Author Topic: Paramount and Dreamworks to Exclusively Support HD DVD!  (Read 21219 times)

Offline bachwitz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 33
Re: Paramount and Dreamworks to Exclusively Support HD DVD!
« Reply #120 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 01:10 PM »
Meron naman pala Transformers sa Blu-ray eh.....for those who want to import....its 14.99 pounds

Play.com UK

Isnt this the old cartoon version?

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2399
« Reply #121 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 01:17 PM »
If im microsoft, with all the money that they have, I will offer warner brothers and talk to disney and lionsgate. If warner goes exclusive and  disney and lionsgate at least go neutral (better if exclusive haha), Man partys over. We will have a video/picture of Sony's president pissing in his pants. And in December have standalones at 199. There is no stopping them. The reward will be great for Microsoft and toshiba in the end. Think about it Microsoft.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #122 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 01:22 PM »
beatboy is getting the bashing right now at bluray.com........and from BD fanboys at that
Good for him!!  :P

Yes, it does seem so..it's the animation version  :-\

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #123 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 01:36 PM »
If im microsoft, with all the money that they have, I will offer warner brothers and talk to disney and lionsgate. If warner goes exclusive and  disney and lionsgate at least go neutral (better if exclusive haha), Man partys over. We will have a video/picture of Sony's president pissing in his pants. And in December have standalones at 199. There is no stopping them. The reward will be great for Microsoft and toshiba in the end. Think about it Microsoft.

Not to worry, rumors at AVS have it that MS has offered $225M to Warner to go HD DVD exclusive.  Warner is said to seriously consider it and will make an announcement this Friday.  If the rumor is true, ofcourse.   ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 01:41 PM »
Oh man we are very curious of the D-Day news on Fri (Sat our time)....  8)

If I were Warner, I will just accept the $225M na lang. Warner can easily put a trial period term clause on it like 18 months, etc dba...  :P :P

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 02:04 PM »
The only hitch is that Warner is also a BDA board member who also earns royalties from BD sales.  Paramount is just a contributing member.
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2007 at 02:19 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 02:10 PM »

yes it is. the 1986 animated movie...

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 02:22 PM »
Oh man we are very curious of the D-Day news on Fri (Sat our time)....  8)

If I were Warner, I will just accept the $225M na lang. Warner can easily put a trial period term clause on it like 18 months, etc dba...  :P :P
we'll take it as it is now.....rumors.  But I wouldnt mind waking up to some big news come Saturday morning...but surprises are better...just like the Paramount news.. ;D ;D 

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 02:38 PM »
The only hitch is that Warner is also a BDA board member who also earns royalties from BD sales.  Paramount is just a contributing member.

So why are they supporting both formats?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 02:43 PM »
Because Warner is also a member of the DVD Forum.
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2007 at 02:44 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 03:09 PM »
Because Warner is also a member of the DVD Forum.

getting dizzy by this revelations.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 03:21 PM »
Well, just bear in mind that the DVD forum was there first.  So all the CE's and Hollywood studios are members.   Then the BDA was created as a breakaway faction pulling along some of the DVD forum members.  So if you happen to be a member of both, then you have the option to support both. 
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2007 at 08:20 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 06:03 PM »
Interesting to read the response of Amir at AVS on this post:

When they announced delay until further notice for TotalHD it seemed that Warner might actually lean more towards HD DVD exclusivity then staying neutral. It just seems that they very much love and appreciate HD DVD and HDi. Can you give me some of your comments on that, if anything your personal observations. Thanks.

Amir:

I don’t want to speak for them but my belief is that they are trying to treat both equally but hamstrung by lack of functionality, performance and stability of interactivity subsystem in BD. Warner and Disney were adamant about what features had to be mandatory in an HD format in DVD Forum. To have joined BDA later and find that the same features were not mandatory there, must have come as a shock to them given the fact that some of the same members are on the board of DVD Forum so must have heard their pleas yet ignored them in the alternative format.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=851221&page=84

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 06:36 PM »
But I wouldnt mind waking up to some big news come Saturday morning...but surprises are better...just like the Paramount news.. ;D ;D 

Yeah correct! That morning I got a wake-up call by your txt at 7am but it was a great news indeed & worth sharing to the whole world!  ;D Hopefully, I'll get another good wake up call this Sat.  :D

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 08:53 PM »
True, but I think they realize and can't accept that between the two, they are the first format that lost a studio right in the thick of battle.  Two actually.

