Author Topic: Paramount and Dreamworks to Exclusively Support HD DVD!  (Read 21185 times)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Paramount and Dreamworks to Exclusively Support HD DVD!
« Reply #60 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 08:17 AM »

Resist supporting an inferior technology for one or two movies, and enjoy the countless classics currently on and coming soon to Blu-ray. The best Hollywood studios, most respected producers and directors, and even Paramount's own engineering staff prefer Blu-ray over HD DVD. They all have voices, and not even $150B will be enough to silence them all.

Source

It is statements like this that totally throw out the window the little credibility left for that article.  If there's one format that has inferior technology, it's BR as it doesn't have interactive PiP features until the BDJ1.1 comes out late this year and that no current standalone player will even support it, making them all obsolete.  And let's not forget that Paramount was initially HD DVD exclusive and while I never thought about it, this time I have to ask if Sony didn't bribe Paramount to go neutral. 
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2007 at 02:00 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 08:19 AM »
Update from the Paramount Fall out

OK, here it is. As far as the Spielberg situation goes, it is true that any of his movies on Paramount:

Indiana Jones Trilogy
Saving Private Ryan
War of the Worlds

If released in the next 12 months will be on Blu-ray exclusively or dual-format. She has worked directly with the Spielberg camp for some time now and she has the understanding that Spielberg has the same agreement with his titles on Universal. So this means that when the following films are released in HDM, they will be on both formats if this agreement holds:

ET
Jurassic Park
Jaws

Now on to the suprising part of the phone call. She mentioned that several Directors, including Michael Bay, Francis Ford Coppola and even James Cameron have voiced their frustration to Paramount with this decision. She said she would not be surprised to see similar agreements reached with Coppola and Cameron as what has been reached with Spielberg.

Does this mean if The Godfather Trilogy and Titanic are released on HDM they will be on both formats? I do not know, but it seems like these Directors are going to put-up a fight.

She also mentioned that today they are getting more complaint calls from talent, producers and executives then yesterday. She said it is a madhouse right now. She also mentioned they recieved thousands of emails from Paramount customers over the past 24 hours voicing their displeasure for this decision.

That is all I have for now. I am going to leave her be for a few days as I can tell she is VERY busy. I may contact her again on Friday.

It will be very intersting to see how all of this falls out. I am starting to have my doubts that Paramount will be HD-DVD exclusive for a year IMO.

~Josh

I guess we can expect a similar reply here...

Such is the life of a rumor reporter...he's not always going to get it right. If that bothers you, probably best to not read his stuff. But some of us like to see it, so if you please...

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 08:22 AM »
Originally Posted by Michael Bay @ shootfortheedit.com/forums
Last night at dinner I was having dinner with three blu-ray owners, they were pissed about no Transformers Blu-ray and I drank the kool aid hook line and sinker. So at 1:30 in the morning I posted - nothing good ever comes out of early am posts mind you - I over reacted. I heard where Paramount is coming from and the future of HD and players that will be close to the $200 mark which is the magic number. I like what I heard.

As a director, I'm all about people seeing films in the best quality possible, and I saw and heard firsthand people upset about a corporate decision.

So today I saw 300 on HD, it rocks!

So I think I might be back on to do Transformers 2!

Michael Bay

http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2304

Alas, the good news was short lived. ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2007 at 08:27 AM by kings5504 »
The war is over...  Now bring on the classics on HD!

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 08:23 AM »
The big propaganda machine from the BD camp just keeps on rolling after the Paramount announcement.   I just cant believe they would refer to HD DVD as inferior technology when it has offered interactive menu system from the start, has the PIP features like IME and U-Control...and was the first to offer web-enabled features.  Blu-ray is just catching up with those features just now...a good year and a half behind.  And  Blu-ray's 2-1 advantage in disc sales should have been more than that...like 4-1 or even 6-1 due to the "PS3 effect".   And now comes the counter punch (or bribe of the year depending on which side you are on) that shocked the whole highdef media industry.  The big bully just got sucker punched from the thin man who was pummeled all year.  The thin man has got the steroids.....at least for the next 18 months... ;D ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 08:28 AM »
It is statements like this that totally throw out the window the little credibility left for that article.  If there's one format that has inferior technology, it's BR as it doesn't have interactive PiP features until the BDJ1.1 comes out late this year and that no current standalone player will even support it, making them all obsolete.  And let's not forget that Paramount was initially HD DVD exclusive and while I never thought about it, this time I have to ask if Sony didn't bribe Paramount to go to neutral. 
sounds more like a whining fanboy to me......

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 08:36 AM »
a funny encounter over the avsforum

I hate what is happening. I cancelled all my paramount orders SD and HD.
I will definitely ignore their releases. They should be ashamed.

someone replied..

