can go below 20 hz.
2. The bass frequencies put a lot of stress on the amps for your LCR speakers. Transferring this load to the sub(s) will give more headroom to the LCR amps and minimize clipping.

In addition to these, it turns out that in the case of AVR's which have Audyssey room correction, there is another important reason. Audyssey applies 8x more filters for the sub, as compared to the other speakers! Applying this even further, I raised the crossover of my LCR and surround speakers from 60 hz to 80 hz. This means that the subs and Audyssey would now be handling the 60 to 80 hz region. I watched a familiar concert with the new setting and the bass was more accurate and distinct. To my ears, it is a big difference.

There is a limit to this. If you raise the crossover to 100 hz and above, those are frequencies which are "localizable." You will detect them as coming from the sub. Therefore, the practical limit seems to be 80 hz, which will cover roughly the lower half of bass guitars and the lowest octaves of the tuba, trombone and bass vocals. Even the frequencies of kettle drums are barely touched at 80 hz. When you think of it, there doesn't seem to be a lot of information at 80 hz and below but in fact, that information is vital for both music and movies.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #328 on: May 19, 2008 at 07:53 AM »
I thought it would be interesting to share a small tweak.

My LCR speakers are very big and can go below 40 hz. Nevertheless, on my Denon AVR, I set them as "Small." For Onkyo, that would mean not "Full Band." There are many reasons for doing this, among them:

1. Subwoofers can normally go much lower than even big floorstanders. In my case, I have 2 subs which can go below 20 hz.
2. The bass frequencies put a lot of stress on the amps for your LCR speakers. Transferring this load to the sub(s) will give more headroom to the LCR amps and minimize clipping.

In addition to these, it turns out that in the case of AVR's which have Audyssey room correction, there is another important reason. Audyssey applies 8x more filters for the sub, as compared to the other speakers! Applying this even further, I raised the crossover of my LCR and surround speakers from 60 hz to 80 hz. This means that the subs and Audyssey would now be handling the 60 to 80 hz region. I watched a familiar concert with the new setting and the bass was more accurate and distinct. To my ears, it is a big difference.

There is a limit to this. If you raise the crossover to 100 hz and above, those are frequencies which are "localizable." You will detect them as coming from the sub. Therefore, the practical limit seems to be 80 hz, which will cover roughly the lower half of bass guitars and the lowest octaves of the tuba, trombone and bass vocals. Even the frequencies of kettle drums are barely touched at 80 hz. When you think of it, there doesn't seem to be a lot of information at 80 hz and below but in fact, that information is vital for both music and movies.
Good point.  THX standard is also set at 80hz.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #329 on: May 19, 2008 at 09:50 AM »
Good point.  THX standard is also set at 80hz.

Yes. 80 hz was not an arbitrary number.