Just a small correction: BD only "lost" one studio (Paramount): Universal never went with BD since the beginning so there's nothing to "lose" with Universal going HD DVD ;)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 10:26 PM »
i was referring to Dreamworks as the other studio.  Though you can count them both as one if you wish.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Aug 24, 2007 at 11:36 PM »
How Things Now Stand:   from AVS

Number of Titles

Warner Brothers: 3019
Warner Brothers: (Pre 1985 MGM Titles via Ted Turner) 2572
New-Line Cinema 521
Common to both formats: 6112  21.8%

Paramount 5370
Dreamworks 104
Universal 5157
Total HD DVD Exclsuives:  10631   37.9%

Columbia Pictures 4224
20th Century FOX 2919
MGM/United Artist (Purchased By Sony) 1945
Buena Vista 812
Lionsgate 472
Sony Pictures 336
Tri-Star Pictures 241
Disney 238
Miramax 93
Total BD Exclusives:: 11280  40.3%

=====================================================

Total titles: 28,023

Basically 18% of the titles went from Common to HD DVD

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Aug 24, 2007 at 11:48 PM »
Titles currently released as BD that will cease production immediately

Disturbia
Shooter
The Untouchables
The Warriors: Ultimate Director's Cut
Black Snake Moan
Hustle & Flow
Coming to America
Norbit (DreamWorks)
Flags of Our Fathers (DreamWorks)
Trading Places
Freedom Writers
M:I-2
Mission: Impossible
Dreamgirls (DreamWorks)
Failure to Launch
Payback: Straight Up - The Director's Cut
Babel
Black Rain
The Manchurian Candidate (2004)
We Were Soldiers
World Trade Center
Nacho Libre
Reds
Mission: Impossible - Ultimate Missions Collection
Mission: Impossible III
The Italian Job (2003)
Sahara
Aeon Flux
U2: Rattle and Hum
Four Brothers
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Sleepy Hollow

total: 32

Titles previously announced to be released in both formats but will now be released as HD DVD exclusively:

Blades of Glory
Saturday Night Fever
Next
Top Gun
A Mighty Heart
The Jack Ryan Collection
Face/Off
Star Trek: The Original Series - Season One
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (Dreamworks)
Old School
Shrek The Third (DreamWorks)
Flashdance
Ghost
An Officer and a Gentleman
Zodiac
Braveheart
Coach Carter
Forrest Gump
Grease
Save the Last Dance
School of Rock
Son of Paleface
Spongebob Squarepants: The Movie
Star Trek: First Contact
Transformers (added)
The Ultimate Star Trek Collection
Vanilla Sky

Total: 27

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=896112
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2007 at 11:51 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Aug 25, 2007 at 12:53 AM »
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/home_entertainment/video/e3ic5e5748d210215482fe5e2abfedf8b53

Nickerson will exit Warner high-def post
By Thomas K. Arnold
Aug 24, 2007

Steve Nickerson, Warner Home Video's ubiquitous next-generation disc guru, is leaving the company to pursue other opportunities that will be announced shortly.

Nickerson came to Warner in 2000 after 17 years in the consumer-electronics sector. Most recently, he worked with Toshiba, helping oversee the launch of DVD as senior vp sales and marketing.

At Warner, Nickerson was hired as vp DVD marketing and then became senior vp sales for the U.S., a position he held until 2002. After three years as GM of Australia, he returned to the U.S. in 2005 as senior vp market management.

A year later, with the launch of Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD, he became Warner's point man for the new formats as senior vp high-definition media. He was a regular speaker at industry trade shows and conferences and talked up the studio's dual-format approach as giving the consumer the ultimate choice and the studio a chance to maximize high-def disc revenue.

"While it's hard to leave a company like Warner Bros., I have appreciated the opportunities that I have been given here and, especially, the chance to work with so many great people," Nickerson said.

This news item caught some HD people to speculate that it may have something to do with recent developments in the format war.  I wonder if it has anything to do with Warner jumping ship either way soon.   Though Amir has denied any connection at AVS.
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2007 at 12:56 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #139 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 02:11 AM »
Can Toshiba’s David topple Sony’s Goliath?

The industry has been abuzz all week over the back-door incentives used to induce the studios in question to abandon Blu-ray. Paramount was rumoured to have received $50m and DreamWorks $100m for making the switch. Other incentives were said to have included exclusive promotion and marketing support for the studios’ new releases.

But that’s business as usual in Tinseltown. And Sony has been a master at pulling off such deals. If both sides offer similar bribes, what was the clincher that made DreamWorks and Paramount favour HD DVD?