I'm confused...didn't Paramount/Dreamworks cancel your blu-ray orders for you? Just grab a HD-DVD player and you can still pre-order those HD movies.

;D ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2007 at 08:36 AM by Munskie »

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 08:42 AM »
It was funny reading the AVS and High Def Digest forums after this news broke yesterday. Lots of laughs to be had. My favorite post from the AVS forum (a response to someone who posted a rant from thedigitalbits.com's Bill Hunt yesterday):

Mods, just kindly delete this post if Picard is too vulgar for this board...  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2007 at 08:46 AM by kings5504 »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #67 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 08:44 AM »
It is statements like this that totally throw out the window the little credibility left for that article.  If there's one format that has inferior technology, it's BR as it doesn't have interactive PiP features until the BDJ1.1 comes out late this year and that no current standalone player will even support it, making them all obsolete.  And let's not forget that Paramount was initially HD DVD exclusive and while I never thought about it, this time I have to ask if Sony didn't bribe Paramount to go to neutral. 

Bingo! You've hit a nail right into their heads!!  :D

Yeah Marvin, the other guy is right...Paramount/Dreamworks are the ones that cancell the orders...yeah agree just go grab a HD DVD player pls & stop whinning like a sissy.... :P

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 08:45 AM »
Exclusive: Spielberg "Big Supporter" of Blu-ray, But Future High-Def Releases Uncertain

Confirming mounting speculation, we've got exclusive word this morning that Steven Spielberg is indeed "a big supporter" of Blu-ray, and that yesterday's carve out in the Paramount/DreamWorks HD DVD announcement was designed to allow the legendary director to release future titles on Blu-ray.

With many of his early blockbusters distributed by Universal Pictures ('E.T.,' 'Jurassic Park' and 'Jaws,' among them), it was once assumed that the combination of Steven Spielberg's classic titles and Universal's exclusive HD DVD support would be one of format's biggest weapons against rival Blu-ray, but a series of developments have led many to speculate that perhaps Spielberg himself has other ideas.

The first hint of trouble for HD DVD came back in February when the HD DVD promo group issued a public apology to Spielberg after listing several of his titles in a "Coming Soon" list that was apparently never approved by the director.

Then, just last month came news that the very first Spielberg high-def title -- a 30th anniversary edition of 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' -- would be released on Blu-ray, not HD DVD. (That release is due November 13, day and date with the standard-def DVD edition.)

Finally, yesterday's stunner of a Paramount/DreamWorks HD DVD exclusivity press release included a conspicuous one line carve-out, stating that Spielberg's DreamWorks films would be exempt from the terms of the HD DVD exclusivity arrangement, opening the door to the possible future release of more recent Spielberg blockbusters on Blu-ray.

So what's the deal? We put that question to the source for all things Spielberg -- his longtime spokesman and DreamWorks marketing exec Marvin Levy. Speaking exclusively with High-Def Digest, Levy confirmed Spielberg's active support of Blu-ray with the selection of 'Close Encounters' for his next-gen debut.

"It was important to Steven that if any of his films were to be released [first] on high-definition, that it would be a classic," said Levy. "Steven is big supporter of Blu-ray, and chose 'Close Encounters' to be the first of his films on either format."

Spielberg approved the new high-def transfer made for the film, and among the Blu-ray's supplements is a new introduction recorded by the director specifically for the release, as well as a storyboard comparison.

Levy further clarified the Paramount/DreamWorks press release, saying that "...his movies, like 'Saving Private Ryan' and 'War of the Worlds,' are not included in that deal. They are not exclusive to HD DVD, nor [are they] planned for that format at this time.'"

Levy went on emphasize that beyond 'Close Encounters,' Spielberg has no other films in the high-def pipeline on either format. "At this moment, there are no plans for something further [on either format]. Anything in the future will be decided on a title-by-title basis. There certainly won't be more titles in 2007."

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Steven_Spielberg/Industry_Forecasts/Exclusive:_Spielberg_Big_Supporter_of_Blu-ray,_But_Future_High-Def_Releases_Uncertain/878

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #69 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 08:46 AM »
So today I saw 300 on HD, it rocks! So I think I might be back on to do Transformers 2!
Michael Bay

Alas, the good news was short lived. ;D

Not at all my fren...for me it's another good news... ;)

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 08:52 AM »
To the whiners,

For what its worth, the Chief Technology Officer for Paramount was part of the group instrumental in the creation of HD DVD. Anyway both formats are still in niche status, especially here :)
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2007 at 08:52 AM by john5479 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 08:52 AM »
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608923&page=23

As was mentioned on AVS, it's approximately 12 months ago that Paramount went format neutral from HD DVD exclusivity. If that 12 months (contract?) was viewed by them as a trial (not a lot of releases during that time), then what we may be seeing now is simply they've made a decision and are now free of BR obligation. We don't have to make any presumption of cash being a necessary inducement at all.