For a start, HD DVD is a cheaper system all around. Unlike Blu-ray, which has a much shallower (and therefore a more delicate) data layer, an HD DVD has its digital information etched deeper beneath the surface just like a conventional DVD—and can therefore be stamped out on much the same sort of equipment as a DVD. That translates into a larger profit margin for the studios.

Meanwhile, because of the robustness of the disc, HD DVD players have proved to be much cheaper to build. Models now start at $299, and are expected to fall to $199 by the coming holiday season. By contrast, basic Blu-ray players start at $449.

As far as stand-alone players are concerned, the price advantage has allowed Toshiba to outsell the Sony camp by a wide margin. More than 400,000 American households are expected to have HD DVD players by the end of the year, compared with less than 300,000 with Blu-ray players.

Why, then, have Blu-ray discs lately been outselling HD DVD versions by two to one? Because Sony cannily included a Blu-ray player in its latest video-game console, PlayStation 3. And while PS3 has not met expectations of selling 6m consoles in America, some 1.4m have nevertheless been snapped up since their launch last November. Market researchers reckon that most—90% by some reckoning—of Blu-ray discs are played on PS3 consoles. But Hollywood’s studios now realise they can’t pin the future of their precious video sales (today one of their main sources of revenue) on a game console that has failed to ignite widespread interest outside a dedicated circle of hard-core gamers.

That’s not all. Engineers who’ve worked with both formats say Blu-ray is a pig to program. While extremely flexible, its programming language, BD-Java, requires lots of low-level code for even the simplest of instructions. The highly skilled programmers needed to do the job don’t exactly grow on trees. And because of the program’s complexity, even the best produce their share of bug-ridden software.

By comparison, writing software for HD DVD using Microsoft’s HDi interactive technology is a doddle—with one simple command doing the task of scores of lines of BD-Java. More importantly, HDi is the key to HD DVD’s better navigation around menus, and its instinctive ability to interact with the outside world.

Thanks to the internet connection built into all HD DVD players, Toshiba machines allow users to do all sorts of nifty things—like re-edit films, participate in online polls and download trailers. Increasingly, it’s beginning to look as though, after the initial attraction of high-definition’s much sharper picture, interactivity is going to be the deciding factor that determines the outcome of the current format war.

DreamWorks, Paramount and Universal are betting that HD DVD’s powerful tools for interactivity will let them make a tonne of money out of selling all manner of online services to customers who buy their discs. That’s why, ultimately, Toshiba’s David could yet topple Sony’s Goliath in the current video wars.

Source

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 08:18 AM »
That article says it all - my views as well.

While most pundits are impressed with the 2:1 sales of BD titles, they tend to forget that revenues aren't everything.  It's PROFITS that matter.   If studios can get more profit selling HD DVD, it makes better business sense going in that direction.   And now that I heard the Sony subsidy in BD production has ended, the more reason to do so.

And let's not forgot about ATTACH rate.  It is clear BD has a poor attach rate.  It enjoys a commanding 5:1 lead in hardware sales, with what is said to be 1.8M installed BD players that includes the PS3.  And yet there's only 2.2M BD titles sold thus far.  That's just an atach rate of slightly more than 1 title for every hardware sold.  In the meantime you have about 350T HD DVD players including the 360 add-on generating 1.3M HD DVD titles sold or an attach rate of more than 4 titles for every player sold.  Indeed, if I were the studio, those figures mean more than mere absolute sales figures. 
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2007 at 08:52 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 08:38 AM »
Good article dts_es &  totally agree!  :)

Well said Alex with statistic support.  ;)

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2399
« Reply #142 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 09:35 AM »
Dont you guys know "attach rate" is not in BDA's or BD fanboys dictionary. They only have numbers in their dictionary which is " 2 to 1".. ;D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 06:42 PM »
About the Paramount/Dreamworks/HD DVD issue, director Michael Bay originally wrote on a blog post:

"I want people to see my movies in the best formats possible. For them to deny people who have Blu-ray sucks! They were progressive by having two formats. No Transformers 2 for me!"

Michael Bay quickly changed his mind, then wrote:

"Last night at dinner I was having dinner with three Blu-ray owners. They were pissed about no Transformers Blu-ray, and I drank the Kool-Aid hook, line and sinker. So at 1:30 in the morning I posted -- nothing good ever comes out of early AM posts, mind you -- I over reacted. I heard where Paramount is coming from and the future of HD and players that will be close to the $200 mark which is the magic number. I like what I heard.

As a director, I'm all about people seeing films in the best quality possible, and I saw and heard firsthand people upset about a corporate decision.

So today I saw 300 on HD, it rocks!

So I think I might be back on to do Transformers 2!"

========================================================

A Director Sounds Off, but Is Soon Reassured
By BROOKS BARNES
The New York Times
Published: August 27, 2007

It used to be much easier for Hollywood to keep its employees under lockdown, so to speak. Faced with a volatile director who has trouble staying away from a microphone? Attach an attack-dog publicist to his hip and — presto! — problem solved.

But the blog age has made it more difficult, as Paramount learned the hard way last week.

Paramount said last Monday that it would exclusively support one of two technologies competing to replace standard DVDs. Instead of picking Blu-ray, Paramount chose the HD DVD format.

It was ho-hum, and back to the pool party as far as Hollywood was concerned. But the director of “Transformers,” Michael Bay, had something else in mind.

Back from a night out with some friends — three of them passionate Blu-ray owners — Mr. Bay fired up his computer and posted a cranky note on his Web site, announcing he had no intention of directing a sequel to “Transformers.”

Paramount executives held an urgent meeting via telephone. They were more bewildered than anything: Rob Moore, the studio’s global distribution chief, had given the director advance notice about the DVD deal, explaining why it made good sense.

Mr. Moore called Mr. Bay to re-explain the decision, urging him to watch the Spartan saga “300,” which Warner Brothers had just released on both HD DVD and Blu-ray.

Mr. Bay promised to post a revised comment on his blog, although he did not move as quickly as the studio would have liked.

He wrote: “At 1:30 in the morning I posted nothing good ever comes out of early AM posts, mind you I over reacted. So today I saw ‘300’ on HD, it rocks! So I think I might be back on to do ‘Transformers 2’!”

As Paramount might have posted on its blog, if it had one: Whew!

« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2007 at 06:46 PM by barrister »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 09:10 PM »
Someone earlier opined that if there's anything good that came out of the Paramount announcement, it was that Michael Bay won't direct the sequel as a result.  Obviously the good news was short-lived.  ;D

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 09:14 PM »
About the Paramount/Dreamworks/HD DVD issue, director Michael Bay originally wrote on a blog post:

"I want people to see my movies in the best formats possible. For them to deny people who have Blu-ray sucks! They were progressive by having two formats. No Transformers 2 for me!"

Michael Bay quickly changed his mind, then wrote:

"Last night at dinner I was having dinner with three Blu-ray owners. They were pissed about no Transformers Blu-ray, and I drank the Kool-Aid hook, line and sinker. So at 1:30 in the morning I posted -- nothing good ever comes out of early AM posts, mind you -- I over reacted. I heard where Paramount is coming from and the future of HD and players that will be close to the $200 mark which is the magic number. I like what I heard.

As a director, I'm all about people seeing films in the best quality possible, and I saw and heard firsthand people upset about a corporate decision.

So today I saw 300 on HD, it rocks!

So I think I might be back on to do Transformers 2!"

========================================================

A Director Sounds Off, but Is Soon Reassured
By BROOKS BARNES
The New York Times
Published: August 27, 2007

It used to be much easier for Hollywood to keep its employees under lockdown, so to speak. Faced with a volatile director who has trouble staying away from a microphone? Attach an attack-dog publicist to his hip and — presto! — problem solved.

But the blog age has made it more difficult, as Paramount learned the hard way last week.

Paramount said last Monday that it would exclusively support one of two technologies competing to replace standard DVDs. Instead of picking Blu-ray, Paramount chose the HD DVD format.

It was ho-hum, and back to the pool party as far as Hollywood was concerned. But the director of “Transformers,” Michael Bay, had something else in mind.

Back from a night out with some friends — three of them passionate Blu-ray owners — Mr. Bay fired up his computer and posted a cranky note on his Web site, announcing he had no intention of directing a sequel to “Transformers.”

Paramount executives held an urgent meeting via telephone. They were more bewildered than anything: Rob Moore, the studio’s global distribution chief, had given the director advance notice about the DVD deal, explaining why it made good sense.

Mr. Moore called Mr. Bay to re-explain the decision, urging him to watch the Spartan saga “300,” which Warner Brothers had just released on both HD DVD and Blu-ray.

Mr. Bay promised to post a revised comment on his blog, although he did not move as quickly as the studio would have liked.

He wrote: “At 1:30 in the morning I posted nothing good ever comes out of early AM posts, mind you I over reacted. So today I saw ‘300’ on HD, it rocks! So I think I might be back on to do ‘Transformers 2’!”

As Paramount might have posted on its blog, if it had one: Whew!