Note the degree to which they are going -- not only are all pre-announced BD releases being cancelled (and I mean ALL), but they are not continuing production of previously released titles. Once the inventory of current Paramount BD titles are gone -- they're GONE! Simply subtract all Paramount titles from the BD release history -- their BD titles are exactly that -- HISTORY!

A major corporate decision has been made -- no way around it.

I agree with this post as AVforums.  This is not an action that will last only for 18 months which goes with the rumor about the bribe which is just that, a rumor.  So dream on BR whinners.  Don't feel bad, Paramount and Dreamworks are large but not that big to give HD DVD the Edge yet. Wait til Warner goes HD DVD exclusive.   But regardless, now we know which format lost a studio.  And two at that.  ;D

PS.  I guess you can now consider the Paramount/Dreamworks BR releases as OOP and collectibles.  ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2007 at 09:03 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
« Reply #72 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 09:03 AM »
I find blu-ray fanboys and the articles coming out regarding this paramount on all sites really funny...When blu-ray is way up there, they are laughing how hddvd should import their stuff to get the titles they want (Phrases like good luck importing etc etc). Now they are arguing they can do this. Secondly, they always say we have daydate releases not catalog which is what sells, who wants catalog, people want spiderman 3, Die hard 4 etc etc. Well to me bourne ultimatum was the best movie of the year (of course a matter of taste). So they dont care about catalog ha..Now they are concerned with speilberg movies. Thats catalog, it will not sell that well daw ha...Anyway like they always say Blu have sony, fox, mgm, lionsgate blah blah blah..They still have a lot of studios so they dont need to worry. Fox is coming with lots of titles anyway this 4th quarter..They should start worrying when warner goes hddvd exclusive ;D

Moral lesson: Dont count the eggs when its not hatched..
Like I say again and again the future is dual format players (I may be wrong, just my opinion). Samsung and Lg already started it. And I tell you guys what, samsung will lower their price to levels that are so affordable  so fast, it will be faster than a blink of the eye. Look at the Samsung 46 inch lcds here, you can get one already at 150, and thats the m81. What is sonys price 230..46 x series. Prices of samsung in america is way lower pa.

So to me it is no problem to get into hd market. You can get in with hddvd first with such low priced players and enjoy it now. If hddvd loses out the discs will still be playable. Get all excellent hddvd titles and by next year when the dual players are way lower, you can get one then for your blu-ray. Of course this is what I will do. Imagine 230 to 299 bucks ata now the A2 with 5 free movies. Pls correct me when Im wrong. Unless you want 1080p, it will cost more.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 09:15 AM »
..They should start worrying when warner goes hddvd exclusive ;D

I wont be surprised if Warner goes HD DVD exclusive........if we dont see the Matrix trilogy, Batman Begins and other Warner HD DVD exclusives in Blu-ray versions this year......speculations would surely swell about a big announcement.

Pero sabi nga ni sir Moks...

Moral lesson: Dont count the eggs when its not hatched..

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 09:22 AM »
I find blu-ray fanboys and the articles coming out regarding this paramount on all sites really funny...When blu-ray is way up there, they are laughing how hddvd should import their stuff to get the titles they want (Phrases like good luck importing etc etc). Now they are arguing they can do this.
  question sirs.....

I know importing in HD DVD is hassle free coz there is still no region locking...what about Blu-ray.....I know we're in the same region as Japan and US.....what about European BD releases?

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 09:35 AM »
If you own a US/japan/asian ps3 you can import within these territories (except china), Europe has a different region code i think. Not sure if there are any region free blu-ray titles though.
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2007 at 09:37 AM by john5479 »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 09:39 AM »
  ;D The Godfather Trilogy being Remastered! 

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/archi...ther_resto.php

Priming it up for a HD DVD release???  ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 09:40 AM »
If you own a US/japan/asian ps3 you can import within these territories (except china), Europe has a different region code i think. Not sure if there are any region free blu-ray titles though.
yeah.....its pretty vague to me too... ???

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 09:47 AM »
Notwithstanding the BD regioning, not all BD titles are region coded, check the regioning of BD titles here:

http://80.161.213.38:81/

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 10:22 AM »
I wont be surprised if Warner goes HD DVD exclusive........if we dont see the Matrix trilogy, Batman Begins and other Warner HD DVD exclusives in Blu-ray versions this year......speculations would surely swell about a big announcement.

Pero sabi nga ni sir Moks...

Batman Begins, Matrix Trilogy and other Warner HD DVD exclusives are coming out in the fourth quarter of this year as Warner is just waiting for BD profile 1.1 for the PiP feature to come out.  it's unlikely that Warner would go HD DVD exclusive (then again, stranger things can happen) as they already sell so much on both formats (and in the case of 300, the BD version outselling the HD verion despite the HD version's special features like PiP) so why limit themselves to half the market when they can have it all? ;)

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 10:24 AM »
I realized that some of you guys are able to get titles really early (like 2 weeks ahead of street date even). I'm just wondering, since the Paramount/DW announcement came so suddenly, if BD's for Blades of Glory have been pressed already (since it is due to come out next Tuesday) and if any of you guys got your hands on it?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 10:30 AM »
I think it was clear from the announcements that one of the first titles to appear on the HD DVD exclusivity turn-around is Blades of Glory, together with Transformers and Shrek 3.  NO BD versions for these titles and from hereon.  Or did I misinterpret that.  The release schedules for BR does not contain any August 28 releases nor those titles:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/releasedates.html
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2007 at 10:34 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 10:47 AM »
No, I'm just assuming that titles would have been pressed weeks in advance (since it still has to be scheduled to be delivered to retailers who get the titles almost a week before street date). I'm just amazed how this move by Paramount/DW was such a well kept secret (to almost everyone), given the fact that if no orders for the replication of Blades of Glory on BD had been issued (which was scheduled to come out on HD DVD AND Blu-Ray on Aug. 28), then this should have raised a red (no pun intended) flag to industry insiders.
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2007 at 10:49 AM by kings5504 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 11:04 AM »
I read at Avforums that there have been preorders of the BR title.  But the HD DVD preorders for Blades shot up to give it a sales rank of 124 indicating the BD orders were cancelled and shifted to HD DVD.

The move has indeed taken the industry by surprise.  Not a leak to give rumors of an impending announcement from these studios. 
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2007 at 11:13 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 11:17 AM »
I dreamt I bought a BD recorder for Yen150,000 and sold bootleg copies of hi-def Transformers for Yen2500 each   :) :) :)

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 11:29 AM »
In terms of disc sales, Blu-ray should always outsold HD DVD.  In terms of hardware alone, there are a little less than 2 million Blu-ray players in US....of which 1.8 million are PS3s.   Compare that to an estimated 400 thousand HD DVD players (including the xbox add-on drives). The disparity in discs sales should be more than the 2:1 ratio that BD is enjoying now.  Should be more like 4:1 or 5:1........but with the way things are going, HD DVD is like the fly that wont get away.

It will be interesting how the Paramount jump would affect disc sales.....

HD DVD contributors

1.  effect of exclusive Paramount/Dreamworks titles
2.  cheaper HD DVD players in 4th quarter; hd-a2 can be had now for $238 in amazon plus free titles
3.  Exclusive Blu-ray owners becoming format neutrals.

BD contributors

1.  Growing PS3 sales/less expensive BD stand alones
2.  huge BD exclusive releases such as Spiderman trilogy etc....

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 11:29 AM »
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136253-c,dvdtechnology/article.html

Paramount's CTO on Why His Studio Is Dumping Blu-ray

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 11:41 AM »
Paramount Officially Cancels Blu-ray SKUs
from highdefdigest
In a note to retailers, Paramount has officially canceled all previously-announced upcoming Blu-ray releases.

As expected, Paramount won't release a single of its previously-announced upcoming Blu-ray titles, including 'Blades of Glory,' 'Next,' 'Top Gun,' 'The Jack Ryan Collection' and 'Face/Off.' Instead, each of the titles will now be HD DVD exclusive.

Retailers received official word late Monday that all five Blu-ray titles would be cancelled, and that existing orders would not be fulfilled.

Within hours, pre-orders for these titles disappeared from sites like Amazon.com, DVDEmpire and others. (We've updated our own Blu-ray release schedule, as well.)

It remains unclear how long Paramount's previously-released Blu-ray titles will remain on store shelves, and/or whether they're even included in the terms of the studio's exclusivity pact with HD DVD. Needless to say, we'll let you know as soon as any official information comes in.

Those five releases are all great to have.  Top Gun, Face-Off, and the Jack Ryan Collection are very good catalog titles and great for HD Demo, pending reviews of course.
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2007 at 11:42 AM by Munskie »

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 11:45 AM »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 11:57 AM »
Thanks it was a good read.
  I agree.  And pretty sensible and no mudslinging compared to other news releases. 

But I would like to know if costs in replicating discs are cheaper on HD DVD side, why are the savings not passed on to the consumer??  And it seems his final statement puts the supposed 18 month agreement in vague..... "at this moment in time, it's an indefinite commitment"......could be shorter or longer....and would surely depend on market acceptance...