Or a better explanation would be that Bay was "politely" reminded about his contractual obligations by Paramount's legal dept. for the next two Transformers movies, thus the quick "retraction" in his blog :P
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2007 at 09:20 PM by krazy »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Aug 30, 2007 at 10:05 PM »
Looks like there's a petition going on. I received an email:

The High Definition DVD Studio Support Petition Campaign

Paramount & Dreamworks For HD DVD!
Paramount Pictures and Dreamworks have chosen to give up on the Bluray format, and have made their exclusive choice HD DVD. Citing the fact that all HD DVD players from the very first one sold adhere to the same advanced standards as the rest, the consistent users experience, the ease of programming the HDi language, and a host of other technical and business reason, the studios turned their back on the Bluray format and wihdrew further releases from the format.

The "State of Bluray" - not good
We summarise all current observations and insider reports, including Paramount's public statements and it appears that we can only come to one opinion on this matter - a opinion that is almost certain to be shared by those in the know....

Bluray's in bad shape... player profiles not working, manufacturing issues, much higher production costs.. get the goss'...

BD 1.1 spec on the rocks again?
In what is now becoming an absolute joke, too funny to be even called a fiasco, the "new, newer" deadline for all Bluray players to HAVE to meet the mandatory final player specification is approaching on November 1st, yet NO players, ZERO, are currently scheduled to ship that meet the BD 1.1 spec. In fact, all new BD players are being rushed to market before Nov 1st so that they do not have to meet the spec, and the only player to meet 1.1 has now apparently been delayed till 2nd quarter 2008!

Call To Action - Emails Now!
We have been running this campaign for a year, and are now seeing the positive results of HD DVD being a superior proposition. We have shared in successes this year, such as helping to get The Matrix Trilogy brought to market in May. NOW is the time for EVERYONE to join up and make you voices heard to the industry. Click above now to use our preformatted letters and email addresses!

Full article: http://www.campaignhd.com/807_Paramount_HDDVD.html

This is the Golden Hour - Please make your voice heard NOW!
http://www.campaignhd.com/807_The_Time_Is_Now.html
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2007 at 10:31 PM by pchin »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Sep 04, 2007 at 12:07 PM »

Paramount's CTO on Why His Studio Is Dumping Blu-ray
Alan Bell discusses why HD DVD is his studio's exclusive high-definition format.
Melissa J. Perenson, PC World
Tuesday, August 21, 2007 5:00 PM PDT
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136253-c,dvdtechnology/article.html

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 07:12 PM »

From http://www.movieweb.com/dvd/news/72/22472.php

Did Blu-ray Disc Offer Financial Incentives for Studio Support?
Tuesday, September 4th, 2007

This might be making a mountain out of a molehill but it is interesting nonetheless.

In a story from DVD Town, at the recent IFA Consumer Show in Berlin, the question was posed to Warner Bros, 20th Century Fox, MGM, Sony Pictures, and Disney if they had received money to support Blu-ray Disc.

Warner Bros, 20th Century Fox, MGM and Sony Pictures all responded with an affirmative "No." While Disney only said, "No Comment."

It seems odd that they wouldn't have just said "No," but maybe "No Comment" is their standard answer when asked about their business affairs.

The truth of the matter is that there will probably be no winner if the dust ever clears in this war between HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc. Too much money has been spent on both sides and for now it seems like the formats will happily have to co-exist.

At the same time, with these two formats dueling that should should make things easier on the wallets of the real people who decide these things in the marketplace: the consumers.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 07:46 PM »
Since the introduction of the HD DVD and Blu-ray formats over a year ago, Home Theater Forum took the position of neutrality in this format war.

Recently, Paramount and DreamWorks made an announcement that they were going to support HD DVD exclusively. This news greatly reinforces our stance of neutrality we made months ago, as there is no clear winner in this format war in sight.

There are several websites out there who raced to pick a winner months ago based on speculation and self-interest. Though we greatly respect many of the individuals who run such sites, we knew that this war was not even close to being won in its infancy. We knew that both formats offered their own advantages for consumers. We also knew that it would be foolish to attempt to make a decision for consumers as to which format they should choose. Nobody has the right to tell you that you must support one format over the other. All of you have already made intelligent choices based upon your individual needs.

Obviously, this decision by Paramount and DreamWorks absolutely proves that anything can still happen in this format war and that a winner is not as clear-cut as some may have wanted it to be. We predict by this holiday season, HD DVD players will break the $200 price barrier, which, along with added studio support, will greatly influence the wallets of shoppers.

Full article